No announcement yet.

City hops on Qantas/Cathay Pacific/JAL/Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=nickbot;62913]There aren't many I'm afraid,...think you'll have to wait impatiently a little while longer for my TR

taipeiflyer, we both really appreciate your efforts in popping over for early morning coffee at the IC - didn't realise you'd cut short your night out for us! We feel honoured [/QUOTE]

the pleasure was all mine.... had a GREAT time meeting mr. and mrs. nickbot, jubilee777, and Sir I. looking forward to the next time. 9V-JKL, so bummed i missed ya...was really, really looking forward to catch up with you again. best to you and mrs. 9V-JKL. and i hope to meet up with upright man and SuperJonJon sometime in the near future (and meet the soon-to-be Mrs. SuperJonJon)!
    Last edited by taipeiflyer; 2 August 2008, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Review of the New Majestic Hotel here.

Next: JL712 SIN-NRT J; Hilton Shinjuku-Tokyo; SQ11 NRT-SIN J; SQ910 SIN-MNL F
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

JL712 SIN-NRT, 20JUL2008, Business Class

An 0820 departure time meant a 0650 check in time, I'd chosen this flight instead of the red eye to arrive in Tokyo on the same day, as Monday was a public holiday the clubs were certainly hopping on Sunday night. I happened to be staying with the grandparents who were a fair way away across the border in Malaysia so I'd to wake up by 0400 in order to leave the house by 0500. I thought it was easier to simply stay up the entire night given it was a Saturday night, and had drank the night away with some family friends at an expats' pub they owned (recently did the people of Johor Bahru a favour and had convinced them to bring in Little Creatures Pale Ale - wheee!).

I ended up arriving at Changi at approximately 0645, zero queuing at the check in counters. But check in took a while as the flight coupon, being the last coupon in a booklet of 4 and indeed the last coupon of the DONE4 I started in January, was barely legible(though tkt numbers and tariff info were clearly printed) and unlike previous check in agents this particular one decided to make a fuss out of it. Some frantic tapping and phoning ensued - eventually, 15 mins later, her supervisor okayed me.

I was directed to the SATS Premier Lounge, but I'd waltzed to the decidedly superior QF/BA J lounge instead, the decor of which makes it one of my favourite JCL lounges in the world. I was welcomed warmly by the friendly lounge staff, and was told to keep an eye out on the time as boarding calls were only made for QF and BA departures. Food that morning was disappointing however, no hot options and only some poxy cold brekkies items.

Today's flight was operated by a 772, with cradle style seats in JCL. Comfy enough for the day time flight I suppose, and I even dozed quite well in them. Would not want to be on those seats if flying overnight though. Cabin today was about 70% full, and the seat next to me was empty.

I was sternly told by one of the FAs to refrain from taking pics. The Senior Cabin Attendant however confirmed that there was no policy or regulation prohibiting me from taking pics when she came around to do her personal welcome so I continued snapping away happily.

No pre take off drinks on JL, bar service only commenced post take off. Had Piper Heidsieck NV for my first drink of the flight, along with the Amuse Bouche - sorry I'd eaten the salmon bit before taking the pic. The FA was rather patient in identifying every item on the tray since they weren't listed on the menu. That made me sound a bit like a PITA but I'd wanted to make sure shellfish wasn't on the agenda.

I had to choose the Western meal as I couldn't eat some of the items in the Japanese option, which was a shame as I really enjoyed the Japanese meals on flights (and JAL did a great job of it - about the only thing that makes them stand out IMO, at least in JCL) back when I could still eat shellfish. The meal was pretty average, but as I was v hungry I'd made a clean sweep of my tray. Both the Californian shiraz-cab and the Rhone did well to enhance the taste of the otherwise bland fish main course. Decided to skip dessert as I wanted to get some shut-eye in preparation for the evening's festivities.

Fell asleep after my meal and woke up about 90 mins before arrival - I'd missed the snack service.

