QZ Day Trip, SIN-CGK-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QZ Day Trip, SIN-CGK-SIN

Okay two points first, 1) Credit given where credit due and 2) No photos.

I had to attend a meeting in Jakarta yesterday and decided upon a SGD150 return schedule on AirAsia Indonesia instead of SQ's ~SGD660 or Garuda's SGD350. This was my first trip on AirAsia for more than 7yrs (SGD150 included $3 each way for choosing seats closer to the front plus charges for paying by credit card).

SIN-CGK

Departing SIN on the 08:50 and returning 18:45 would give me all the time I need to finalise everything in Jakarta (and it did). Jet* would have been the same price but I would have to return to SIN either 3pm or near on 11pm instead......no, 3pm was too early and 11pm too late. After LionAir went down a couple of weeks ago, I just felt a change would do me good

I took my free HSBC Infinite Card's taxi to Changi, arriving T1 around 6:45am. Signage was not so good, with a long queue for Bag Drop and no indication on where either Self Check-in or Document Check was. I got my self around it somehow, checking in for both flights at once before heading to Document Check (hand luggage only, of course) then Immigration.

HSBC's Priority Pass lounge access to Skyview Lounge prior to departure for breakfast and a few coffees. Everything went just as smoothly at the gate, so much so that we pushed back 5-min early, landing Jakarta 10-min early. A standard A320 layout with enough space in row 10 for a 5'6" midget like myself, aided by our centre seat being empty.

Grabbing a bus to the terminal building I quickly realise its my very first visit to Jakarta T3 and, again, HSBC's Meet-n-Greet worked a charm in combination with my APEC card. I was standing booking and paying a taxi to the city centre only about 10-min after arriving at the terminal.

----------

CGK- SIN

Arriving T3 around 3:30pm for my 6:45pm flight I had plenty time to kill. Unfortunately those directly in front of me (3-4ppl) at check-in (One Bag only queue) took full advantage of that line but with each bag looking like it had around 25kgs in it. It took easily 15-20min back and forth for them to agree and pay their excess baggage penalty. They surely would have been cheaper taking Garuda.

Anyway I get to the front, settle my IDR150,000 tax and head up stairs. Sadly this is where Priority Pass and HSBC met its match. The Executive Lounge there would allow HSBC card holders to 'Redeem Points' for access, so bugger that and head straight to the café instead, for lunch and a beer.

5:45pm rolls around and QZ open the gate for our flight. Chaos ensues between Immigration and Security with those on my flight thinking they were somehow a) Special and b) Late so forcing themselves to the front. Feck them, I'll take my time and the plane leaves when I'm on board!!!!

Signage, again, very confusing with the QZ flight mentioned above Gate4 but with word coming over the speakers indicating a departure through 'Zone B' where ever then hell that is. Anyway, a little wander round and I find my way over the tarmac to the plane - crosschecking with Cabin Crew it's the right flight, I'm buggered if I don't want to get home tonight for bed.

Somehow, repeat, somehow we end up getting pushed back 5min early again, landing back at Changi almost 15min ahead of schedule. Today's feat is one not matched on any of my SQ return trips to anywhere. Landing just after 9:15pm I'm at home around 10pm despite the PIE being backed up around 5kms from the BKE.

CAVEAT: Waiting for my flight at T3 I see AirAsia's flight to Penang is at 18:45 instead of a scheduled 17:45, and their 17:30 flight to Singapore was still on the tarmac around 18:00.

I was maybe lucky with both my flights but they were on time, clean, comfortable and organised on-board. Check-in at Changi and the whole of Jakarta T3 apart, the rest was very easy. Given the ~SGD400 saving over SQ and in similar circumstances, I wouldn't have a complaint about trying them again. As well as thumbs up to QZ, another goes to HSBC for their Infinite Card which meant that, with both, I spent SGD220 from my front door to the centre of Jakarta and back again, with Changi Lounge Access and Jakarta Meet-n-Greet to boot. A little earlier planning and I probably could have cleared SGD200.

Now everyone can fly

Great, succinct TR. So I take it you value HSBC's Visa Infinite over UOB's PRVImiles and Citibank's PremierMiles/Prestige?

Interestingly, I've just done HSBC, but mainly for the 45k signup bonus / intend to maintain Citi Prestige. Which do you think would work out better or is Meet-N-Greet just more worth it for you...

Comment

I have HSBC accounts, so for me is simply easy. With free transfers to the airport, meet-n-greet in some important locations (CGK/BKK/SHA etc.) and Priority Pass/JetQuay the overall package is quite good. I have good spending locally and overseas so the points on the card now is 'healthy' to say the least.

I spend something like $490 on their annual fee and they give me enough points that I can claim a ticket to HKG, which on SQ is easily S$750 so with all things considered I like it.

I still have a PremierMiles card from CitiBank and used it all the time before the Infinite was in my wallet. The Infinite is superior. I only keep the PremierMiles as I don't pay the annual fee (meaning I don't get my bonus miles) and the points never expire so I can use them when I finally need them.

Comment

Thanks Scooby, am still using the Citi Prestige but stopped spending on PRVI and PremierMiles now

Will consider Air Asia to CGK next time

Comment

Working...
        X