Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Taste of Mumbai Mary, A Run along Marine Drive: SQ SIN-DEL/BOM-SIN (Econ/772/A380)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent the remainder of this red-eye flight asleep in Y, which is about the best case scenario for any overnight flight in economy.

9V-SKI at the gate, after a morning arrival into Changi.

Comment

Final reflections?

Mumbai Airport Lounge experience aside, my economy flights on SQ were great, both on my outbound SIN-DEL sector and the BOM-SIN return flight, with service and catering top notch.

As for the hard product, the 2006 Y cabin on the A380 remains a very comfortable product to fly, although I am looking forward to more flights in future on the latest A380 cabin products, which I recently flew to Sydney.

The refitted 772 Y product on SQ is ok, but really no match for SQ's newer offerings. If I ever choose flights on this equipment, it will be purely because the schedule suits me better.

The St Regis hotel in Mumbai impressed me even more on this trip than my first visit several months back. I hope to be back there again soon for another Mumbai Mary.

This trip to India also gave me the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with Indian wines from Sula, Grover Zampa and Charosa...the quality of the red and white wines I tasted on this trip were very impressive.

The highlight of my trip was probably the run along Marine Drive. There are so few opportunities for an outdoor run in India -- I really enjoyed the experience, not least along such a beautiful route. If anyone can recommend other running routes in Mumbai, or other Indian cities, I would be very glad to check them out the next time I am in India!

Thanks for reading!
      Last edited by yflyer; 25 February 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed the rest of your TR yflyer. Glad you got to enjoy Mumbai and parts of it. No doubt, I think any SQ overnight flight from India (A330, 772, 773) is more comfortable for sleep compared to MI even if it's 4-5 hours.

Comment

Hello yflyer! 1st of all, can i congratulate you on yet another superbly written TR! I have been preoccupied for several weeks and missed couple of yr TRs but what a catchup! I have never been to India (many reasons) but your comprehensively detailed description, rendered with yr sharp observations and personal reflections, brought an immersive experience to me. I feel i was almost there traveling with you. Well done!

Your reflection on the 2008 terorist attack on the Mumbai Taj was most moving. I recalled many in SGP were initially gripped by the fate of that young lady, as events were unfolding. And then, the shock and grief that struck the country was quite palpable. 10 years since, and I believe she is the only SGPrean fatality to terrorist attacks (and pray this remains so).

A question on trivia, as a fellow distance runner - how long did you take to accomplish yr 10k?

Comment

Superbly written, thoroughly enjoyable.

Some comments:

I a man Glad you had no glitches with uber there. I use it on daily basis and with much larger sample size . Always the issue I find is that yes, Drivers are friendly and helpful but I am not sure if they speak English that well or if they can use GpS expertly. But then I speak broken Hindi and I start with that first. They almost always need to be directed to pick up point with some description. But then I always use the cheaper ubergo or UberX and rarely use the premium services.

For Jet Airways, yes, they fly A330 on the DEL-BOM sector daily on the 5pm flight and then back BOM-DEL at 730am. Always a good choice. Alternatively AI has more wide bodies on the sector connecting to JFK and East Asian stations.

For your foodie adventure, Haldiram does look really tasty. Sodabottleopenerwalla is a favourite of mine too although I find the M7mbai branch could be too crowded. Try out the Delhi Khan Market branch on a walk up shophouse. Very nice setting there. My favourite there is the prawn patio and Falooda. If you are in BkC next, try this restaurant called NRI (Not Really Indian), they serve Indian diaspora food from the colonies. One of the best meals in the country.

I really enjoy your jogging pics in Mumbai. It just so reminds me how I am not even Indian or Indian-origin, yet I see Mumbai as ‘aamchi Mumbai’ . It’s soulful. I fell in love, with the city and the people. It’s not pretty, but the soul is deep. I don’t feel like a foreigner anymore Nor treated as one. I ride local trains, I take tuktuks, and unlikely in other cities, never got cheated... or overcharged.

I was there too the night of the terror Attack. I was at the Leela near the airport. I just landed too (from Singapore). I was also there in the next terror Attack on the train. Each time he city mourn, I mourn with them. They come back stronger since then.

As for SQ provision of lounge for KF Gold members, it’s really sad. If AI could provide access to the luxurious GVk lounge (which indeed I find one of the world’s best), I wonder if SQ is really cheapo or if there is preferential treatment to the home carrier.

Thanks once again for the TR and hope you have more adventures coming in India.

