Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ A350 Y to Copenhagen: Bicycles, The Little Mermaid, and Lunch at Noma

Introduction

Noma is a restaurant unlike any other I have ever dined at. Chef René Redzepi is a giant in the world of gastronomy, someone who turned the world's dining scene upside down with his philosophy of hyperlocal, seasonal ingredients, and extensive use of techniques such as foraging and fermentation.

After garnering many accolades, and achieving recognition as the world's number one restaurant, Redzepi closed Noma in 2016. After a 2 year hiatus, Noma opened again in 2018 in a new location, with a new concept, and was promptly crowned No.1 in the world once again. I dined at Noma 2.0, which is what the new restaurant is often known, last month, when I was in Copenhagen for work. It was, in many ways, a meal of a lifetime.

I dined as a single diner, at a shared table with 3 others. There is always an element of luck when dining at a communal table, but given Noma's reputation, you can pretty much be assured of interesting company. As it turned out, I had 3 of the most fun and engaging dining companions one could ever imagine. Noma's tables are always booked out months in advance. How did I snag a reservation? And what were my impressions of my meal? I'll get to that later in this TR...

I flew to Copenhagen, and back, direct on Singapore Airlines' A350 service SQ352/351 in Economy. Both flights were chock-full. With masks no longer required for pax, these flights seemed almost normal -- almost because the cabin crew still wore masks (A good policy, given how many pax cabin crew have to interact with). Also, SQ's service format has not yet been fully restored to pre-COVID levels. For example, there were still no hot towels handed out.

My meal at Noma took place on the last day of my trip. Prior to that I spent a few days at an industry conference at the Bella Center in Copenhagen. In between meetings and work, I had a bit of time to explore Copenhagen, mostly on foot, but also utilising their excellent public transport network. Copenhagen is a compact city. It is quite possible to see many of the city's attractions just by running around the city for an hour or 2. I managed a couple of good runs during the week.

I visited Nyhavn, with its picturesque and colourful waterfront buildings, set along one of Copenhagen's many canals.

In the middle of Copenhagen, there is a theme park, Tivoli Gardens, that many believe were the inspiration for Walt Disney to create his Disney theme parks that are much loved today. Tivoli, which opened in 1843, remains a popular attraction. While it is not on the scale of a Disney World or Universal Studios, it has a unique charm all its own.

While I didn't allocate time to visit Tivoli on this trip, one of my business hospitality events included a ticket for entry into the park. I didn't pass up the chance to head inside briefly, to soak in a little of the atmosphere, and try a few of the rides and games in the park. After all, Anthony Bourdain and René Redzepi did the same when they filmed their Parts Unknown episode there in 2013. I could not resist the opportunity to follow in their footsteps...

TR Index

1. Changi Airport T3
    2. Lounge: New T3 SilverKris F Lounge
    3. Departure out of T2
    4. Flight: SQ352 SIN-CPH in A350 Y
    5. Hotel: Moxy Copenhagen
    6. Run: Copenhagen, Kastellet, The Little Mermaid
    7. Dinner: Nyhavns Fćrgekro
    8. Attractions / Meal: Round Tower and Hot Dogs
    9. Bar: Anarkist Bar @ Tivoli Gardens
    10. Attraction: Tivoli Gardens
    11. Bar: Duck and Cover
    12. Dinner: Halifax Burger Restaurant
    13. Hotel: Marriott Copenhagen
    14. Run: Marriott to Kastellet
    15. Lunch: Noma
    16. Airport: Copenhagen Airport
    17. Lounge: SAS Gold Lounge Copenhagen
    18. Flight: SQ351 CPH-SIN in A350 Y
    19. Final Reflections
    Last edited by yflyer; 22 October 2022, 10:52 AM.

My trip began on the evening of Saturday, 17 September...

T3 was fairly busy when I arrived just after 10pm that evening. There were quite a few flights departing around that time, including many long haul flights to Europe, along with a number of medium haul flights to Japan, Korea and Australia.

There wasn't much of a queue at the Krisflyer/Star Gold and Premium Economy check-in counters, with many pax opting to use the self service check-in kiosks...

The F and J counters were not busy either...

I headed airside...

Passport checks are all fully automated now, just requiring a scan of passport, boarding pass and then facial recognition (No more thumbprints!). Quite an efficient system, although pax either got through quickly, or got stuck (for whatever reason) and required assistance.

