Finnair and the fastest route to asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnair and the fastest route to asia

Together with 4 friends, i recently flew Finnair from FCO (or MIL) to CAN via HEL. The reason why I chose AY was the incredible fare they offered to Guangzhou.

I'm not ready to put down a complete Tr, but i would like to make a short list about what i like and what i dislike.

Me and the other two starting from Rome checked-in online so we took a cab and reached airport on time. BTW, having to check-in also luggage we had to queue up at AY counters.
    In this sense, being the ROM-HEL a "oneclass" service, there's no premium line neither a fast bag drop line. AY should pay more attention to this.
    (The other two leaving from Milan told us there was a separate line for biz/emerald being the MIL-HEL operated with two classes of services).
    Notwithstanding this the ground staff at check-in was corteous and really took care of us.
    Once we got BPs and invitation for the lounge, we reached the checkpoint and soon we headed to the lounge, which is the AF lounge in Terminal B: it's small, dated and food/drink selection is limited. I have to admit that all lounges in FCO but BA are usually horrible (BA lounge is in the non-schenghen area!).

Boarding was on time but without any sort of organization. I expected for a very full packed flight like that AY could implement a zones/rows system.

The plane for the ROM-HEL is a 757-200 with winglets. Even if it was quite old, I can't complain about the way it was mantained. Bright blue and grey are the main colours.
    The seat per se is so and so: legroom is really modest, but on the other side, every seat is provided with handset and earphones to listen music.
    earphones are complimentary by Finnair.
    757 layout is 3-3 but believe me that on a such full flight the space for every passenger is limited indeed.
    5 cabin crew surveilled the boarding and helped people in stowing bags in the overhead bins. Two remarks: crew forbid pax from keeping items underneath the seat in front; crew policy about the use go gloves seems to be enforced every time.
    Crew's uniform are not so bad but the femal uniform (baby blue) is definitely improper for bulky women. the purser - a bulky woman - was simply awful, particularly because the uniform clashed with the red-hair and the vermillion lipstick she used.
    Pushback and take off were a little bit late but during the flight we were able to gain some of the delay.

The ROM-HEL flight is a 3 hours flight and the service is absolutely adequate, or i should say better than the average.
    There are at least two drink services and a full hot meal for every passenger: in these days i can't remember so many airlines providing hot meals in economy for intra-schenghen flights.
    In this case the main course was cous-cous with chicken: the former was only edible, but the latter was really good.

The route allows you to fly over Wien, Prague, Warsaw but the bad weather below us didn't allow me to take any picture. On the contrary, the final approach is spectacular. the plane flies over Tallin before crossing the baltic sea and after a few change courses you approach Vantaa from the east, having a stunning view of Helsinki on your right-hand side.

more to come.
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
    Crew's uniform are not so bad but the femal uniform (baby blue) is definitely improper for bulky women. the purser - a bulky woman - was simply awful, particularly because the uniform clashed with the red-hair and the vermillion lipstick she used.
    Fare una brutta figura, literally?

What timing this comment has, given it's Paris Fashion Week.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Fare una brutta figura, literally?

What timing this comment has, given it's Paris Fashion Week.
      No, una brutta figura is definitely better than a bulky woman worn that way

Comment

Vantaa airport is very "IKEA style"... very minimal, very quiet but at the same time a good airport for connection: its not-so-strategic position in the Europe and the fact the air traffic is basically focused on AY flights and a few more, makes it quite a treasure.
        There are no buses, no skytrains, no special ways to transfer but one: walking calmly following the signs.
        Meeting the other two friends was really easy and the transfer from our arriving flight to the passport check took no more than 8 minutes.
        One of the thing i was impressed by is the silence reigning in the airport. Finns are basically very placid and i didn't hear any shout from one of them.

At the line for EU passport there was none and so we jumped in a few on the other side. After previous enquiries, i had decided the int'l lounge was our lounge. Located close to gate 33 is not so huge but overall is a decent lounge.
        The free Wi-fi is a plus (but you have to ask the agent for the user & pass).
        There's a wide selection of drinks, a fantastic salmon salad, some cheese, and other food available for customers and last but not least the coffe is a good coffe (for an italian, i mean).

more about HEL-CAN in the next posts.
        Last edited by LukeGT; 7 October 2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Finns are basically very placid and i didn't hear any shout from one of them.
          Only when not drunk! (Finns on average drink a lot - alcohol is the leading cause of death for males in Finland!)

