Summer in and around Osaka region by MH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer in and around Osaka region by MH

Malaysia Airlines has been a carrier of "choice" for me this year due to the greatly discounted fares out of Singapore. A couple of months back, they ran a promotion offering fantastic fares to some Asian destinations and without much hesitation, I booked myself a ticket to Osaka for only around S$550 all-in. A fantastic deal considering MH also allows 30kg baggage allowance in economy! Recently, they ran another promotion offering tickets for an even cheaper fare of S$497 to Osaka! Sorry SQ, but with MH charging less than half of your ridiculous S$1.2+k fare to Osaka on similar departure dates and timings (albeit MH flights will have to transit via KL), I simply could not resist her! In fact for S$1.2K, I could have scored myself a KUL-KIX return in Business Class on MH, but I decided to save the money instead. This would be my 3rd flight report on MH this year, with my last 2 being to Kathmandu and Kuching. It would also be my last report for a while since I will not be doing much flying after this trip, at least for the next couple of months ahead. Please be warned that the report will be picture intensive!!

MH allows online check-in 48hrs before flight, which I was able to perform without much problems. On the day of departure, I rushed to the airport after reaching home from work and picking up my bags, to make it for the 2115hrs departure. MH departs from Terminal 2 and even though the flight this evening was supposed to be full, the check-in counters were almost totally empty 1hr prior to departure.

Boarding passes for both sectors were issued and I was off through immigration.

Departures were mainly to South and South-east Asia at this hour.

Some plane-spotting. Scoot B772 preparing for flight to Gold Coast. Silkair is totally dwarfed by it!

Silkair A320, Swiss A340 and Etihad A330.

From the sunflower garden: A range of SQ and MI aircraft plus the Scoot B772.

02 August 2013
    Malaysia Airlines
    MH 610
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
    B737-800
    9M-MLH
    Economy Class

Departure tonight for the short flight to KUL would be at F33. The gatehold room was already half-filled when I arrived. The incoming flight had just arrived and was a bit late.

An older 9M-MLH in old MH colours would be operating the flight today. Guess they needed the additional 6 seats on this leased aircraft for this full flight.

Boarding was called by Business Class, pax with status, followed by row number from the rear of the plane. It was all very orderly. Soon, I was entering the plane of the newest Oneworld member.

Passing the recliner Business Class seats, with pillows and blankets in every seat.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

However, nothing on the seats for us seated at the rear. Some pillows were available in the overhead bins though.

Cabin crew assisting with bags during boarding. With MH's generous luggage allowance, not many passengers were bringing onboard cabin-sized bags. Thus the overhead bins did not fill up even though the flight was totally full.

At the gate.

Nothing fanciful with the economy seats on this leased plane. Legroom was sufficient though for this very short flight, and felt slightly more than the new BSI planes.

Inflight mag, safety card and airsick bag.

Boarding was completed very quickly and doors were closed. As luck would have it, the seat beside me remained empty even though the rest of the plane filled up to the brim! Safety demo was shown on the drop-down LCD screens and we pushed back slight late.

Tiger at the E gates.

Swiss A340, which will depart for Zurich later at night.

Lufthansa's whale in front of the Changi Tower.

We departed from Rwy20C for the 40min flight to Kuala Lumpur. Nice views of the waters off Singapore can be shortly seen after takeoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WPLxNMR_eA

Making a 270 degrees left turn after takeoff and overflying Changi. Nice view of ships and the night lights of Singapore.

My Travel Map

Comment

Seat belt signs were switched off very early and we were still overflying Changi! Service announcement was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sx5fZ_Do70

View of Singapore. We would be climbing to a cruising altitude of around 27K feet.

As the usual MH short-haul service, peanuts were quickly distributed by a stewardess. This was followed by juices distributed from trays. There were a choice of orange/apple juices and plain water. It seemed that coffee/tea, and even soft drinks (I saw someone requesting a Coke and got the whole can) are available on request. I just had an apple with the peanuts.

Surprisingly, the crew came around offering seconds of peanuts after drinks are distributed! Great service!

Very quickly, the cabin was cleared and we descended into KUL. It was almost totally pitch black outside till we landed on Rwy32L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwXhi-PXtA

Unfortunately, as our gate was still occupied, we needed to hold on the taxiway for about 10min while waiting for the aircraft to pushback.

Arrived at the gate at the Main terminal. It was yet another smooth MH SIN-KUL flight.

As the connecting flight would be departing from the Satellite terminal, I would need to take the Aerotrain over.

There was a 1.5hrs transit timing and thus I decided to visit the newly-renovated Plaza Premium Lounge. It was rather crowded at the time with premium passengers of Air France, KLM and JAL (and maybe more airlines?) as well as various credit-card holders (including yours-truly). However the seating was still sufficient as the airline passengers cleared after a while.