Airside some pax wore masks, but many didn't, as it was no longer a requirement. It was great to be able to wander around without masks...

I headed towards the SQ Lounges...

I was travelling in Economy, and as Krisflyer Elite Gold, I would normally be headed to the new Krisflyer Gold Lounge, but that was not going to happen today.

By sheer coincidence, fellow SQTalker LionCity was headed to Incheon on SQ that evening as well. His flight was scheduled to depart at 0010 HRS, 15 minutes later than my 2355 HRS departure time, and he was kind enough to offer to guest me into the new SilverKris F Lounge. Yippee!

Last edited by yflyer; 2 October 2022, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I walked past the Gold Lounge and headed to the new T3 SilverKris Lounge...

Once at the entrance, I turned left into the F Lounge...

LionCity came to the entrance to guest me in. As one of a very privileged cohort of Solitaire PPS members, he was allowed to guest me into the lounge (Normally the rule these days is that guests to the lounge must be travelling on the same flight as the member)...thumbs up to SQ for a little flexibility here in the name of customer delight!

"Hello LionCity! Thank you for guesting me in! What a coincidence that we are flying at the same time!", I said.

"If you hadn't sent that picture of your luggage on WhatsApp,I would never have known you were flying!", he replied.

We headed into the lounge...

The first thing that catches your eye in the new lounge Is the bar, with its striking cone of brightly lit stars...

Bar service is available from 1730HRS to 0100 HRS daily, with Barista service from 0600 HRS to 1000 HRS...

Comment

The lounge was decorated in dark, earthy tones, with a range of seating options...

Seats upholstered in leather...

Fabric covered partitions, with AC as well as USB power...

Dedicated dining area...

Booths by the walls...

The lounge was busy, but not overcrowded, although it seemed to lack the serenity of the best F lounges...

A nice spread of hot and cold dishes, with a buffet spread, as well as dishes prepared to order...

There was also a self service snack and beverage area...

Last edited by yflyer; 3 October 2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I headed to the bar to get a couple of glasses of Champagne...

"Cheers!"

We clinked glasses...

The champagne went down very quickly...

I headed back to the bar to check out what else they had...

LionCity was very understanding...

"You go do what you need to do...", he said, and patiently waited for me to do my round of photo-taking before I sat down with him to chat...

There was a very nice selection of whisky available in the Lounge, from Macallan to Glenlivet...

...as well as JW Blue Label...

There were 2 red wines and 2 white wines available, a Bordeaux, a Rioja, a Chablis and a Sauvignon Blanc from NZ. These were available from the bar, or as self service pours from automated dispensers...

I couldn't resist pouring myself some of the Rioja...

Comment

Wine glass in hand, I went over the food counter to check out the selection...

Buffet selections included both Western and Asian dishes, such as Lasagna, rice, fish, Western and Indian vegetarian dishes, and nasi lemak...

There was a nice selection of local dishes prepared to order, including satay, fried Hokkien mee, as well as stuffed tau pok...

The Wagyu Slider looked good as well...

Indian selections included pakora, chapati and vadai...

Pork porridge, laksa and dim sum...

LionCity had already sampled the Hokkien mee...

(Picture credit: LionCity)

...and the laksa...

(Picture credit: LionCity)

Boy did those two dishes look delicious...

Cheese, dessert and fruit...

Overall a pretty decent selection, and very tasty food, although I could not help thinking that the level of presentation at the counter was closer to what I would expect from a good J lounge, rather than an F lounge.
            Last edited by yflyer; 2 October 2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

In the rear of the lounge, there was another self service area...

Liquor and wine...

Comment

There were showers in the Lounge...

These looked luxurious and really well equipped...

Large rectangular sink...

Automated Washlet-style WC with remote control (!)

Rain shower...

Comment

There were private resting rooms...

...with loungers...

As well as an enclosed room for work and private calls...

There was also a children's room.

Comment

Overall I found this to be a decent lounge, with good decor and F&B. As for wow factor...well...apart from the striking bar design, I personally didn't find anything particularly special about the lounge decor or services on offer. To me, a good lounge rather than a great one. Perhaps SQ saved its best for The Private Room...

