An SQFG Reportation on Blue1 and SAS: To HEL and back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An SQFG Reportation on Blue1 and SAS: To HEL and back

After not having been able to Do: Oslo despite actually being there, I thought I'd put this quickie report up.

The routing went LHR-OSL-HEL-ARN-LHR, the last 3 legs in one day, on a mixture of Blue1 (KF) and SAS.

Leg 1: LHR-OSL on SAS Norway
    LHR T3 is a zoo, always has been and I guess doesn't look like changing any time soon. *G's of course don't get fast track travelling in Economy, only Eurobonus Golds and Pandions. The line went outside and just about snaked to the WH Smith. Any longer and I'd have at least been able to stand in line outside and have a ciggy.

The London Lounge was as expected, also crowded with the morning rush bunch.

OLCI is a life saver, I'd selectated an emergencification exit row, which was wicked. Legroom is super - as a trademark SQFG shot depicts . We're onboard LN-RPM, a 737-800.

It's nice to be cozy onboard after having successfully negotiated the minefield aka BAA's overpriced tourist traps. They'd give King Power a run for the money.

We taxi out close to the runway quickly. Here's HS-TGK "Alongkorn" operating TG911/910. Little did i know she'd be back the next day to get me... but that's a story for another time...

Note: I say "close" to the runway, not the runway. Heathrow, which serves the small British hamlet London slightly east of it - can't possibly have this much traffic. I can't understand why there are so many planes to be honest. After all, only 6 people visit London every year. Anyway, that means camera whipping out time We're racing LH and BA here. I fear it'll end in tears

Finally, after 4 years, 3 months, 27 days and 12 hours waiting at the threshold of 27R we're off! A quick snap of the T5 annexation and I note a Cathay 744. There are a few other planes there, but I don't know who they belong to. Any ideas?

I'd love to put up some pics of food and service but unfortunately erm - you had to pay for them. Since SQFG and perma-skint go hand in hand, my Kroner and Euros stayed close to me As a result of not serving any food for free, seems like the crew couldn't be bothered to come by either. I think we did have some cabin crew on board. I can't remember.

So what else is there to do but to take pics? Gotta say, mighty pretty country this Norway place.

Comment

2 hours later: we're here. DY (norwegian LCC) and SK dominate of course

What was however, a pleasant surprise was this: A345 HS-TLA Chiang Kham operating the recently inaugurated BKK-OSL run. StarG and I remember this bird. We both flew in it on its' second day of service way back in 2005

Comment

Verdict on SK Y: Blearh.... They're OK in J (not sure about Y+) but in Y they're decidedly unremarkable. I don't know - maybe they didn't put enough effort into selling the food. I definitely didn't have a whole lot of opportunities to buy it even if I wanted to (i.e. had more money). Not impressed. Only the seat, which was by all accounts, a lucky choice, was the saving grace. That, and my ipod.

Next up: Blue1 reports (ps you'd be surprised)

Comment

I love the first pic - the backdrop makes the 2 planes look rather majestic.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

thanks for the first part of the report - enjoying it thus far. Nice to see the TG aircraft at both LHR and OSL! the A345 is being moved off Oslo soon - so its going to be a rare shot!
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Blue 1: OSL-HEL-ARN on KF Y

So - I've now got the chance to try out another member of the SAS group. They are part of that conglomerate, they use the same sites for a few things (OLCI for one) - The flights are indeed codeshared. I'm in Y on the Avro RJ85. KF is also a regional *A member. I guess my expectations were managed well and I wasn't expecting much.

OH-SAO to take me on my first leg. KF has two different layouts for the 7 Avros they have. Some have 5 and some have 6 abreast. No prizes for guessing which one the favoured one is then. SAO is a 5 across one.

I'm pleased to note that the Pilot flying my leg, is the girl in the right seat. Go girls!

These Honeywell LF502's look weedy, but remember, there are 4 of them, which endow this bird with alarming STOL capabilities.

Legroom is adequate, and we're pushed back on time.

Did I say alarming? Look at the angle of attack this bird is good for

At least, Blue1 distances itself from SAS a bit by having their own magazine, and best of all, it's free! (unlike SQ cutlery and crockery, which isn't)

Comment

HEL's almost frozen over. Well, it was pretty damp on arrival into Vantaa.

