Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cawhite
    replied
    Sounds like you're having a great trip! Thanks for sharing with us!

Leave a comment:

• viraj735
    replied
    Wow that looks great! A very exciting trip report so far!
    Thanks
    Viraj

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    What to do when near a beach.

As I have mentioned, I am not a beach person, so when I am near the sea, the things I want to do have to be quite different from lying down in the Sun.
    Well, one of the fun things to do is to go diving.

I went to do a few dives with a local outfit. It was fun and I got to do my deepest dive on record yet. But I wanted my friend to experience diving. He had already had the opportunity in the Maldives, but he had made every excuse not to do an intro dive. This time, one of the dive instructors offered to let him try in shallow water from the beach before committing to the actual dive. My friend accepted the offer, tried it one afternoon and decided to go the next day. I went along as well.

I had not taken my underwater camera case with me, so the following pictures were taken by a local diver accompanying us.

After having all the gear on, there was a bit of practice on the beach, similar to what my friend had done the day before.

After that, we took a boat to the dive site

And my friend had fun during his first dive, 10m below the surface.

And so did I, playing with a starfish.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    Originally posted by StarG View Post
    Nice report & pictures DeltaFlyingProf.
    Thanks. I will post more tomorrow. Tonight, I am playing with my new toy!
    It will be useful for upcoming TRs

Leave a comment:

• StarG
    replied
    Nice report & pictures DeltaFlyingProf.

Leave a comment:

• jjpb3
    replied
    Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
    jjpb3, this is what you've been waiting for. Hope you enjoy it.
    So far I am.
    I am not really a beach person, but I must say Boracay has a beautiful beach of white sand that never gets hot, even in the direct vertical sun at noon. That makes it very enjoyable to walk barefoot and go in and out of the water at will.

As many superb beaches, the downside is that there are too many tourists and the development of commerce and resorts is damaging to the full enjoyment of quiet times.
    Exactly my brother's assessment. He won't take me to Boracay because of that , though I've been raring to see for myself.

I guess I'll take his word now. Besides, he promises to be my guide to the beaches, in that part of the Philippines, that do meet his standards.
    More to come...
    Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    jjpb3, this is what you've been waiting for. Hope you enjoy it.

In Boracay, we stayed at the Boracay Regency Beach Resort.

It has two nice pool areas surrounded by rooms. Here is the newer one, but the older one is almost as nice looking.

Initially we had booked a superior room. I really do not recommend it!!! No view and older rooms. Unfortunately, everything was full and we could not get into a better room until the last day. We did not take pictures of the rooms, but otherwise, they are clean and if you go for a deluxe or premier room, you will like it.

This hotel has a highly regarded buffet breakfast and it is indeed really good. You can take it sitting in the front by the beach if you go early. Luckily, jet lag meant we were early to rise and early to bed, so we took breakfast in the best spots.

The view from that spot is superb

I am not really a beach person, but I must say Boracay has a beautiful beach of white sand that never gets hot, even in the direct vertical sun at noon. That makes it very enjoyable to walk barefoot and go in and out of the water at will.

As many superb beaches, the downside is that there are too many tourists and the development of commerce and resorts is damaging to the full enjoyment of quiet times. For those who like that, there is also night life. And lots of bars and restaurants along the beach.

More to come...

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    This part of the trip report is purely verbal as we did not take any more pictures until we arrived at the hotel.

When closing the door, the FA started making announcements about the flight to Kalibo/Boracay, but in that aircraft, I could not understand much of what she was saying over the PA. I was a bit puzzled, because I know there is Kalibo (KLO) and Caticlan (MPH) airports to get to Boracay... I checked my boarding pass many times and it did say Manila to Caticlan, even with the new flight number. Not to Kalibo!!! So I thought, maybe she is a bit confused, but not much to worry about. By now it was dusk and we were in flight. We got served some beverage and peanuts or such snack.
    As we now approached Boracay, she made announcements that we were about to land in Kalibo!!?? What the h...???
    Well, no need to panic or worry, let's just see what happens...
    We landed and got off the plane... By now, it was dark, but as we walked to the terminal, I looked up and saw the big lit sign in the night sky informing us that we were in Kalibo...
    So we went to get our luggage with all the Korean tourists who were the other passengers on board.

While waiting by the luggage belt, there was this lady going around giving some information. She told us we were to take the bus to the Jetty and from there we'd take the boat. The bus was paid for by the airline.
    She then asked my friend if he was Korean. She was desperately looking for someone who could speak Korean to explain to the rest of the passengers what the rest of the program was...
    She finally found a stern looking Korean lady who spoke English very well and she told her that we were all to get on the bus. The Korean lady was really not amused and after everyone got their luggage, it took maybe another 30 minutes before the bus departed.

The bus ride was about 1h30 and we arrived at the jetty. There things got a bit confusing, because all the Korean pax had the transfer to the hotel included but we did not. As it turns out, they were staying at the same hotel as we did. So, after being told that I would have to buy a ticket for the boat, I proceeded to buy said ticket. It is a bit strange the way things are arranged... There are two windows. At one of them, you buy the ticket for 30PHP. At the next ticket, you buy two surcharges, one being an "environmental fee" and the other a tourist fee of some kind. I presume the locals do not pay these fees. The fees totaled 50PHP if I remember correctly.
    We got on the boat (a picture of such boat will be posted with the return portion of the trip report) and arrived on the island. There, a representative of the hotel, who was there for the Korean tourists told us to take a tricycle and helped us find one.
    We took it and arrived at the hotel, ready to check in quickly and get a well needed rest!

