British Airways A380 Y SIN-LHR-SIN on BA12/BA11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabian View Post
    Loved the TR and your impromptu London adventure!
    Thanks, sabian! Flying from the US West Coast back to SIN via LHR was more pleasant than I expected it to be! I am sorely tempted to do it that way again if I need to travel to the UK and USA on a future trip...

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Very nice report as usual. Brings back memories from my BA flight yesterday. All still fresh in my mind
      Thanks, SQflyergirl!

Comment

Thanks for the TR, yflyer!

Like phaleesy, I'm happy to see BA get a good write up. BA's LHR lounges and BA's hardware/inflight service may lack some of the whizz bang features of some other airlines but they get the job done, don't compromise on safety and all for a (mostly) fair price.

I'm sure you're aware that St John has an iconic reputation in London. It's influence on the London food scene has been immense and its many alumni have gone on to open restaurants of their own, e.g. Dave Pynt of Burnt Ends in Singapore. I'm not so keen on the offally stuff but St John still offers me plenty to eat - top quality ingredients made into food without fuss. St John's doughnuts have a cult status in London too!

As for eggs, the brand which spring to mind is the one you mentioned (Clarence Court, which you can find sold in places like the Quality Chop House shop (co-owned by a St John alumni)). They taste great with a deep golden yolk and some London restaurants use them to great effect, e.g. Lyles (from an ex-St John sister restaurant's head chef and general manager) with their dish of chanterelles, a Burford brown egg, wild garlic and croutons in a broth which appears on their menu from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Thanks for the TR, yflyer!

Like phaleesy, I'm happy to see BA get a good write up. BA's LHR lounges and BA's hardware/inflight service may lack some of the whizz bang features of some other airlines but they get the job done, don't compromise on safety and all for a (mostly) fair price.
          Thanks, jhm! I am a big fan of the latest BA cabin products in Y and PEY, and I have had only good experiences with BA cabin crew too. And on the two occasions I was op-uped to J, I was quite happy with the experience, although I can see why some folks prefer other airlines' J, as the BA J layout is quite unique.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          I'm sure you're aware that St John has an iconic reputation in London. It's influence on the London food scene has been immense and its many alumni have gone on to open restaurants of their own, e.g. Dave Pynt of Burnt Ends in Singapore. I'm not so keen on the offally stuff but St John still offers me plenty to eat - top quality ingredients made into food without fuss. St John's doughnuts have a cult status in London too!
          Actually, I was only vaguely aware that this was a very iconic restaurant...I did not know a whole lot about this restaurant when I walked in the door, as the dinner venue was not chosen by me. But when I walked in and saw the menu, I had a sense that this was a special place! I would definitely want to head back there.

Comment

Thanks yflyer for another enjoyable read.

I remember my first experience on BA was on their 747-200s back in the late 80s, when they still operated to PER (and onwards to AKL). The experience was mediocre. Flew them again in the early 2000s, on their 744 to MEL. Again, very mediocre service in a very run down cabin. BA's presence in SIN has certainly diminished over the years.

It's good to see that they have improved their inflight offerings. Have they done away with amenity kits in Y? They used to have them on their evening and day flights to/from MEL. I remember they gave out "interesting" menus in Y in the 90s too (a friend used to collect them). The menu covers had colorful drawings of items that gave clues to a particular destination they operated to. The answer was provided on the back of the menu.

What mid-flight snacks did they offer on your flight, apart from chips? And what's the difference between the "omelette" and a "full English Breakfast" option?

Looking forward to your US segment.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
              Thanks yflyer for another enjoyable read.
              Thanks, icn.sg!

It's good to see that they have improved their inflight offerings. Have they done away with amenity kits in Y? They used to have them on their evening and day flights to/from MEL.
              On my most recent flights, they did not have amenity kits even for SIN-LHR. What they did provide was a toothbrush packed together with the headphones.

They used to have them on their evening and day flights to/from MEL. I remember they gave out "interesting" menus in Y in the 90s too (a friend used to collect them). The menu covers had colorful drawings of items that gave clues to a particular destination they operated to. The answer was provided on the back of the menu.
              Wow, printed menus in Y...hard to imagine that at one stage even UA had them (Many many years ago )

Snacks included Potato chips, chocolate bars and Walker's Short Bread.

I sometimes like to have a cup noodle on long flights. I did not ask but I doubt they had cup noodles. If I thought I would feel like cup noodles, I would bring my own...

what's the difference between the "omelette" and a "full English Breakfast" option?

Looking forward to your US segment.
              I've also asked myself the same question. I suspect they are quite similar! For the full English, the eggs are usually scrambled...but the omelette does come with sides like potatoes, and may have a meat item as well. I will try to peek at my seat mates to check out what the omelette looks like on future flights!

US segment coming up soon!

Comment

For those who are interested in the 744, had a trip last month on it.

Tip: Choose the mini front forward cabin of Y class, smaller and quicker de-planing

IFE, similar to those found on old SQ 772, except they were touch screen (resistive type). AVOD on demand

3.5mm headsets provided, which were good to bring down and use them as emergency headsets

Meals were exact same as OP. Inflight tuckbox throughout the flight

Toilets were very good. Smelt fresh throughout with the constant cleaning. Seat wipes are used in place of toilet seat covers on some airlines. Very imprekssive and feels more hygienic

Thanks G-BYGD !

Comment

Thanks very much for posting the pictures and commentary on the BA 744, augmentin8!

While this is an older hard product, the charisma of the 744 is such that I would be quite happy flying on it if I had the opportunity. And there aren't many opportunities these days!

Comment

Working...
                  X