The New Kid On The Block: Malindo Air to KUL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Kid On The Block: Malindo Air to KUL

"Oh no! Not another SilverChris TR!". I promise guys, I'll try to keep it short

As some of you might be aware, a new Malaysian airline had launched its operations recently. Part of Indonesia's Lion group, this new self-proclaimed "Hybird" LCC named Malindo Air (OD) is based in KUL with a fleet of B737-900ERs and is currently serving two East Malaysian destinations, namely Kota Kinabalu (BKI) and Kuching (KCH).

They've been making waves in the Malaysian aviation industry lately, as they were offering ridiculously great fares with the extras you'd expect from a full service carrier such as food, checked baggage, IFE and aerobridge usage. It's kinda like Air Asia prices with MH frills. Oh, and they offer Business Class too, but their prices are still beyond my reach for now .

So, enough of the introduction. I decided to do a day trip to BKI, though the turnaround time was too short to book a round trip ticket, and the morning departure out of KUL was way too early (6:40 am-ish). I then considered spending a night in BKI, then MH launched its own domestic sale (Ah, isn't competition just wonderful?) and decided on departing KUL on a morning MH flight, catching the afternoon OD flight back.

I paid MYR150 for the MH sector and MYR68 for the OD flight, bringing the total cost to MYR218 (~USD70) which could hardly get you a one way non-promo AK flight without any frills.

And so, at 8am on 27 April 2013, there I was in the MH Golden Lounge thanks to my MH status (Which I will dearly miss when it expires in a few months).

It has the typical MH decor, looking tired after years of welcoming Business and Enrich Gold and Platinum guests.

It was the morning rush hour, though there were plenty of seats available.

The breakfast spread was rather generous, with various types of sandwiches, bread, cereals, muffins, fruits and of course, Nasi Lemak.

It has a nice tarmac view, which is always an interesting diversion.

Boarding was called for at 8:30, and I was onboard 9M-MLR in no time. The new B737-800 features the Boeing Sky Interior and AVOD. It's a luck of draw with MH as over a third of the 738s are have the old interior with no IFE (personal screens, at least) and is really no different from an LCC, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Malaysia Airlines MH2608
    Depart: Kuala Lumpur - KUL 0900
    Arrive: Kota Kinabalu T1 - BKI 1235
    Via: Labuan - LBU
    Aircraft: B737-800 9M-MLR

I'd snagged 5F, a bulkhead seat when OLCI opened. The legroom definitely left a lot to be desired. (Just send me the bill at the end of the month, SQFG )

I'm a big fan of this Sky Interior, especially the 777 style overhead bins.

The crew were rather unmotivated this morning, with all the FAs putting on a sour face, save for a junior, May, who could have passed off as a Singapore girl on an unmemorable SQ flight.
    Last edited by SilverChris; 3 May 2013, 10:18 AM.

Breakfast was a choice of chicken noodles or Nasi Lemak. I went with the latter. It really cracked me up watching May explaining what Nasi Lemak was to the British couple beside me. For the record, they didn't like the idea of "coconut in rice"

Cost-cutting, which MH made no attempt to hide, was rather apparent. No appetizer, no real dessert. Heck, fresh fruit was also too much to ask for. And to think of complaining about a certain airline down south removing appetizers on its BKK flights...

AVOD was switched on after the meal service ended. No headphones were provided, though I'd brought my own noise cancelling ones. Friends, Glee and Modern Family were on offer, so I was a happy camper

Unlike the 734s with more seat cover colors than a pack of smarties, uniformity seems to be MH's choice on the 738s.

We made a 40 stop in Labuan, about 100 miles from BKI where most passengers disembarked, so I went around snapping more pictures of the cabin. The IFE was still on, and the crew were fine with me having my headphones on even for takeoff.

Now these are the seats to take. The second EMEX row has excellent legroom and does recline, unlike the row ahead.

An uneventful 20 minutes later, we arrived at BKI where I proceeded through passport control. Yep, passports are stamped even for Malaysians (except for those born in the Sabah state), as part of the agreement when the state joined the then Malaya to form Malaysia. In other words, I was a foreigner in my own country, and could be deported after 90 days

Next up, the Malindo flight back to KUL!

Comment

I WILL be sending you the bill and yes, you're right - I prefer the leased early ML birds for legroom in row 5. The partition doesn't extend all the way to the floor so you are able to put your feet under row 4

I actually don't understand the obsession with BSI and the new birds. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the old leased birds with bigger seats. Forget the IFE and forget BSI - it's hard to enjoy it being so cramped anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the old leased birds with bigger seats. Forget the IFE and forget BSI - it's hard to enjoy it being so cramped anyway.
        I had an older bird for my MH 602 and a new bird with IFE/BSI for my MH 607 (connecting to/from MH 72/73) and I didn't mind the old seats at all (I was in JCL both ways)

For the record I had more teh tarik in one day than I had all of last year!

