Etihad Pearl Business Class BNE-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etihad Pearl Business Class BNE-SIN

my recent BNE-SIN TR for anyone interested.

Some background – as I fly from SIN to Australia regularly, I have been monitoring SQ, QF and EK airfares to SYD and MEL regularly. Several months ago, I noticed that EY fares to BNE can be spectacularly low at certain times of the week, including its Pearl Business Class seats. After holding my breath for some weeks, I finally nailed a SIN-BNE-SIN return on Business class for a SGD amount that is close to SQ’s full Economy fare. I checked the e-ticket but I can’t locate the exact fare bucket this fare comes from. Anyway, I suspect the super low fare is a glitch than a norm. Since then, the cheapest fare is around SGD3,000++.

I made the SIN-BNE EY470 earlier but with that being a red-eyed and the flight delayed from 23:30pm to 00:30am departure, in view of late arrival from AUH, I fell asleep soon after take off and only woke up abt an hour before BNE.

This TR is on the BNE-SIN return on EY473, made on Thu 8 Aug 2013.

Pre-Flight
    EY has a chauffeur service to the airport and I was glad to have booked the ride while in SIN. When I sought to confirm the vehicle in Brisbane, the EY hotline was perpetually busy. Having found out the local limo provider when I arrived in BNE, I eventually called the provider directly to confirm the vehicle. Pick-up was very prompt and the lady-driver was very friendly and helpful

Check-In
    I didn’t manage to succeed in online check-in, despite many attempts. Here may be a weakness in EY’s system, as with the hotline. But the physical check in at BNE was smooth – I arrived at BNE abt 11:00am for the 12:45pm flight. Of cos, BNE is starkly different from SYD and even MEL – its much less crowded and the high-ceilings and bright ambience combined to made the pax experience so much more pleasant. Security and passport control was a breeze too, with only several other pax in lines and my Express Pass seemingly worthless.

Lounge
    EY doesn’t have its own lounge and my invite was to the Air NZ lounge. While in SYD and MEL I have always preferred NZ lounges there over SKL, but this NZ in BNE is smallish and the food variety rather limited. It reminds me of the MEL SKL. Add on to that, NZ lounge was also serving several partner airlines, including Asiana OZ iirc. With the place crowded, crammed may actually be a apt word, I didn’t want to fish out my camera to take pics.
    But without much of a choice and only abt 30 min to while away prior to boarding, I had a few drinks and made some final emails, messages, whatsapp, etc. Wifi speed is alright.
    Last edited by jammed; 13 August 2013, 11:00 AM.

Boarding
    Boarding was scheduled for 11:45am but the actual process started close to 12pm. There was a priority queue for Biz and EY’s Gold and partners.

BNE-SIN
    Thu 8 Aug 2013
    Flight: Etihad EY 473
    Aircraft: A330-243
    Rego: A6-EYD
    Seat: 9A

Today’s EY473 was to be flown by A6-EYD; according to planespotter’s database, this was EYs first A330-200, having been launched in May 2005, and was coming to 8 years old. Personally, and very frankly, don't like the livery.

I was greeted at the door and conducted to the left. The plane/flight was a 2-class set-up with Pearl Business up front and Coral Economy filling up the rest.

EY’s Business class has an interesting seating configuration. I’m afraid my pictures don’t do justice to the full set-up and so at the end of this series, I will refer you to EY’s official pics of their Business class seat.

Seat 9A. The window seat is slightly recessed from the aisle. On the left of the pic are several storage spaces, which except for the magazine holders are pretty useless since they are not easily accessible by the pax.

Notice the bottle of water to the side of the seat; below that is the storage for the IFE headphones.

the IFE is fairly wide, at 15" according to EY. The ottoman below the IFE actually stretches rather amply into the left of Seat 8C – the staggered configuration means even numbered rows are aisle seats without window seating, such as 6C, 8C and 10C, while the odd numbered rows are window seats without aisle seating, such as 5A, 7A and 9A. Hope you get the picture.

The seat-pic, courtesy of seatguru, illustrates:

Across the aisle, Seats 9D and 9G are direct aisle seats and partitioned by the storage spaces. Seats 8E and 8F are recessed from the aisle and are very close to one another – ideal for travelling couples but perhaps too close for comfort for strangers.

