One more RTW hurrah... oh whY not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    I've been denied access by the BA 3rd party lounge at CDG which insisted on a BA J bp or a BA shiny card. At MLA (during the GB days) I was made to understood that I was let in as a one off exception after the lounge dragon had, similarly, initially insisted on a BA card or J bp.
    So in both cases they were willing to allow access based on status, i.e. a BA card ? It sounds as if they may simply not realise what this foreign AA card is which is being waved under their nose.

The BA website is clearer in that it lists all of the lounges (including third party ones) from the places BA flies from and says:

You can access the lounges listed if:

* you travel in First, Club World or Club Europe

* you are a Gold or Silver Executive Club member
    I've found that when not flying J/F or holding the shiny card of the airline you're flying with, you might not be allowed entry.
    Good advice! On the same basis, presumably there may perhaps be a problem if flying J, not holding the shiny emerald card of the airline you're flying with and trying to access a third party F lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      So in both cases they were willing to allow access based on status, i.e. a BA card ?
      Yes. Sorry for not being clear, but what I was trying to get at is OW rules for lounge access based on status do not/might not apply at 3rd party lounges. You have to have status on the airline you're flying with. So with the BA anecdotes I gave the 3rd party lounge access was based on BA rules for its own elites traveling on BA, rather than the universal OW rules.

In the current example I was pleasantly surprised at being let in because i was flying AY down the back with an AA shiny card rather than AY's.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 October 2008, 11:48 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

KeithMEL I was thinking about your excellent trip report just now as I was working in the horse barn. In this report you stated “but it could really do without the sights and smells of horse poo...” I must disagree. Despite your extensive experiences, you have failed to learn to appreciate the truly fine things in life. I find many of my friends have your same limited outlook on life. Often as I show them around the place when we reach the horse barn they remark on its odor. I on the other hand take in a deep breath – as in sniffffff – then exclaim, yeah isn’t it great.

Further there is much to be learned from horse poo. As the most delicate part of a horse is their digestive system, over the years I have learned the fine art of horse poo examination. Often when a horse feels bad, a detailed examination of the recent poo will reveal much as to the cause, as well as proper treatment. Let me know the next time y’all are in Texas. I’ll hold a short seminar on the fine art of horse shit inspection. It will make this recent VIE DO, just do do in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Paint Horse View Post
          over the years I have learned the fine art of horse poo examination. Often when a horse feels bad, a detailed examination of the recent poo will reveal much as to the cause, as well as proper treatment.
          Poo examination applies to homo sapiens too!

Comment

My understanding is that if the lounge is operated by a OW airline, then you'd be let in with a shiny card with no questions asked (i haven't experienced or heard of anyone being denied on the basis of 'capacity restrictions' even though it's there in the T&Cs). However it gets a bit iffy when it's a 3rd party lounge.

I've been denied access by the BA 3rd party lounge at CDG which insisted on a BA J bp or a BA shiny card. At MLA (during the GB days) I was made to understood that I was let in as a one off exception after the lounge dragon had, similarly, initially insisted on a BA card or J bp.

(OTOH I've been let into the Bellevue lounge at ZRH with my AA status whilst flying BA, though the lounge dragon wasn't sure whether to charge AA or BA for letting me in)
            That's right: OW rules wobble when a third party operates the lounge. At CDG, entry is granted only to BA premium BP holders or BA elites. One time I had to guest a JL Sapphire flying BA in economy. At ZRH, even though it doesn't display the OW ovals, I have gone in with as a CX Gold (I had my BA card in backup, just in case). I think PRG is another third-party lounge where all OW Sapphires and Emeralds are allowed in.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I wasn't going to say anything...
              OK, you've really got to get your own material...
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                OK, you've really got to get your own material...
                Twas a fairly generic comment.

Originally posted by Paint Horse View Post
                KeithMEL I was thinking about your excellent trip report just now as I was working in the horse barn. In this report you stated “but it could really do without the sights and smells of horse poo...” I must disagree. Despite your extensive experiences, you have failed to learn to appreciate the truly fine things in life. I find many of my friends have your same limited outlook on life. Often as I show them around the place when we reach the horse barn they remark on its odor. I on the other hand take in a deep breath – as in sniffffff – then exclaim, yeah isn’t it great.

Further there is much to be learned from horse poo. As the most delicate part of a horse is their digestive system, over the years I have learned the fine art of horse poo examination. Often when a horse feels bad, a detailed examination of the recent poo will reveal much as to the cause, as well as proper treatment. Let me know the next time y’all are in Texas. I’ll hold a short seminar on the fine art of horse shit inspection. It will make this recent VIE DO, just do do in comparison.
                Wow, that's v insightful. However, being rather unadventurous I'd have to take v small baby steps. I think I'd get back to you after I've made sense of why Mum reckons it's a good idea to switch her choice of fragrance to Just Me. Nothing against the fact that it's endorsed by Miss Hilton of course, but it does smell foul...
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Sector - HEL-PVG
                  Flight number - AY57
                  Class - Economy
                  Equipment - A340-300
                  Seat - 28C

Contrary to the popular pun on its unfortunate IATA code, HEL is hardly hell. Far from it. I made it from gate, through the totally empty immigration checkpoint, to the international lounge in under 8 mins. The entire airport was v compact and tidy. Along the way I'd passed several Finnair lounges but knowing my at times rather poor time management skills, I thought I'd use the lounge closest to my gate in the non-Schengen zone.