SilverChris, did they also have Chicken Rendang Minang and Sambal Sotong Kering to go with the nasi lemak in the Golden Lounge J buffet?
        Last edited by B727; 3 May 2013, 09:43 AM. Reason: inverted MH flight number
        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Its still a decent breakfast by world standards on domestic flights
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Note to self: avoid bulkhead seats on new MH 738s. Looking forward to the Malindo segment! Let's see if they can become a serious competitor to AK.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
            Its still a decent breakfast by world standards on domestic flights
            +1
            I can imagine the look of some domestic US flyers if they saw that meal!

Comment

The check in desks for OD1013 opened slightly over 2 hours before STD, with 2 counters for economy and 1 for business.

My request for an EMEX window seat was met with a smile, and I was handed my BP in no time.

I quite like BKI airside. Nevermind it's as interesting as watching the paint dry at the TPR, it's modern(ish) and organized. The wifi was pretty fast, so no complaints from me. Passengers bound for the exotic Layang-Layang Islands were boarding at A9, and I really wished I was among them.

Boarding was at gate A7, where the gate agents were strictly enforcing the boarding sequence.

Malindo Air OD1013
              Depart: Kota Kinabalu T1 - BKI 1610
              Arrive: Kuala Lumpur - KUL 1845
              Aircraft: B737-900ER 9M-LNG

Selamat datang! A cheery FA in a Kebaya greeted passengers at the door, which made for a good impression. Seen here are Business class seats, looking rather similar to MH's 738s. There are three rows of J, which is probably the right size for an airline that aims to capture leisure travellers as its primary clientele.

Behind those curtains, reality awaited me. Does the colour scheme remind you of MH?

I quickly found my seat, 16A, though I realized it was the first row of the EMEX seats which meant no recline. To my surprise, doors were closed only a few minutes later, and I moved to 17A which had both recline and great legroom. The middle seat was empty as well, so there was plenty of space. Well, not that it mattered that much on this short flight but it's welcomed anyway.

The very first SQFG legshot on Malindo. Where's my prize?

Pushback was 5 minutes early with a load of 70%.

Goodbye, BKI!

The highlight of the flight: the IFE. It seemed to be the same touch screen system used as TG and MH.

Last edited by SilverChris; 15 June 2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

2 or 3 rows of J, looks like 3

Comment

It featured a USB socket (for charging mobile devices) and was rather user friendly. There were only 3 movies on offer but I guess it's tad unfair to compare it against EK's ICE. On the bright side, my favorite sitcoms were on offer so I was, in a way, thrilled. Coincidentally, the Friends episode picked up from where I stopped on the MH flight!

No headsets were provided, though any single-jack headset would work (such as your iPhone's). Games were also available (multiplayer ones, too) but it turned out to be more of an annoyance as the kid behind me kept tapping the screen over and over.

About 30 minutes after takeoff, the crew began the "meal" service.

dinner KOTA KINABALU TO KUALA LUMPUR

Drumroll, please......

I know, I should just be glad that I was being fed on an LCC, especially with the price I paid.

Cabin view 34000ft above the South China Sea.

The rest of the flight passed uneventfully, and the IFE was switched off about 10 minutes before landing. Not quite gate-to-gate. But hey, at least mother nature was there to entertain me

Touch down was 5 minutes late (we dodged a few storm clouds) and taxiied to the main terminal of KUL, bringing an end to my journey.

I thanked the crew and made my way to the KLIA Ekspres station, happy to have tried out a new (and attractive) airline. OD has ambitious plans to serve many more destinations around the region and will, without a doubt, give AK and MH a run for their money. As I've mentioned, the service is more akin to MH and the prices in AK's category, though it can be a bit of a challenge to juggle.

Since the demise of Firefly's short lived jet operations in early 2012 (they flew the same routes as OD), there hasn't been that much competition in the Malaysian sky, so I'm glad there's a new player to heat things up a bit. I'm not expecting the same low prices again, but as long as the prices remain reasonable, this customer is here to stay

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    2 or 3 rows of J, looks like 3
                    My bad!

Now where are my glasses...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                      SilverChris, did they also have Chicken Rendang Minang and Sambal Sotong Kering to go with the nasi lemak in the Golden Lounge J buffet?
                      Neither were on offer that morning, I'm afraid Only saw beef rendang to go with the nasi lemak.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        Neither were on offer that morning, I'm afraid Only saw beef rendang to go with the nasi lemak.
                        Is that right? I quite enjoyed my Nasi Lemak with the sambal sotong and chicken rendang pre-MH 72 that morning, washed down with three glasses of Champagne Thierry Grandin

Curious if OD gives lounge access and what do they serve there? I've been to a JT lounge at CGK before during breakfast time and they served this thick coconut milk porridge and another ginger porridge. Sweet but quite yummy
                        Last edited by B727; 4 May 2013, 01:28 PM. Reason: Lion Air two-letter code
                        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post

Now these are the seats to take. The second EMEX row has excellent legroom and does recline, unlike the row ahead.

Hmm, I had these seats on my recent KUL-KTM flight and they did not recline as well! At least the legroom was great...
                          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                            Hmm, I had these seats on my recent KUL-KTM flight and they did not recline as well! At least the legroom was great...
                            Could have sworn they did as I saw when walking to the lav mid flight. Or maybe my eyes were deceiving me

Comment

Normally those seats the flight attendant can unlock the recline function after takeoff I thought

Comment

Working...
                              X