Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invasion of the LCCs (Penang on Tiger and Jetstar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasion of the LCCs (Penang on Tiger and Jetstar)

05 Aug 2009
    Tiger Airways
    TR 422
    Singapore (SIN) - Penang (PEN)
    A319
    9V-TRB
    Economy Class

Less than a month after my hectic 11 days trip to Europe, its off again to the island of Penang in Malaysia for a short food trip. Recently, Malaysia has opened its skies to the budget carriers of both S'pore and Malaysia, resulting in a sudden surge in flights to Malaysian destinations from Singapore.

Taking Penang as example, during this time last year, PEN was served by 4x daily flights (3x daily SQ B772 and 1x daily MH B734). Today, the flights have increased to 10x daily (1x daily SQ B772, 2x daily MI A320, 1x daily MH B734, 2x daily AK A320, 2x daily TR A319/20, 2x daily 3K A320), with Tiger adding 1 more daily flight by Oct. Of course as a result, prices dropped drastically, from a $300+ return trip on SQ to having only to fork out $29 for a 1-way ticket on Tiger. Of course it was boon time for consumers like us! However, premium service airline, SQ, could not compete effectively using their humongous B772s and thus had to give 2 of their daily flights to regional sister airline Silkair (MI), at the same time codesharing on MI's flights.

I had booked 2 different airlines on this trip as Tiger was cheapest on my departure date, while Jetstar was cheapest on the return. My Tiger flight only cost me S$29 tax inclusive, even though it was only booked about 2 weeks before the flight!!

Tiger departs from Singapore Changi's Budget terminal, and so no fancy facilities and no aerobridges, but hey, I might prefer walking up the plane! Checked in about 1.5hrs before the flight and 2 check-in counters were opened for the flight. The queue for check-in was not very long and was done within 5 minutes. Secured a window and aisle seat with middle empty from the unsmiling Chinese national check-in agent. Boarding pass was a "supermarket receipt" type piece of paper. Through immigration with no queues and off into the terminal for a quick bite before the flight. I rather like the fact that Budget terminal does the security checks just after immigration and thus one can actually buy drinks from the convenience store airside and bring onto the flight, unlike the main terminals where security checks are done at the gate.

About half hr before departure, we proceeded to the gate. Not many departures during this time, only a Cebu Pacific to Manila, 2 Tiger flights as well as a Firefly flight to KL Subang.

Cebu Pacific A320. One out of the only 3 airlines operating from the terminal.

Our plane at the stand. It was 9V-TRB, an A319, and also Tiger's newest plane. It was only about 3 months old!

Boarding just started when we reached the gate. Walked across the tarmac to the plane. Ahh, the smell of A-fuel. Initially wanted to take some photos on the tarmac but with security personnel all around, dismissed the idea. Was welcomed aboard by a friendly malay female crew. Further down the aisle, another equally friendly male crew was helping passengers with their luggage. Another female crew, a Korean, was doing some galley work in the rear galley. Total of 3 cabin crew on this A319.

At the gate.

The cabin of the A319 looked really new and clean! Reached our seats and wow, the pitch was actually quite good, about 31-32". In fact it was much better than their A320 aircraft which I had flown on before. Guess this has to do with that their A320s are fitted with 180 seats (maximum allowable) while A319s have only 144 seats (to enable 3-crew operations).

The good seat pitch for a budget airline.

All the stuff in the seat pocket. Surprisingly, Tiger Tales, their inflight magazine, is actually quite an interesting read.

Boarding was completed soon but the captain came on and announced that due to a slight technical problem, we would have a short delay as the technician fix the problem. No problems as the delay was only 15min. Load seemed about slightly more than half full.

Cabin view. The cabin was very new and clean!

While we were waiting, I saw SQ's A380 depart for Hong Kong.

