Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New American way of Flying - AA 77W F DFW-LHR May 2013

Trip Report – The New American is Arriving

I finally have a chance to experience the new American Airlines’ Boeing 777-300ER and if this is the future of AA, I am looking forward to more of it, and hopefully the tired domestic cabins will feature these new changes including new seats with power outlets and personal TV featuring audio video on demand. In general, I really like the new first class seat, which is definitely a major step above the former flagship suite on Boeing 777-200ERs. The new suite is definitely comparable with British Airways’ new first class suites (even a bit better) and Cathay Pacific’s first class suites. The inflight service, which is usually American’s weakest part, was pleasant and the DFW crews were usually a bit better than the Chicago and New York based crews. However the wine list and the menu are definitely not up to par, especially the wine list. The menu is almost the same as business class, with a few additional courses and side dishes. I will point out the difference in the menu transcript. The wine list is just sad and I don’t expect AA to bring back the Perrier Jouet, but can we settle on a better champagne brand that is better known? Business class is served the same kind of Gosset champagne but a lower grade.

May 2, 2013
    AA 50 DFW-LHR Lv1835 Arr0750+1 Boeing 777-300ER N720AN/”7LD”

Check-in:
    I arrived at the airport around 1pm and the premium check-in counters at DFW Terminal D were not too busy. There were more agents than passengers, but I might be a bit early even there were a number of European flights taking off soon. The agent was very friendly. But there is no Flagship check-in like other major American Airline hubs, like LAX and JFK. I am not sure if it is important, but it is nice to have a more private check-in experience.

Boarding
    AA 50 has been using gate D25 everyday since Boeing 777-300ER has been introduced on this route.

Gate D50 before the crowd arrived

Admiral Club – most underwhelming part of the trip, despite this Admiral Club is one of the nicer ones in DFW. However, I still think it is ridiculous not to have a flagship lounge here at DFW, one of American’s largest hubs. Even as a first class passenger, I only get one single premium beverage coupon (and I honestly think a refreshment coupon will be more appropriate). The Admiral Club is very busy during this early afternoon hours and getting more crowded as the afternoon proceeds.

The best part of the Admiral Club at Terminal D is the view of the apron especially it provides a good view of the planes parked at D24 and D25, which are not surprisingly occupied by American Airlines’ latest fleet additions – Boeing 777-300ERs. N721AN had just arrived from LHR, and would be taking a break here at DFW today, while N720AN would operate my flight to LHR after spending the night here at DFW. I wonder if there are some trainings going on before the introduction of a tighter schedule in June.

N720AN taking me to LHR

N721AN getting ready to push back for a break at DFW for the night

Pushing Back

Comment

Double 77Ws at DFW

Lufthansa A330-300 arriving from Frankfurt

Boarding:
      Boarding began at 3:56pm and I was the first one to board the plane, apart from the single wheel-chaired passenger and one VIP passenger sitting in the business class cabin. The plane was pretty full from front to back, and with the earliest arrival time, this flight was popular with passengers connecting to other European and UK domestic cities. The F/As were very enthusiastic today; as I later found out that it was their first flight on the 77W after their training in January. It was their first time in a real 77W cabin.

A few cabin shots – since the F/As did not raise the blinds, some of the pictures did not work out.
      First Class cabin

Comment

Business Class cabin (first mini cabin – row 3 and 4 – I prefer row 4 if you want to have two windows – only one window on Row 3)

First Class seat

New giant personal TV – the screen can be popped out

Small tray for small items

Buttons to push out entertainment screen, pop out the tray table, and an unknown button with the “light bulb” sign

Comment

Side personal lamp and a secret side closet (guess what what?)