Full menu here.

Apart from the no-pic nazi (whose attitude is the subject of a complaint letter I shall shortly be sending to JL customer service), service onboard this flight was decent - a bit too formal for my liking (like NH) but not OTT unlike some other flights I've had. One can hardly blame them for that as formality and politeness is so integral to Japanese society and culture, especially bowing (my guide on a day tour I took to outside Tokyo last Feb explained to me the intricacies of bowing in Japan and apparently you're practically God if you're The Customer, note use of caps, in a transactional relationship). But at the same time that doesn't mean that I necessarily feel comfortable with it all, which often means I look at other carriers whenever possible as I prefer something far more laid back. Thankfully about everything else (food, shopping, nightlife) in Tokyo is simply wicked.

Next: Hilton Tokyo-Shinjuku; SQ11 NRT-SIN J; Transit Hotel SIN; SQ910 SIN-MNL F
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 July 2008, 11:02 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The Hilton Tokyo
          Shinjuku

Not much has changed since my last stay here in January 2008, so I'm going to be brief with this update. Managed to have some brekkies at the Executive lounge this time - not many options and almost entirely Western alas, but at least hot and there were pancakes. I do like to jazz up my scrambled eggs with something exotic when in Japan.

I've by now made this my 'home' hotel in Tokyo as everything about it is just ideal and value for money, most importantly it's in Shinjuku where the clubs I frequent are.

Now was that the shortest update I've ever done or what.

Next: SQ11 NRT-SIN J; Transit Hotel SIN; SQ910 SIN-MNL F; The InterContinental Makati Manila

Comment

SQ11 NRT-SIN, 22JUL2008, Business Class

Given that my last SQ experience was all the way back in August 2007, I could hardly wait for this flight. For reasons best known to those who've had to put up with my rants and moans about last September's PPS cuts, I have chosen to vote with my wallet and spend my money elsewhere on my other favourite airline. But when it came time to make some miles and cash redemptions on *A, SQ was still my first choice. The cherry was of course getting to revisit the SQ premium experience, and I couldn't help but twiddle my thumbs over it on the Airport Express ride from the Hilton to Narita Airport. I must say only one other airline in my entire flying experience has inspired this 'thumb-twiddly' feeling and the sense of being unable to wait to jump onboard - namely the Flying Kangaroo.

Checked in quick and easy all the way to MNL, and proceeded through security and immigration without much fuss. I was soon relaxing in the NH C lounge, a rather zen and well-appointed place with great food and drink options. I felt a little peckish and so ordered some ramen from the noodle bar.

Comment

The boarding call finally came, and on the way to the gate I managed to grab a picture of the SQ 747 for all you Megatop Lovers out there:

I was welcomed by an LSS once onboard and directed to my seat, 17K the emergency exit window seat on the upper deck. For context, row 17 is QF's equivalent of row 16 (but the HK side isn't blocked for elites unlike on QF). The CS rushed to help me with my getting my laptop bag into the overhead compartment despite my protests, but he was so enthusiastic about it that I hadn't the heart to physically stop him - if only for fear of what harm he'd inflict on himself otherwise. There was almost enough room in row 17 to fit a small car, as the upper deck CS quipped. Due to the ample room I chose the window seat for a change on this flight, which also had the added benefit of the v convenient side storage cabinets.

I was soon sipping on some good ol Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave as welcome drinks was served. Take off was delayed due to a long queue for the runway, which meant more champagne sipping time. I managed to fit in 4 glasses due to the slight delay, and both the FS and FSS were only too pleased with top ups without my prompting and of course I had to oblige. The IFS then came around to deliver my seatmate a special personal greeting, turns out that he's an LPP - a most friendly and down to earth guy much like the only other SQ LPP I know. Menus were handed out, as well as little blue pouches containing eye shades and socketes. Drink orders for post take off bar service were also taken - the bubbly for me thanks.

