Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnair Business Class New Seats HEL-BKK May 2013

Finnair – first or second tier Business Class

Finnair has always been an interesting European airline and I have flown mostly intra-Asian (when it flew between BKK and HKG/SIN a decade ago) and intra-European flights, and my last Finnair long haul flight was earlier in the 2006 when it has begun a nonstop flight between HKG and HEL using MD-11s. My impression of Finnair was interesting and my impression was that it provided an acceptable business class experience. It is definitely more practical than fancy and its main meal service is okay, but its pre-arrival meal aims to be on the “light” side with no choice. However its business class fares are always on the low side, so I guess you can’t expect too much. I have decided to give it a try again, as its new business class seats look pretty good. Due to my particular routing, my choice is British Airways’ Club World or Finnair’s new business class. Since I hate BA’s Club World seats, I decide to go for Finnair and Bangkok is one of Finnair’s destinations that will consistently have the new full flat business class seats. In some way, I am impressed with the cabin, and Finnair’s version of seats is definitely better than SN Brussels Airlines’ version, which I will explain a bit towards that section, and I have photo evidence too. Its cabin service is efficient and its catering remains average, nothing too fancy. BTW, since I have posted detail information on Finnair’s long-haul lounge before, I decide to skip taking photos, as the lounge is very busy during the late afternoon hours with eight departures to Asia between 4 and 6pm.

Beautiful day here at Helsinki – it seems that AY 832 always uses a bus gate, but good opportunity to take a picture of the beautiful A321 – filled with passengers connecting to Asia.

May 3, 2013
    AY 89 HEL-BKK Lv1710 Arr0715+1 Airbus A330-300X OH-LTU

Lounge
    No photo about the lounge (but I have done an extensive AY F lounge report before), but just want to share a few observations – Finnair really tries to sell many “premium” products in the lounge, such as premium wines and champagne, as well as fancy food like caviar and a four course full dinner. It even tries to sell sushi. In some ways, Americans have been selling food and premium alcohols in its lounges for decades, but most European airlines lounges don’t do it. To give Finnair credits, it has a decent complimentary food buffet with the usual soup bar, a salad bar with assorted bread rolls, as well as one kind of hot snacks (today’s choice is spring roll), assorted light snacks with pretzels, and some light desserts. I love the Organic mushroom soup, which I happen to crave most of the times. However I don’t really find selling fancy food and/or wines an overly premium experience. Most European airlines don’t do it and I just personally find it rather cheap for an airline to post advertisement and even making audio announcements to sell food and drinks in a supposedly top business class lounge. There are also too many limitations on who can consume particular alcohol offerings, and all these small things cheapen the premium class experience significantly. From what I can see, no one is really buying anything so it is annoying to passengers and do not really improve Finnair’s cash flow.

Helsinki is very busy at this afternoon hour and for those aviation enthusiasts, I actually jog down the following information:
    OH-LTN (333) to Chongqing, OH-LTP (333) to Pudong, OH-LTR (333) to Kansai, OH-LQF (343) to Beijing, OH-LQD (Marimekko Poppy livery) to Tokyo Narita, OH-LQE to Nagoya, and OH-LTS to Seoul Incheon

Too bad that I can’t take any good airplane photos, due to the design of the airport!

OH-LTU, An Airbus A330-300 with the new business class, is being used for today’s Bangkok flight. I tried to take a picture, but just can’t find a decent one to post. Bangkok airport is even worst in this aspect. Today, we used gate 32, and there was a separate priority boarding line for premium passengers. It is also strictly enforced, unlike typical intra-European flights.

Boarding began at 4:28pm and I was the first one to board, as I wanted to take some good cabin pictures. I actually had a good amount of time to do so, as the loading in business class was very light this afternoon, while economy was very full.

