SIN-HND-NRT-LAX on SQ 777 Economy and SQ A380 Business Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cabin crew began breakfast service…

Once again, I opted for the Japanese selection for breakfast…

Wooden chopsticks and chopstick rest…

Another feast lay within the bento box, served together with a clear soup and fragrant green tea…how would I ever go back to scrambled eggs and sausages?

The emphasis was on natural, subtle flavours…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Breadrolls and croissants were offered, but these weren’t really necessary in the context of a Japanese breakfast…

I did appreciate the offer of a hot cup of coffee, though…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

We made landfall on the continental United States just south of San Jose, and continued southeast hugging the coast of California towards LAX.

From my left-side window seat, I could see the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in the distance…

I had my Olympus E-P2 camera with telephoto zoom lens with me on this trip…

By sheer luck, I captured this image of an aircraft (If I were to guess, it would be a United 787 or 767, but it is hard to tell), far in the distance, as it flew by, with the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the background…

Full size pic here if anyone wants to try guessing what aircraft type that was...

I spent most of descent looking out the window at the rugged landscape below, at times paper-flat, other times hilly and mountainous…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

By then, the cabin was being prepped for landing…

The suburbs and city of Los Angeles soon came into view…

Those on the left side were treated to views of the Getty Center, the campus of the Getty Museum and other properties of the Getty Trust, nestled on a hill just West of I-405.

Further on, pax who were observant could also see the iconic Beverly Hills Hotel, immortalized on the cover of the Eagles’ Album Hotel California, as well as Sunset Boulevard and Rodeo Drive, with both these tree-lined boulevards clearly visible from the air.

The map below shows roughly the area in the picture above. The Beverly Hills Hotel is to the top right of the picture, along Sunset Boulevard, and just north of Rodeo Drive.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

And perhaps most iconic of all, we flew past the Hollywood sign nestled on Mount Lee, overlooking Hollywood…

The pilot did not announce this on the PA, but it was fairly easy to spot out of the left hand side windows if you knew where to look…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

After tracking East for some time, we made a starboard turn for a landing at LAX towards the West…

The amazing A380 multi-segment ailerons in action…

One of LA’s busy freeways…

Smooth landing on runway 24R at LAX, one of two parallel runways on that side of the airport…

Comment

On the next runway, 24L, an Asiana A380 was beginning it’s takeoff roll.

Our SQ A380 taxied to a stop, waiting for the Asiana A380 to take off before crossing runway 24L to reach the terminal. This put me in perfect position to take this picture…

Comment

We deplaned at the Tom Bradley International Terminal...

…where we lucked out and arrived at a time when there was a lull in arrivals, and were quickly through immigration.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Final reflections on the first part of the trip?

- Both flights on SQ were great...

- Although SIN-HND was operated on older equipment (refitted 772) than SIN-NRT on SQ12 (A380), the convenience of landing at Haneda with much shorter travel time into Tokyo makes SIN-HND the preferred option for me.

- A380 Business Class on SQ12 NRT-LAX remains a superb product. Both the hard product (Fantastic ambience on the A380 upper deck in J) and cabin service were excellent.

- I found the rear upper deck J cabin to be very comfortable. I would want to book the last row 96 for my next trip, if those seats were available.

- The Japanese "Hanakoireki" meal service on on SQ12 is a nice change from the regular SQ J meal service, and I would recommend this to travellers flying this sector.

- I was very happy with the rooms and exec lounge at the Tokyo Marriott hotel. It is located in a part of Tokyo with a lot to explore, and is reasonably close to central Tokyo as well.

- There are many wonderful things to see out the airplane window, if one bothers to look! And having a proper camera with telephoto lens pays off when sitting at a window seat...

- And finally, I still have a lot to learn and explore about Japanese cuisine...a lot of wonderful food to be had in Tokyo!

I would spend the next day in LA before heading to San Francisco on an AA 738, and then head back to Singapore a week later on SQ1, flying their new 77WN equipment, with the latest cabin products, in the Y cabin, but that is for the part 2 and part 3 of this TR.

Thanks for reading!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 10 November 2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Another excellent report! Much enjoyed reading it.

On another note, i must meet this SQflyergirl character. She seems interesting.

Comment

I've only read to where you were starting off on your journey to NRT and felt compelled to post that this is another amazing, amazing trip report, as usual. Japanese cuisine is my favourite and seeing all your pictures is making me very hungry...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          On the recommendation of a friend and fellow frequent flyer, I chose the Japanese “Hanakoireki” meal for dinner.
                          I must say, the use of cheap disposable chopsticks, takeaway-style sachets of garnishes, and the plastic sauce dipping cup detracts from the overall presentation of the meal (and is a tad low-brow for SQ J, no?).

The food otherwise looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Another excellent report! Much enjoyed reading it.
                            Thanks, SQflyergirl!

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            On another note, i must meet this SQflyergirl character. She seems interesting.
                            That she is!

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                              I've only read to where you were starting off on your journey to NRT and felt compelled to post that this is another amazing, amazing trip report, as usual. Japanese cuisine is my favourite and seeing all your pictures is making me very hungry...
                              Thanks, eminere™! Yes, a lot to explore and enjoy in Japanese cuisine!

I must say, the use of cheap disposable chopsticks, takeaway-style sachets of garnishes, and the plastic sauce dipping cup detracts from the overall presentation of the meal (and is a tad low-brow for SQ J, no?).
                              I have to admit I felt the same way when I saw the plastic soba dipping sauce cup. And yes, I am sure SQ could do better than those cheap looking chopsticks!

The food otherwise looks great!
                              Plastic dipping sauce cup aside, the presentation of the other items was pretty good! And tasted good too!

I wonder if the individual items are arranged in the bento box before being loaded on the aircraft, or if the cabin crew need to assemble each dish in the bento box during the flight itself before serving. The arrangement of the individual items looked quite elaborate. If they do it in-flight, it must be quite time consuming...

Comment

I have to admit I felt the same way when I saw the plastic soba dipping sauce cup. And yes, I am sure SQ could do better than those cheap looking chopsticks!
                                They must save the real cutlery and utensils for those in F/R.

I wonder if the individual items are arranged in the bento box before being loaded on the aircraft, or if the cabin crew need to assemble each dish in the bento box during the flight itself before serving. The arrangement of the individual items looked quite elaborate. If they do it in-flight, it must be quite time consuming...
                                I agree, it takes skill and (I'm assuming) lots of training, in addition to a flight attendant's numerous existing other core duties. The kaiseki presentation in R is nothing short of edible art.

Comment

Working...
                                X