SQ 62: SIN-DME-IAH Y Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 62: SIN-DME-IAH Y Class

Hi! I just recently travelled on SQ 62 to IAH and in the process of writing my first trip report. I'll have it ready ASAP. ^_^
    Last edited by BOSqq; 8 September 2008, 04:05 AM.

Hi!!! I just finished my summer vacation in Asia few weeks ago. I tried to go back to Boston through JFK on SQ 26, but the flight was full. Tried other options through SFO and LAX, but all of the flights were also fully booked.... So I decided to take the new Singapore Airlines flight to Houston and then take a CO flight to Boston

Singapore Airlines SQ 62
    Depart: Singapore Changi T2 gate F42 @ 2.15 am
    Arrive: Moscow Domodedovo @ 8.30 am
    Depart: Moscow Domodedovo gate 13A @ 10.30 am
    Arrive: Houston George Bush Intercontinental @ 12.45 pm
    Seat: 34K
    Equipment: B777-300ER 9V-SWQ

I arrived at Changi T2 from Jakarta on SQ 961 at around 8 pm and I have 6 hours transit in SIN. Took the skytrain to T3 and decided to walk around the new terminal. After an hour of walking, I decided to visit the Krisflyer Gold Lounge at T3. I did not find anything special from the lounge, and I believe SQ does not do a great job on the EG lounge at T3. Found it even more surprising that the lounge does not have a restroom in it....Around 12 am, I decided to go back to T2 and visit the SATS premier lounge, but then it was closed and I was sent to the Plaza Premier Lounge. The food selection was not good. So I just browsed around the internet for a while. There were only 2 SQ flights left out of T2, one to IAH and the other one to JNB. At 1 am I decided to walk to the gate which is F42. The gate was packed with people!!! Most of them are flying to DME instead of IAH. The boarding process started, and I proceed into the aircraft.

I walked to through the gigantic sized J seats, and into the Y cabin. The flight was really full all the way to the back of the plane. There were 2 Russian guys seating beside me. The flight was 9 hours and 45 minutes. Our flight this morning... (sorry for the flash)

I didn't take many pictures for the SIN-DME sector because I was really exhausted and really need some shut eye. After takeoff, the cabin crew immediately serve some drinks and soon our supper. Not forget the amenity kits, headphones, and the menu. I watched some episodes of friends, how i met your mother, and 30 Rocks while I had my supper. Then, I went to sleep for 5-6 hours. I woke up and was offered a glass of orange juice from one of the flight stewards. I then decided to watch Iron man. Breakfast was soon served. After that, we started to descend into DME. It was a rainy day in Moscow, and took awhile to park into the gate. But finally, we started to disembark to Domodedovo Int'l Airport.

It was pretty hard to transfer in DME as there were not a lot of signs to guide us. We were given the transfer card and asked to proceed to security. I spent 15 minutes to find the lounge, and finally found it. The lounge was called the Airport Business Lounge. The lady in the lounge checked my BP and asked what kind of card do I have. And I was like "Krisflyer Elite Gold Card... Star Alliance Gold" then the lady told me to proceed inside the lounge. The lounge was actually small with a little selection of food and a dark business lounge with internet connections. I took a quick shower and drink a glass of apple juice afterwards. The Flight Info screen shows SQ 62 to Houston "Go to Gate". I then proceed to gate 13A to board. I arrived and realized that they have not started the boarding process yet. I filled out the U.S. immigration and declaration & custom forms, and then I see some people entering the aircraft already without any boarding announcements. I then proceed into the aircraft again for my flight to Houston.

The DME-IAH sector was the total opposite of the SIN-DME sector, as it was really empty. Most people got the whole 3 seats for themselves including me. Beside our plane was another SQ B777-300 heading to DXB and SIN. We then were airborne at around 10.20 am. The flight was 10 hours and 55 minutes. Our route this afternoon:

Sorry for the bad image quality as I am not really good in taking pictures... The headsets and the amenity kit were then given by the cabin crew. I also decided to plug my ipod to the USB port as I usually use my ipod as a hard drive.