EY’s corporate video shows how these seats work in their full glory

The seat position controller, complete with massage function, quite similar to EK. Below that is the IFE controller.

The Purser and Stewardess were smiley and quick to offer up choices of drinks. The Purser explained the various seat functions to me and took my orders for lunch.

Amenity kits were then distributed.

The Korres pouch contained a stick of lip balm and moisturiser. Next to the toothbrush and paste were two ear plugs in the small box. The Care Kit contains cotton buds, emery board and cotton make-up remover. Afterwards, my wife would comment that they shd have put in some effort to spruce up the kit – the poor quality of the toothbrush and ear plugs for example detracts rather than enhance the package. The cloth-material pouch was also a tad sloppy - there was a loose running thread in the pouch of my SIN-BNE sector. While this was certainly better than nothing (ie. SQ!!!), it definitely can't compare with the generous offerings in EK.

Similarly, I find the headphones less than ideal - perhaps I have been spoilt a bit by better quality headphones (certainly SQ's Bose QC3 tho admittedly that is in F) Eventually, I switched to my simple Sennheiser earphones.

Entertainment-wise, I find myself mentally comparing with SQ’s huge range of movies and TV programmes – EY’s movie selection simply can’t measure up. While I’m no follower of the latest movies, I distinctly remember that Les Miserable, with a singing Wolverine Jackman, was quite some time ago. There were a total of 4 Chinese, 2 Korean and 0 Japanese movies; only saying, cos I’m more inclined towards these selections.

Below are collaterals in the magazine rack – E-Box being the IFE channel guide, going clockwise: Grand Prix being EY’s championing for F1, Aspire is EY’s inflight mag, Boutique EY’s duty free, and finally Abu Dhabi destination guide. All in rather…. yawn.
    Last edited by jammed; 14 August 2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Pushback was at 12:35pm and the taxi-ing was quite a bit before we lined up for take-off. on the way, we went past SQ236 etd 14:00pm, about 90 min behind EY473.

One of the little trivia I like abt EY and EK (and lament oh why can’t SQ do this) is nose-cam:

Rotate:

Quickly enough, my choice of champagne was served up, together with nuts – here I’m trivialising: they have just the right mix of cashew and almonds! Every time I’m served nuts on SQ, I wonder how much trouble it will cause if I ask the FS for just cashew? Anyone knows if they mix up different bags of nuts into a plate or they come mixed already? Sorry, just asking.

Lunch was served soon after. I chose the Roast Duck Salad, from among options of Carrot Soup and Arabic Mezze, and was soon regretting the choice – found it a tad fatty for my liking.

I also didn’t quite like my Baramundi - other options were Chicken Breast with Veges, Lamb-Shank Arabic Style and Vegetarian. Is it the options or maybe my palette just didn’t quite agree with me that day:

At least some solace in the Vanilla Ice Cream:

I did sleep some, in between the hobson’s choice of movies. The seat while flat is by comparison to SQ and even EK, a tad narrow.
      Perhaps a bit unfairly, I find myself subconsciously and constantly making comparisons with SQ, and the default experience with the “world’s widest business class seat” made me feel that I’m running out of turning space, though in reality that really shdnt be the case. Probably the same for IFE selections and food choices. Maybe I’m spoilt. Maybe I’m missing home – I’m flying SIN on 8 Aug afterall.

Incredibly, we arrived over the descend area over Batam before 18:00pm (our ETA was 19:10pm). With a bit of tail-wind, EY 473 has accomplished what SQ sometimes did too =)

Turning to line up with 20R.

Nose-cam now; on the left is Ubin

Touch down at 18:25pm, a good 40min ahead of ETA.

Hmm, something is missing. What is it? Oh, “… and to all residents of Singapore, a warm welcome home”.

thoughts and evaluation
      As a SQ flyer by default and other times via EK, I can't help but subconsciously compare each EY item and feature with those of SQ and EK. Pre-Flight EY's OLCI and call centres paled dismally compared with SQ - yes, even with its portal woes, at least i can check in. And while EK's call centre can be trying at times, I can at least get thru to speak to someone. EY's limo airport transfer was certainly something SQ did not offer (or did not see it necessary to compete) but a feature similar with my EK experiences in SIN and MEL. Lounges-wise, EY's lack of dedicated facility and use of Air NZ levels it with SQ - sadly I have found SQ's lounges in SYD and MEL rather small and dull, abt the only thing i look fwd to in these joints is to catch up with Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao. In contrast, I have always found EK's lounges spacious, bright and even the food offerings diverse and generous.

