Camping in the middle of BLOODY nowhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping in the middle of BLOODY nowhere

I could have flown down to spain this summer. Spend some time on an island, let the sun burn my skin and meet some nice girls.
    Instead I went camping. In northern Germany. No, not at the seaside. In the middle of bloody nowhere, 100 km from Hamburg and at least 150 km from the north sea.

The special thing? Well, I brought ~10 friends. And 'roundabout 60 000 other guys. Oh, and Motörhead said they'd come as well!
    What on earth am I talking about? Well, the Wacken Open Air 2009. What's that? Well, that's the biggest metal festival in Europe!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacken_Open_Air
    [TR will ensue]
    Last edited by up and away; 4 September 2009, 03:44 AM.
    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Given that you decided to camp in the middle of nowhere in probably freezing weather, I hope it was with some nice girls!

Comment

Whoops I accidently created this thread in the wrong subforum. could someone please move it into the TR-section? thank you!

Comment

From the first pic, I could tell I was going to like this TR already

Comment

Keep rockin!

Comment

I've just cancelled my next SQ F itinerary and instead plan to follow up and away's footsteps. Couldn't be much happier so far with my change of plans, looking forward to this new experience.

Comment

The whole thing started about a year ago when a friend of mine announced that he had gotten himself a WOA-ticket and that he looked for people who would come along. Since I'd already tried to go to Wacken the year before this was a non-brainer for me. We decided to take along two cars: My friend's VW Sharan and the VW Polo from another guy who came along.

Now you might argue that these two cars offer plenty of room for 10 persons, but take into account that each and every one of us had to take along all his gear for the next 4 days. That includes clothes, food, tents, sleeping bags, some general camping gear and LOADS of beer
              The photo that you can see in the opening post was actually taken after much of the stuff we had brought along was already removed from the car, before that it was filled up to the rooftop so the guys from the back seats couldn't get out. In fact, they also couldn't put their feet down since the footroom was full of beer and gas stoves So we didn't really enjoy the 300 km up to Wacken but it was a better option than taking along the absolutely unreliable Opel that I could have offered.

We had decided to start our trip to Wacken at 12pm so that we'd arrive with the rising sun and still get some decent campground. The poor people who live in Wacken... ALL the cars that want to go to the festival are directed to drive through the small village when they arrive. This doesn't sound too bad until you realize that the road through the village is very narrow and that there are frequent jams, so to live there must feel like living directly under a highway for at least 5 days per year.
              On the top side, the festival is a HUGE cash-cow to each and every inhabitant of Wacken. You can buy bottles of cooled voka for ~€50/bottle and half a liter of iced water for €10 at every corner... and of course there are always some people who will fall into such tourist traps- but not me

Comment

Working...
              X