Colourful Kathmandu with MH and a bit of SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colourful Kathmandu with MH and a bit of SQ

Recently, me and my partner went to Kathmandu for a short 4-nights getaway, experiencing a destination different from the norm. Initially I was very hesitant about going to such an under-developed country, but after visiting Nepal, it proved to be one of the most enjoyable places to visit so far, with the exception of the initial culture-shock!

Obtaining reasonably-priced tickets from Singapore to Kathmandu is almost impossible, with Silkair pricing their tickets at more than S$900!! TG was near at $800+ with transit in BKK. Jet Airways was cheapest at S$600+ but the return flight necessitated a 12hrs transit in Delhi, which proved out of the question. Then came Malaysia Airlines and Air Asia X, both which started flights from Kuala Lumpur to Kathmandu from late last year. Air Asia X was selling tickets from as low as S$550 with bags from SIN-KTM via KUL, but no connections is possible and each flight requires individual check-ins. Not too keen in transfering in LCCT and enduring long immigration queues, and the return flight requires a stay in KL as it is too late to catch the last AK flight to SIN. Then Malaysia Airlines sprung with an offer price (via Cheapoair.com) of S$700 all-in, with departure early from SIN, and returning comfortable in the evening. Perfect timings! And the last sector KUL-SIN was on SQ as well as MH also code-shared on the flight. Booked!! Next was the hotel, which was also a headache due to the many choices and locations, and I settled on the new Shambaling Hotel, which is situated in Boudha and away from the touristic area of Thamel, and offered one of the best hotel service and experience I have ever encountered!! On to the trip report.

The first sector, SIN-KUL, departs at the very early hour of 0645am from Changi Terminal 2. Online check-in has been performed on the SIN-KUL sector, but could not be done for the KUL-KTM sector. Not sure of the reason why. No problems as check-in at 0530am was with minimal queues and efficiently done by a seemingly very tired but still with smiles agent, and when requested for emex row on the KUL-KTM sector, was offered readily! Scored!!

My 2 boarding passes for both sectors. The boarding passes looked a tad boring, only in black and white.

Proceeded through immigration and got some light bites for breakfast. Shops were just opening at 6am. Outside on the tarmac, Silkair and Tiger aircrafts were being prepared for their morning departures.

17 January 2013
    Malaysia Airlines
    MH 602
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
    B737-800
    9M-FFD
    Economy Class

Departure was from Gate F52, which is one of the recently re-configured dual aircraft gates. At the gate was parked a Silkair aircraft departing for Surabaya as well as my MH aircraft. However as the MI flight was departing later, processing was only done for the MH flight. Boarding has just started when I reached the gate. Only the Silkair aircraft was visible from the gate while the MH aircraft was parked at an angle away from view. Boarded via bridge F52B (F52A links to the Silkair plane) and only when nearing the aircraft door that I could see that the plane was still in the old MH livery. Not good, means that it must be one of the ex-Firefly planes. No worries as it would only be a short flight, but I would not be too pleased if it was flying the KUL-KTM sector.

2 female crew members were cheerfully welcoming passengers onboard the flight at the door. More crew members were along the aisle welcoming passengers as well and assisting with bags. Total of 5 crew members, 2 in Business Class and 3 in Economy today. Finally reached my seat at row 20. A SQ B772 was parked beside.

Boarding in progress with crew assisting with bags. It turned out to be an almost full flight, mainly with business travellers.

Seat pitch was not that fantastic on this ex-Firefly plane. Probably only an inch better than the budget carriers? Seats also appeared worn out. Not good for a full-service carrier.

Inflight magazine and safety card in the seat pocket.

Pushback was delayed due to late boarding by a family. Doors were finally closed and safety video was played. The new MH safety video, which was introduced recently, was broadcasted on the overhead drop-down LCD screens. Felt that it was also better than the SQ one (which looked like a final-year project video by tertiary institution students).

Click here to watch the new safety video, uploaded by a youtuber.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFpMiTAtz7Y

Pushed back. Looked like Tiger and Silkair are dominating T2 now.

Taxi to Rwy 02C for takeoff. An early HKG-bound CX flight departs.

Takeoff from Rwy 02C bound for KL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1DbOBtgXpI

Sunrise.

