Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A peek into UA Y (SIN-HKG vv) on B777

Hi there folks,

It's been darn long since I posted any TR here, so do expect a decline in quality from me. I'm gettin' all rusty and need more warming up again

OK, to cut a long story short, I was looking for a cheap weekend getaway (as always) and the choices were either Bali, HKG or BKK. A few clicks here and there, vuolaaa my impulse side directed me to UA website and made the booking immediately. The price turned out to be the lowest too among all other full service airlines at SGD381 for a return trip to HKG. This was back in late April 2013.

Since this was gonna be my virgin footstep into UA's B777, I was actually very much looking forward to it.

Arrived Changi T3 at 4.20am expecting a long queue for TSA check, I was proven long. It was so quiet and I proceeded straight to the check-in counter after clearing the TSA guy. I was the lone passenger at the check-in area in fact.

Nothing much to be done at this wee hour of the morning, I went to SATS Premier Lounge to have my breakfast (complimentary from ANZ Travel Card ) since there was still another 60 mins or so before boarding commenced. The lounge was relatively packed and mostly Americans (must be passengers on the same flight or the flight to NRT which was only an hour later apart by departure timing)

Selection of food was ok, but I seriously wonder how the chef got the job in the first place. The food was bland, dry and...hmmm inedible basically. None of the supposedly "cold drinks" in the fridge was cold.

The lounge visit was quite uneventful, so I decided to head straight to the waiting room.

As expected, this flight had very light load and when I asked the agent, she replied that the load was only around 30% to HKG. Oh well, at least I've stamped my bump onto their B777 seat before it's downgraded to B738 again

Soon I settled in my seat and looking out the window, it was drenching badly. Another sibling to NRT was still sleeping soundly on the tarmac

The seat was surprisingly very comfortable (I could actually imagine myself sitting on this seat all the way to the US) and legroom was adequate. All the minimum basic features by today's aviation standard were present; PTV, AVOD IFE, comfortable seat, pillow, blanket, headphone, etc. So I was quite pleased after boarding the plane. Oh and yeah, the 100% Asian crew on that flight was super friendly and attentive. I almost thought I had mistakenly stepped foot into an Asian airlines

Welcome screen. Although small in size, I was impressed by the responsiveness of the touch screen.

View from my seat. IFE was turned on even before take-off.

One thing I noticed from UA flight was that all windows were fully pulled down when I entered the plane.This is very much in contrary to what SQ practices. Not only they were fully closed during boarding, but the crew also made an announcement prior to final approach into HKG to gently remind all passengers seated on the window side to help pull down the window shades for the convenience of next passengers. Can anyone explain why the difference in practice? I thought it was a mandatory safety issue to have all windows fully opened during take off and landing??

To be continued...

P.S: I wonder why I cant post any more pictures here when the limit is clearly 12/post and I have just uploaded 8 photos so far...tech glitch?

Keep the TR coming

Every emoticon counts as one image, it's not a glitch.
    Last edited by SilverChris; 14 May 2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      Keep the TR coming

Every emotion counts as one image, it's not a glitch.
      Ah ic...thanks for the tips. Now I know I must restrain myself from using all the funny emoticons

Comment

The flight took off pretty much on time at 6.05am as it was one of the very first few flights during that time slot and oh boyyyy.....I almost shitted my pants when we were passing through the turbulence right after take-off. The seat belt sign was basically turned on for the next 20 mins or so and it was really bad. I actually knocked my head onto the window because the turbulence wasn't just causing the plane to drop in altitude, but also shook it like how a bartender makes cocktail drinks...literally!

When the sky was finally showing some bright sunlight, breakfast was served. After hearing all the bad comments about UA service and stingy F&B offering on its SIN-HKG sector, I wasnt expecting much to be honest. A friend of mine who took the flight few years ago said that UA only served cold sandwich on this 3.5 hours flight, which I thought was a bit harsh by Asian standard (although one may think he's grateful if he's in the US )

Breakfast was a choice of omelette or fried carrot cake. Good job UA! Another surprise for me. I chose the latter and it turned out to be fantastically delicious. The portion was adequate too

After my meal tray was collected by this super friendly female crew, it's time to walk around this empty cabin and took a few shots of the plane. Toilet was basically clean with basic amenities like soap, tissue paper and body lotion.

Most passengers were comfortably sleeping...so I decided to go back to my seat and followed suit.

Comment

Just before leaving the aircraft, I managed to take a couple of pics of UA's Biz & First Class seat. I'll leave to you all to comment

This is the infamous Biz Class seat where you get to sit face-to-face with your adjacent passengers (2-4-2 format)

First Class seats provide more privacy (1-2-1 format)

The flight landed 15 mins ahead of the schedule and most passengers were in transit to somewhere else.