Itinerary up to this point:

In our next episode: The stay in Boracay.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    There is definitely a very well-developed Korean customer base to the Visayas. The Mactan Shang has an extensive Korean selection at the breakfast buffet (and a much more limited Filipino selection ). There are even a number of prominent signs in Korean in Cebu City / Mactan.

Eye-catching indeed.

Looking forward to the Boracay installment. I'm interested to read what you and your friend thought of it.
    We saw a lot of Korean food offerings in Boracay indeed! And you will read our thoughts about Boracay soon!

Leave a comment:

• SQflyergirl
    replied
    Much enjoying it so far - Like you, I'm a fan of that Asiana F lounge

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    Current position:

Getting back to the trip report, our flight started to get announced as delayed... First only by 30 minutes, but progressively it got delayed more and more.
    We watched quite a few flights boarding. Some going to Caticlan for other airlines. As far as the original flight on which we had tickets, we did not even see it announced. I wonder if it got canceled. It is really strange because pretty much every flight on this route is totally full so it'd be difficult to cancel it and fit all the passengers on other flight. I have no idea what the reality was. Maybe our flight got renumbered and moved forward in time?

In any case, at about 4:30pm we started the boarding through gate 4:

Don't you like the hi-tech display?
    Of course we had to walk on the tarmac to the plane.

The plane was a Xian MA60. The MA60 is Chinese made and based on a Russian Antonov An26 cargo plane design.

We got inside through a door at the back:

You'd better not be too tall to get in:

And for me, being given seat 1C, I found myself in a very uncomfortable position!

Luckily, there were a few seats near the back that were unoccupied and I moved there, giving me some space.

In the next post, I will cover the end of the flight and our final arrival in Boracay. Suffice to say for now, that things did not happen quite the way we expected!
    Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; 15 December 2008, 07:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Are you talking about the glass doors you look through to the tarmac ?. If so, I don't think they open. I was in there a few weeks ago during daylight (for 1 hour on PUS-ICN-MUC) and they ceratinly were not open then.
    I do mean the glass doors to the tarmac. Maybe someone should try to open them. If you notice on the picture below, there is a gap in the middle that suggest to me that they can slide open. And if you look at the ceiling, it seems there is railing, which would confirm this possibility.
    On the other hand, maybe they never open them.

Leave a comment:

• jjpb3
    replied
    At that time of the day, most flights are to Caticlan and there seems to be a lot of Korean tourist going there.
    There is definitely a very well-developed Korean customer base to the Visayas. The Mactan Shang has an extensive Korean selection at the breakfast buffet (and a much more limited Filipino selection ). There are even a number of prominent signs in Korean in Cebu City / Mactan.

One particularity of these tourists is that couples love to have matching outfits and we already noticed it.
    Eye-catching indeed.

Looking forward to the Boracay installment. I'm interested to read what you and your friend thought of it.

Leave a comment:

• MAN Flyer
    replied
    I must say that the wooden glass doors make the lounge feel smaller than the old lounge. But it looks like they can be slided open and perhaps they do open them when there is daylight outside.
    Are you talking about the glass doors you look through to the tarmac ?. If so, I don't think they open. I was in there a few weeks ago during daylight (for 1 hour on PUS-ICN-MUC) and they ceratinly were not open then.

I quite like the lounge, maybe due to how quiet it is as I was the only one in there, and you can see outside....

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFlyingProf
    replied
    As you may have noticed in the previous episode, I had changed my clothing from warm to a little more tropical. The destination that day was Boracay island in the Philippines. From Singapore, this is a two flight 4 step process:
    1. Flight #1 Singapore Manila
    2. Flight #2 Manila Caticlan
    3. Bus from Caticlan to Jetty
    4. Boat to Caticlan
    5. Tricycle or taxi to the hotel

So we went for the first step and I was in a jolly mood.

On board, we had some more fruits

And I followed it with a shrimp noodle soup.

Of course, I drank some Champagne with that but as you know, no Krug is available on flight of the duration of SIN-MNL, so I had Dom Perignon 2000 instead.

After about 3h of flight, we approached Manila

and landed. After clearing immigration and customs, we took the shuttle to the domestic terminal, and checked in with 6K aka Zest Air, self described as Asia's most refreshing airline.

We had tickets for a 3:45pm flight but were at the checking by 2:20pm or so and the lady said that we had been changed for a 3pm flight and she asked if we minded. I did not mind, the earlier we get there, the better.

We went through security and waited for boarding. There is a grand total of 4 gates(not counting A and B versions, aligned as shown below.

Of course, all the gates lead to the tarmac and you have to walk to the plane.

At that time of the day, most flights are to Caticlan and there seems to be a lot of Korean tourist going there. One particularity of these tourists is that couples love to have matching outfits and we already noticed it.

Looking around the boarding area, there is an infirmary. One has to wonder if the doctor is not too confident that he can help you, as outside his/her door, everything is ready to pray for the rest of your soul:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X