After takeoff announcement while climbing to cruising altitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRUe8KNYeU

Service on the short hop started, first with the distribution of peanuts by a stewardess from a basket. Hmm, peanuts so early in the morning.

MH peanuts. Well, better than nothing.

Last edited by ycp81; 27 January 2013, 12:38 AM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

After peanuts were distributed, crew came out with trays of orange juice, apple juice or water, all poured in cups. I had an apple juice. Apparently hot coffee/tea were also available on request as a few passengers requested for them.

Beautiful sunrise.

Pilot's announcement just prior to descent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87orfvoFwnw

We ended up circling for 15min while waiting for landing clearance. Boosted the flight time from 30min to 45min. Crew also cleared all refuse and prepared cabin for landing. Very efficient performance by the MH crew. Guess they are used to these short sectors.

Final after a few turns, we made out final approach into KLIA.

Lower...

Nearly there, overflying plantations.

Landing on Rwy 32L after a 45min flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxCgNiKm4k

KLIA 2 in the distance, due for completion by June this year.

MH land.

Parked at gate.

Economy seats during disembarkation. Sorry for the blurred pictures.

Business Class seats. Looked like Jetstar Business Class seats to me.

My only proper view of 9M-FFD.

A short SIN-KUL sector on MH with the basics. Generally friendly and cheerful crew (surprisingly for such an early flight out) with the standard MH offerings.

My Travel Map

Comment

After disembarkation, we originally only had a short 50min to transfer to our next connection. However when checking the Flight Information Displays, our connecting flight was delayed for 2hrs from 0855hrs to 1100hrs! Approached the transfer desk to enquire regarding the delay and was informed that it was due to the morning fog in Kathmandu which necessitates the closure of the airport. I had read about the infamous Kathmandu fog and thus was not too troubled with the delay. The transfer agent also gave us a breakfast voucher each worth RM13, to be used at any restaurant in the airport.

Went to Old Town White Coffee to grab a hearty Malaysian breakfast!

The cafe had a nice view of the tarmac but unfortunately, there were not many interesting movements other than MHs and more MHs, until I spotted the MH Retro-jet 9M-MXA taxiing in! What luck!

Three different MH liveries can be seen here.

The morning SQ flight has also just arrived.

17 January 2013
      Malaysia Airlines
      MH 170
      Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Kathmandu (KTM)
      B737-800
      9M-MXF
      Economy Class

The next sector, MH170, would be departing from the main terminal building, where the bulk of MH narrow-body flights depart from. I had checked on the previous planes used on this sector and they were a mix of either leased B738 or MH's own B738s with Boeing Sky Interior and AVOD. Thus was keeping my fingers crossed that I would not get the leased planes. Luck on my side, the aircraft assigned to the KTM sector today was 9M-MXF, a new AVOD equipped B738!

The boarding gate was rather crowded, mainly with nepalese worker traffic. Only a few tourist faces. MH musty be really doing very well on this route, especially with such high load factors even for a newly launched flight. Guess it would soon increase to daily if the high load factor continues. Boarding was soon announced, by status followed by row numbers. It was enforced strictly, so much so that it was amusing to see a number of nepalese workers hesitating to board when their rows were called after watching a few turned back when they tried to board during the priority boarding.

Boarding the aircraft.

Was welcomed by the leading crew at door, who started a small conversation, asking if we were going to Kathmandu for holiday. Apparently we and a few others stood out from the mainly workers traffic.

Passed the 16-seater Business Class cabin with blue leather seats.

Into the Economy cabin with seats in pristine condition. It was a drastic difference from the previous sector where the seats were even in worse condition than budget airlines. Blankets, pillows and headphones were pre-set on every seat.

With personal IFE available as well. Now, this is how a 5-stars airline should be!

My seat at the emergency exit row 14A, with tons of legroom! However, do note that even though this is the 2nd emergency exit row, the seat also could not be reclined, similar to Row 12 in front. But I am satisfied with the more than adequate legroom as the normal rows do not seemed to have too much seat pitch (only 30" as written on MH's website). The PTV is touch-screen enabled, with the handset below the screen. There is also a USB port, as well as electrical point in between each pair of seat. Seats are all upholstered in leather and are comfortable.

