DAC-SYD via BKK on TG Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC-SYD via BKK on TG Y

Hi everyone!! This is my first post to this forum. After months of reading excellent trip reports, finally I have decided to write my own report as I have overcome the shyness of taking in-flight pictures. Comments and are always appreciated. Thanks for reading.

This relatively short report covers my trip with my wife from DAC to SYD via BKK on TG Y in last January. Apparently January is the busiest month for travelling to Australia, as it was really hard to get a confirmed reservation. I had on-request reservations in SQ, TG and CX for couple of weeks and in late December my travel agent informed me that he could only confirm the TG one for the quoted fare. SQ could be possible if I were willing to fork out extra US$150 per ticket. According to the travel agent, Cathay was the cheapest (DAC-HKG sector by Dragon Air) but no seat available for HKG-SYD sector for the whole month of January!! So we settled for TG reluctantly. I was so hoping to be on SQ A380 for this trip, as my on-request reservation had that flight.

However, I was relieved to see our BKK-SYD sector will be by B77-200ER, which has better seat pitch and AVOD than the B777-300 does. The day before the flight, I checked in online for both sectors, as for the 2nd leg I chose the last row, as only that row has 2-3-2 layout, while the rest of the cabin has 3-3-3, not very comfortable while traveling with a partner.

Date:21/01/09
    Flight: TG 322 (DAC-BKK)
    Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
    Seat: 34 J,K

At DAC, Thai has a dedicated counter for passenger checked-in online, which is next to the J class counter. There was no line but the agent was busy doing something so he pointed us to the J class counter. So far so good!! Immigration took around 30-40 minutes which is usual for DAC.

DAC tarmac scene

TG A330 at the gate

Inflight:
    It was a 2:30 hr flight and no menu was served. In-flight entertainment was via overhead monitor, which showed documentaries and sports program. I guess this sector was too short to have feature films. For meals, I had Indian lamb curry while my wife had roasted chicken. The lamb was excellent and moderately spicy while my wife’s chicken was very bland (yes, I tasted that too).

TG A330 interior

My spicy lamb curry meal

Roasted chicken for my wife

BKK Airport:
    We arrived on time at the BKK airport. This is the first time I am transiting via the new Suvarnabhumi, last time was like three years ago via the old Don Muang. We had a 5 hours layover, and I found the whole transit experience very uncomfortable. First of all, when we landed (around 5:00 pm local), it was so hot inside the terminal; I was sweating, while at night it was almost freezing. We first planned to spend the time at Lou Tavern Day Rooms but later decided to against it. We had the worst Burger King meal that I ever tasted and there was not much to do inside the transit terminal other than browsing/shopping at duty free. Over all, I think SIN, HKG and KUL offers a much better transit experience than BKK does.

Touchdown at BKK

BKK terminal

Foodcourt

Transit area

Duty Free

However, soon it was time to take our next flight to Sydney.

Date:21/01/09
    Flight: TG 995 (BKK-SYD)
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
    Seat: 61A, B

Though the flight was full, boarding was done in an organized and orderly fashion. We had the last row seats, which looked nice as the flight was pretty full. Soon after take-off, we realized that it was too noisy back there as it was quite impossible to enjoy in-flight entertainment because of consistent engine noise. I have experienced last row in SQ and EK 777 before but never experience that much noise. So, after some try, I gave up on in-flight entertainment, which was nothing exceptional to begin with. TG’s AVOD is nowhere close to ICE or Krisworld. The touch screen is non-responsive and very slow at times. It was a very disappointing experience.

Economy seat

1st generation AVOD

However, We had no complaint with the food. It was tasty and not bland at all, which is not very common for in-flight meals. Also, the seats were much wider than EK 777 seats and also had better seat pitch.

Y menu cover

Dinner menu

Breakfast menu

My prawn w/ rice

Pasta for my wife

Omelet and sausage for breakfast

The landing was smooth and we were out for immigration in not time. I found SYD immigration much more efficient than their US counterparts and the Customs was a breeze too.

Somewhere over western Australia

Thanks for reading my first trip report. Comments and suggestion are always welcome.

Comment

Ooh a rare one! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks longhorn321 and welcome to SQT.

I thought I'd replied already

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Ooh a rare one! Thanks for sharing!
        On FT I did a trip report on TG between BKK & DAC a couple of years back.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, longhorn321, and thanks for sharing.

BKK seems to be one instance where opening a new airport / terminal damaged the aspiration to become a preferred hub.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks JJpb3, Kiwi and SQflyergirl for your comments.

Comment

Working...
            X