Gibraltar - Short visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar - Short visit

Wonder if anyone here been to that small piece of rock that is controlled by the United Kingdom, right at the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea from Atlantic Ocean.

On my last trip out to Europe, I had to jump off a ship that stop at Gibraltar to pick up bunkers. Original plans was to arrive early morning, I get off, have a nice early autumn day in Gibraltar, take a car to Malaga next morning for a flight to Brussels. But plans are only such, anchorage was congested and we did not get in until evening after dinner. Spoilt all my plans for a day of sightseeing.... haizzzz... any way, another kapitan style of TR, pictures don't lie and speaks a thousand words......

Here's us staring in at the rock....

Getting nearer....

Europa Point... interstingly, next to the light house is a mosque, which I thought would be quite rare....

Position of us on my GPS phone...
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

As we get nearer,

Some interestingly cloud cover, only above thr rock.... well it is a meteorological phenomena, due to wind direction, sun ..etc etc,

Comment

Finally got off after dark, straight to the hotel, which incidentally I stayed at the Caleta Hotel, which is located on the Med Sea side of the peninsula. Check in and it was already 10 pm.... restaurant's closed, a little hungry, went down to the bar ordered a sandwiched and a beer, and slept after.... tiring day of waiting to come into port.....

Well, some pictures taken land side from the hotel, taxi pick up was booked for 9 am, which did not allow me any time to wondered about far off......

Here's me looking out to sea from my room balcony.....

Well, my position on my map puts me on dry land....

Following are pictures of rocks and sea, ...

Well, left the hotel at 9 am as planned, taxi brought me to the frontier (as they call it). Spanish driver was waiting for me before immigration, walked to the border, showed my passport to the police officer, which he scrutinise a little, but no STAMP. I was officially in Spain, and no stamp of entry. Even when I got into Gibraltar, no immigration, I just walked in.......

Hope I could find a little more time to explore Gibraltar the next time.....

Comment

Fascinating! Thanks for the beautiful pics, kapitan.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Pictures full of atmosphere -- but that could just be my imagination adding some color. I've always wanted to visit GIB, stare out into the strait, and imagine what it would be like back in the days when the Royal Navy was just beginnig to establish its reach.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

One night is all you need there. There isn't much too the place and it is overrun with british tourists. Still, I think flying into the airport would make for an interesting experience

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
              it is overrun with british tourists.
              Like Spain generally in the summer? ('Tis true about Germans in summertime Spain too, to keep things fair. )
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Somehow the view reminds me of the movie The Duchees of Langeais - Ne touchez pas la hache.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Like Spain generally in the summer? ('Tis true about Germans in summertime Spain too, to keep things fair. )
                  Well yes, especially in the south.

Another reason for visiting Gibraltar are the ferries across to Tangiers. But both times I tried they were not running due to stormy weather

Comment

Amazing pics! Love it

Comment

Thanks for the pics, kapitan! AFAIK, Gibraltar is more British than Britain, e.g. I think they still have the old red phone boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        another kapitan style of TR, pictures don't lie and speaks a thousand words......
                        Not if the pics have been photoshopped.

Kapitan style or pictorial TRs are great. Very suitable for little bears who can't read TRs with too many cheem words.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          AFAIK, Gibraltar is more British than Britain, e.g. I think they still have the old red phone boxes.
                          Curious do passengers on a direct UK-GIB flight vv go through immigration procedures or is this treated as a domestic route? Never been to GIB myself hence my question.
                          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
                            Curious do passengers on a direct UK-GIB flight vv go through immigration procedures or is this treated as a domestic route? Never been to GIB myself hence my question.
                            I've never been myself. As Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory and not part of the UK and Gibraltar does not form part of the Common Travel Area, I think the answer to your question is that you'll still need to go through immigration.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/commontravelarea

CTA2 What is the Common Travel Area?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK), the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland collectively form a common travel area. A person who has been checked at immigration passport control at the point of entry into the common travel area does not normally need leave to enter at any other part of it. There is therefore no requirement for separate entry clearances to be issued where the applicant is going to transit through or remain for a while in one part of the Common Travel Area before travelling to another part.

Comment

I drove from Malaga to Gibraltar and don't recall getting any immigration stamp either.

Comment

Working...
                              X