No announcement yet.

One more RTW hurrah... oh whY not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departure was delayed as one of the airconditioning packs on the plane was found to be defective and the cockpit was working on it with some engineers. Which must explain why the cabin felt rather warm. The crew did a few drink runs in the mean time, so even more bubbles for me.

We finally were on our way 40 mins after scheduled departure. Amenity kits were given out after take off. Got the new Marc Newson kit. In terms of practicality it was more useful than the previous one as it was a fair bit bigger. But I still prefer the rather industrial look and smooth, hard plastic feel of the previous kit. The amenities are now by Korner rather than Ultraceuticals; I'd really liked the Ultraceuticals lip balm but the new Korner kit had a v good moisturiser.

Bar service was performed after take off, no prizes for guessing what I'd picked. Hint: my choice was rather bubbly.

Lunch was served shortly after. Menu hasn't changed from when I'd last flown this segment in late July
    . Though winter melon duck soup is quite a bit better this time, less bland. Main course of fish was delicious. The wine offerings were different - I had a lovely West Australian pinot noir, by Picardy which accompanied the meal beautifully. I had the cheese plate for dessert, with some Muscat to go along with it per another FA's recommendation (sadly i'd forgotten his name).

I'd resumed to sipping on the pinot for a while. This broke my own rule of not having red wines in the day due to wine stains, but the Picardy pinot noir is one of my faves.

Watched a bit of the IFE - they had Little Britain Abroad! Quite a favourite episode of mine. As well as the hilarious Osama Bin Laden APEC stunt episode of The Chaser's War on Everything. Then moved on to some Kath and Kim.

I'd listened to my seat mate's ordeal of trying to get home from Berlin, she'd been traveling for 2.5 days now! Her BA flight into HKG was diverted to SZX due to the previous day's typhoon and she'd spent 11 hours onboard as there was an impasse between the airport authorities and the planes which have landed to accomodate the pax. BA had ended up sending up crew from HKG to bring the flight into HKG. Rather than waiting 24hrs to fly Cathay directly to ADL, she'd opted to fly Qantas into MEL, overnighting at the Hilton and a domestic connection the next day - as she just wanted to be home(ish).

Decided to switch back to bubbles when I was done with the IFE. I wasn't tired, but my seatmate was in deep sleep. So instead of disturbing her by dinging the galley for top ups, I'd simply walked to the galley for drinks. Had a nice chat with Glen, as well as the other FA. This flight had crews from all over the place it seems; apart from MEL, there were also crew members hailing from bases in AKL and BKK. The flying pattern of QF crew seem pretty long, and they also get less breaks compared to other airlines. I was told that some crew doing AKL-LAX only get a night's rest before resuming duty!

About 2 hours before landing, Glen handed out hot towels and the refreshment service had commenced. I tried the pot pie this time (as I'd had the pork last time and I can't eat the prawns) - simple but v yummy! Washed down by more bubbles. I finished up with the v nice passionfruit tart for dessert which came with some delightful blueberry toppings, and accompanied by some fragrant Grinders coffee.

oops i'd made a mess of the compote before taking the pic

Glen then came around with a bottle of bubbly for me to take off the plane, as the crew were v grateful for my swapping seats. That was a v nice gesture.

Despite the delayed departure, we only ended up landing 5 mins late due to favourable headwinds I'd assume. We had to be towed into the gate at MEL as the plane couldn't use engine power for the gate it was assigned to.

The flight consolidated my v high opinion of Qantas; it was another one of those that made me almost refuse to leave the plane when we arrived at Tullamarine. Indeed, if there is anything nice at all about ending a holiday other than seeing the familiar sights of home upon landing, it is being brought home by Qantas. The Spirit of Adventure. The ever faithful and reliable Flying Kangaroo.

Next: Epilogue
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 11 October 2008, 05:02 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Epilogue

Some people, my dear old mum for instance, would wonder why I can't do anything simply. Why I'm not just content with a 'there and back' trip. And how I can turn a 'ooh I feel like going to Hawaii for my mid semester break' notion into a full RTW.

Yet to many others (I'm looking at you FFers), trips of this nature are almost de rigueur. I might even come down for harsh criticism as to why I didn't spend that bit extra for an xONE4 and go on some wholly unnecessary but no doubt enjoyable mileage run and attempt to get some form of status on a 2nd oneworld FFP.