I won't be covering HK at all here since it's a common destination that many of you have covered before...but I just want to add that I found 1 gem in *** Chai area whereby they serve the BEST pork chop (curry, salt & pepper style, etc). It's a MUST EAT item for me now when I go to HKG in the future. The meat is so tender and flavourful that you'll be craving for more. SUN KING YUEN CURRY RESTAURANT, 20 Spring Garden Lane, *** Chai. Jot that one down!

Returning trip to SIN was at 20.00 from HKG, so it's a dinner service which means better food (supposedly). Again, complimentary of ANZ Travel Card (Priority Pass), I was able to enjoy the lounge access at HKIA (Plaza Premium Lounge)

Nicely decorated...looks very high class once you enter the lounge

Now this is what lounge food is supposed to be like. Plenty of choices to choose from here

2nd round...i was really hungry

Realising the time was already 7.35pm, I rushed to the departure gate which was so far away and had to be reached by skytrain. Everyone had already boarded the plane...

Contrary to the turbulent outbound flight, this one was calm all the way to SIN. And this round full moon accompanied me throughout the journey. It was amazingly clear and bright with the reflection of the light on the sea water

Dinner time! Again UA has successfully delivered something which I didnt expect at all. Full course of hot dinner with the choice of beef-steak (my choice) or asian choice of some chicken with rice & veg. The beef steak was definitely one of the best in Y class I've ever tasted. The crew showed so much passion when serving the passengers that it really blew me off. Maybe I had expected the worst of UA after hearing all the horror stories.

Another unique feature that UA has is the flight deck audio channel. I was so into it for the last 45 mins before arriving back safely into Singapore. It is something new and certainly interesting to observe the conversation between SIN ATC and the pilots all all flights departing/arriving in Singapore within its radar. Good job UA

Conclusion:
          Will I fly UA again? Without any hesitation, you bet I will. I even start thinking if I should make UA my first choice of travel between SIN and HKG now, simply because of the cheap fare, great schedule from SIN, fantastic service on board and all the unique stuff from this underrated airlines.

Thanks for reading my TR. I hope this is useful for those of you who have doubts on UA all these while. Adios...

Comment

Thanks for the report

Thanks for the report!

United had sunk to a very low level by serving cold meals (snack boxes) during the pre-Continental merge period. HKG to SIN features sandwiches, and SIN to HKG features some Danishes.

However with Continental 738 taking over this route, hot meals have returned on the SIN routes, and with the 777, hot meals are back after many complaints.

The meals look pretty good and I am glad that United has once again provided hot meals on this connection route. Just curious if SGN will get the sandwiches or hot meals, since flying time is shorter!

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield

Comment

Hi Carfield,

Thanks for dropping by. Indeed, it was a pleasant experience flying with UA this time. I frequented them on their US domestic routes and none of those resemble what I had just experienced this time round.

Now my curiosity has been answered

Comment

Great TR!

I don't think I can do face-to-face seats.
                "The awkward moment when you look up from your seats and into the eyes of your potential life partner."

:-P

Comment

Seems that the breakfast catered is the same for the SIN-NRT flights.

I had the same carrot cake last year.

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                    Great TR!

I don't think I can do face-to-face seats.
                    "The awkward moment when you look up from your seats and into the eyes of your potential life partner."

:-P
                    On a positive note, who knows...if you're still single, you might get hitched....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                      Seems that the breakfast catered is the same for the SIN-NRT flights.

I had the same carrot cake last year.
                      I must say that the omelette looked more appetising than the carrot cake. But the carrot cake tasted good...at least better than the one that MI serves.

How did you find the Asian based crew on your NRT bound flight?

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdrool View Post
                        On a positive note, who knows...if you're still single, you might get hitched....LOL
                        if Mrs RCTP doesn't mind.

But I just generally react badly to having face in the opposite direction of where I'm travelling towards.

Rides on buses and trains in the "wrong" direction gives me motion sickness, or maybe it's a pure psychological problem. Haha.

Hmm. Wouldn't it be weird during take off, instead of being pushed into the seat, you get pushed "out" of the seat?

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                          Hmm. Wouldn't it be weird during take off, instead of being pushed into the seat, you get pushed "out" of the seat?
                          Imagine during take-off, one suddenly have a seat-belt "accident" and cause one to lunge forward to the pax in front.

Sorry, it is almost Friday and I'm getting carried away

Comment

What went thru the mind of the designer in the first place to come out with such a concept is beyond anyone's comprehension. At least UA decided to have 3-3-3 layout in Y, which is a plus compared to the likes of EK, KL, or EY

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdrool View Post
                              Another unique feature that UA has is the flight deck audio channel. I was so into it for the last 45 mins before arriving back safely into Singapore. It is something new and certainly interesting to observe the conversation between SIN ATC and the pilots all all flights departing/arriving in Singapore within its radar. Good job UA
                              Great TR! I love Channel 9 too...although the last few times I flew UA, it was turned on for less than half of the flights. Always try to listen in, if on when approaching Singapore.

Comment

Working...
                              X