Hong Kong, we meet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong, we meet again

And so CX decided to have their S$288 promotion to HKG (with 25% mileage accrual). And the flight timings weren't too bad, for travel till mid-December. So how could I say no?

CX has decided to 'launch' their 'new' regional economy seats. 'Launch' since it wasn't really publicized and 'new' since the seats are actually the much disliked fixed shell seats.

Somehow I actually like the oft-criticized fixed shell seats. To me they're the best economy seats available, along with ANA's, for any flight less than 8 hours. So I chose the 10:05 departure since out of 12 Boeing 777-300s, 9 were refitted, 1 was undergoing refit, and only 2 were still the old regional seats; and also because CX710 was not available with the cheap fares.

For the inbound, I took the 20:00 departure from HKG since it's available, although it was the old regional A330 with ancient IFE. I wonder why CX has 3 flights between 14:25 and 16:00, but none between 16:00 and 20:00. I would have liked it if they had a flight with SQ865 timings.

But anyway it was just S$288. And as an Asian I felt that it was only apt for me to go to Asia's World City twice this year.

And so I checked in online the day before and got my aisle seat, and the flight already appeared to be 75% full. I also decided to use Flightradar24 to see what plane I was getting the night before; I knew that it was either coming in to SIN as CX711 or CX735, but both were refitted 773s that evening so I was a happy man.

Date: Friday 8 November 2013
    Flight: CX736
    Scheduled Departure: 10:05am
    Aircraft: B777-300
    Gate: D32

First things first, I forgot that CX check-in counters were moved to the other end of T1. But fortunately I had a reasonable amount of time. The check-in counters were rather empty too and D32 didn't require a long walk, so I had time for breakfast. I decided to behave like the Singaporean I am, and have Eggs Benedict and coffee. But I didn't know where to get it in Changi, so I headed to T2 to have the convenient and budget (but mediocre) version (with an egg that's not poached) called an Egg McMuffin.

Went to the gate with time to spare, and after around 5 minutes the gate started filling up fast. Yes B-HNI would be operating today. After a while, boarding commenced. The process was conducted orderly-ly. Now, this plane is more than 14 years old but totally didn't look like it.

Boarding was completed before 10:05, and the captain announced that we were waiting for ATC clearance and we should be on our way in 10 minutes. He lied, it was almost a 20 minute wait. But at least the flight time was just 3hr 20min so we were scheduled for an on-time arrival. Safety video was shown; I don't like the animation but I love how soothing it sounds. I actually like to hear 安全帶 (safety belt) in Cantonese because it sounds very calming, although it is not supposed to be a calming word. And 安全帶 is a very often used word in safety videos.

Service was usual for CX, which was really quite good. Lunch was pasta or fish. I had the fish which was good but uninspiring. But along with the meal came the most sour pineapple I've ever bitten into. Other than that the flight was fine, and once again I was given the in-flight survey to fill up. Somehow I think I have a 'I want to do a survey' face because I end up being given one very often on CX. On average out of 3 legs I get 2, but I still do them since I like filling up forms. And the CX pen they give you is quite nice. I've never won the lucky draw though lol. Anyway it now came with a US$5 in-flight shopping voucher which I used on a Longchamp foldable duffle bag (totalled only US$96 in the end) just in case I needed one in case I overdid my shopping.

Landing was smooth. In fact there was almost no turbulence at all that flight. Immigration queues were fast, luggage came out quick, and in no time I was on HK island itself.

Visiting HK to me is just about three things: HK friends, food, and shopping. In various combinations; eating with friends, eating after shopping, etc. Which is a great way to spend any weekend.

One thing I really like about HK is how it's a real mix of new and old. Somehow it just gives the city more character. And after like 15 times in HK I decided to take a ding-ding for the first time.

Three nights passed by quickly, and soon I was homeward bound. To me there's only one way to end a HK trip properly. That is to check in at HK or Kowloon station, and let the airline settle your luggage while you go eat and shop some more.

Date: Monday 11 November 2013
    Flight: CX715
    Scheduled Departure: 20:00pm
    Aircraft: A330-300
    Gate: 65

Okay I apologize for a lack of pictures for the flight back since I forgot to take them. But anyway the plane was old but clean. Other than the IFE you probably couldn't tell that it was more than 12 years old.

To summarize: flight was 100% full, service was good as usual, food was acceptable but uninspiring, and once again I got the survey and another voucher. I think CX should include a question on when was the last time you did this survey. And the pineapple this time wasn't as sour.

Arrived slightly before schedule I think, and that marked the end of another quick HK weekend getaway.
    Last edited by ken44; 24 November 2013, 10:34 PM. Reason: details left out

Wow, 3 CX TRs in a week (including mine ) !!
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Lol I actually read yours, and because you missed the chance to get these oft-criticized seats I decided to write one.

But then when I was almost done I saw one more posted already heh.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        Are you guys trying to resurrect CathayTalk? LOL!!

Comment

Ok, should I jump in also?

Comment

Does anyone else have anything good to say about fixed shell type economy seats?

A few friends decided to pay more to fly SQ after encounters with NH fixed shell Y seats.

Neck ache is common complaint

CX any different?
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 25 November 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              Is this CXTalk ??? Maybe I came to the wrong forum. ..
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Ok, should I jump in also?
                I have one coming soon... (sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  Does anyone else have anything good to say about fixed shell type economy seats?

A few friends decided to pay more to fly SQ after encounters with NH fixed shell Y seats.

Neck ache is common complaint

CX any different?
                  See my other post in the other thread...

FWIW, it is a good product for short hauls

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    Is this CXTalk ??? Maybe I came to the wrong forum. ..
                    We are an open-minded bunch at SQTalk, aren't we?

Comment

Working...
                    X