No announcement yet.

SQ318 SIN-LHR in New Y (77WN), Terminal 2, The Shard, and Perfect Fish & Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the introduction of new tableware in Y, I wonder if they have also introduced new tableware in F and J?

Do you think SQ will usher in plastic cutlery in the next iteration of tableware... now that Y class has gone all plastic (with the demise of the wine "glass")?

Comment

Hmm, looked like another round of cost-cutting has started. The muffin has disappeared from the breakfast trays!
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Muffins are not standard items on the breakfast tray. It differs from destdestination to destination.

Speaking of cost cutting, there are plans to remove cheese and crackers from the lunch, dinner and supper services in Y. Heard this from people within SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
          With the introduction of new tableware in Y, I wonder if they have also introduced new tableware in F and J?

Do you think SQ will usher in plastic cutlery in the next iteration of tableware... now that Y class has gone all plastic (with the demise of the wine "glass")?
          I still remember when they had ceramic casseroles in Y...

I think moving to plastic cutlery would be a step too far...

I can deal with a plastic wine glass with a sigh and a shrug (Usually the cabin crew don't even use the glass, preferring to pour you a large portion of wine into the regular disposable plastic cups used for soft drinks etc...), but I would be extremely disappointed if I had to use fragile, breakable plastic cutlery rather than metal in Y on SQ...

I think if SQ switched to plastic cutlery in Y, then that would be the beginning of the end of SQ Y as a class leading Y product...so thankfully the cutlery is still very high quality metal...

Comment

Speaking of cost cutting, there are plans to remove cheese and crackers from the lunch, dinner and supper services in Y. Heard this from people within SQ.
            I think many of the Asian customers on SQ are not used to eating cheese after meals, so this may not have much impact...

Maybe instead of low-end cheese on each Y tray, which more often than not ends up uneaten, they could drop the cheese on each tray, but offer a more upmarket cheese selection as an option available for pre-order or purchase...

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              Hmm, looked like another round of cost-cutting has started. The muffin has disappeared from the breakfast trays!
              Very observant, ycp81 !

I hadn't noticed that, but looking back at my TR from May 2013, which covered a 77W flight from LHR-SIN, you are right that there was a muffin catered for breakfast on that flight...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                On this trip, all I had with me was an iPhone 6+, which takes great photos. Even the dusk photo of Big Ben & Westminister was taken with it. Very good low light performance.
                Wow. I really need to upgrade my iPhone. That's impressive.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                When I go running, I actually just hold the cellphone in my hand, with the phone in a ziplock bag to prevent rain or perspiration from getting to it. At one stage I used to use an armband/phone holder, but found that I was quite used to carrying the phone in my hand as I ran, as both the iPhone 5 or 6+ are light enough to carry comfortably for extended periods.
                What about water, your wallet, keys, etc? I can only run properly when I'm hands-free but I also need my belongings with me so the only place suitable for me is on the treadmill at the gym.

Comment

Thanks so much for the trip report! It sounds like T2 involves even more walking than T3! I'm pleased that KFgold gets fast track security as I never got that in T3. And I do look forward to the cheese and crackers whenever I (mostly) fly in y. Perhaps I will try out the UA lounge next week when I fly to London.

Comment

I look forward to cheese and crackers too.
                    On some airlines the crew would consolidate these unopened cheese and crackers and place them together with the other mid-flight snacks. That helps in reducing wastage.

In the early 2000s, as a cost cutting measure, SQ removed the tiny milk tubs from Y trays and offering them only when passengers requested for them. It didn't go down well with passengers and was subsequently reinstated.

Comment

Cheese and crackers are already removed from the lunch trays on JNB-SIN flights (see my trip report). Guess we will see further degrading of Y meals, putting SQ Y in the league of any other full-service carrier out there.

In the early 2000s, as a cost cutting measure, SQ removed the tiny milk tubs from Y trays and offering them only when passengers requested for them. It didn't go down well with passengers and was subsequently reinstated.
                      Most other airlines have also removed them from trays. It is up to the crew to proactively offer them during the coffee/tea service. Don't see it being a problem on other airlines, so not sure why it did not go down well with SQ's passengers.
                      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for the trip report! Awesome photos of the new Y as well as the new T2 at LHR! Am looking forward to trying out the fish and chips after reading your report and will also be sad if cheese and crackers are really going to disappear from meal service.

Comment

Another enjoyable TR. Thanks!

Looking forward to exploring T2 at LHR

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                            What about water, your wallet, keys, etc? I can only run properly when I'm hands-free but I also need my belongings with me so the only place suitable for me is on the treadmill at the gym.
                            I have one ziplock bag for my iPhone, to keep it dry, and just hold it when I run...

I have another smaller ziplock bag for a few cards (ID,credit card, ATM card,MRT card or UK Oystercard) and a small amount of cash. When overseas, I usually include a photocopy of my passport, and the hotel keycard of course. I stash all this in a small pocket in my running shorts.

When I had an iPhone 5c, I used an armband for a short while, but after a while I decided I was used to carrying a phone while running and stopped using it. In any case, I can't seem to find an armband large enough for an iPhone 6+.

I don't carry water. You must run quite long distances!

Comment

Originally posted by LHR View Post
                              Thanks so much for the trip report! It sounds like T2 involves even more walking than T3! I'm pleased that KFgold gets fast track security as I never got that in T3. And I do look forward to the cheese and crackers whenever I (mostly) fly in y. Perhaps I will try out the UA lounge next week when I fly to London.
                              Thanks, LHR! Yes, a lot of walking in T2 (more than I remember in T3).

For Fast Track, when I went through and they checked my BP on the scanner, it beeped, and the guy manning Fast Track manually let me through. I checked in at the Business Class/Star Gold so it may well be that I was invited to Fast Track by mistake (Maybe it's only for business class passengers?).

Enjoy your trip to London, and let us know how the UA lounge is!

And from the replies on this thread, it looks like cheese and crackers are quite popular!

Comment

Originally posted by mingster View Post
                                Thanks for the trip report! Awesome photos of the new Y as well as the new T2 at LHR! Am looking forward to trying out the fish and chips after reading your report and will also be sad if cheese and crackers are really going to disappear from meal service.
                                Thanks, mingster!

The fish and chips were really good!

Check out a review of The Perfectionists' Cafe in one of the UK newspapers here.

Comment

Working...
                                X