Somehow I have found this report more interesting to write than my previous ones. Instead of writing about what I already know and what most people might already know, I find myself exploring a couple of first time experiences, namely longhaul whY on a Qantas B767-300, Finnair long haul, and DragonAir. Not to mention the opportunity to almost go behind the scenes at W Hong Kong. And with the very many F and J reports out there, it seems almost more trendy and fashionable to fly down the back.

As always thanks for the feedback thus far, and I hope you've enjoyed reading as much as I've enjoyed writing. Despite all that travels my 'Where I've Been' map on facebook tells me that I've only seen 11% of Planet Earth. One way or the other, there's a beautiful world to see out there. Preferably from the bottom of a champagne flute or wine glass (or martini glass as the case may be). I'm just glad to let my innate Wanderlust take me Wherever/Whenever.

whY not indeed...

THE END

Coming up in December: KeithMEL goes exploring on Singapore Airlines A380 Suites!
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 October 2008, 02:27 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Thanks for the TR, Keith - a most enjoyable read!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        I've only seen 11% of Planet Earth.
        Less time in well visited places like LAX and NRT and more time sampling the local culture in Europe, South America and Africa will soon fix that!

Comment

• Well Written - thoroughly enjoyed reading the report and being a part of it too!

(btw, what's with the red tinge on the last 3 photos?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            My guess : mood lighting?

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Despite all that travels my 'Where I've Been' map on facebook tells me that I've only seen 11% of Planet Earth.
            Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Less time in well visited places like LAX and NRT and more time sampling the local culture in Europe, South America and Africa will soon fix that!
            Excellent idea. I'd need a OW travel companion to Easter Island and the Galapagos. We could explore the local Wildlife together.

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              Window was down, which is why those pics were darker than the others. Other than that can't really explain the red tinge. It's not mood lighting as QF doesn't have that on the 744.

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
              Excellent idea. I'd need a OW travel companion to Easter Island and the Galapagos. We could explore the local Wildlife together.
              I was thinking more: http://www.worldsbiggestpubcrawl.com/

Comment

• Thanks for the TR, Keith!

Comment

• Good TR and it's helped me decide what to do for my 48 hours in Shanghai, even if I'll be doing it at a different hotel. Looks like you had some nice travelling fellows on the UD 744 to MEL too Keith

Comment

• Thanks for the enjoyable TR keithMel. I love it when you wax lyrical over champagne!

Next time you're in Shanghai, try taking the Maglev at least one way. It hurtles you at a mind-boggling 430 km an hour, covering some 30 km in 8 minutes. The only snag is getting off at Longyang station in Pudong and taking a taxi into downtown Puxi, but its a minor inconvenience for a speed demon like myself. Woo-hoo!

Comment

• Originally posted by planemad View Post
                      Next time you're in Shanghai, try taking the Maglev at least one way. It hurtles you at a mind-boggling 430 km an hour, covering some 30 km in 8 minutes. The only snag is getting off at Longyang station in Pudong and taking a taxi into downtown Puxi, but its a minor inconvenience for a speed demon like myself. Woo-hoo!
                      I tried the Maglev on my first visit to Shanghai, specifically here's the bit about the Maglev itself. It's fun to watch when the speed indicator goes up to its maximum speed. But not that terribly convenient as a practical mode of transport as you said.

Comment

• Great TR KeithMEL, thoroughly enjoyed reading every bit of it and viewing all the wonderful pictures! Well worth all the time!

Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          OK, didn't you (and everyone else) say this was by far the best burger in LA -- WAAAAAAAAY better than The Counter? Hell, at US$16 you get a half pound USDA Prime burger WITH Truffle Mac & Cheese -- and I'm not talking truffle oil here...it's large pieces of shaved black truffle.
                          Saving the good stuff for next time ? I wonder if that'll be enough to persuade phaleesy to venture into LA again!

(Seriously, the burger at The Counter was still pretty good albeit a bit small. )

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            (Seriously, the burger at The Counter was still pretty good albeit a bit small. )
                            What size did you order? I ordered the medium and could barely finish! I was also told that lots of people go with the small.

Comment

• One of us had:

The other had (1 lb of beef; with Cheddar, onion, fried egg, sun dried tomatoes, chilli and peppercorn sauce):

Comment

• Noice! Back in LA soonish, can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X