Similar contents in the seat pocket as on the previous flight. No duty-free purchase available on this flight either.

My Travel Map

Comment

While at the gate.

Boarding in progress. The cabin of this B738 with Boeing Sky Interior really felt more spacious and modern and any other narrow-body aircraft I had flown on. There were 6 crew on this flight, 2 in Business Class and 4 in Economy Class. Guess MH staffed their longer flights with one additional crew.

Very soon. boarding was completed and we started out pushback with safety video shown. Flight time was announced to be 4hrs 15min. No flight map available on the IFE even though there is the option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE67CWgr9so

Taxi to the departure runway, passing a MH B744.

Takeoff from Rwy 32R. Spot the all-white MH A380 in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzkL_KyPSs

Climbing above the clouds.

After takeoff safety and service announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDc9_W1GWE

After seatbelt signs were switched off, I made a visit to the lavatory to check it out. It was modern and rather well stocked with amenities.

Moisturizer and colognes were also available, but no toothbrushes and combs.

Cabin view again. It was an almost full flight!

Very soon after takeoff, crew came down the aisle with trolleys to serve brunch. 3 crew manned 2 trolleys to serve meals, while the 4th crew remained in the galley to replenish meals.

No menus available but 2 choices were on offer today by the crew. Spicy minced chicken with prata or omelette with sausage and hashbrown. We chose one of each. Accompany on the tray were fruits, yoghurt, orange juice, a packet of aftermint and a Mars dessert bar. I also had a tea to go along.

Meal revealed. Metal cutlery were used as well!

Spicy minced chicken with peas and prata. It was a bit hot but good enough.

Omelette with mushrooms, sausage, hashbrown and grilled tomato. The western selection was of both higher quantity and quality. Tasty omelette!

My Travel Map

Comment

Can't wait for the Kathmandu pics.

Comment

Fresh fruits consisting of melons, papayas and a grape, along with yoghurt.

Mars bar and an interesting South Asian aftermint. Overall, the meal was substantial and satisfying, though not gourmet quality.

Cruising.

More drinks were offered during tray collection.

After trays were collected, I settled into the inflight entertainment. Even though this was the latest system on MH, the offerings for english movies were quite lacking. Apparently MH offers a smaller selection of english movies on shorter regional flights of up to 6 hours. The full selection, which would be comparable to other major carriers, would only be available on long-haul flights. This, I find, is rather unacceptable, and affects the consistency of service. Only 2 out of 16 latest release films and 9 out of 44 "favourite" films available on this flight. The rest of the asian films and tv programmes are available though. Games are also not available on B738 aircrafts. And as mentioned, the flight map is just an empty screen. Kind of reduced my choices by quite a bit. Not sure of the logic behind this but I suspect it is due to the cost of film copyrights. I eventually settled for a Japanese comedy for the flight.

Took a short nap halfway through the film as I was pretty tired and even with the upright seat, it was still rather comfortable for napping. Crew came around once or twice during the flight offering water, though they would also respond to call bells immediately.

Nearing Kathmandu, the Himalayas could be seen from the right side of the window. Alas I was on the wrong side, but the F seat were all taken when I checked in. However still managed use my camera's zoom function to grab a shot.

Pliot came on to give some arrival announcements and crew prepared aircraft for landing. Headsets were collected back by the crew, though the IFE was not switched off. We then started our descent into mountainous Nepal.

Turning circles in a valley.

Video of the descent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXFF20V3YY

Final approach was rather interesting as the gears came down very early and descent angle was very steep as we flew across the hills into Kathmandu valley!!

Note the steep angle of the descent.

Landing in Tribhuvan Airport Rwy 02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPW_kVl4Qo

Had a rather long taxi to the parking stand as we need to backtrack along the runway to avoid the QR plane that would be taxiing in the other direction via the single taxiway. Apparently planes at KTM could take off towards either direction of the runway depending on their destination.

TG B772 from BKK. I guess this is the largest scheduled aircraft to land in KTM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Parked at the stand beside Gulf Air A320. No aerobridges at this airport and so would be disembarking via the traditional way!

Waiting for disembarkation.