The international lounge has a curious set up. As J is the highest class of service that Finnair operates, they do not have a Flounge. Yet they've nonetheless divided the lounge into 2: a long haul side on the right which is also the side for oneworld Emeralds, and a short haul side where oneworld Sapphires are eligible for entry. The long haul side of the lounge continues the minimalist IKEA feel of the lounge in VIE. Good choice of drinks, though a bit austere on the food. Free computer terminals provided, as well as free wifi.

Seems like Finnair has quite a sizeable operation in North East Asia for a relatively small European airline; throughout my time in the lounge I'd heard boarding calls for flights to HKG and CAN. I couldn't help but be amused by the boarding announcements. They'd all start with 'final call', then 'absolute final call' and finally 'absolutely absolutely last final call.' Not wanting to chance it I left for my gate when I heard the initial 'final call.' I appeared to be one of the last people to board when I got there as the gate area was totally empty and I'd almost had the jetway to myself. Though alas for not boarding quickly enough, I didn't have enough space in the overlead lockers for one of my carry ons and had to stuff it into the seat in front of me.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 October 2008, 06:58 PM.

Comment

The long haul A343 cabin was similarly blueish, but the seat was more comfortable than those on the A321. Seat had the usual pillow and blanket, along with a bottle of water and ear pieces for the IFE when I got there. There was also AVOD, though most of the content was rather dated.

Had a v nice seatmate, a student from Shanghai who was on her way home after some research for her thesis in Finland. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the rest of the clientele of the flight, some of whom would appear to belong to a tour group and acted like it's their first time on a plane. I mean, nothing wrong with being excited in and of itself. After all my constant snapping away at every 2nd thing throughout the flight can be misinterpreted as the same sort of excitement to the public at large. But it does get annoying when departure is delayed due to people not complying with crew members' instructions; standing up or running to toilets during taxiing, chatting on mobile phones even after being told to switch off etc.

People began to walk around the aircraft cabin immediately after the seat belt sign was switched off. I noticed a lot of them were going back and forth the galley for hot water in cup noodles they'd BYOed. Maybe they knew something about Finnair long haul catering that I don't.

Dinner was served shortly after along with the first bar service. There were no printed menus and only 1 choice of mains, chicken teriyaki; luckily for me not a shellfish dish. Not the best but edible. The choice of wines was identical to the short haul flight. I had the South African chardonnay this time which was quite nice and hence stuck to it the entire flight. Hot beverages were served rather dangerously, with the cup still sitting on the meal tray rather than placed on a service tray FAs on other airlines like QF and SQ carry around with them for this purpose, and slightly recklessly at that. I could just about see the fundamentals for a negligence action satisfied should a pax get accidentally scalded due to turbulence, carelessness etc.

I tried v hard to sleep after meal service, as this wasn't a v lengthy flight as far as long hauls go. Unfortunately there was just a lot of noise in the cabin. I don't know which was worse: the screaming kids, or the parents who screamed back in a futile attempt to quieten their kids down. One kid had even ran into the JCL cabin with mum in tow, but instead of dragging him back quickly she decided to crack it at the kid right there in the JCL cabin. They were eventually threw out of that cabin by a v stern looking FA.

Also, although the lights were dimmed when the meal service had completed, one of the lights near the toilets were kept on. It litted up the entire cabin anyway, or at least where I was sitting. So eye shades came in handy, though because of the noise I failed to sleep a wink, and spent the rest of the flight sipping on chardonnay and watching the IFE.

FAs were rather mixed on this flight. Some rather nice and efficient, whilst the rest seemed to be in a hurry to get the job over and done with asap. A few drink runs were made and I was offered top ups of chardonnay once without my having to do so, other times I had to actively flag them down, and when they didn't come around there was no response to the service button at all. This was annoying when the galley was all the way at the back of the plane which had meant a long walk each time.

Approximately 90 mins before landing, breakfast was served. Again only 1 choice - this time a spinach and ricotta crepe with eggs, one of my faves! It was delicious indeed, as far as plane food down the back goes.

We landed in PVG more or less on schedule, and in less than 30mins from deplaning I was landside on the curb getting into a cab.

Overall, the Finnair long haul product was in general inferior to the likes of SQ, QF and BA but it was still acceptable, albeit with a less consistent standard of service. The behaviour of the passengers on my flight was the major contributing factor to the unpleasant flight, but that is something the airline has no control over. Verdict: Would fly if the price is right (or as the case may be: 100% accrual to AAdvantage for L class rather than 50% on QF and 25% on BA, and I'd not enough mileage to backtrack to LHR anyway).