Still, it was great to catch up with LionCity, and I enjoyed both the lounge and the conversation with my good friend. Thanks so much once again, LionCity for offering me a glimpse of the PPS lifestyle!

To be continued!

Comment

Great report as usual yflyer. Look forward to the rest of the trip

Comment

I second SQ218, great start to the report. Lots to look forward to and nice to see you on the road again, like pre-2020!

On the F lounge, I suspect it does not feel as serene due to * Alliance F pax having access as well (pretty generous from SQ, given what some other * carriers offer other * F pax, cough cough LH ;-)).

For a * F lounge it is not bad, but perhaps falls short of some OW F lounges. Granted OW has a different business model than some * Alliance carriers with F, cf the existence and access rules of something like the TPR or the various FCLs of varying quality of LH group.

The question to SQ should be, is it good enough for TPPS, given the qualification requirements in normal years? Personally, not so sure...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                          Great report as usual yflyer. Look forward to the rest of the trip
                          Thanks very much, SQ218!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
                            I second SQ218, great start to the report. Lots to look forward to and nice to see you on the road again, like pre-2020!
                            Thanks, SQ777! Yes, travel has started again! While I doubt my travel will ever reach the number of trips per year I did in pre-COVID years, I do have a nice pipeline of travel coming up, both for work and for leisure! Nice to be able to write these TR's again, especially as inflight services are progressively restored to pre-COVID standards. I really can't wait for them to start handing out hot towels again!

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
                            For a * F lounge it is not bad, but perhaps falls short of some OW F lounges. Granted OW has a different business model than some * Alliance carriers with F, cf the existence and access rules of something like the TPR or the various FCLs of varying quality of LH group.
                            I would agree with you there about OW F lounges. I've found many of the OW F lounges to be very impressive, for example CX in HKG and QF in SYD. Even the QR Al Mourjan J Lounge is super impressive. I would prefer all of these lounges to the new SQ F Lounge. I've never been to SQ's TPR, so perhaps that is where they pull out all the stops...

Ironically one of the nicest Star Alliance Gold lounges I have been to is the United Club at LHR T2. That must be the nicest UA Lounge I have ever visited. I've not been to any of their new Polaris Lounges either, and need to find some excuse to do so!

Comment

Continuing with the TR...

It was soon time to leave the SilverKris T3 Lounge and head to my gate to catch SQ352 to Copenhagen. Fellow SQTalker LionCity's flight departed just 15 min after mine, at 0010 HRS, but he would be able to spend a much longer time in the lounge, because his departure gate was A2, just steps away from the Lounge, whereas mine was, unbelievably, gate F60!

F60? Yes, you read that correctly. I scratched my head for a long time until I remembered that the F gates were in T2. Indeed, part of T2 was now open again, and SQ352 would be departing from there. There was an announcement in the lounge informing pax who were on that flight to allow sufficient time to get from the Lounge to T2, as it was a good distance away, and would involve catching the Skytrain as well.

So I basically had to trek over to the Skytrain Station on the A side of T3 to catch the Skytrain to T2. That time could have been much better spent on another couple of glasses of Champagne with LionCity...oh well...

I guess it was still better than having to take a bus to T4 (Wish there was some way to just extend the Skytrain network to T4...)

The Skytrain ride itself was uneventful...

Only a small section of T2 has been re-opened...just the F gates (The red portion in the map below)...

After getting off the Skytrain, it felt a little unreal to be walking through a deserted T2 towards the gate. No shops were open, and there were very few pax around.

There was a long queue to get into the holding room...

...but the security lines moved quickly and I was in without too much delay...

The aircraft taking us to CPH today was Airbus A350-900WXB registration 9V-SMK, a 5 and a half year old aircraft first delivered in February 2017, which would make it one of the older A350s in the SQ fleet. This aircraft was the 11th A350 to be delivered to SQ, out of over an amazing 61 A350s currently in service with the airline. 9V-SMK's first flight and subsequently delivery to SIA were reported in SQKevin's very useful A350 delivery thread.

Boarding was called...

Changi continues to use plush carpets along many walkways and even the aerobridge. These look nice, but I had some difficult pushing my roller board along the thick carpeting...these days I prefer airports with smooth tiled or wooden flooring...

Headphones by the aerobridge...

Last edited by yflyer; 8 October 2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X