Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 77W affair (SIN-TYO-BKK with SQ and TG J)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 77W affair (SIN-TYO-BKK with SQ and TG J)

It's that time of the year again. I'm overwhelmed with assignments. I start to drool over TRs as I long for a getaway. Somewhere, anywhere, away from home. I've already blown much of my travel budget on the SQ 747 retirement flights. Should I even be thinking of this trip?

I scrutinize the Internet for any travel deals. Then I start to get ambitious. I realized I haven't been on any full service airlines since the farewell trip. My attention shifts to Krisflyer and the award chart. I could afford a one way J award to Korea or Japan. Then, a wonderful new FFP pops up - Lifemiles. The next few days were spent hunting for return availablity on the ANA tool.

The following events happen quickly - the saver award waitlist clears. My LM ticket is promptly issued. A new Japanese visa is added to my passport, without the need for any interviews/interrogations. The hotel reservation is made. 11K becomes wide open.

My itinerary is finalized: SQ638 SIN-NRT on 30 Nov, HND-BKK on 6 Dec (0030 departure, so I leave Tokyo on the 5th). Both flights are scheduled to be operated by the 77W, which feature both airlines' latest cabin products. I know, I know - I'm stupid to expect TG not to disappoint, but I'd rather not worry about that for now. Besides, the J cabin seems to be 40/42, so they can't send a 773 or 772 over as it exceeds the J capacity. Then again, it would be interesting to see how TG surprises me.

Stay tuned as I enjoy days of great food, sights and people. Who knows, all that might just get lost in translation!

Nice intro, mate

Comment

looking forward to it! have a great trip

Comment

30 November 2012
        I arrive in Changi shortly past 8pm, with plenty of time to spare for a 2355 departure. The Business Class check in area is quiet, and a smiling Filipino agent waves me over as I approach the counters.

The check-in process in Changi makes me feel like I'm in Manila, considering the fact that 90% of the agents are Filipino. Not that I'm complaining - they get the job done efficiently and are consistently friendly.

The agent seems to be taking longer than usual, and I start to get worried. "There a problem?"
        "Erm... Are you going to Haneda or Narita, sir?"
        "Narita"
        "Ohhh, I was looking at the Haneda list, sorry."

After that minor hiccup, my visa is quickly verified and I'm on my way. Immigration was quick and friendly (as usual), and I'm in the SKL in no time.

I'm "welcomed" in by a dragon who couldn't have been more unhappy to be alive. After taking a quick peek at my BP, he gestured me to turn left down the hallway, without uttering a single word. I start to regret arriving early. The SKL is even more disappointing than I remember it to be.

It's basically a lounge with the bare minimums, minus any decent views. I decide to join the queue for a shower. While waiting in front of the shower room on the extreme right, I realize the door isn't totally opaque. When the passenger inside started to undress, I (accidentally) saw something I really wish I hadn't.

After a 10 minute shower I head to the dining area, in search of something decent to munch on (after hearing how stingy SQ's sleeper service is).

Low and behold.....here's a pic of pretty much the only edible food on offer

A book to accompany me on my travels - I just wish I realized how dry it was before I bought it. When the writer finds comfort in an "Arrivals" sign, you know you're in for a "deep" read. I'm sure many readers out there appreciate these philosophy books, but not this "shallow" reader.

As the boarding time nears, I happily gather my belongings and head towards A14.

I bid goodbye to my mom (who decided to join me in Japan, but had to fly via PVG due to the lack of award availablity) and make my way towards security.

As usual, it's showing "Last Call" even though boarding hasn't been called. Not sure who they're trying to fool anymore. First timers maybe?

My BP is scanned and I'm handed the immigration and customs forms. Boarding calls were made in both Japanese and English, and I'm invited straight to board.

I'm welcomed onboard by the IFS, and ushered to my seat by a lovely Japanese FSS. When the flight attendants manage to show you to your seat that's only three rows down without looking insincere, you know you're in for a treat.