Here is where the F/A will pre-place the BOSE headset

Once the BOSE headset is removed – here is the new updated panel for power outlets, USB power port, and headset connector

New seat adjustment panel/console

Comment

Tray table for dining purposes

Tray table for office setting

Breakfast card

First Class amenity – iPad amenity kit and pillow and blanket set

Pre-takeoff beverage – Mimosa in plastic cup

The weather at Dallas today was not great, and it was actually pretty chilly, compared to the better weather the day before. It was also very windy and you can feel the plane swinging a bit throughout boarding. However the operation at DFW seems to be okay and maybe it is still early in the afternoon. Door was closed at 4:32pm, and we pushed back seven minutes later. Everything seemed to be going on fine, but then we stopped of R/W36R. The pilot came on line and told us that they have to take care of few mechanical items but it should not take long. The windy weather had also slowed down traffic, but our flying time was only eight hours and ten minutes, so even with a minor delay, we would land early. We finally received our clearance and took off at 5:11pm.

We first climbed to 33,000feet, and passed Holdenville, Tusla/Broken Arrowhead, Kansas City, Des Moines, Thunder Bay, Canada, and then towards Hudson Bay and James Bay, and then passing the Belcher Islands and Quebec before climbing to 36,000feet, but due to turbulence, we went back to 33,000feet before passing Akapatok Islands, and we climbed back to 36,000feet before passing Greenland and Irminger Sea, and then we climbed to 37,000feet. We finally reached the other side of Atlantic Ocean by passing the Island of Barra in Scotland, and then towards Glasgow, and then we descent back to 35,000feet after passing the city of Workington, and then towards Birmingham, and then Heathrow.

Flight Maps throughout the flight

Seat in preset relax position

Comment

The flight attendants were asked to stay seated a big longer than usual due to a bit of weather in Texas today. Seat belt sign was turned off at 5:29pm after we passed the weather and reached 33,000feet.

Beverage and a bowl of mixed nuts

The new double linen pattern for first class dining

Dining Services
              We are pleased to present an exclusive First Class menu. You may choose any combination of items for your meal to be presented at any time you wish.

Amuse bouche – Smoked turkey with a southwestern style on top of toasted white bread – exclusive first class feature

Starters – first class has a choice – the table is set up individually but to be honest, business class has the same salt & peppershakers and rectangular plates. However first class has its own line of wine glasses and water glasses – especially the purple ones.
              Cured Salmon with Poached Pear and Avocado crème – this is the featured starter for business class; however, it is delicious and I will select this starter again in the future.

Or
              Prosciutto and mozzarella with honeydew melon

Soup
              Caramelized Onion
              With braised leeks and Parmesan cheese
              Basically French Onion soup and only first class passengers have soup service

Comment

Salad
                Seasonal Greens with fresh vegetables, sweet and spicy pecans and blue cheese
                Pepper Cream dressing or Premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
                Instead of served together with starter, first class passengers have a separate salad course served, but the salad is exactly the same with business class.

Assorted Gourmet Breads – Sourdough rolls or biscuit type rolls

Entrées – business class has the exact same four-entrée choices, but the difference is that first class will have the entrées plated individually in the galley, instead of served in a casserole dish, and the pasta dish cannot be customized in business class. However first class passengers got to customize the pasta dish with different sauce and to be topped with grilled shrimps (presume a meat or seafood topping). I really like my customized pasta dish with grilled shrimps and tomato sauce.

Grilled Fillet of Beef
                Accented by roasted shallot butter, vegetable risotto with mushrooms and sautéed spinach
                Or
                Sautéed Chicken
                Accompanied by ratatouille sauce, bacon mashed potatoes and baby vegetables
                Or
                Pan-seared Halibut
                With truffled corn salsa, truffled sweet potato puree, haricots verts, tomato and red onion
                A signature Chef Richard Sandoval item
                Or
                Brie and Leek Ravioli Pasta
                Please customize your pasta entrée from the following options:
                San Marzano tomato or ginger coconut sauce
                Grilled Shrimp
                Broccolini, carrot, zucchini and squash medley
                Fresh grated Parmesan

3Cls, First, US-UK Dinner-Hot Breakfast
                373PM087 5/13 110F017-2B

Dessert Menu (separate)
                Specialty Sundae – first class passengers only
                Coconut sundae with vanilla ice cream, toasted coconut and cocoa dusted almonds