Cabin:
    The new business class is actually a major improvement from the sliding seats that Finnair is still using on other A340s and older A330s. The seats are configured in an alternate four and five abreast arrangement, and all the “L” seats are solo, which I choose. Many passengers prefer 2C, 4C, or 6C, as they have two giant side tables, but I am very concerned that those seats will have very narrow space for feet, which are the main downfall on these kinds of business class seats. Here is the smartly looking cabin and I like the lighter shade of blue that Finnair uses now.

During boarding, the F/As offered a choice of orange juice, water or champagne (served in real glasses), as well as newspapers and noise-canceling headsets.

Door was closed early at 4:57pm and it continued to amaze me how Europeans were able to board in an orderly fashion and how a reasonable hand carry policy can make the boarding experience so much better.

Couple shots, while taxing to R/W22R
    OH-LQD Marimekko Poppy livery to Narita this afternoon

Finnair’s A340-300 Oneworld livery

Giant and mini Oneworld AY planes

Finnair A319 OH-LVG

After OH-LVG took off, we taxied into R/W22R and lifted off at 5:12pm.
    View of Helsinki Vantaa airport after we took off and turned back towards Russia

Flying time was a very short eight hours and fifty-nine minutes. Our routing took us over Sipoo and Gulf of Finland, as we climbed to 33,000feet. We passed through St/Petersburg Airport (LED), Nikolsk, Kirov Pobedilao Airport (KVX), Izhevsk, Neftekmask, Dyurtyuli-Ufa International Airport, and Orsk before climbing to 37,000feet. We passed Buckhara, and then climbed to 38,000feet, and then passing Ternez and Kabul, before climbing to 39,000feet, and then passing Peshawar, Loare, Delhi, Luknow, and Dhanbad. We finally reached 41,000feet, before passing Kolkata, and then into Myanmar coast, Pegu and Moulmein, and then into Bangkok.

The F/As passed out shoe bags (a nice feature), and then the amenity kit. I really think this amenity kit is the lowest point of this Finnair flight, and will let the pictures to do the talking.

Amenity Kit:

It claims to be environmentally friendly, but if passengers don’t even have incentive to take those kits home, there is still a lot of wastage. There are two ways that Finnair can go – just follow what JAL, ANA, and Singapore Airlines have done now – handed out the shoe bag, socks/slippers, and pair of eyeshades after takeoff and don’t bother with the kit, and stocked your bathrooms with these amenity items, or offer a real proper amenity kit. This current version is just poorly designed and shows the lack of creativity.

Cabin service:
    Beverage service started shortly after takeoff with hot towel and then a beverage service with vegetable crisps.
    Here is the wine list:
    Champagne
    Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut
    Champagne, France

White Wines
    Schlumberger Riesling Grand Cru Saering 2011, Alsace Grand Cru, France
    Paolo Leo Numen Chardonnay 2011, Puglia IGT, Italy

Red Wines
    Chateau Malescasse 2005, Cru Bourgeois, Haut-Medoc, France
    San Polo Brunello Di Montalcino 2005, Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Tuscany, Italy

Sweet Wine
    Chateau LaFaurie-Peyraguey 2002, Sauternes, France
    Niepoort Colheita 1998, Port Portugal Niepoort (Vinhos) S.A.

66300000 VINILISTA/WINELIST 12/12

I have a glass of the Riesling.

Comment

Menu:
      Dinner

Fresh Salad

Mediterranean antipasto
      Serrano ham, Italian salami, peperoncini filled with cream cheese, grilled mushroom

Velvety Sweet Corn Cream Soup

Lots of utensils

Salmon with Pepper crust, potato leek ragout
      Or
      Chicken with peanut butter sauce Singaporean Style, Steamed rice

Comment

Or
        Ravioli filled with goat cheese, tomato sauce and roasted pine nuts

Dessert set

Cheeses
        Black Gouda, Brie

Cranberry cake with caramel sauce

Fresh Fruit – there is a real fresh fruit basket and choices today include mandarin oranges, bananas, grapes, and apples

Coffee, avec

Cappuccino, espresso and a selection of Sirocco teas are also available.