The crew sprang into action after take off, and drinks were served. My glass of CH was almost never left empty by the rather efficient crew, a theme that was to continue throughout the flight as I only had to press the call bell twice. Being v pro local produce when it came to wines I was disappointed that none of the choices on offer were Australian (or Kiwi) - had a bit of the Riesling which was nice but none of the other selections were really to my taste.

Had to give the Japanese option a miss yet again when dinner was served as it had shellfish all over the place - a pity as I remember the Hanagoyomi as being v tasty. However I'd Book The Cook'ed and had pre-ordered Unagi for my main course so all was not lost. We started out with satay - I was convinced by the CS that the peanut sauce wasn't spicy despite the description on the menu and that it was highly recommended that I tried the satay with the sauce - he was right, the sauce wasn't at all spicy (so don't let the menu scare you if you're not into the spicy stuff like I am), and the satay was rather dry and stringy without the sauce.

The table was then set for dinner. I was glad I got the old serviceware as it looked more stylish than the new ones. I'd proceeded straight to my Unagi meal as the entree was scallops. It was my first time eating eel as I'd decided to be adventurous - having previously passed it over when I saw it on the menus in Japanese restaurants. It turned out to be delicious, the rather soft and silky feel took some getting used to though. The sauce that the eel was marinated in was yummy. We then had ice cream for dessert - not much imagination or flair there, followed by the cheese plate - which was unfortunately not one of SQ's strongest suits either. The meal was concluded with coffee - ugh I need to remind myself to refrain from airline coffee.

The meal service proceeded rather slowly at first, then some lower deck FAs appeared after the main course to help out and things proceeded much more efficiently. I suppose this is possible as SQ carries more FAs onboard its flights than the industry norm.

Full menu here.

The rest of the flight was rather uneventful. The crew were rather mixed - all extremely efficient and eager to please. However what elevated a decent crew to an awesome crew lies in the human touch, something beyond efficiency and courteous service. The CS was the most personable of the team of 3 UD crew - a rather light hearted, witty and charming character who made the effort to engage in convo with his pax, he was a true credit to SQ. His more junior colleagues unfortunately were extremely formal and seemed rather timid, and consequently appeared cold and distant. Despite the wide Stepford Wives-esque smiles, the lack of warmth was rather noticeable. It was almost as if they were afraid of pax, or going outside some sort of script or something.

Watched a bit of IFE - checked out 21. The concept of card counting was rather intriguing as I've never heard of the MIT card counters prior to the movie. Spacebed was comfy initially in the lounging position but the lack of adequate padding became apparent all too soon as my lower back and bum began to ache and I had to shift around to find a more comfy position.

All too soon and too few glasses of champagne later, we made a smooth landing at Changi and pulled up at T3 ahead of schedule.

The inevitable SQ and QF comparison thus begins (as I fly more JCL than FCL I'm doing this at this point):

- Seat: QF Skybed by far the more comfy option. There was more padding, and going by past experiences on the Spacebed (because I didn't turn it into a bed on this occasion) - the Skybed had a more comfortable degree of incline than the Spacebed.

- Crew: Both equally attentive, pro active and responsive. I like the fact that SQ has surplus crew which helped meal service proceed at a much quicker pace. However I've always found QF crews far more laidback and down to earth, and far more engaging - which made a QF flight more fun and relaxing to fly with than an SQ one. Service can be a bit 'much' on SQ - I feel bad when the crew help to carry my bags I am perfectly capable of doing so myself - I hope it's not a directive from management but I fear it is as they're so insistent on it even after my saying 'no.' Having said that there are individuals amongst the SQ crew whom can be just as cool as the QF lot, it's just as a whole I find SQ crews rather formal and less warm (though still better than lots of other carriers).

