Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Istanbul, not Constantinople: A report on TK's New 77W in First Suites SIN-IST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    ...And I'm the kind of girl who sits on a boat throwing up.

I'd get Kemal to take me around. There are some places I'm happy to potter around by myself. IST is not one of them places.
    He wasn't all that cheap the time I used him - about 100 USD for the day, but he's very willing to take you wherever you want to go.

The Kemalmobile

Kemal bey himself - a member of the Kyo+ alliance

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      He wasn't all that cheap the time I used him - about 100 USD for the day
      Like with most transactions in Istanbul - you should negotiate.. if you don't, then expect to pay. Having said that, I don't have a problem paying someone who came through for me when I needed it.

This is not an excuse for him to rip you off, either - so, just bargain a little.. I'm sure his price will drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Like with most transactions in Istanbul - you should negotiate.. if you don't, then expect to pay. Having said that, I don't have a problem paying someone who came through for me when I needed it.

This is not an excuse for him to rip you off, either - so, just bargain a little.. I'm sure his price will drop.
        I said he wasn't cheap. I didn't say he wasn't worth it - cause he was.

Comment

Enjoyed this TR! Always nice to see the other *A carriers products and services. Well documented of course!
          blog

Comment

Kemal bey himself - a member of the Kyo+ alliance
            ...think I'm seeing double here - seems like he's part of the Nibbler alliance also

Comment

Originally posted by haf View Post
              Enjoyed this TR! Always nice to see the other *A carriers products and services. Well documented of course!
              Shame that they're withdrawing it though

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
              ...think I'm seeing double here - seems like he's part of the Nibbler alliance also
              Can you earn ball of string points across the network?

Comment

Can you earn ball of string points across the network?
                You used to be able to, but due to recent "enhancements" these have been replaced with vomited hairballs instead, not nearly so attractive

Comment

Did you "feel like a Star??"

Loved Istanbul (I stayed at the W on my trip there this February).

Another nice one! Brava SQFG!

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                    Did you "feel like a Star??"

Loved Istanbul (I stayed at the W on my trip there this February).

Another nice one! Brava SQFG!
                    Definitely felt like a star. Maybe not quite Kevin Costner levels, but a star nonetheless. But - to be truthful, the "star" treatment came more from the 9W crew aboard than the TK crew. Honestly - the difference between those two crews were quite marked.

Put it another way, if TK were to go it on their own (and btw, they're not, they're abandoning the concept of F) - they might struggle.

Comment

A bar, galley and lav complex separate F from J. Interestingly, this area has parquet flooring. Very unique, I've certainly never seen this elsewhere
                      EK has light coloured fake parquet flooring in it's 777 ER. The absence of which, immediately upon boarding not so long ago, alerted me to the horror that they had switched out my 777ER for an old (non-suites) 777. I still shudder...

Comment

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                        EK has light coloured fake parquet flooring in it's 777 ER. The absence of which, immediately upon boarding not so long ago, alerted me to the horror that they had switched out my 777ER for an old (non-suites) 777. I still shudder...
                        That's another airline i'd like to try longhaul - my only experience being a few HKG-BKK's and a solitary DXB-BOM 10 years ago. I think that was my 3rd last smoking flight.

Speaking of which - been 9 years since I had the chance to light up on a plane

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          The business class seat looks to be quite different to VS/NZ and also to the CX imitation.
                          It is a dupe of the AC J seat...

Comment

That's another airline i'd like to try longhaul - my only experience being a few HKG-BKK's and a solitary DXB-BOM 10 years ago. I think that was my 3rd last smoking flight.

Ha! I used to go on TK from LHR-RUH via IST in the 90s for work (client would pay full fare J and we younguns would find the cheapest Y fare possible and keep the change. Yes, our boss endorsed this practice... in fact I think it was his idea) anyway the point is on the IST-RUH sector, all the Turks would light up as soon as they sat down. Some before, I suspect. As a smoker in those days I loved being able to smoke during take off! The flight attendents did try to stop it, but soone gave up as they were powerless against the mighty Nick! (Nick O'Tene)

Comment

PS. EK F was fantastic, even in the old F. Attendents were really naturally frendly (some more professional than others it's true) and the food, comfort, AVOD and DXB facitlities were all incredible. For me, a match for SQ. I highly recommend. I was MLE-DXB-JNB-DXB-CMB

Comment

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                                Ha! I used to go on TK from LHR-RUH via IST in the 90s for work (client would pay full fare J and we younguns would find the cheapest Y fare possible and keep the change. Yes, our boss endorsed this practice... in fact I think it was his idea) anyway the point is on the IST-RUH sector, all the Turks would light up as soon as they sat down. Some before, I suspect. As a smoker in those days I loved being able to smoke during take off! The flight attendents did try to stop it, but soone gave up as they were powerless against the mighty Nick! (Nick O'Tene)

Speaking of smoking (and don't get me wrong - I think it's a nasty habit and if one wants to quit, one should do everything possible to kick the habit) - but ...

I kinda miss those old days when I'd go to the back of the plane and hang out with a bunch of young adult travellers in the smoking seats. There were always quite a few. It seemed that the standard form was to share cigarettes from all over the world and exchange tales over some drinks.

It was a very social, very friendly atmosphere (to make up for the smog) and I certainly made a few friends along the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X