Clear All

• KQ J class NBO-JNB-NBO

Flight
    Nairobi - Johannesburg
    Kenya Airways KQ 460
    Business Class – Boeing 767-300
    Seating Configuration 2-1-2. Seat 4B
    Depart 07:40 Arrive 10:40

Having used the Kenya Airways on-line check in the night before, we turned up at the airport at 6:00 am. There were two security lines to get into the check-in areas. We waited around half an hour to get through. There were two Business Class check in counters open, and we once again waited close to twenty minutes to get served. Once at the counter, the process was quick. Immigration had 6 counters open, and we waited around 20 minutes there. By the time we got up into the departure hall, it was already 7:15 am, and the flight was being called. We were one of the last passengers to board.

We were shown to our seat, and offered a glass of juice or water and papers. After take off, we were given a breakfast menu (Fruit Salad, Cereal with cold milk, Fruit Yoghurt, poached eggs with Florentine potatoes or scrambled eggs in vol-au-vont and sausage, bread and croissants, tea and coffee.). At the same time, a tray of juice was brought around. We asked for Champagne, and were told it was not chilled, and would have to wait half an hour. However two glasses were brought 5 minutes later with an ice cube in each one. I found that quite odd.

Individual Video players were handed out as well, and there was a choice of around 10 movies, and some TV programmes. These worked well, except when you had your food tray on the table, the video player had to be carefully balanced on the armrest. We were also asked to give an order for drinks 90 minutes prior to landing. I said that I would order a drink if I was awake, and see what mood I was in, the stewardess did not like that and replied ‘if you are sleeping, we will not wake you’. Like I want to be woken for drink!!! (Sometimes I would, but the night before I had less then 3 hours of sleep). I found that quite odd to take drink orders for before landing.

Breakfast service was prompt and efficient. The champagne kept flowing (without ice cubes). The poached egg (not eggs) were tasty, and the bread fresh.

KQ Business Class seats are excellent for an African carrier on the 767 and 777. They are virtually flat, and being 6 foot, I was very comfortable. They need better pillows and blankets to make it a more comfortable seat to sleep in.

We landed at a remote stand, and had to wait for the bus to fill up (J only had 12 passengers, so we had to wait for Y passengers). Immigration in JNB is messy with long snaking lines (everyone just jumped under the barriers). Immigration was quick.

We waited around 20 minutes for the bags to appear (priority tagging worked its wonders and our bags were among the last to come off). Customs was a breeze, and we were out into a fresh sunny Johannesburg winter day.

Flight
    Johannesburg - Nairobi
    Kenya Airways
    Business Class – 777-200
    Seating Configuration 2-3-2. Seat 3G
    Depart 11:40 Arrive 16:40

On arrival at the airport, we engaged the services of a porter. We had 3 rucksacks, and 2 camera bags. I paid him around ZAR30 (USD4), and it was well worth it. As we had bought goods in Johannesburg, and wanted to claim back tax, I told the porter, and he zipped us off to a Customs Counter that had no queue (we passed others that had at least 20 people waiting in lines).

We cleared Customs in no time, and were at the check-in counter at 9:00 am. Check in was quick, and we were then off to security and immigration. There is no fast track for premium passengers at Johannesburg Airport. We were airside within 20 minutes of clearing check in.

I went of to claim back the VAT. There was a long queue and we waited around ½ hour.

Kenya Airways uses the Premium Services Lounge. It is a large lounge with sofa’s, a smoking area, dining tables, selection of reading material, work stations, etc. After 10:00 am they offer alcoholic beverages that include wine, sparkling wine, beer, spirits, as well as juices, sodas, tea/coffee, etc. Food on offer included sandwiches (they were fresh), crisps, fresh fruit and nuts.

We left the lounge at around 11:00 am and headed to our gate. The flight was full. As it was a 777-200 there would have been over 300 passengers waiting to board. There were two air bridges connected to the aircraft, but only the second one was being used. 26 of the 28 J class seats were occupied. This was surprising for a Saturday flight.

Once on board, a tray of champagne, juice and water was taken around. Newspapers were also handed out. The 777-200 has AVOD, so there was a good choice of movies and programmes. Menu’s were also handed out. KQ461 was a lunch time service, and there was a choice of entrée (duck or mushroom tart), main course (beef chow mien, stuffed chicken thigh with pak choy, or vegetarian pasta), and some cake for desert, followed by cheese and fresh fruit.

Service started off with a drink trolley. KQ have some excellent wines on board. We settled for the Ruperts and Rothschild red, and some nuts. Lunch orders were taken (I had the duck and chicken. The chicken was not served with pak choy but peppers instead. Both dishes were tasty. Desert was not nice. The cheese platter was excellent). The tables were then laid with table cloths, and lunch trays were handed out. The wine was constantly topped up. Service lasted around one hour. It was friendly and professional. Kudo’s to the KQ staff.

As I have mentioned before, KQ have excellent Business Class seats. The flight took off on time, and we landed 15 minutes early. We had an air bridge, and were through immigration in no time. KQ’s famous priority tagging did not work again, so our bags took around 15 minutes after the conveyor belt started, and for the first time as far as I can remember, we were not stopped at Customs.

Thanks for an interesting trip report. KQ sounds like a good airline.

Comment

Working...
    X