Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ J LHR-sin-cgk-sin-CAI-sin-cgk-SIN-icn-SFO UA F SFO-JFK SQ F JFK-FRA ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ J LHR-sin-cgk-sin-CAI-sin-cgk-SIN-icn-SFO UA F SFO-JFK SQ F JFK-FRA ...

It's 11/2 months since I've returned from completing my *RTW and I still haven't posted the trip report. I'll make a start tonight with a quick summary but it will evolve over the next few days and weeks, bit by bit...once I've figured out how to add pictures and actually find the time.

To start off, thanks to all the help I got from people here! Without you, the experience wouldn't have been as enjoyable as it was!

The initial routing to finish off the *RTW in J was

LHR-sin-cgk-SIN-BKK-NRT-lax-JFK-fra-ARN

I added in a little side trip before leaving LHR: CGK-sin-CAI-sin-CGK

With two more changes to the trip in SIN and adding the return leg to LHR it ended up being:

LHR-sin-cgk-sin-CAI-sin-cgk-SIN-icn-SFO-jfk-FRA-arn-LHR

I got to experience the new SQ J, and legs in F on UA select and SQ, made QPPS (to the old rules), FTL along the way and now I'm just shy of SEN.

The whole trip started off with a small SQTalk dinner in Maze on 23 July which has already been discussed with pictures in another thread.
    The next morning blast-off picked me up at the Hilton Paddington and we had an uneventful taxi ride to LHR. Check-in went smoothly and blast-off was lucky that I hadn't used my full luggage allowance. While blast-off queud for the tax refund I tried to get some dates changed on my *RTW at the SK ticket desk. But for whatever reason they didn't manage to do anything. Just a waste of time. Plus one of their staff was extremely unfriendly and utterly incompetent.
    Getting through security was quick and pretty hassle free for LHR. We then proceeded to the VS Clubhouse...which only knowing lounges in BHX, GLA, STR, ZRH, CAI, and LAD simply blew me away. Champagne for breakfast, woohoo! I especially enjoyed the waiter service. And the shoe cleaning service is great! Had a quick breakfast

and then managed to get a massage. After that we checked-out the SKL...which just can't compete.
    We missed the priority boarding but never mind. blast-off settled down in row 11, I did so in 17A. And almost all upperdeck seats were taken...

more to follow...
    Last edited by Desert Traveller; 3 November 2007, 07:06 AM. Reason: added photo
    /Desert Traveller

Whoa this one looks like it's going to be huge. Looking forward to it.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
        Check-in went smoothly and blast-off was lucky that I hadn't used my full luggage allowance.
        Hehehehehehe...Thx for that one....its because of LHR one hand luggage rule, so i need to ask your help....

Comment

Did I see this correctly? Another one that failed his Geography lessons as well? Looking forward to your TR.

LHR-sin-cgk-sin-CAI-sin...

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
            Did I see this correctly? Another one that failed his Geography lessons as well? Looking forward to your TR.
            Yes, you did indeed see this correctly...I didn't have enough PPS sectors in my *RTW ticket to actually achieve PPS. And since I was invited to a wedding in Egypt, I just combined that trip with my *RTW.

And so sorry for not continuing this earlier and quicker...I'm just now figuring out how to upload photos from Facebook and then I'll try and keep updating the TR over the next few weekends.
            /Desert Traveller

Comment

SQ317 LHR-SIN 24 Jul

...after settling down, it was time to choose between a glass of champagne or a Singapore Sling. Same dilemma every time. Hehe. The Singapore Sling won.

After take-off and a few glasses of bubbly, the satay was served. Yummy! That was followed by a 'boring' salad, followed by Singapore Chicken Rice. I had BTCed, and was really glad I did. I actually BTCed most of the flights where I could on this trip and except for one flight I never regretted doing it. The quality of the BTC always seemed to be a notch above the meals on the in-flight menu.
              I really enjoyed the chicken rice, though it didn't beat the 'real' thing.

After lunch/dinner, I watched a movie, before getting ready for some sleep. I was the only person changing into 'sleepwear', and with some eye shades and ear plugs, I was off to sleep. On the SpaceBed, I find them really comfy to sleep...I'm rather tall, which stops me from sliding. I can also sleep in the SpaceBed in any way I want...on my back, sideways, on my tummy. I just sleep like a baby in them...haha. I'll compare the SpaceBed to the new J seat later on this TR...
              I woke up in time for brekkie...I went for the Lotus Leaf Rice. It was nice, but I wasn't really hungry.

Disembarking for the first time in SIN was slightly shocking...after all I had heard about Changi, the last thing I was expecting was green carpet. I'm not a huge fan of permanently carpeted floors. *shudder* But other than that, Changi is as great as advertised. Getting through immigration was a breeze. blast-off and I got our luggage in no time. I then went to check-in and get rid of my hold luggage for my next flights, from CGK back to SIN, and on to CAI. Quick and professional service there. Back through security, 2nd piece hand luggage dropped off at the airside left luggage, and into the SKL. Relaxed there with blast-off for a bit till I had to leave for SQ954...

to be continued...
              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Keep it coming, Desert Traveller!

Comment

gosh that hainan chicken rice looks delicious. hope you had a great trip ... and keep it coming
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Working...
                  X