The bar was already closed at the time but the buffet area was still open. Nothing much on offer that interest me though, and most of the hot dishes were already emptied. There was also a salad bar and some canapes on offer.

A shot of part of the buffet.

I just grabbed a minestrone soup, canapes and a drink.

AF and KLM aircrafts can also be seen from the lounge.

My Travel Map

Comment

Looking forward to the rest of the TR. By any chance, does the itinerary include the Wakayama prefecture, south of Osaka? Planning on some onsen vacation in November; hoping to be on time for some autumn leaves.

Comment

After half hour in the lounge, I proceeded to gate C25 for the onward flight. Judging by the faces in the gatehold room, this flight would be predominantly Japanese passengers, with only a few foreign faces.

02 August 2013
          Malaysia Airlines
          Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Osaka Kansai (KIX)
          A330-300
          9M-MTI
          Economy Class

It would be my first flight on Malaysia Airlines' new A330-300 aircraft. This particular plane I would be flying on was delivered less an a year ago. Unlike SQ's A330s with Rolls-Royce engines, MH's were equipped with Pratt & Whitney engines. This would be also one of the few reports on MH's new A330-300 fleet.

Boarding has just started.

Boarding in progress. Was welcomed at the door and directed to the correct aisle.

I would be sitting at 12K, the 2nd row of economy. On each seat were a pillow, blanket and headsets.

Seat-back with touchscreen IFE monitor, handset and USB port. There was also a power outlet under the seat to be shared between every 2 seats.

Seat pitch at 32", is not overly generous, but sufficient. No legrest to restrict my legroom though. However I found the seat base a bit too short for my comfort.

Other than the inflight magazine, there was also the inflight shopping catalogue. Cabin crew also offered Japanese newspapers.

At the gate with Garuda and China Southern beside.

Select IFE was already switched on for use while on the ground.

At STD of 2345hrs when it appeared that all pax had boarded, the plane still appeared quite empty for a supposedly full flight. Then the pilot came on and announced that we were still waiting for 56 connecting passengers from another MH flight from Jakarta which was delayed. Thus we would have to wait for them, which could take up to an hour for the flight arrival and transfer of bags. I was still hoping that my seat beside would remain empty, but I guess this would not be the case later. With the delay in sight, the MH crew decided to serve us our after take-off snack while on the ground. And with the IFE switched on, we could entertain ourselves. Guess this beats waiting in the gatehold room.

MH crew preparing the refreshment service while on ground.

A huge tuna sandwich was served to us.

Last edited by ycp81; 18 August 2013, 03:15 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Orange or apple juices were also offered with the sandwich. The sandwich was delicious and filling! Unlike SQ which did away with post-takeoff refreshments on similar SIN-KIX flight, MH still retained their refreshment service. However, MH has removed other frills in economy, such as menus, hot towels and amenity kits.

Starting with a HK comedy during the refreshment service.

Also made a visit to the lavatory while on ground. The lotions and colognes were still available though. Not sure if toothbrushes were available from the crew.

Also I noticed that there were well-stocked magazine racks at the mid and aft of economy cabin. I don't remember any other airline which stocked such a huge variety of magazines in economy class (don't think SQ have such a huge selection as well). The variety is more suited for Business Class!

Grabbed 3 magazines for the flight.

The cabin was dimmed to allow passengers to rest.

After about less than an hour's wait, our connecting passengers from Jakarta arrived and boarded the plane. Again, all were Japanese passengers and the plane ended up totally full in economy. Doors armed, safety video played, and we pushed back after slightly more than an hour of delay. Flight time would be 6h30m.

Taxi to runway.

We took off from Rwy32R. Note that ATC allowed us to depart ahead of the A380! There were nice views of Putrajaya after takeoff as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRsnu3Lhe8

Climbing.

Bound for Osaka. The crew came round again with more tuna sandwiches, offering to those who were late connecting from Jakarta. Drinks were also offered where I had a cup of water.

My Travel Map

Comment

By the time I had finished my movie, we were an hour into flight. Time to sleep!

After about slightly less than 3hrs of not-so-restful sleep (it is an economy seat after all), the sun was beginning to appear round the horizon.

Cabin lights were switched on and we were somewhere between Philippines and Taiwan.

I felt that the cabin lights were switched on a tad too early as we had 2.5hrs of flying still. Also, breakfast was only served almost half hour after cabin lights were turned on.

Sun is out.

Breakfast service started from the rear of the plane, thus it was a while before I got my meal. Being one of the last to be served, I was afraid that there would not be any more choices, but fortunately both choices of main courses were still available. On offer this morning were Omelette with sausage, hashbrowns and peas or Chicken noodles with vegetables. Sadly, the famed MH nasi lemak breakfast was not offered on this sector, but guess with the passenger profile of mainly Japanese, it would not be a very popular option. I selected the chicken noodles for as my choice.