Also Cebu Pacific A320 leaving for Manila

After about 15min delay, the captain came on again and informed that the fault had been rectified and we would be on our way. The crew then performed the safety demonstration manually. It was interesting to note that all three cabin crew members were immaculately groomed, with the Korean crew having her hair-do bunned up ala SQ style with not a single stray hair. Announcements also sounded very "SQ-ish" but then Tiger is 25% SQ owned, so that must have explained it. Even the safety demo instructions came directly from the older SQ safety demonstration video!! No wonder it sounded so familiar that I could even rattle it off under my breathe.

Taxied all the way to the end of the runway and was number 2 for takeoff.

Takeoff!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCA6GkkXGxo
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Very soon after, seatbelt signs were off and we climbed to 37000 feet. Flight time would be 1hr. The captain also came on and warned of some turbulence upon reaching Penang and requested us to belt up at all times.

Through the clouds.

Climbing to 37000 feet.

The 3 very friendly crew then started their sales service.

Firstly, the snacks/drinks cart were pushed out for sales. Sales ended quite fast as not a lot of purchases were made on this short flight. Following that, duty free items were offered. My friend had wanted to buy Tiger's blanket (very cute with Tiger paw prints all over) which was offered in their duty free magazine, but the Korean crew was very apologetic that it was not offered on this flight. In fact, she gave us the (as described as someone) "I-am-so-sorry-your-pet-has-just-died" look that we felt so bad requesting for it in the first place, haha. In fact, the way that the crew conducted their service and how they handle requests seemed just out of SQ's cabin crew guide book.

A visit to the toilet ensured. The toilet was also very clean and spotless, and surprisingly, the Korean crew even opened the lavatory door for me as I approached the rear galley lavatory! Wow, am I onboard Singapore Airlines or Tiger??

Another cabin view.

As expected, when we were nearing Penang, the weather started to get bad. Seatbelt signs were turned on and the Captain came on and advice everyone to belt up immediately. True enough, we soon started to fly through very rough turbulence. In fact, it was the worst I had ever encountered. We were not only going up and down, but the whole plane was literally being thrown left and right! I was grabbing hard on my arm rest!! Again, our dedicated crew decided that passengers' safety is more important than their own and were still going up and down the aisle checking if seat belts were fastened. Not only once, but the male crew went up down 3 times!! My hero!! I was so fearing for his safety as he was literally grabbing onto the seats to stablize himself.

About to fly through the very turbulent area.

Turbulence only stopped after we were out of the clouds. By then we were also approaching Penang.

Flaps down and final approach.

Landing in Penang.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZyRMdJMdo

We landed a bit late, due to the slight delay. Taxiing to the gate.

Selamat Datang Pulau Pinang

Parked at the gate. We were 1 out of only 2 planes at the terminal.

The other plane, a MH B734

Verdict, Tiger offers a very good alternative to leisure travellers like us to wants to make short trips to regional destinations, especially to Malaysia. Travellers from Singapore no longer needed to pay hundreds of dollars for such a short plane ride when the air fare on Tiger is almost equivalent to the cab fare from airport to downtown. Service is more than acceptable on this flight and for leisure travellers, the lack of a hot sandwich, coffee/tea, newspapers is more than made up with the ultra cheap fare. I can foresee Tiger going to be successful on these short regional routes.

Next up, Jetstar on the return.

My Travel Map

Comment

07 Aug 2009
      Jetstar
      3K 676
      Penang (PEN) - Singapore (PEN)
      A320
      9V-JSH
      Economy Class

After a short 2 nights stay in Penang, it was back to Singapore. Had booked Jetstar for the flight back as it was the cheapest (around S$25 tax inclusive) but initially was quite fearful as Jetstar had canceled the exact same flight just a week ago. We reached the airport 2.5hrs before the flight, and that was when the "fun" begins.