- Food: Presentation pretty good on both, but I wish QF has proper salt/pepper shakers instead of the little plastic thingy. SQ is innovative with the BTC option, however the regular meals don't seem to have changed much over the years. QF meals seem more creative and well thought out. Quality of meals is excellent on both airlines, however QF far ahead in the dessert and cheeses (with spiced pear paste to boot!).

- Drinks: They serve the same champagne in JCL, except QF varies it a little by throwing Lanson into the mix on certain flights which tastes better than the MEC on the ground. Premium Australia/NZ wines on the QF wine list gives them truckloads of brownie points for promoting decidedly superior local produce, again IMO. Coffee on QF uses Grinders beans - another yay. But I'm sure someone else out there would appreciate the French stuff and exotic coffee beans on SQ more than I do. Most importantly - both sets of crew are most eager in plying me with booze.

- IFE: More expansive on SQ but I don't really watch the foreign language options anyway so the availability or lack thereof isn't a factor of consideration for me. As far as the English language ones go, they are much the same but dig hard and you'd be able to find some fine Australian gems on QF that can't be found on other carriers.

In summary there's really no clear lead in the air, both are equally awesome in their own right and my only quibbles were relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. On a personal level, I have to admit the sense of familiarity with QF do give them a slight edge. Which must be why voting with my wallet was easy when SQ started falling behind with the cuts to PPS and ground services.

Next: SIN T3 Transit Hotel; SQ910 SIN-MNL F; The InterContinental Makati Manila
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 July 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                I managed to fit in 4 glasses due to the slight delay, and both the FS and FSS were only too pleased with top ups without my prompting and of course I had to oblige.]
                Your poor thing, being forced to drink up so much champers
                Seriously it's my fave tipple on board (and off) too.

Great TR and interesting compare and contrast of SQ and QF. I can't help noticing that the Spacebeds are looking a bit tatty. Is it just your images or are the Spacebeds looking worse for the wear (apart from the lack of seat padding). I ask because I am booked on SQ 1/2 for January 09, on the same seat that you had, 17K.

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
                  Great TR and interesting compare and contrast of SQ and QF. I can't help noticing that the Spacebeds are looking a bit tatty. Is it just your images or are the Spacebeds looking worse for the wear (apart from the lack of seat padding). I ask because I am booked on SQ 1/2 for January 09, on the same seat that you had, 17K.
                  They don't look overly shabby, in fact I didn't really notice till you pointed it out. Some pinkish tones in the midst of the purple - someone who flies SQ more than I do can confirm whether this is part of the design or the colours fading.

Got myself a new camera in Japan but haven't used it on this trip yet, but will defs use it for the next trip/TR in Sept.

Comment

Love your TR, Keith !
                    Interesting to see that your TR here still has many more hits than nickbot's - but he's fast catching up.

Great comparison review of SQ vs QF - they are my top two fav airlines too.
                    J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
                      Interesting to see that your TR here still has many more hits than nickbot's - but he's fast catching up.
                      I'd be shocked if our budding Pulitzer Prize winner doesn't catch up and eventually overtake by a huge mile with his latest 'hit.'

Comment

Awesome TR Enjoyed it immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
                          Love your TR, Keith !

Great comparison review of SQ vs QF - they are my top two fav airlines too.
                          Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          I'd be shocked if our budding Pulitzer Prize winner doesn't catch up and eventually overtake by a huge mile with his latest 'hit.'
                          I'm trying mate Actually, should've posted this in my own TR to boost the post count

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                            I'm trying mate Actually, should've posted this in my own TR to boost the post count
                            Still waiting for you to finish ....taps finger impatiently....and I am not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                              Still waiting for you to finish ....taps finger impatiently....and I am not the only one.
                              The OP of this particular thread hasn't finished either All good things are worth waiting for

Dang,...that's another hit for KeithMEL

Comment

Posted my thoughts of the SIN T3 Ambassador Transit Hotel here.

Next: SQ910 SIN-MNL F; The InterContinental Makati, Manila; Sighted in Manila

Comment

Working...
                                X