Equipment As a matter of personal preferences, i just dont like EY's livery. So, sorry nothing more to say here. The aircraft at 8 yrs old is pretty well maintained and very clean - I have seen worse elsewhere, long and short hauls and so appreciate the crew putting in their best even mid-flights.

I do find the seats narrow, compared to SQ and even with EK. But truth be told, there is ample space for lying down completely, straightening my legs (but i'm 1.65m) and turning ard in the seat. The 'walls' ard the seat, while providing greater semblence of privacy, can be rather claustophobic to some - but i can live with it, not feeling uncomfortable.

Food-and entertainment-wise, again the range and quality cannot measure up to SQ and even EK. But again, I can live with this.

At the bottomline, this flight compels me to think abt what really matters to me, and it went down to the seat. I guess I'm so used to the spaciousness of SQ's J seat - the "world's widest business class seat', that i feel rather constrained in this otherwise ok seat. Which makes me wonder how SQ's latest J product, trimming that 'widest seat', will go down with the pax. But at the end of the day, the fare I paid at SGD1,300++, is just slightly higher than SQ's full Y fare for the same sector. For that amt and for the relative quality, I'm pretty satisfied with EY.

So, will I fly EY on this product again? My answer will be yes, if its that amount, or better still, less.

thanks every one for your read, and if anyway i can help with any questions, do feel free to send them along.
      Last edited by jammed; 14 August 2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
        Realising that there are no TRs on Etihad...

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10969

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9831

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10795

HUGE AL

Comment

Maybe he meant no TR on EY between BNE and SIN on JCL.

Comment

oops, so there were. I had searched for references when i was booking, but clearly my research skills were very much lacking. Sorry

Comment

I'm so used to SQ's wide J seats that I find EY's a tad narrow! Does it feel that way? Thanks, for the TR, Jammed!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                I'm so used to SQ's wide J seats that I find EY's a tad narrow! Does it feel that way? Thanks, for the TR, Jammed!
                Great Report!

Yes EY seat is kinda narrow if you intend to compare against SQ's wide seat.

Comment

Dang, just yesterday I was looking at EY J from ICN to FRA yesterday but in the end decided to fly QR again. The EY J seat looks nice enough but reminds of the TG J seats on their 388...do they just look claustrophobic?
                  /Desert Traveller

Comment

LOL

oops, so there were. I had searched for references when i was booking, but clearly my research skills were very much lacking. Sorry
                    jammed, I seriously wasn't trying to get up in your grill. I just vaguely remembered that there might have been a few TRs long ago and Googled "site:sqtalk.com "EY"" No worries at all!

Appreciate your report as it's been a while!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      yes, i agree with you. I do find EY seats narrower, esp when - like you my default has been SQ. But seriously, it reminds me of SQ's old 747 Biz Skybed (was that what it was called? Seems so long ago)

Comment

Originally posted by j.lin View Post
                        Great Report!

Yes EY seat is kinda narrow if you intend to compare against SQ's wide seat.
                        thanks man; yes, agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
                          Dang, just yesterday I was looking at EY J from ICN to FRA yesterday but in the end decided to fly QR again. The EY J seat looks nice enough but reminds of the TG J seats on their 388...do they just look claustrophobic?
                          i have never been on TG J so cant make that comparison. I dont find them claustophobic though I can imagine they can be some pple as the 'walls' seems to be close enough. Correspondingly, as i pointed out, it can be quite private, esp the window seats which are recessed from the aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            jammed, I seriously wasn't trying to get up in your grill. I just vaguely remembered that there might have been a few TRs long ago and Googled "site:sqtalk.com "EY"" No worries at all!

Appreciate your report as it's been a while!
                            no worries mate. Seriously tho, i did google but prob just "sqtalk EY, etihad" etc.

Comment

thought i shd also share the menu here

Comment

Working...
                              X