Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQFG 의 아시아나 일등석 이용 후기 (ICN-HKG OZ F on the antique HL7417)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQFG 의 아시아나 일등석 이용 후기 (ICN-HKG OZ F on the antique HL7417)

Report Below:
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 15 September 2009, 11:48 PM.

I had to do a double take when I saw the title!!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure on this haggard old bird!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
      I had to do a double take when I saw the title!!

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Why?
        I thought I stumbled onto KETalk or OZTalk by accident

Comment

The report - sorry for the delay

Prologue:

I needed a way to get back from Seoul, so having heard lots of nice reviews about Asiana's new First seat, I thought I'd give it a try. Note: The website advertises this seat, but out of 5 of the 747-400's that OZ has, one black sheep (with a different coloured radome), HL7417, has the old style seats. I figured I had an 80% chance of not getting it. Pretty good odds... or so I thought.

Anyway - you know you're off to a good start when you get to use OZ's rather nice (albeit old fashioned) F lounge. This one is the one at the main pier.

A little bit more crowded than the remote pier one I visited last year - it's still nice. It's also a bit larger.

Comment

S-O-L at T-19hours 30 At OLCI - I'd compared the seatmaps, thanks to Stargold's information. Looked ominous because I'd been bumped out of 4A which I had preassigned earlier. There is no 4A on the old plane.

Still S-O-L at T-2 hoursAt check-in: "Is the registration HL7417?"
            Agent: "Yes, and we're terribly sorry about that". No other words needed. We both knew what I was getting at.

Truly S-O-L at T-25 minutes If i rub my eyes hard enough, maybe the registration will change? Yeah, I was still kinda hoping for an EQP CHG at the gate...

Comment

No matter - it'll still be pleasant as I've been told there'll only be 3 in F today, and 1 was a deadheading OZ captain in 3F, and a rather nice old lady in 2A.

We push back a little bit behind the clock, but then, we're told we've got a 2:51 flying time vs 3:40 scheduled. Plus we're at gate 49 and the active departure runway is 34 - a very short taxi, so the block time isn't very much more than the 2:51 either.

On the way out: I spot 9V-SRN operating SQ603 home to SIN. We're right behind her for departure:

A little ironic: About this time last year, I was on 603 being followed by HL7417 operating OZ721 ICN-HKG. And no, they haven't changed the radome since then.

We thunder down the runway and lift off VERY quickly. I was told total load was about 100, so yes, 747's do rocket off the ground at those weights!

Singapore 603 has already made a left heading back down south. We're about to do the same

You do get some a nice view of the airport taking this SID. Most of us call it Incheon Airport. I call it arguably amongst the very best airports in the world.

Incidentally: gate 49 is at the lowest tip of the crescent terminal, runway 34 is the one just below it. See what i mean by a VERY short taxi?

Comment

The Service

By this time - I'd gotten over all the disappointment.

Here are some pics of the cabin:

Layout is 6 pairs of 2 seats each on either side. There are no center seats where the cabin widens out

Pitch looks like it's about I dunno - 80 inches maybe?

ahem.... just to be consistent with my other reports...

Fully flat: Doesn't quite look like 180 to me. Still comfortable though...

HL7417 is such a black sheep that she's even got her own specific safety card!

Comment

They serve brunch on this short flight to HKG:

Willkommen an Bord LH721 Von Incheon Nach Hong Kong! Seriously, the rose was a lovely touch, and reminded me of lufthansa

The appetiser - which was quite nice

The pumpkin soup - which was a little bland

And the mains. This is the beef tenderloin brochette. Which was excellent

As usual, I skipped dessert (sorry Kyo+, no pics of that )

Comment

Tomorrow: Thoughts and conclusions

Comment

Thanks for the TR so far, SQfg!

We thunder down the runway and lift off VERY quickly. I was told total load was about 100, so yes, 747's do rocket off the ground at those weights!
                      Just like MAN-ZRH!

They had Korean abalone rice porridge (jeonbokjuk) on the menu! I've been told that I must must must try that in Seoul.

Comment

How can I forget OZ721 ICN-HKG and the HL7417. I too had the 'privilege' for flying her on that flight. I suppose its safe to say that OZ721 ICN-HKG is to be avoided.

Comment

...but out of 5 of the 747-400's that OZ has, one black sheep (with a different coloured radome), HL7417...
                          Forgot to ask you: how did you know you were getting HL7417 so far in advance? Seatmap?

Most of us call it Incheon Airport. I call it arguably amongst the very best airports in the world.
                          As do I. Fantastic place!

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          How can I forget OZ721 ICN-HKG and the HL7417. I too had the 'privilege' for flying her on that flight. I suppose its safe to say that OZ721 ICN-HKG is to be avoided.
                          Not if you're going back on HUGE AL's inbound aircraft...or so I've heard...
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Just like MAN-ZRH!
                            Even better was in the good ol' days when I was doing UA815/816/839/840 every 3 weeks on the MEL-SYD-MEL route. Whee!

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            As the Huge one says if I were on 721 two days earlier, I'd have gotten a new one Oh well - don't get me wrong, F is still F is still F is still F, and it was still very comfy

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Forgot to ask you: how did you know you were getting HL7417 so far in advance? Seatmap?
                            I only found out at OLCI (which, I did, some 20 minutes before meeting up with you the other day)

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            As do I. Fantastic place!
                            That's the Pineapple Soju talking

Comment

Nice pics per usual SQFG. I too am a convert to Incheon airport!

I hope to try more of OZ as I rather enjoyed my first OZ experience. They also attract very little YQ on award tix - another plus.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X