Ben & Jerry Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
                Vanilla Ice Cream with your choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans

Gourmet Cheese Plate
                An assortment of fine cheeses with garnishes

Grand Marnier Fruit Salad with lemon sorbet – first class passengers only

To complement your dessert, we offer a variety of after dinner drinks and dessert wines.
                Bailey’s Irish Cream
                Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac
                DiSaronno Amaretto
                Kahlua

Emilio Lustau Sherry
                Senhora do Convento Vintage Port

UK Eastbound Dessert card
                5/13 110D900-2B

Wine List
                Champagne
                Gosset Grande Reserve
                Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier Grapes

White Wines
                Domaine des Rochers Pouilly-Fuisse
                Chardonnay Grapes

Bertani Sereole Soave
                Garganega Grapes

Red Wine
                Angeline Pinot Noir Reserve
                Pinot Noir Grapes

Hook & Ladder Cabernet Sauvignon
                Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes

The selection of wines is not particular interesting and British Airways definitely has a better selection, and I prefer their wines. There is not even a French red wine featured in the first class wine list.
                I then asked for a turndown service, while I changed into pajama in the bathroom.

The bathroom on American Airlines’ Boeing 777-300ER is finally a proper premium cabin bathroom with a bit more features.

Comment

On my way to my seat, the F/A offered to hang my dress shirt, which was pretty impressive given this is American Airlines.

The turndown service with the mattress pad and full flat position

There were two pillows and two blankets; however the blanket is a bit too short for an average American. Considered I am not too tall, the blanket is still a bit short, and I need the second blanket to cover my feet.

I was able to sleep comfortably for an hour or two, but we hit some really rough turbulence when flew over Greenland, and I was literally jolted awake. The pilot had to make an announcement asking the flight attendants to be seated immediately, and you could hear plates falling. I opened my window and saw a bit of lights – summer is definitely coming, as the sun did not really completely set throughout the night. I also did not get a chance to check out the new bar in the business class cabin because of the turbulence and the overnight nature of the flight.

However, there was a small snack station in first class, which features mini sandwiches and wraps, along with fresh fruits and small cookies.

For the rest of the flight, I turned on my laptop and used the complimentary wifi service provided by American Airlines. I guess they were still testing the system, and the pricing would be $12 for two hours, $17 for four hours, and $19 for the whole flight. I tested the wifi but tracking my own flight on radar24, which was amazing, and was able to tweet, login to facebook, checked email, and the speed was a bit better towards the end of the flight, as more passengers were asleep. The speed was better than expected, but you obviously cannot open various windows, and loading the pictures on flyertalk and airliners.net take time. I did not try youtbue though. For basic email and surfing, the speed is acceptable, but the concern remains, “what will happen when everyone uses the network?” I even used my iPhone to try logging on, and I could whats app my sister in Hong Kong and she was impressed. I was able to use most of my app, and the speed is actually a bit better, and there is really no blind spot on this transatlantic flight. Once again, this system will automatically disengage at 10,000feet and after six minutes of inactivity.

I requested breakfast to be served about an hour prior to arrival and the F/A offered me breakfast, as I went back to the bathroom to change back into my street clothes. I chose the hot breakfast option, as it was an American Classics item, and it is dinnertime in the West Coast.

Breakfast Card
                  Breakfast
                  In order to offer you to sleep as long as possible, please choose one of the featured entrées, along with your choice of sides, breakfast breads, and beverages. We will present your meal all at once, at the time you desire.