Next: The Westin Bund Centre Shanghai; Shanghai Mk2

Comment

it does get annoying when departure is delayed due to people not complying with crew members' instructions; standing up or running to toilets during taxiing, chatting on mobile phones even after being told to switch off etc.
                      [...]
                      I noticed a lot of them were going back and forth the galley for hot water in cup noodles they'd BYOed. Maybe they knew something about Finnair long haul catering that I don't.
                      This sounds like my experience of Chinese domestic flights. It may very well have been the first time for some to travel abroad and anyway, complying with rules isn't a strong point (so witness the scrums on boarding and as soon as the aircraft lands; the huge amount of hand luggage some try to take on board; etc).

The cup noodles can probably be explained by the fear of some that western food will by definition be inedible so they brought along their supplies of proper food (not only for the flight but sometimes for the holiday itself!).

Overall, the Finnair long haul product was in general inferior to the likes of SQ, QF and BA but it was still acceptable, albeit with a less consistent standard of service. The behaviour of the passengers on my flight was the major contributing factor to the unpleasant flight, but that is something the airline has no control over.
                      Finnair have carved out a niche for themselves for services to Asia at competitive prices (both in Y and J) so it's not surprising you may get more tour groups (with infrequent flyers).

This was Y. J is different - on my half a dozen or so flights with Finnair, I thought they were rather good and (apart from the longhaul flat bed where BA is better although the AY new sloped bed is pretty comfortable) I'd consider AY to be in the running for the best intra-Europe and longhaul J product amongst the OW carriers in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        J is different - on my half a dozen or so flights with Finnair, I thought they were rather good and (apart from the longhaul flat bed where BA is better although the AY new sloped bed is pretty comfortable) I'd consider AY to be in the running for the best intra-Europe and longhaul J product amongst the OW carriers in Europe.
                        I've heard similar reports about AY long haul J and hope to give it a go one day. They seem like a rather underrated carrier. Many of my friends who have flown on them have been v pleasantly surprised. They had v good value mini RTWs in J ex-Australia which have unfortunately been withdrawn recently due to losses incurred.

For intra Europe J I hope the seats are different upfront than those down the back though. They look similar, and I was in quite some discomfort by the end of the flight.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 October 2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

For intra Europe J I hope the seats are different upfront than those down the back though. They look similar, and I was in quite some discomfort by the end of the flight.
                          I think you're referring to the new seats.

The first few times I tried intra-Europe AY J, the seats were comfortable and it was 2-2 at the front. The last time I tried, I had the new seats, was sat on the left, the middle seat was not blocked and it was pretty uncomfortable! Others have made the same observation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...10#post7642910

I don't know whether AY do block the middle seat now or not.

Comment

Brief report on The Westin Bund Centre, Shanghai posted here.

Next: Shanghai mk 2

Comment

Shanghai mk 2

Whereas on my last visit I was busy running around getting excited by all the new sights and sounds in a strange environment, my return visit was far more relaxed as I already knew where to hang out and how to spend my days (and nights). I had the added bonus of having a friend who's teaching English here this time around, as well as friends I'd made on the last visit. They had a week of national holidays so the roads around the Westin were chaotic as roadblocks had been instituted.

One of my favourite bars on the Bund happens to be the Glamour Bar. V nice crowd and competent bartenders, also great views of the Bund. Best to arrive at about 10.30pm. The crowds build up around 11 so 10.30pm would be ideal to secure prime real estate either by the windows facing the Bund or at the v nice circular bar which provides a vantage point for people watching.

But there was still something new to enthrall me on this visit. I had Din Tai Fung at Xintiandi which had v good Shanghai dumplings, as well as noodle soup.

As well, I got to check out Laris at 3 on the Bund by the Newtown native David Laris which was excellent, though some of the things that were supposedly cutting edge were pretty commonplace back home. And as with other top restaurants around, the list of champagne was rather limited as only the popular houses were featured and in any case rather overpriced. Again no pics this time as I'd forgot to charge my camera battery YET AGAIN. I think I need spares...

Another gem I discovered this visit was the Ruijin Hotel complex in the French Concession. It is a collection of restaurants, cafes and bars in a nice garden setting. I had a pretty tantalising afternoon tea at Face which is also a trendy bar come nightfall.

arvo tea with a twist - green tea!

For my birthday (actually the day before) we had dinner at a rather contemporary noodle place that serves uber traditional cuisine - I'm liking the contrast. One of our party had heard of it through word of mouth and thought we'd check it out. I can't actually remember the name now or the road it's on, but I'm advised that it's on a v trendy shopping strip in the French Concession.

Tsingtao Beer

Comment

Beef noodles

Curry beef noodles

We also had these cute tiny little marinated eggs as sides.

The night wore on at a bar called Abbey Rd as recommended by another person in our party who does walking tours in the city, on one of the many nightlife strips of the French Concession. They had a rather vast menu here of wine, beer, spirits and cocktails. I didn't get to see much of the French Concession last time other than Xintiandi which is all fake, so it's great to be in the thick of it this time.

The festivities carried on the following evening at this pretty cool underground (literally) Friends of Dorothy bar called Shanghai Studio, which had All You Can Drink between 9pm and 2am on Thursdays for just RMB90. Terrific value!

Next: KA877 PVG-HKG whY; A WoWtastic experience in Hong Kong; QF30 HKG-MEL J

Comment

Working...
                                X