No announcement yet.

Bangkok Reopens (Did it Ever Close?): SIN-BKK-SIN on TG A350/787 Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I left the lounge and headed to my gate...

My flight that day was TG413 BKK-SIN, an 11.30am departure.

This flight was operated by a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, which was already at the gate.

Taking us to Singapore that day was HS-TQA "Ongkharak", an 8+ year old aircraft at the time.

Boarding was called...

Business Class was laid out 2-2-2...

Economy was laid out 3-3-3...not my favourite 787 config (JAL's is still the best, with 8-abreast 2-4-2 in Y), but for a short flight I guess this was bearable.

Lots of legroom in the emex row.

Decent legroom in the regular seats...

My seat was a bulkhead aisle seat. Seat recline was good (By Y standards).

Headphones in the seat pocket.

Comment

Fold-out IFE screen, with USB charging port.

A/C power...

Small IFE controller (Although it was also a touchscreen).

Much of today's flight was over water...

IFE looked to be the same system as my outbound IFE flight...

Lunch was served after take-off...

My tray as served...

Today's meal choice was pork with rice or prawns with pasta. I chose the pasta.

The Thai starter was very tasty.

My main came in a regular foil casserole today (Not ceramic like my outbound fluke meal), but it did look pretty good...

...with a generous serving of prawns...

Dessert was decent -- moist, with good taste and texture.

The gentleman next next to me ordered the pork with rice, and that looked good too.

Cabin ambience was ok, but between a 9-abreast A350 and a 9-abreast 787, the A350 felt slightly roomier because of the greater cabin width. Of course an 8-abreast 787 feels vastly more roomy than either of those. Note as well the electronically dimmable window shades.

Comment

Final approach into Singapore...

At the gate on a hot sunny afternoon...

A fairly busy day at T1 immigration. Thank goodness for the autogates...

Out of T1 arrivals, I headed to Jewel for a quick look around.

It was nice to see Jewel busy with visitors again. Very different now compared to a year ago, during the pandemic.

My flight home on TG was very good. A modern plane, decent cabin product, and good cabin service and catering. While TG's IFE cannot match SQ's Krisflyer, I found their catering to be very impressive, and their cabin crew to be very warm and friendly.

Comment

Final reflections...

Bangkok is one of those cities that one can visit over and over again, with something new to see or explore each time. The city is huge, with a scale and vibrance that is just mindboggling. Though I've been to Bangkok several times, I feel as if I've only just scratched the surface of what there is to see and do.

There are many wonderful hotels in Bangkok, and the Grand Hyatt Erawan is definitely one of them. The one thing I missed at the Grand Hyatt was a rooftop bar (Many hotels in Bangkok have them), but the rooms and the food at the Hyatt were excellent, not to mention the great location.

As for TG, while they didn't wow me with the newest planes or most innovative inflight product, they got the basics right, with a comfy seat and tasty catering. The TG Lounge in BKK was decent too, although I thought SQ's BKK lounge was more stylish and classy. Overall I was happy with my flights and would fly TG again if schedule and price were right.

I think we are spoilt for choice when it comes to flying from Singapore to Bangkok, with many great options, SQ, TG, Scoot just to name 3 airlines.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Another enjoyable TR yflyer. Thank you for sharing.

TG lounge F&B looks to have better selection than KF lounge in SIN T3. I find the KF lounge food offering quite underwhelming since the renovation.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
              Another enjoyable TR yflyer. Thank you for sharing.
              Thanks for reading, SQ218!

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
              TG lounge F&B looks to have better selection than KF lounge in SIN T3. I find the KF lounge food offering quite underwhelming since the renovation.
              Which lounge are you referring to? The SilverKris Lounge or the Krisflyer Elite Gold Lounge? If the KFEG lounge, I would agree that the TG Royal Silk Lounge in BKK has better catering. That said, I think the T3 SilverKris Lounge (J section) has better catering than the equivalent J section of the TG Lounge.

Comment

Working...
              X