New serviceware was used on this flight, unlike my previous flights on MH where disposable wares were used. This made the meal presentation much more pleasant.

On the tray were also some cut fruits, a strawberry yoghurt, a warm roll with jam and butter, a small muesli bar and packed orange juice. I also had a coffee to go with the meal. It was all very substantial, and I daresay better than what SQ serves on their overnight red-eyes to Japan.

Fruits (honeydew, rock melon, pineapple and grape) and strawberry yoghurt.

Muesli bar, butter and strawberry jam for bread roll.

Chicken in black pepper sauce, noodles and vegetables. Not too creative but still of acceptable taste. A rather large portion too I must say.

My Travel Map

Comment

Service by the MH crew so far on this flight were still acceptable. I observed that call bells were answered and requests were attended to promptly, similar to what you would expect for crew from a premium carrier. Nothing too outstanding about them though, but guess with this being a red-eye flight, there is not much of "service" that can be performed. I am not a difficult passenger, and as long as the crew serving me is not rude and does not pull long faces or roll eyes at my requests, I will be more than satisfied. Also observed that there is a Japanese stewardess serving in Business Class, and probably another one at the rear of economy.

Overflying Okinawa during breakfast.

View towards the rear economy cabin.

Front economy cabin.

Duty-free sales was conducted after breakfast.

Blue skies and blue sea.

We were soon nearing Osaka. About an hour to go.

Before descend, a destination video was shown.

Descend started slightly less than 30min to arrival. Headsets were collected but the IFE system was not switched off. Speaking of IFE, the selection for the month was sufficient probably for a couple of flights, but not as extensive as the other 5-star carriers. Something which MH could improve on.

Descending.

Nearly there.

Land in sight.

On approach.

My Travel Map

Comment

On finals into the Osaka Bay with traditional malaysian music in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CW9mWsYGHY

Landing in Osaka Kansai Rwy06R and taxi to the gate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxRaLcws_c

Parked at the gate beside an Asiana A321 and Lufthansa B744.

Thank you for flying Malaysia Airlines!

My seat for the last 7.5hrs.

Business Class, which appeared to be rather full as well.

Disembarked. Overall, it was a rather pleasant flight on MH. No complaints here and with the fare paid, it was certainly worth every cent.

Kansai terminal. Think below is the domestic section, with all the ANA planes parked.

Immigration queue for foreigners was almost non-existent and I was through within a couple of minutes. Instead, the queue for residents was much longer as almost the entire flight were Japanese. Then it was a short wait for luggage.

International arrivals FIDS.

Kansai's arrival hall.

Caught the airport limousine to Namba OCAT, where my hotel is situated beside. It was 1,800yen return for the bus ride and took approx 45min.

Across the bridge to mainland.

Reached my hotel. As it was too early to check-in, my bags were deposited. The view from the hotel, Hotel Monterrey Grasmere Osaka, was magnificent as the lobby starts from the 22nd floor! Here the the view from the lobby.

More photos of my Osaka trip next!

My Travel Map

Comment

First thing to do after arrival was to grab an early lunch at Namba Walk. First meal in Osaka! A number of bakeries selling really delicious looking pastries as well!

After lunch, it was a quick browse in a supermarket below my hotel before retreating back for a nap till evening. Anyway, it was too hot during the day to roam around.

Sunset from my hotel room.

Walked to Dotonburi and Shinsaibashi.

Yakitori dinner.

Good night, Osaka.

My Travel Map

Comment

Nice TR. Thanks for sharing

I always sit on the left hand side of the aircraft to KIX (to avoid the rising sun )

so I appreciate the views you took during the landing!

Pictures taken from the left hand side are of Awaji Island

Comment

Day 2:

Sweet and savoury breakfast to start the day!

Kintetsu from Namba to Nara, a 40min ride.

Kintetsu Nara Station

Nara park deers

Packed lunch

Todaiji Temple

My Travel Map

Comment

Dang, that's a lot of deer!
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Within Todaiji Temple grounds.

Deers in temple grounds as well.

Way tastier than any I had in Singapore!

Famous Pablo cheesecake! Long queues at the store!

Cheap and awesome yakitori at a very popular chain! 298yen for every dish and drinks.

Day 3: Visit to Kyoto. It was a very hot and humid day with temperatures up to 35 degrees! Crazy!

First stop, Nijo Castle.

Next stop, Kinkaku-ji (Golden Temple).

My Travel Map

Comment

Golden Temple!

Third stop for the morning, Kyoto Imperial Palace.

Buffet lunch.

Fourth stop, Heian Shrine.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X