VS201 Upper Class BNE to LHR June 28 A340-600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VS201 Upper Class BNE to LHR June 28 A340-600

Unfortunately due to a family bereavement I had to travel to the UK from BNE and with my wife and sister in law. A quick search of fares quickly threw up VS as offering $6500AU return each in J. Compared to SQ J at $10+ and one world just as bad, it was a no brainer from a fiscal standpoint. They don't fly direct from BNE so offer a code share in Y with DJ (Virgin Blue) which is only a 90 min flight and will allow 30kg baggage throughout all sectors.

I must confess that I am not a VS lover and it has been a couple of years since I traveled with them last and I had read about cut backs recently so approached the flight with some trepidation. At least KF miles earnt by flying with them.

The BNE to SYD with DJ was as good as any flight in Y is. A plus was the DJ agent checked in all luggage to SYD, and although had no VS Upper Class tags, used V Australia business tags. The crew were great, the plane very good and the service was excellent. On arrival at SYD domestic they transferred us to the international terminal free stepping from gate to a waiting bus on the tarmac. I was expecting this portion of the trip to be the pits, but was pleasantly surprised.

At SYD we checked in and were issued customs express cards, boarding cards for SYD to HKG and onward from HKG to LHR. The check in agent was excellent and VS's own ground crew. Invitations to the Air NZ lounge was handed over with a cheery description of how to get there. The Air NZ lounge at SYD is huge and well appointed. Nothing special in terms of food or drink but staff work the lounge very well clearing plates and the wifi worked flawlessly. Its busy but heaps of seating available.

On Boarding VS201 we took our seats in the infamous herringbone set up. I have always actually quite liked this myself, but VS's cabin is looking a bit shabby now with chips and so on, my wife having to swap seats as the headphone connection didn't work. That said, it is an excellent seat for sleeping, but limited recline makes it annoying for lounging. Forget speaking to your travelling companions due to the set up but the privacy is awesome especially those seats which face the wall of the middle rows.

Orders were taken for drinks after take off and meal choices. Once airborn the service commenced, but to be honest its very poor generally. The dinner service left my wife finished her meal before mine had even started and disarray in the cabin. I was later to find out from a crew member that VS have removed 1 cc from the Upper Class completely which is why even the FSM has to pitch in now just to try to get a service finished.

Sleeper suit please ? No chance. A day flight, albeit 8+ hours means they dont load. Aminity kit are a pair of socks, eye shades, toothbrush and a shoe bag (er..) The FSM came round and offered a basket of moisturizers, polo mints and pens.

The AVOD system is good with a half decent selection of films and British TV. Whilst Air NZ let you watch your TV from gate to gate, VS do not turn it on until after the crew have been released for duties and its turned off about 15 mins before descent. The "noise cancelling headset" is actually just a standard over the ear large headset which blocks noise by virtue of its size rather than any electronics.

Dinner was served ala tray with linens etc. Perhaps most amusingly there are some salt and pepper pots in the shape of airplanes which bore the legend embossed underneath “pinched from Virgin Atlantic”. Very amusing Converting the seat to a bed with matress cover, duvet and full size pillow, some sleep later we arrived in HKG and made our way to the Virgin Club House. Its smallish but excellent with superb staff who are so attentive it makes you wonder if you have been flying with the same airline. Some hot food, shower and some internet mail later we were soon on board again for the LHR sector.

Different crew obviously, but much the same experience and the same plane. The crews are clearly so stressed now with a semi full cabin that they cannot offer a decent service level and more waits for food, drinks and so on. At least this sector has sleeper suits loaded which was a plus.

Landing at LHR I did not have time to make use of the Rivivals lounge, but I have in the past and it is an excellent lounge to step off a long haul sector into. Showers, cooked breakfast and your limo waiting. Baggage was a lottery experience and it appeared priority was missing completely.

In summary I find VS a curious airline. The ground services are excellent. By that I mean that you would be hard pressed to name any other airline which offers J class pax what they do for the money. In the air they are struggling in a way that only accountants know how to do by cutting back costs here and there to the degree that it simply wrecks the admiration you had before you stepped onboard. Its not terribad, just not polished and disorganised.

With further costs being cut and one of the two daily flight LHR to HKG being lost would I fly VS again ? On balance, yes. Simply put they are hard to beat on the ground with the added value there, in the air there is a decent bed product and with a fare that came in so much cheaper than any other carrier. If I had to pay near SQ J fares then simply put SQ all the way!

To come LHR to BNE and the joys of the VS home airport experience including lounge and private dedicated security channel.

Menu's
    SYD – HKG

Dinner
    Starters
    • Bocconcini mozzerlla salad with ham, Roma tomato & pesto dressing
    • Carrot and orange soup served with a choice of warm bread
    • Fried sesame prawn cake with chilli black bean sauce

Main Courses
    • Chicken breast in lemon and shallot sauce with champ potatoes, brocollu and carrots
    • Paprika dusted fillet of beef with sweet potato wedges, asparagus and demi-glace
    • Aubergine, courgette and sweet potato parcel with kipflier potatoes and cherry tomato concasse
    • Pork with steamed rice, asparagus & mixed vegetable stirfry

Cheese
    Our cheese selection with assorted crackers, dried apple and apricots
    King Island Blue, Cobram Cheddar, King Island Double Cream

Dessert
    • Apple crumble with crème anglaise
    • Kiwi Fruit panna cotta with tropical fruit compote

Smaller Bites
    • Roasted vegetable and guacamole panini
    • Beef and Guiness Pie
    • Nasi Gorenge with satay chicken and Malaysian satay Sauce

From the Bar
    Abosolute Vodka, Bacardi, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Hennessy VOSP, Dewars 12 yo. Glenfiddich 12 yo Malt, Jack Daniels, Grahams Port, Grand Marnier, Kaglua & Baileys. Heineken & Carlsberg.

Wine
    • Champagne & Sparkling
    • France, Chanpagne Pannier Brut NV
    • France, Berry's Extra Dry Blanquette de Limoux nv

White
    • France, Le Coq d'Oc Chardonnay 2008
    • Portugal, Cortello 2008
    • Chile, Monte Verde sauvignon Blanc

Red
    • France, Massamier La Mignarde 2007
    • Spain, Malumbres Tinto 2005
    • Australia, Berry's Australian Shirraz 2007

HKG – LHR

Dinner

Starters
    • Seasonal Leaf Salad with smoked duck, carrot, pomelo, lime & brown sugar dressing
    • Carrot Soup
    • Aubergine and mascarpone money bag with red pepper coulis

Main Course
    • Chicken Piccara with orecchiette pasta, spinach, carrots & tomato sauce
    • Beef tenderloin with crack pepper & red wine jus, anna potatoes, brocolli & pumpkin
    • Potato gnocchi with basil pesto
    • Prawn & sole in kwai fa honey sauce with steamed rice and garlic choy sum

Cheese
    Our cheese selection with assorted crackers, dried apricot and kaffir lime salad
    Danish Blue, Scottish Mild Cheddar
    Brie

Dessert
    • Pumpkin Flan with vanilla sauce
    • Poppyseed panna cotta with tropical fruit salsa

Breakfast
    • Selection of breakfast cereals – cornflakes, weetabix, fruit n fibre, special K
    • Toast with a selection of preserves
    • Raspberry Muffin
    • Apple Danish Pastry
    • Seasonal Fresh fruit with natural yoghurt
    • Bacon Roll with tomato ketchuip or brown sauce
    • Scrambled egg with bacon, sauteed mushrooms, grilled tomato and toast

Placeholder

Comment

Working...
    X