Entered the small terminal building and proceeded to the flight information screen to look up for our flight check-in counters. But no Jetstar flight was to be seen! Scrutinised the screen again but yep, no Jetstar flight to Singapore. Suddenly had the feeling that my fears had come true. We then scoured the whole terminal for Jetstar's ticketing office, but Jetstar did not have one. Wierd, since Tiger had a small office. There were also no check-in counters for the Jetstar flight. Hoping for the worst, we approached the airport information counter to query and the staff actually told us the flight was canceled and it was a frequent occurance! But we just booked the tickets 2 wks ago!! The information staff then told us to approach Malaysia Airlines's ticketing counter as it was Jetstar's GHA. So we went over to MH's office for assistance. I was secretly hoping that Jetstar would transfer us to the Silkair flight that was departing around the same time. But no such luck. The MH staff informed that yes, the flight would be operating and the check-in counters would be opened in 5 minutes, and that the airport information staff also have no idea if the flight was operating as it was frequently canceled recently.

True enough, our flight suddenly appeared on the flight information screens and check-in counters were opened by MH staff. We check-in immediately and was issued boarding passes printed on Malaysia Airlines stock. Cool! Jetstar flight on Malaysia Airlines boarding passes.

As there were nothing much else to explore landside, we cleared immigration and went airside. Penang airport had gone through some refurbishments recently, with some new shops and lightings, but it was still quite cramped.

Cool ceiling lights in the terminal.

Shops were also very limited airside and within 15 minutes, we had finished browsing all of it. So did some plane spotting but there were no planes at all parked at the terminal building! However, as it was going to be the "peak" hour at the airport, planes starting landing one after the other.

First up, we had Silkair's A320 from Singapore.

Then a Thai Air Asia B733 to Bangkok. Interestingly Air Asia do not use aerobridges even though their planes are parked at one. They used their own stairs and passengers have to walk up to the terminal building.

Followed by our Jetstar A320 from Singapore

Also saw a Firefly ATR72, an Air Asia A320 and a Malaysia Airlines B734. Suddenly the terminal felt so packed with people when it was almost deserted just half an hour ago.

Interestingly, the Silkair plane was swamped by ground handling staff once it parked but for the budget carriers like Air Asia and Jetstar, you barely see more than 5 persons (including baggage handlers) preparing each flight. Silkair passengers were also issued boarding passes printed on Singapore Airlines stock and handled by Singapore Airlines ground staff. Seems that Silkair is just SQ in disguise. Why don't SQ just operated a few A320s on these regional routes?

How I wished I was on this plane instead.

Our plane, 9V-JSH. Noticed the difference in number of ground handling equipments?

We were nearing our departure time but still no boarding announcements were made. By this time, the Silkair flight, which was supposed to depart 5min later than us, had finished boarding and started to push back. Only till departure time was an announcement made that we would be experiencing a short delay. After some pax questioned the ground staff, it was revealed that the authorizing person who had to sign the pilot's departure papers was not around. Apparently, it was possible that he was also not aware that the Jetstar flight was operating today and had to rushed down to sign the papers. Boarding started soon after the delay announcement was made and was done by row numbers. It was orderly and quick.

Was welcomed aboard by a crew and directed down the aisle. There were 4 crew onboard today, 3 females and 1 male. In my opinion, Jetstar's crew presented themselves much more casually than Tiger's. It is up to one's own preference on the service delivery method.

The cabin of the A320 looked old and yellowish, but clean. Don't know what is the age of the plane though. Settled down and the seat pitch was really tight! My knees were already touching the seat pocket in front just when seated!! Forget about recline as i it was almost negligible. Might was well or my knees would be crushed if the person in front reclines. Seats were upholstered in leather though.

Leather seats

Very tight seat pitch!!

Stuff in seat pocket. Still prefer Tiger Tales to Jetstar Asia Magazine (how creative is the magazine title)

Boarding underway.

At the gate.

My Travel Map

Comment

After a delay of about 20 minutes, we finally pushed back. Safety demonstration were done manually. Taxied to the runway and we were number 2 for takeoff after a MH B734 and 2 landing flights. Flight time was announced to be 1hr.

However there was some bad news. According to the captain, Penang airport ATC was experiencing some technical problems and so it had to schedule a longer time period between each landing and takeoff. Therefore, we had another 15minutes wait on the taxiway while the MH B734 took off and 2 flights landed. The captain himself sounded fustrated as well!

Finally we took off!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7w5zPHkX8

Made a u-turn and flew into Peninsular Malaysia.