The menu was also distributed at that time. I decided to watch the movie 21 afterwards. I love the mood lighting!!! It was pink-purpulish color... Lunch was then served and I had a Chicken with Thai Massaman Curry with steamed rice. After lunch I had a 3-4 hours sleep. I know that there's a fully flat bed in both first and business class on the flight, but I had my own fully flat bed in economy class as I can stretch to the 2 empty seats beside me. Woke up and decide to take some pictures:

After getting off Europe we started to pass Greenland and it started to get bumpy and the captain decided to postpone the cabin services for awhile and asked the cabin crew to be seated...

We finally passed through Greenland!!!

I then decided to browse through Krisworld and decide to watch an Indonesian movie called "Ayat Ayat Cinta", it was a really good movie actually... More flight route pics:

Cabin lights were started to be turned on and hot towels were distributed along with drinks. Light meal was served as I was watching 2 episodes of Family Guy... Put my seat back to the upright position and we landed in Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and proceeded to Terminal D. I disembarked and said my goodbye to SQ and 9V-SWQ. Proceeded to Immigration and went through easily and got my baggages from the baggage claim. I got through customs and checked through my bag to BOS. Thanks for reading my first trip report and sorry again for the bad picture qualities... I'm returning on SQ 61 this December and can't wait till then

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, BOSqq.

I've been wondering what the experience on SQ62 was like. Thanks for sharing your trip experience, and I look forward to hearing about your return trip.

So, was it business that brought you to Texas?
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Actually I'm a college student in Boston and I'm just transitting in Houston

Comment

Originally posted by BOSqq View Post
          Actually I'm a college student in Boston and I'm just transitting in Houston
          Taking a route that's a bit out of the way to maximize SQ flight time: you have the makings of a bona fide SQTalker.

Best wishes for the new schoolyear.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks, and yeah, I tried to get the SIN-LHR-BOS or SIN-JFK-BOS, but I didn't get both of them because both of them were full... SFO and LAX were also full... but I always do enjoy any flight with SQ...

Comment

BOSqq, welcome to SQTalk.
              Which college are you in? I have not been back to Boston for a very long time. Good luck in school!
              I just want to inquire whether you have the menu for the flight. Does it have the same pattern as the one I posted here? If you don't mind, would you add ours to our menu thread please.
              Cheers!

Comment

Thanks SQ LPP! I'm in Boston U actually!

and about the menu, I'm sorry, but I don't have the menu list. But the pattern was:
                1. Supper from Singapore to Moscow
                2. Breakfast from Singapore to Moscow
                3. Lunch from Moscow to Houston
                4. Light Meal from Moscow to Houston

There were 2 or 3 options for the main course on each meal. The appetizer and desert are similar as you have posted. Cheese and crackers were also served on all the meals, except during breakfast. The snack menu are basically the same as the one you have posted.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the report BOSqq. It seems like you didn't get much sleep.

Comment

Well... I had a short nap in SIN when I was transiting, and I tried to sleep as much as possible on the SIN-DME sector. I was hoping to avoid jetlag when I arrived in the U.S. plus maximizing my time to enjoy my SQ flight

Comment

BOSqq excellent trip report!

Furthermore thanks for posting it, I am already planning my "big vacation" for next year, providing I have time, and this time as opposed to my original idea of going through Europe (CDG or LHR) i will go through IAH to maximize my time onboard a SQ bird.

Thanks again, great job!!
                      I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

More pictures from the flight

Thanks hofo_mofo and yes, you'll certainly have a large amount of time to enjoy on a SQ bird when you travel through IAH

Actually I have additional pictures that I took from the flight (Sorry again for the bad picture qualities):

Comment

Unless SQ starts flying back to YYZ next year (slim), or an equipment change at JFK (not likely), or a retiming of the YVR flight (is that a blue moon or am I going blindier lol), IAH will be my next point of origin. I was going to go through either FRA, LHR, CDG, or ZUR, but i think being on a SQ bird in North America is what I prefer In fact I know thats what I prefer I just may have to get to IAH however a day before the SQ flight [unless I leave Montreal at 6am]

Look forward to your hearing about your return flight in December

Best of luck with your studies, I know I will need it lol

Thanks for those extra pics btw
                          I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

Thanks for posting. This is the first trip report I've seen about this flight.

I hope to try this flight sometime. I have some United miles to splurge and this flight would be perfect for it. I only hope it is still around by the time I decide to take it.

Comment

Thanks for posting. How was the legroom (seat pitch) in row 34?

Comment

Working...
                              X