Comment

Nice report, as always. I don't cover India for my company anymore, but I have fond memories of trips to Mumbai, including morning runs along Marine Drive. It was easier for me - I used to stay at the Oberoi. My office was in the Churchgate area, so I had lunch at Samrat quite often. And for dinner, it was always a Mangalorean seafood place in Fort. Once I bumped into Singaporean ex-President, Mr SR Nathan, in Samrat at lunchtime and in Trishna at dinnertime on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                I enjoyed the rest of your TR yflyer. Glad you got to enjoy Mumbai and parts of it. No doubt, I think any SQ overnight flight from India (A330, 772, 773) is more comfortable for sleep compared to MI even if it's 4-5 hours.
                Thanks, SQfanatic! Agree any SQ flight on a widebody is preferable to an MI A320 or 737 (Unless you get 3 empty Y in a row.) That said, the ones who get really upset are those in J, where the difference between MI J and SQ J is very apparent.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                Hello yflyer! 1st of all, can i congratulate you on yet another superbly written TR! I have been preoccupied for several weeks and missed couple of yr TRs but what a catchup! I have never been to India (many reasons) but your comprehensively detailed description, rendered with yr sharp observations and personal reflections, brought an immersive experience to me. I feel i was almost there traveling with you. Well done!
                Thanks very much, jammed!

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                A question on trivia, as a fellow distance runner - how long did you take to accomplish yr 10k?
                Haha...I am just a casual runner and have nothing but admiration for serious distance/marathon runners! I am a slow coach by comparison -- just enough for a decent cardio workout!

On that run along Marine Drive in Mumbai, it was 10.5km in 1 hr 20 min, for a pace of about 7:38 min per km. A very slow leisurely run, and many pauses for photo taking. For a regular training run e.g. along ECP, I will try to do 10km in 55-60 min (i.e. about 5:30 - 6:00 min per km pace).

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                Superbly written, thoroughly enjoyable.
                Thanks, SQueeze!

Always the issue I find is that yes, Drivers are friendly and helpful but I am not sure if they speak English that well or if they can use GpS expertly. But then I speak broken Hindi and I start with that first. They almost always need to be directed to pick up point with some description. But then I always use the cheaper ubergo or UberX and rarely use the premium services.
                Yes agree that they usually need to be directed to the pick-up point. I usually ask my colleagues (or hotel staff) to help. If alone, I will try to pick a very prominent, unmissable spot...

Try out the Delhi Khan Market branch on a walk up shophouse. Very nice setting there. My favourite there is the prawn patio and Falooda. If you are in BkC next, try this restaurant called NRI (Not Really Indian), they serve Indian diaspora food from the colonies. One of the best meals in the country.
                Thanks for the food recommendations! You are a real India expert! Will check them out next time I am there!

I really enjoy your jogging pics in Mumbai. It just so reminds me how I am not even Indian or Indian-origin, yet I see Mumbai as ‘aamchi Mumbai’ . It’s soulful. I fell in love, with the city and the people. It’s not pretty, but the soul is deep. I don’t feel like a foreigner anymore Nor treated as one. I ride local trains, I take tuktuks, and unlikely in other cities, never got cheated... or overcharged.
                Yes, Mumbai has a very unique vibe to it... I have tried the 3-wheelers, but not the local trains (Don't dare brave the crowds on those yet!)...it is an amazing city...

Thanks once again for the TR and hope you have more adventures coming in India.
                Thanks again!

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                Nice report, as always. I don't cover India for my company anymore, but I have fond memories of trips to Mumbai, including morning runs along Marine Drive. It was easier for me - I used to stay at the Oberoi.
                Thanks, 259850! Yes staying at the Oberoi, Trident or the Intercontinental down the road, would make it very easy to go for a run along Marine Drive.

My office was in the Churchgate area, so I had lunch at Samrat quite often. And for dinner, it was always a Mangalorean seafood place in Fort. Once I bumped into Singaporean ex-President, Mr SR Nathan, in Samrat at lunchtime and in Trishna at dinnertime on the same day.
                What a coincidence meeting with our Ex-President twice in one day! I'll also try look up Samrat and Trishna next time I am there.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  What a coincidence meeting with our Ex-President twice in one day! I'll also try look up Samrat and Trishna next time I am there.
                  I heard Trishna has become a bit of a tourist trap these days. Another seafood joint that Mrs 259850 loved when we had a 1-night stopover in BOM years ago was Mahesh Lunch Home. But I'm sure regulars like SQueeze will be able to recommend a good place for Tandoori Pomfret.