Turning

Climbing to 35000 feet.

Immediately, cabin service started, first with the sale of newspapers, then food/drinks, followed by duty-free shopping. Again, not many takers on this short flight. Cabin crew were friendly, but nothing more. They just lacked the "poshness" of the Tiger crew, but it is up one one's personal preference. The whole time, I was trying to be comfortable in the super cramped seat. I really cannot imagine flying on Jetstar to Taipei for 4 hrs!!!

Cabin service.

Cruising

Then for the lavatory visit. Horrors!! The lavatory could only be described in one word, GROSS!!! Not that it is smelly, but the whole toilet seat cover underside was stained by yellowish and brownish particles and was really disgusting. You will not need much imagination to know what they are... In fact, it was almost the filthiest toilet seat cover I had ever seen in my whole life!! Did not take a photo of it as I rushed out immediately after doing by business. Even if a photo was taken, I would not have dared to post it here, fearing it would spoil my readers' appetites for 3 days.

Soon, descend started. We did not hold much and were basically just doing a very quick descend and then straight into Changi. Guess the pilot was trying his best to make up lost time.

Airbrakes up.

Flap down

Landing soon

Landing
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUHfnkVBBk

We landed about 20min late and had a quick taxi to the gate. Passing a Jett8 B742F.

Parked at the gate, beside an Air Asia A320. Terminal 1 is now Changi's unofficial "budget" terminal, with Air Asia being the main occupant with more than 25 flights a day.

Apart from the delay. Jetstar offers the standard LCC service. I don't feel that they are in anyway much better than Tiger, even though they use Terminal 1 in Changi. Planes are clean, crew friendly but they really do need to do something about those toilets! But the main intention of this post is that with the influx on LCCs on the regional routes, would I continue to fly on full-service carriers? Yes, only if the prices are low enough, or else it is LCCs for me as there is very little differences in service on such a short flight to justify the price differential. SQ or MI would never be able to match the LCCs prices on these very short flights. Gone are the days when these regional routes (KL, Penang and Jakarta) were cashcows for the airline. With even more flights added by LCCs to more regional destinations such as Jakarta and Bali, I can only see SQ's capacity to these destinations being reduced further or even transferred to MI.

Hope it was a nice read for all of you. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

My Travel Map

Comment

You are lucky to have a good Tiger crew to Penang - as the few flights I took on Tiger, the crews were very much in dire need of some retraining in esp customer service and courtesy.

Comment

oh yes - abt 3K very stained n looks horribly dirty toilet at the front - took the same plane or was it a few 3K planes have such bad toilets to KUL abt 2 weeks ago. Its sad that 3K allow such and didnt change just the toilet seat to spoil the whole aircraft - which the interior was farily clean.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              oh yes - abt 3K very stained n looks horribly dirty toilet at the front - took the same plane or was it a few 3K planes have such bad toilets to KUL abt 2 weeks ago. Its sad that 3K allow such and didnt change just the toilet seat to spoil the whole aircraft - which the interior was farily clean.
              Yah, even public toilets are in better shape.

My Travel Map

Comment

Why do you prefer to have flown MI?

I would be interested to know what the difference between a/c as operated by MI and the LCCs? They just A320s..

Is it true to say the hard products ( seats, seat pitch ) are similar....

...but the soft product ( IFE, food ) differs..

Comment

Interesting insight into LCCs. Thanks for sharing. The security didn't stop you from snapping those tarmac photos at the BT?

Comment

Well, guess it is happening. SQ pulling out of Penang!

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for the TR, esp that of Tiger Airways - it's a refreshing read, after all the bad press the airline has been copping in Singapore and Australian media.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        Why do you prefer to have flown MI?

I would be interested to know what the difference between a/c as operated by MI and the LCCs? They just A320s..

Is it true to say the hard products ( seats, seat pitch ) are similar....

...but the soft product ( IFE, food ) differs..
                        Hard products are not similar between MI and LCC. AFAIK, MI has a far more superior seat pitch with the middle seat being wider than the aisle/window

Comment

Working...
                        X