No announcement yet.

Kyo DOes Austria (aka Kyo's First Visit to Europe) [FINALLY FINISHED]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(and I'm sure also to zhoux's great delight)
    almost fainted.......

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Actually, IST is already half-posted somewhere on these forums (the flight report on TK, that is)... will do the earlier bits umm... sometime...

I'm keen to get DXB covered, actually.. but to do that, IST first.
      [IMG]
      Istanbul's next... but that's another TR!

Oh - one final bit... I did manage to bring that Sachertorte all the way back, flown across Eastern Europe, across the Bosphorus and hamams of Istanbul,
      I searched and I searched but nothing on IST by kyo and kyo+!

Broken promises...

I want to read about your experience in the hamam... what to do.. what not to do... what to see (the architecture!) ... don't want to make a faux pas in there. I know cameras are not allowed, the baths are segregated, but I don't know anything else.

Yes, it's the Cagaloglu I'm taking about.

Comment

Ooh... that's because the IST segment was only up to the TK flight. You're right, I somehow got sidetracked into posting the Oslo TR first. Well, I just need to find the right motivation, is all. I've got two trips to IST worth of pics now, so it may be quite an effort!

Anyway I couldn't take photos really in the hammam. I did manage to sneak one or two, however, but the results are rather blurry and not up to the high standards on these forums

Thanks for the reminder...

Comment

Anyway I couldn't take photos really in the hammam. I did manage to sneak one or two, however, but the results are rather blurry and not up to the high standards on these forums

Thanks for the reminder...
          How did you 'manage to sneak' one or two pics? Mobile phone?

Is the architecture really nice?

At least tell me what to expect, what to do, etc in a short summary. I can't wait for your TR. I might pop down to Cagaloglu this weekend.

Comment

The thing is, I can't comment for the women's side... but the men's was 'full of atmosphere', put it that way.

I've been to the two famous hammams there on different occasions and I must say they *are* different. Plus, the second time, I had the services of Kemal's relative/uncle who I'm sure gave me more than my money's worth... so I ain't complaining. Not everyone will get that, and I'm sworn to not reveal the price...

The guy's massage wasn't what you'd expect. I expected pummeling (which I got a fair bit of), but the thing that struck me the most was the soap suds... you can barely see before they buffet you again and again...

It's a bit sado-masochistic... but that's for the guys. And it's quite an experience getting baked on the marble slab also. But would I do it again? Yep. Shame about the prices they charge, though...

Comment

This must be a sanitized version. What 'atmosphere' are we talking about? Which was the other famous one you went to? We were given three names by the concierge. I need to read up on them first before making a decision.

How much does the whole affair cost? How much to tip? How long does the whole thing take?

I had a hammam and massage at the hotel. 120 mins. 295 TL. Not terribly exciting. But all in the comfort of my own room, and I snuggled off to bed straight away.

Comment

I really enjoyed this TR, and even though Austria isn't in my travel plans for the next few months, I'm now thinking of adding it to my TDL. Thanks for sharing it.
                Last edited by sumitsan; 11 June 2010, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X