Comment

Yes, Mumbai has a very unique vibe to it... I have tried the 3-wheelers, but not the local trains (Don't dare brave the crowds on those yet!)...it is an amazing city...

I'll also try look up Samrat and Trishna next time I am there.

For the trains, there are 2 things you need to learn to survive it:

1. to know which side of the train is your destination platform because it is impossible to come out once inside, so stay around that door only. and get used to hanging around there (they don't close doors!) so grab tightly.

2. to be able to jump while the train is still running. People will try to board before the train stops, so the earlier you jump, the higher the chance you will be able to get off before the mad rush to climb

My office was next to Samrat. And I am well familiar with both. Both are also my favourite places to eat in Mumbai, although these days, I gravitate towards oriental or western in Mumbai because they do these more authentically compared to those in other cities.

Comment

For the trains, there are 2 things you need to learn to survive it:

1. to know which side of the train is your destination platform because it is impossible to come out once inside, so stay around that door only. and get used to hanging around there (they don't close doors!) so grab tightly.

2. to be able to jump while the train is still running. People will try to board before the train stops, so the earlier you jump, the higher the chance you will be able to get off before the mad rush to climb

OMG!

How did you ever pick up this unique skill? How does anyone?

Now I remember why I have never tried the local trains!

Comment

OMG!

Now I remember why I have never tried the local trains!
                        It's survival instinct!
                        My office is in Nariman Point, office hours till 630.
                        My yoga class is in Bandra, starting at 730.

By car, would take 1h20min or so.
                        By train, would take just 20min!
                        I have no choice.

To jump while the train is still running is best from the rear of the train because by the time it reaches the platform, it would have reduced speed.

PM me if you come to India next. I might be around the corner (although much lesser I am there these days). Will teach you!

Comment

There's nothing unique about this skill. In many (actually most) parts of the world, this is the norm.

It takes some training. A few years back, we took the kids (7 and 5 then) to Jiuzhaigou National Park in Szechuan. Due to the fragile ecosystem and high volumes of visitors (we went "off peak" and they had armed police managing the lines at the ticket counters), transport within the park was only via park buses. For our first ride, we stood in line with a bunch of foreign tourists. Needless to say, we didn't get our ride. As the day wore on, we got better at managing the scram - I lead/push and Mrs 259850 protects the children from the rear.

The same skills came in handy on rush hour subway rides in Beijing months later. Now that the kids are a bit older, we need to shake off my obsession with road trips in Nordic countries, and target train riding in Mumbai for a coming vacation.
                          Last edited by 259850; 28 February 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

PM me if you come to India next. I might be around the corner (although much lesser I am there these days). Will teach you!
                            Will PM you! Likely to be there in Mumbai in March/April timeframe. Yes would be great to meet for a meal. Not sure about jumping on/off trains though...

Comment

There's nothing unique about this skill. In many (actually most) parts of the world, this is the norm.
                              Agree that queueing (or not queuing) and fighting a way through crowds is something that can be learnt...just like crossing roads (Also not as straightforward in some countries, compared to Singapore).

As for jumping on and off moving trains with open doors, that is something else completely! I doubt that sort of skill is something I want to encourage my kids to pick up...

I used to work with a colleague from India who is now a very senior person in an MNC in the US. He was describing how, many years ago, when he was young, he had to travel from his home town to the city to go to college. He did this on an overnight train, sitting on the roof. He said the trick was not to be sitting close to the front when travelling on the roof at night. If you are further back, you can hear the guy in front shout/swear when he is swatted by any passing overhanging tree branches, and if you are further back you have time to duck...what amazing stories, and of course it happened to him a long time ago...to this day I am not sure if he was serious or joking...

Comment

I really enjoyed this TR, thank you!

Brought back some memories of my only trip to India 5 years ago, especially arriving at DEL. (Unfortunately, the airport was the only thing about DEL I enjoyed.)

I had good flight with Jet Airways as well. Flew DEL-IXC on a turbo-prop and I would have to say it was one of the most enjoyable, calm flights of my life. The other passengers and crew were one of the most polite group of people I have ever found myself on a plane with. The captain welcomed us all on his way into the cockpit and a pair of businessmen gladly swapped seats so that another man and his daughter could vacate the exit row as the quiet little girl wanted a window seat but couldn't be in 1D. If only all experiences were like that...

Your food pics have got me hungry now!

Comment

Working...
                                X