Finnair rules here. AY as you all know are OneWorld members, along with Royal Jordanian, Malev, LANChile and a few smaller airlines (I can't remember who off the top of my head)

Pics taken from the SAS lounge in HEL. After visiting the LHR/OSL/ARN and HEL SAS lounges - interesting to note that 3 of them have the same ISP for the free internet, the same SSID for the WLAN, and the passwords are identical, only the usernames are different, and even then, the usernames are intuitive - regular visitors will know what I'm talking about)

KF has 5 MD's which i guess they got off SK.

Comment

Ever had an aircraft go tech on you, and still had you off on time? This is where I take my hat off to them. My second leg on them had me going from HEL to ARN.

You see, our original bird, OH-SAR went wonky on us 30 minutes from departure. On an airline with only 7 birds of the type, it'd be hard to fiddle with the schedules. What does KF do? They change the gate to the next one, where OH-SAU was due to depart 15 minutes later to I think (CPH). They announce this to a few pax who ask what happened.

There's no delay. The vast majority of pax are unaware that KF's just done a substitution despite there only being a 15 minute gap. (note: the CPH flight also left on time) so the 15 minutes "bought" by the aircraft swap was sufficient to get both flights dispatched on time. Most airlines would find it way too much trouble to do this - flight crews change a/c, luggage offloaded etc. Logical thinking would be why not just delay one flight 15 minutes? Restecp!

SAU's a 6 abreaster, but it doesn't feel all too bad.

I think they're 6 abreast because they came like that from:

Food is not free (unless you're in Y+), but unlike SK, Drinks like water and coffee are.

We land in ARN early and it's soggy as again

Comment

Verdict on KF Y: I've seen too many Hakkinen/Raikonnen/Makinen interviews on TV. Monosylabilic answers. Car Good. Tyres Good. Setup Good. I'm 'appy.

This lot though, were cheerful, they tried hard and I was so surprised. If you ever have the chance to go on KF when you have a choice between them and SK - go KF every single time!

Next up: SK back to LHR in J.

Comment

I've left enough time between my ARN arrival and departure back to LHR which was on a separate ticket. SK kindly puts me on Standby for the earlier departure which I duly make, but not until the last minute (my BP has an additional piece of paper stapled to it at the boarding gate with my seat assignment)

In J, legroom's not bad on the MD-82.

Rather handsome chap in 2C. No frontal pics. Sorry folks

Regular flyers will know this: Seat backs are advertising billboards
                      [

Ah food! in J, you do get a meal, and this risotto was rather nice I must say:

We arrive on time, and at immigration I encountered a very pleasant officer:
                      "how long are you here for?"
                      "4 hours - off tonight to bangkok"
                      "Nice! Have fun" stamps my passport and I'm off.

Rare to get this sort of officer in LHR I know, but overall, despite having woken up at 5am in OSL to catch the 615 flytoget to Gardermoen with a dodgy stomach - I've had a pleasant day So there you have it. Finland, Sweden, Norway and the United Kingdom in a day

The end.....

Comment

im sure youve answered a million times this question, but what camera do you use SQFG? My pics in darker environments are useless on my Sony T200 - its great in daylight but useless indoors. I need to change asap!

Thanks for the rest of the report, very nice pics!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          I love the first pic - the backdrop makes the 2 planes look rather majestic.
                          Thanks - a slip of the hand actually, and I rather liked the result

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          thanks for the first part of the report - enjoying it thus far. Nice to see the TG aircraft at both LHR and OSL! the A345 is being moved off Oslo soon - so its going to be a rare shot!
                          What plane is going to replace it? Anyway, maybe I'll write up about my TG ride home.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          im sure youve answered a million times this question, but what camera do you use SQFG? My pics in darker environments are useless on my Sony T200 - its great in daylight but useless indoors. I need to change asap!

Thanks for the rest of the report, very nice pics!
                          A Canon 450D

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

What plane is going to replace it? Anyway, maybe I'll write up about my TG ride home.

B777-200ER. They are increasing both LAX and OSL to daily - means not enough A345 to do OSL, so its going to 777-200ER. They can get the 777-200ER off the Melbourne runs which are changing to B777-300, which are coming off Sydney which is going to A346! make sense?

Comment

Enjoyed that.

Thanks for sharing

I gotta try that TG A345 one day. She's a beaut!

OLCI is a life saver, I'd selectated an emergencification exit row, which was wicked.
                              Eh?
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 September 2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X