Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uber, Gitane and SQ1 SFO-SIN in New Economy Class (77WN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
    and the 743 "big top." following on the heels of the 744 megatop, naming the a380 "ultratop" would not have been that much of a stretch

i remember the first print ads for the a343 celestar and its inaugurals to paris and sydney, what a sleek, beautiful plane. didn't they actually paint a 777 in jubilee colours (seems so long ago now)?

and let's not forget the a345 leadership. wonder what they would call the a359?
    Yes, the first 777, 9V-SQA was painted in Jubilee colours to celebrate the airline's 50th anniversary. They also painted a 744 and A343 in those colours.

Comment

and the 743 "big top." following on the heels of the 744 megatop, naming the a380 "ultratop" would not have been that much of a stretch

i remember the first print ads for the a343 celestar and its inaugurals to paris and sydney, what a sleek, beautiful plane. didn't they actually paint a 777 in jubilee colours (seems so long ago now)?

I thought the name for their B744Fs was the cutest: Mega Ark.

The A310 was simply named 3Ten.

Comment

For the A359,with the removal of the F cabin and cutting back of capacity compared to the B77W could be suitably christened the 'Mega Cut' fleet...

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
          Great set of TRs as usual yflyer! Glad my In-n-Out recommendation worked out for you. Although I recently remembered another food chain worth checking out next time you go to Southern California: Pink's Hot Dogs.

One thing that has baffled me for years is why SQ1 almost always has a significantly longer duration than CX's flights for the same route (and also operated on 77Ws).
          Thanks, SQGamespeed! Yes, In-N-Out was great. Didn't try Pink's this time round but it is on my list for next time. Kyo and 9V-JKL also recommended Pink's.

I just had a look at the SQ and CX flight schedules: both SQ and CX have SFO-HKG at around 14:55 hours total scheduled time (As opposed to flight time, which should be slightly lower). In the opposite direction, HKG-SFO on both SQ and CX is 12:00 hours scheduled time.

So it looks like the tailwind going HKG-SFO shaves an hour plus from the flight time, and the headwind going SFO-HKG adds an hour plus!

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
            I once read a trip report from January 2013 where they used an A380 on SQ 1/2, so they have done it before.
            Yes, I do vaguely recall that for a very brief period, they used the A380 on this route.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Some drivers can be tools. There are reports that if you even have your phone out, some moron will give you a 2 rating. :roll eyes:

Simply compare your distances in SF & LA. You'll see LA is MUCH less expensive.

[You DO know the button to the right of the "Quote" is for multiple quotations, right? ]
              Very interesting!

Maybe the price distances are because of the far greater distances you need to travel in LA, whereas in SF the ciy is quite compact.

And no, I didn't know about the multiple quotations, feature

Credit to Uber for making the UI so simple that most users who don't read the app instructions still successfully manage to use the service and get to where they want to go (As I did...).

Comment

Thanks for refreshing my memory...I forgot that they called the A345 "Leaderships"!

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                I thought the name for their B744Fs was the cutest: Mega Ark.
                Yes...slightly quirky to name the freighters!

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                The A310 was simply named 3Ten.
                Don't recall ever seeing 3Ten painted on the A310's. Lots of memories flying on SQ's A310's though. Flew on them a lot over the years, mainly on regional flights, and to KUL.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                  For the A359,with the removal of the F cabin and cutting back of capacity compared to the B77W could be suitably christened the 'Mega Cut' fleet...
                  If SQ decides to start naming aircraft types again, I am sure they could come up with something memorable for the A359...names like "Zorro" or "The Mask" come to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    Yes, I do vaguely recall that for a very brief period, they used the A380 on this route.
                    Maybe 1 777W + 1 A380 was too much capacity for the route, especially with some of the India traffic going to the ME3...

If SQ decides to start naming aircraft types again, I am sure they could come up with something memorable for the A359...names like "Zorro" or "The Mask" come to mind...
                    No "raccoon" jokes or puns, please!

Comment

Excellent trip report. Wish I had taken a 77WN both ways back in June, but if there are plans to go to India via SQ next year (Assuming August very likely), either route I will still get the newest seats.

However, I saw some 77WR pics, and the maps on the 77WN are nice too, but the 77WR has the newest, and better maps (3D maps with a lot of information). Hopefully they can update that as they have taken away some info compared to the older maps. I can imagine how comfortable these seats can be, because they're very similar to EK's A380 seats, which were just as comfortable.

Comment

Another high quality report!

Have not had the chance to fly the 77WN yet. The product does look good, but 14h45min is on hell of a flight!

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                          Another high quality report!

Have not had the chance to fly the 77WN yet. The product does look good, but 14h45min is on hell of a flight!
                          14 hours and 45 minutes is definitely long, no question about it, try 16 hours from SFO-DXB (or LAX) with the A380 and you tell me how it is. As far as the Wifi, Singapore looks better, and I hope to have an opportunity to use T-Mobile/Panasonic Wifi if I ever fly a 77WN (Don't understand why they're switching to OnAir).

Comment

What can I say, another stunning report!

Good to know that you had a little more time in SFO to take in the sights. SFO is a very photogenic city. How many days of blue skies does SFO experience a year?

I've not had the luck to try out the latest generation SQ cabins. I've heard very positive comments about them, and this report confirms it. Is SQ1/2 always operated by the 77WN?

Paddle shaped footrest.

The footrest looks a little smaller than the 2006 Y product, or is it just the angle that the photo was taken?

I asked for the Indian selection…what I was given was a non-veg Indian selection, with a lamb curry, and not the Indian vegetarian meal as listed on the menu, which was fine by me…
                            Were you offered a crew meal or special meal?

Jurassic World…

I've lost count of the number of trip reports where you had Jurassic World on your IFE screen! You must love dinosaurs!

I chose the dim sum selection…
                            It used to be nothing but noodles or fried rice for Asian breakfast; but we are seeing more interesting options lately... Lor Mai Kai, Chee Cheong Fun....
                            Last edited by icn.sg; 23 November 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              As far as the Wifi, Singapore looks better, and I hope to have an opportunity to use T-Mobile/Panasonic Wifi if I ever fly a 77WN (Don't understand why they're switching to OnAir).
                              The reason is speed. The new OnAir systems are going to use a different satellite network and different bands then the current OnAir systems - it should be faster than current systems or even the Panasonic wifi the 77WNs have now.

Comment

Don't recall ever seeing 3Ten painted on the A310's. Lots of memories flying on SQ's A310's though. Flew on them a lot over the years, mainly on regional flights, and to KUL.
                                I don't think the 3TEN decal served the same marketing purpose as the "Celestar", "Jubilee", "Big Top" etc... It only appeared on some of the A310-200s in the old livery. They disappeared when SQ updated their livery in the late 80s. SQ didn't name the A310-300s.

Found this pic of the 3TEN on wiki...

Last edited by icn.sg; 23 November 2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X