There are two sides to the lounge - the right hand side for longhaul J and OW emeralds; and the left hand side for shorthaul J and OW sapphires.

I think the minimum connection time at Vantaa is only around 35 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Only when not drunk! (Finns on average drink a lot - alcohol is the leading cause of death for males in Finland!)
            I´m sorry sir, alcohol is not the leading cause of death for males in Finland. Two main causes are heart (coronary) diseases and cancer. I think you mean Russian males in this matter. Atleast I don´t drink beer or booze . I might taste one Singapore Sling on FRA-SIN flight in next month

I would say that on HEL-JFK-HEL flights pax are mainly Russian and alcohol consumption on that flight is high. Atleast what I saw. I don´t know how it is with SQ´s DME-SIN flight...

Comment

Originally posted by Hachiko View Post
              I´m sorry sir, alcohol is not the leading cause of death for males in Finland. Two main causes are heart (coronary) diseases and cancer.
              It was at least a few years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6106570.stm

Comment

The plane for the ROM-HEL is a 757-200 with winglets.
                Yes, they occasionally operate with B757 which is mainly used for charter flights. That is leisure flights to Canary Islands, Phuket, Southern Europe and so on. AY´s B757 has cramped layout and I don´t like that Finnair uses that fleet for scheduled flights. The crew you saw works mainly for leisure flights.

Nice to hear that you visited Helsinki-Vantaa airport. It is small and convenient one. Atleast check in and security check are fast and efficient mostly.

Did you like the view of Helsinki during approach?

Also SQ 61, 9V-SWL, visited here on 16th July 2008 as DME airport was closed due to weather conditions. It left next morning to Singapore. http://www.fap.fi/view_photo.php?id=2267

Looking forward your next posts...

Comment

Yes, they occasionally operate with B757 which is mainly used for charter flights.
                  Sorry HAchiko, but ROM is always operated by 757 (at least looking at the official TT)

That is leisure flights to Canary Islands, Phuket, Southern Europe and so on. AY´s B757 has cramped layout and I don´t like that Finnair uses that fleet for scheduled flights.
                  That's not correct. There's a number of destination operated by 757 with the oneclass concept.

Did you like the view of Helsinki during approach?
                  Yes i really did.

Looking forward your next posts...
                  Of course even because the longhaul sector is the most interesting one, since coped completely and went beyond my best expectation.

Comment

Sorry HAchiko, but ROM is always operated by 757 (at least looking at the official TT)
                    That's not correct. There's a number of destination operated by 757 with the oneclass concept.
                    Yep, they operate ROM with B757 in summer schedule. Winter 2009 schedule is for A320. F.ex YYZ, Toronto, has B757 schedule as AY2417. B757´s are flying to leisure destinations in our winter time mostly and also in summer with flight numbers AY1001 – 2999. Its high density configuration is for leisure tour operators charter flights. They also operate from England for some summer holiday destinations with that fleet. I was surprised that they operate also ROM with B757 as before it was A321 with more comfort (as legroom).

Comment

It was at least a few years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6106570.stm
                      How is it with England, shall I catch the statistics for you

Comment

How is it with England, shall I catch the statistics for you
                        Unlike Finland it seems, alcohol is not the leading cause of death for males. It's not even the second or third leading causes.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/hsq0506.pdf

Comment

Unlike Finland it seems, alcohol is not the leading cause of death for males. It's not even the second or third leading causes.
                          Lol! I like your point of view
                          Here is alcohol deaths in UK as rates are to rise.
                          http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

Comment

UK:

The alcohol*-related death rate in the UK continued to increase in 2006, rising from 12.9 deaths per 100,000 population in 2005 to 13.4 in 2006. Rates almost doubled from 6.9 per 100,000 in 1991.
                            Finland:

About 2,000 Finns died of alcohol-related causes last year - 150 more than in previous years.
                            Finland's population - 5 million

==> 40 deaths per 100,000 population in 2005

Comment

Working...
                            X