Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 222 Sydney to Singapore in suites

Greetings!

After reading so many wonderful trip reports over the last few years, I felt obliged to add my own.

This sector was on our way to London for my second European adventure. I was lucky enough to get a couple of Suite Saver tickets for this trip. Such incredible value for something I would never have been able to justify financially. My fear is now that I've had a taste, will I be able to go back?

While rocking up to the check-in counter, the attendant gave a look that seemed to say, "Perhaps you're in the wrong line sir". Admittedly I had my Macpac Backpack as carry on, but things perked up once I presented my e-ticket. With golden ticket in hand, it was off to the lounge.

This was still the old lounge before the current renovations. Looking forward to seeing what the new one looks like, because first impressions were: Old and tired. But on the plus side, we had it all to ourselves.

There was a pretty good selection of food and drink to choose from. As it was lunchtime, I got to reacquaint myself with an old friend named Smoked Salmon.

The usual computers for use.

Our ride from across the terminal.

Once we were fed and watered, we wandered down to the gate to board. Things seemed a bit chaotic here thanks to the folks at Sydney airport. There seemed to be 3 entrances to the ticket scanners for Economy, Suites in the middle and Business to the right. I showed my boarding pass to the Toll attendant to then proceeded to ask me to line up in the business class line. An attentive SQ attendant saw my boarding pass from afar and told us to come back. After all that, we got to make that wonderful left turn in the aero bridge.

I can see what people mean when they say the screen is slightly too high for comfortable viewing. Perhaps they thought that people in suites only watch movies in a reclined fashion such is the luxury?

The perfect armchair ride to Singapore!

Plenty of storage room for carry-on. Love the fact that I can grab things from my bag so easily when I need them without going into an overhead locker.

Some sweet Bose headphones. I did find a persistent ringing noise in my ear. Not sure if it was the headphones or something I should see a doctor about. lol. The Kiehls range is nice, but nothing much for guys, so this went straight to the Mrs. I wonder what they could add to an amenity kit that would make it more manly??

Leather bound menu is always a luxurious touch.

Lots of closet space here.

We were seated in 3C and D and for dining. After dinner the flight attendant set up the double bed. We ended up just lounging around like a day bed. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it, but they set up a little table on the side of the bed for drinks and nibbles.

Our newly adopted children enjoying some sweet tunes. Ended up adopting 8 of them for the whole trip. I struggle to remember all their names. They like their mother better anyway.

Just so much space you totally forget your flying in a plane.

Comment

Dinner time! Of course one of the many joys of Suites is having dinner with your travelling partner in the same suite. This sector probably had the best food for the whole trip. We decided to get all different dishes so we could share them.

Comment

Before we knew it, we were in Singapore. First ones off the plane and it was straight to the Private Room. Hard to fit in any more food after the feast onboard, but we had to try the burger!

The service in the Private room was fantastic. So attentive and professional. I've read that some people find the room can be a bit cold and lonely. But because there was a steady stream of people coming and going, I didn't find this to be the case.

Love these showers! So much water! No water restrictions here!

Nothing beats walking into the bathroom with no queue and not feeling rushed. Just reminds me of the time a guy offered me $2000 AUD to go ahead of me while waiting for a shower in the Business class lounge. Weirdest thing ever! Anyone else been bribed? haha

Lobster was delicious!

As with most things, I thought it would be bigger.

I would love to compare Singapore's suites to other first classes as many suggest that they have caught up or even surpassed SQ suites. Is suites still best of the best? or have other airlines' innovations made Suites look dated?

This flight had it all: Space, comfort, fine dining, and attentive professional SQ service. Nothing short of spectacular!

Comment

I might have overlooked your date of travel but given that Kiehl's is not around for some time already, this must have been some time back...

Comment

Brilliant TR so far! Thanks for posting...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              I might have overlooked your date of travel but given that Kiehl's is not around for some time already, this must have been some time back...
              Yeah, this was in April of this year when the new ones were coming out. They must've still been working through old stock because the other sectors were Sothys of Paris.

Comment

Love the bears especially .

And btw, what camera lens do you use? Pics look fabulous

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                  Love the bears especially .

And btw, what camera lens do you use? Pics look fabulous
                  I use a Sony RX100. Takes really great close up shots. Love the fact that its just a compact point and shoot. Just the perfect camera for lightweight travel. I think there's a newer model out now.

Comment

thks for this TofuChicken I have flown SYD-SIN many times now, twice in F but never ever in R, so yrs is a visual 'ride' for me

Your shots of the lounge had led me to think the SYD SKL was re-opened again, but alas....

oh, re your bears, did they start giving out those again? I used to collect these for my kids whenever I fly JCL, but they replaced these lovables with some mindless Ben10 whatever.

Comment

What a great read for the armchair traveller! Looking forward to the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                        oh, re your bears, did they start giving out those again? I used to collect these for my kids whenever I fly JCL, but they replaced these lovables with some mindless Ben10 whatever.
                        This was back in April 2013 when they were giving away bears for J and F passengers. My nieces loved them!

Comment

what i love from this is the bear

Comment

Catering looks very good.

Originally posted by jammed View Post

I got the bears in JCL when I flew in Oct and Nov fyi.

Comment

thks for the info TofuChicken and dfs24

i am now kicking myself - i flew SIN-SYD twice and SIN-ICN once all in J over the past three months and shd have opened my mouth to ask =(

this latest batch is noticeably distinct from previous bears by having a female bear (well, she's wearing a skirt) adorned with a ribbon

Comment

Working...
                              X