Down the stairs. 2 flights of stairs ensured a smooth disembarkation.

9M-MXF from the ground.

Tarmac towards the boring-looking terminal building.

Another shot of GF A320.

Under the wings.

China Southern A319 bound for Guangzhou and Qatar A320 taking off. There are up to 4 flights by QR to Doha daily! Surprised that Emirates do not fly here.

Just before boarding the bus with passengers still disembarking.

The bus brought to the arrival building and we were fearing long queues as the TG flight has just landed before us. Surprisingly, yes, there were long queues but only for the local and visitors with visas lane. The queue for visa-on-arrival facilities was almost non-existent! As we had prepared our photo and visa-application forms prior to landing, it was just a payment of USD$25 each at the counter, visa stuck onto passport and we were across within 5 minutes!! Ironically, the queue for locals and travellers with pre-obtained visas were snaking in the immigration hall. Guess now is really not the tourist season.

Off to the carousel belts to pick up luggage, of which there was only 4. Turned out 2 were broken and we were left with 2 usable ones to handle the load of arrival flights. On screen, TG bags were supposed to arrive on Belt 3, but all ended up on belt 2 instead.

And as the baggage belt it not very long, bags can only be loaded onto it after those on the belts had been retrieved, resulting in quite a wait.

It was almost an hour wait for most of the TG bags to clear before MH bags appear on the belt. By then, Silkair has also arrived and using the exact same belt. So now we had bags from 3 flights appearing on one belt. A huge mess!! Welcome to Kathmandu!!!

The flight on MH to KTM is rather comfortable and value-for-money, considering that competing carriers are charging obscene prices. No problems with the service and food was reasonable. Inflight entertainment is not as good as many carriers but with competing carriers on the route not offering IFE as well, guess not much of an issue here.

And so my Kathmandu adventure begins!

My Travel Map

Comment

Shambaling Hotel

Stayed at the new Shambaling Hotel, which was previously a Tibetan guest house. Newly renovated with 30 guest rooms and with great service staff, it is currently ranked No.1 or 2 on Tripadvisor. And rightfully so I feel! Loved the location too, within a Tibetan community and 10min walk to the Boudha Stupa.

The friendly hotel guard dog.

Entrance to hotel

Hotel grounds

Reception

Room

Youtube video ad of the hotel.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVduCIigHSE

My Travel Map

Comment

Boudhanath Stupa

Day 1:

Boudhanath Stupa is just a 10min walking distance from my hotel. The biggest stupa in Nepal and a really interesting area with Tibetan culture to visit. Many nice cafes around the area too with wonderful views of the stupa!

Locals, pilgrims and tourists circling the stupa and turning the prayer wheels.

Prayer wheel

All sorts of incense on sale.

Tibetan-style trinkets

Dinner by the stupa

My Travel Map

Comment

Swayambhu Monkey Temple

Lots of places to visit on Day 2! First up, Swayambhu Monkey Temple.

Monkeys everywhere! But they are rather harmless as long as not disturbed.

Little monks having fun

Lighting butter lamps.

Rather hazy day.

Other than monkeys, lots of dogs too!

My Travel Map

Comment

Durbar Square

Next up, Durbar Square.

Spot the buffalo

School outing

The goat is just like a puppy!

Buffaloes roam free.

My Travel Map

Comment

Indra Chowk shopping street.

Lunch time!

Along Thamel

Patan Durbar Square

Nice dinner!

My Travel Map

Comment

Day 3: Walk through a local neighbourhood uphill to Kopan Monastery, the monastery which inspired the movie "Little Buddha".

Wonderful view of Kathmandu valley from Kopan Monastery!

My Travel Map

Comment

Kopan Monastery

At Kopan Monastery

Words of Dalai Lama

Many little monks

Pagoda of thousand Buddhas

Great views

Turning giant prayer wheel

Don't mess with the cute doggie. It can really bark!

TG B772 preparing to takeoff from Tribhuvan in the distance.

Buffaloes as pets!

Another monastery ahead.

My Travel Map

Comment

Walking back towards Boudha

Nepalese snack

Selling popcorn and nuts.

A small monastery in Boudha.

Boudha again

Giving light offerings

Dinner beside Boudha again