Entrées:
                  Scrambled Eggs Served over a buttermilk biscuit with creamy poblano sauce, potatoes au gratin and New Mexico turkey sausage
                  A signature Chef Richard Sandoval item

Or
                  Cereal
                  Organic oat and honey granola cereal
                  Whole Milk
                  Skim Milk

Sides
                  Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Yogurt

Comment

Breakfast Breads
                    Assorted Scones – chocolate chip scone – nicely warmed

Southern-style Biscuit

Cold Beverages
                    Still Water
                    Sparkinling Water
                    Apple Juice
                    Orange Juice
                    Tomato Jucie
                    Cranberry Apple Juice

Hot Beverages
                    Coffee
                    Tea
                    Decaffeninated Coffee

Accompaniments
                    Whole Milk
                    Skim Milk
                    Sugar
                    Sugar Substitute Sweetener

Please serve
                    Two Hours
                    90 Minutes
                    One Hour
                    Prior to arrival

UK Eastbound Hot Breakfast Card
                    5/13
                    11B500-2B

Descent soon began at 6:51am UK time (00:51am DFW time), and the F/A came around with glasses of sparkling water with grapefruit segments, and then a box of Lily O’Brien chocolates.

Over UK

The circling situation was not too bad – pretty ordinary and with our short flying time, it was not a problem. We finally landed on R/W27L at 7:21am and we parked at Gate 40 at 7:27am. Of course, it took a while for the gate bridge to be attached to the plane and I took the opportunity to take a few pictures of the mini business class cabin and grabbed a copy of the menu (for comparison).

Mini Business Class – 4A

Seat 3A – only one window, so I will hesitate to pick this seat in the future.

A final shot of American Airlines Boeing 777-300ER at gate 40

Conclusion:
                    I honestly am very impressed with American Airlines’ Boeing 777-300ER and I am lucky to have a great group of crews, who are still enthusiastic about the cabin and not bothered by the new service. The new seat is definitely the highlight of the aircraft, and both first and business class are very comfortable and definitely put American Airlines head of the game among all American carriers, especially the lackluster United’s Business-First products.

Pros of the new First Class Flagship Suites:
                    1. I really like how American Airlines retains most of the good features of the former flagship suites, including the ability for the seat to swing to an office position with the extended office table. There are three positions – forward for takeoff and landing, side for dining and relaxing, and office position.
                    2. I really like the new updated panel with not only one, but also two universal power outlets, USB port, connector pod to play the video contents from your own apple personal devices, and the headset console port.
                    3. The armrests can be lower on both sides and allow a wider flat seat.

Con of the new First Class Flagship Suites:
                    1. I only have one minor complaint – I really think the suites lack privacy, even in the flat bed position. The mini first class section is a bit cozier than previously and while I am not a big fan for a totally enclosed suite or a fancy door to open or close the suites, and I think there can be a bit more things to enhance the privacy factor.

However, the software can be more problematic for American Airlines. I have noticed that the service in business class takes a bit longer than previously and the benefit for first class passengers maybe a more efficient service. The new dining is better than before, but will American Airlines be able to sustain the high standard and be able to introduce new dishes every year? The former cycle of food is served for almost a decade with little changes, and variety will be the key for a continued success. The lack of differentiation between first and business class is concerning, but since most airlines are heading this track, I doubt AA will do something dramatic.

Thanks for reading the trip report!
                    Carfield

Comment

Thanks for the TR. I did have a skim over the text but not got much time before i go out so didn't read it properly, apologise if you covered this. What do you think about the new livery? Also personally i think the seat would be better in leather.

Comment

Thanks Carfield. Going by seat alone, it seems more than a match for BA New F.

Comment

Just noticed the markers on the floor in the last image. There is a mark for the 787-10. They haven't even launched that!

Comment

Outstanding TR as usual, Carfield!

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                            What do you think about the new livery?
                            I can tell you it is a very hot topic in the USA as the old one was classic, just fine, and MUCH lighter -- saving them fuel. Doug said last month he's not adverse to repainting them AGAIN with an entirely new livery.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                            Thanks Carfield. Going by seat alone, it seems more than a match for BA New F.
                            +1
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Judging from the photos I have seen, BA F is somehow more refined and exclusive in the design. However, this has indeed been a great improvement for AA.

Comment

Working...
                              X