Mexico - with pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico - with pictures

I usually don't seem to find the time to post pictures and put up trip reports.
    Somehow I feel inspired on this trip to do so and since I have some time today I thought I share some pictures of a trip I did to Mexico in March/April this year.

This trip was to a small town called Tepoztlan, about an hour drive into the mountains from Mexico City.
    It was a last minute decision to go as some friends asked if I would like to come along.
    I was able to get a really good fare on United but had to route my flight from YVR to SEA to LAX to MEX.
    At that time UA had a Mexico special from SEA and LAX which meant that I route my flight through those two cities and spend the night in L.A.

We stayed at a really beautiful hotel, Posada de Tepozteco, overlooking the town.
    Here are some pictures of the hotel and it's surroundings and views:

The picture below is a view from the hotel to the mountain which actually has a small pyramid build on it but it's almost impossible to see as it quite far away. I hiked up there and have some pictures of close ups later.

Here is a view of the town of Tepoztlan from the hotel.
    A really wonderful little place. Some people call it the Sedona of Mexico.
    They have a market every weekend which has everything on sale from beautiful little handicrafts to all kinds of food, a lot of it which I couldn't identify what it was.

The Pool

The hotel grounds

Views of the town during the market

Last edited by yvrcnx; 1 July 2008, 10:28 AM.

The fountain at night

The next day I climbed up the mountain to the small pyramid, definetly not a walk for the faint hearted but well worth it.
    It takes about 2 - 3 hours to go up depending how fast/slow you hike/walk.

You have to pass through this narrow gate/gorge to get to the top

A breathtaking view of Tepoztlan from the top

The local mountain animal - I am sorry I forgot its name but very, very cute

To be continued.......

Comment

This makes me even more eager to head out to Mexico next year for a break. Thanks for the pictures and impressions, yvrcnx.

Was that animal a coati/coatimundi?
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        This makes me even more eager to head out to Mexico next year for a break. Thanks for the pictures and impressions, yvrcnx.

Was that animal a coati/coatimundi?
        Thank you jjpb3, yes this is the name of this cute little animal, it'a coati.

That whole area in Mexico is quite beautiful and there are a few other place close by of which I will post pictures shortly that are wonderful to spend time in.
        It's a great place if you just like to get away from it all.

Comment

Here are a few more pictures of the hotel.

The next day we drove out to the caves about an hour drive from Tepoztlan.
          On the way there we stopped another hotel for lunch which was a really beautiful place.
          Here are some pictures of this hotel:

This looks like the mexican version of the balcony from Romeo and Juliet:

Comment

Here are pictures of the caves. The pictures didn't turn quite that good but I hope it gives an idea of the ernomous size of them.
            Quite an amazing place.

Comment

Thanks for your TR yvrcnx.... Always wanted to go there as my holiday...till today, not a chance...

I like the the hotel whereby you had your lunch....nice view...what's the hotel called?

Comment

Originally posted by KevSQ View Post
                Thanks for your TR yvrcnx.... Always wanted to go there as my holiday...till today, not a chance...

I like the the hotel whereby you had your lunch....nice view...what's the hotel called?

KevSQ, I have been trying to find out the name of the hotel we had lunch but couldn't so far.
                I did take a brochure with me but it's at home, if I don't find out before I get back, I'll post it here once I am home.

Comment

This makes me even more eager to head out to Mexico next year for a break.
                  I remember peter11 told me (while we were in Bali) about some beaches in Mexico that you might enjoy with modern facility resort/hotel similar to Conrad Bali.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                    I remember peter11 told me (while we were in Bali) about some beaches in Mexico that you might enjoy with modern facility resort/hotel similar to Conrad Bali.
                    Conrad Bali quality? Ah, even more reason to consider visiting.

yvrcnx, how was the food? I'm a huge fan of regional Mexican cuisine (though I'm probably irrevocably spoiled by some of the simple fare my best friend's mom -- frijoles borrachos, barbacua, and fresh corn tortillas, mmmm-- served up).

Comment

Conrad Bali quality? Ah, even more reason to consider visiting.

yvrcnx, how was the food? I'm a huge fan of regional Mexican cuisine (though I'm probably irrevocably spoiled by some of the simple fare my best friend's mom -- frijoles borrachos, barbacua, and fresh corn tortillas, mmmm-- served up).
                      The food in the hotel, Posada de Tepozteco, in Tepoztlan is fantastic. There are also numerous great restaurants throughout town.
                      I would especially recommend the Axitla Restaurant, it's one of the best I have been to and eaten mexican food..
                      It's along the cobbled road that leads to the trail to hike up the mountain to the pyramid.
                      Some call it the tree house as it is build in a beautiful setting around a tree.
                      I think you would really, really enjoy this restaurant and of course the great food.

Here is another review of this particular restaurant, I think after reading this you will be on the next flight to Mexico City.
                      http://www.frommers.com/destinations...an/D43385.html

Comment

That sound is my stomach rumbling. My BA miles just became much more valuable.

Comment

That sound is my stomach rumbling. My BA miles just became much more valuable.
                          How about a SQT meeting in Mexico.
                          2 days mountain retreat and 2 days beach resort the one SQLPP mentioned earlier.

Comment

Did someone mention Mexico?

Chicken mole is nice. Had it a small town called Oaxaca. Simply lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by yvrcnx View Post
                              How about a SQT meeting in Mexico.
                              2 days mountain retreat and 2 days beach resort the one SQLPP mentioned earlier.
                              I am definitely interested. Would love to be in Mexico with friends. Afraid to be alone there.

Comment

Working...
                              X