No announcement yet.

"For memory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may not writing much here but, you know, we’re still in BUD...

This is in the corner of the same block as the BUD IC:

Next: The return to ATH; a very small glimpse of ATH; the flight back to ICN thru SIN.
    Last edited by N_Architect; 15 October 2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

The day finally came to go back. Tried to postpone it till the last minute, but had my sister’s daughter baptism back in Greece next day Sun, so not much space to move. They had chosen that day specially for me, as I was on the way to/from Europe, Asia all September, so was difficult to find a free date (arrangements with a church, etc.) Bud IC quoted on average Eur 350 per night for me to keep the room for 3 more days, same (and following) day you guys were in VIE having the DO (I was always wondering, what does “DO” mean?). Anyway, I may be back, I don’t know…

Ferihegy Airport, duty free area, near gates 24/25.

Not a nice airport. Few seats in front of the gate, nothing else. A small LH lounge, and that’s it. Don’t know if they have perhaps another terminal for long-haul flight departures.

Boarding the aircraft (B737-600 ? Can’t remember) to ATH.

Comment

Arrived in ATH. Weekend goes by, rest and family. A ride with the car by the sea. Things you miss when you’re away. Took the metro on Monday to visit our Piraeus office. Some shots from the metro, not much else, next time I plan to do a nice tour of ATH, so I’ll have material for you…

On foot to the metro station from home:

Boarding the train to Piraeus: (this may bring memories to some)

Next: departure for SIN / ICN.

Comment

Forgot to mention I had to change my SQ return flight, while I was in BUD. However, in ATH, SQ use a “9011” line, Eur 1/min., that cannot be reached from abroad. So what does one do in this case? Had to call home and them calling SQ ATH… Don’t know if it’s different for PPS, back then was *G… Anyway…

ATH, departure for SIN:

OA “Aristotelis Onassis” lounge (SQ uses this lounge):

Flight from ATH (SQ347, always a B772ER) leaves three times per week, at 13:15.

On the way to SIN:

After arriving in SIN (around 05:30am), took SQ18 to ICN/YVR. Usually take 8am 772 to ICN, but that one as well as the SQ16 to ICN/SFO were full in J when I changed the booking a week earlier. So had to get SQ18, which departed 09:55am.

Seat was 11K on the same (!) 772ER that had brought me from ATH five hours earlier…

Getting ready to leave the gate:

We are next:

Comment

Approaching ICN:

Train to the main terminal:

That was it, folks...

Pictures were not that good, some stuff nothing new, but at least I managed to get some shots in IST, BUD, even in ATH...

May take a break for a while...

Next scheduled TR: New Delhi, The Shangri-La New Delhi; Shanghai, JW Marriott Shanghai, Jan/Feb '09.

Next unscheduled: Hong Kong, New Year's Day (01 - 05 Jan).

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
              ...and the view from that restaurant:

Bosphorous bridge, Istanbul.
              Not TR related. Sorry. Which lens and what settings did you use for this picture? How did you get the pic in this panorama view?

Comment

N_Architect, as always, your pictures are just amazing. Thanks for the TR.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Phaleesy, in this case it is actually very simple.

Restaurant we were had a very small pier in front (about 5-7m into the sea). Camera was the small and portable compact (yes, compact) Ricoh GX100. This camera has something different compared to other 'compact' models: a 24mm view wide angle coverage at the lower end of the focal length range.

As a result, I don't do much more than that. Most important part of the story is to find a point to place the camera, so that it can be steady. This is of course because I do not carry a tripod with me. During night time, taking a shot of this beautiful scenery with the flash on and hand-holding the camera is the worst thing you can do.

Pier had several small piles supporting it, so I placed the camera on top of one of them, took several shots, in M and A mode (Manual and Aperture priority respectively). Bridge was constantly illuminating, and the illumination was changing every 5 or so seconds. For this image, I cropped it from top and bottom to give the 'panorama' effect (although it is not a panorama but a simple wide angle shot) and also leveled it (when I placed the camera on the pile it was not level with the horizon, but all these things can be fixed, as you may well know.) No other post-processing at all.

Regarding the specific shutter speed and f values for that particular shot, I will revert, as currently I am in the office and don't have the original file data with me. If I remember correctly, shutter speed was either 8 secs or 15 secs (i.e. long exposure), with f/8, but will check and revert. No cable release or whatever used, just the 10 sec camera timer, press the button, shutter opens in 10 secs, stays open for another 8 or 15 secs, bingo...
                  Last edited by N_Architect; 13 October 2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the great TR. I'm looking forward to your next ones!

Comment

Super pics!
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

To all those who said kind words, and/or enjoyed the pictures, many thanks...

Comment

Coming back to the photo details, as per phaleesy's request:

That picture is an 8 seconds exposure, f/4.3, ISO 200, manual exposure, no exposure compensation, camera Ricoh GX100. This is the original, in 640 resolution size:

Other shots: (from 4-15 seconds exposure, ISO 100-200)

Comment

Great trip report.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding the pics.

Please let us know when you've updated your personal blog. Days 3 to 7 in BUD are still unaccountable for.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                                To all those who said kind words, and/or enjoyed the pictures, many thanks...
                                I haven't had the time yet to read the entire report, but the photos throughout are fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X