The dinner service was pretty good and it is slightly improved from my first flight years ago. The main course is a bit strange, and it not really an authentic Asian dish. I will describe it as a European interpretation of an Asian dish – chicken topped with peanut sauce. I chose it because I did not like the other choices. My suggestion will be to avoid Asian dishes if you cannot get it right. Just serve a normal European dish and only serve an Asian dish, when you fly out from an Asian city and their catering is more prepared for preparing authentic dishes. I appreciate the dessert set and being able to have all three desserts, if I choose to. A good business class product will allow passengers to have cheese, fruit AND dessert. Please take note, British Airways, as United is now even offering cheese AND dessert on its business class product now!

After dinner, bottled waters were passed out and lights were dimmed.

Seat:

Comment

Foot space for L seats – which is okay for Finnair’s version (major different from the tiny foot space on SN Brussels Airlines’ A330-300)

Side table with seat control and headset console

Tray table release button

Power outlet and headset plug

Seat pocket

Shoe storage

The prized seat 2C (same as 4C and 6C)

Okay foot space

Comment

Seat in the preset “relax” position

Seat in the full flat position

The seat is very comfortable and I feel asleep quickly. I pretty slept till we entered the Indian airspace. The bed was very comfortable. Entertainment system – it had the usual array of movies and television programs, and it is an on demand system. It is not extensive like CX, EK, or SQ, but is acceptable.

Lights turned on again at 4:20am Bangkok local time (midnight Helsinki time), and hot towel were passed out, as well as orange juice. Linen was then passed out, and followed by a typical Finnair’s pre-arrival meal – no choice and one tray service. I still think Finnair can wait for another thirty minutes before starting the breakfast service especially it is an one tray service – not a multiple course breakfast like CX or SQ. The breakfast is actually quite nice, and the omelette is better than most typical airlines’ omelet. There are plenty of croissants and bread rolls on offer.

Breakfast

Omelette with cheddar cheese cream, chicken sausage and pepper ragout

Fresh fruit, breakfast museli, yogurt

Comment

Coffee or Tea
              66300313 HEL-BKK 2/1301

After the quick breakfast service, I went to the bathroom and Finnair even has window in the bathroom now.

The last hour of the flight was relatively quiet and everyone was getting ready for the arrival. Descent began at 5:37am Bangkok local time, and it felt like that we were vectoring around Bangkok before our final approach.

A shot of the winglet before landing

There were many early arrivals from Europe, and we landed on R/W19R at 6:11am. Taxing was relatively short, and we parked at gate E8 at 6:18am, fifty-seven minutes ahead of schedule. The ground staffs were at the gate passing out fast track passes to arriving business class passengers, and connecting passengers are not given the fast pass for obvious reasons, and I presume non-revenue passengers are excluded too.

In conclusion, Finnair offers a good price business class product, and it is clear that it is not aiming to challenge CX or SQ or other top class products, but to offer an affordable and more practical product. The new seats are very nice, but unfortunately, only four A330s got these new seats. The flight attendants were average, but nothing too out of the world. They did their jobs efficiently and did their midnight round offering waking passengers juices. There were a few Thai F/As in both cabins too. Thai P/As were made throughout the flights – not pre-recorded but live PA. The meal service has shown some improvement but the pre-arrival meal remains rather underwhelming with the lack of lighter choice. The amenity kit is definitely unacceptable and this paper bag cheapens the premium class experience. Why bother? I will rather they pass out slippers (since AY flies to many Asian destinations) and eyeshades with amenities in the bathroom or in the galley. With the new seats, they have cut out the snack bar too, which is disappointing. IMHO, if Finnair continues to price its business class competitively, the current product is acceptable, but I can’t imagine paying full fare for this current product. The new seats are nice but all other aspects of the business class still needs some work and minor touchups.

I hope you will enjoy this trip report!

Carfield

Comment

Nice TR! The cabin has a very space-age look to it. Food looks pretty good too (except maybe for the one pseudo-Asian main dish...)

Comment

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                  X