The pre-departure rituals begin with the drinks, followed by newspapers and hot towels. Menus and headphones were already next to the seat.

I sure hope that our Grand Dame would kindly waive the royalty fees

The captain comes on the "blower" to make his welcome announcement, and expects our flight time to be 6 hours and 10 minutes. To my surprise, he even repeats his announcement in Japanese! I'm not sure if he actually knows the language, or if he's reading from a script. (even if he was, he sure did a good job in sounding like a pro).

Our departure time came and went, and we finally pushed back at 0020. The safety video is played, and I'm sure if Skytrax had an award for the most boring safety video, SQ would bag it hands down. The old one wasn't entertaining either, but the background music was great.

As SQ638 departes around the same time as other flights to destinations such as CDG, AMS, LHR etc, the tarmac was pretty much packed. Interestingly, all the A380s used 02L for takeoff whereas we (along with another 77W and a 333 bound for ICN) taxied towards the more traditional 02C for takeoff.
        Last edited by SilverChris; 3 December 2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Now I know why you wanted to have a mini DO!

SO was in town. All my free time belongs to her.

Comment

We make a powerful takeoff run on 02C, lifting off into the dark and starry sky. The seatbelt signs are switched off, and the service begins.

The First Class curtains are drawn (There's nothing worse than it being done right in front of you), and a lovely FSS (whose name I would have remembered if I'm a better trip reporter, but let's call her A) distributes bottled water and "amenity kits".

One aspect of SQ Business that really disappoints is the absence real amenity kits. It's pretty much a small pouch with socks and eyeshades. I'm not sure when they started doing this, but this is a case of cost-cutting being taken a step too far.

Complaints aside, let's check out the menu

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the menu now offers two choices. In the past it used to be "Shortly after takeoff" OR "2 hours before landing", but now they also state "or both". Have they finally realized that the flight is equidistant to the average trans-Atlantic (where you get 2 meals, AFAIK)? Anyway, it's a good sign.

But my hopes are soon crushed as A comes around to take meal orders.

"Hi, Mr......SilverChris right? Due to the short flight time, we'll only be serving one meal - supper or breakfast. May I know your selection?"

Goodness, they've even trained the FAs to come up with lame excuses?! I can understand that most passengers would prefer to sleep but 6hrs and 10mins isn't "short" by any means.

"Erm, is it possible to have a sandwich or something now and breakfast before landing?"
            "I'll have to check what we have. And may I confirm your BTC Lobster for breakfast?"
            "Yes, thanks"

Lobster really doesn't sound like a breakfast option, but seeing that my neighbors are in no mood for a midnight snack, they'd likely have breakfast, so there might not be any leftovers for me if I have the lobster after takeoff.

Soon, A returns with a tray of focaccia, chips, and vegetables. This unashamedly self-indulgent passenger doesn't object

After my tray is cleared, another FSS, B (It's hard to read name tags in the dark ) offers to make my bed, which I politely decline. I'm just not in the mood to sleep, yet. By now, all my neighbors are snoring away.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post

...The safety video is played, and I'm sure if Skytrax had an award for the most boring safety video, SQ would bag it hands down. The old one wasn't entertaining either, but the background music was great.
              Just another (farcical) award Skytrax needs! Yes, SQ's video boring, but judging from the last few years, I'm sure Air New Zealand would win for both best AND worst videos.

Great TR so far by the way! Enjoy the trip... and hope you don't get TG'ed on the way back!

Comment

I settle in for "Ted", and the crew retreat to the galley where they remained for much of the flight. There's only one passenger in the cabin who refuses to get some shut eye, so I guess there's no need to patrol the cabin.

I struggle to get into a comfortable position, and I notice that the recline controls are somewhat faulty. Pressing the leg rest controls quickly reveals the fact that it doesn't work. The recline controls take twice as long to respond. The Do Not Disturb button is useless. Clearly, 9V-SWA has seen better days (hard to imagine she's already six years old!)

As the movie comes to an end, we're off the coast of Taiwan.

I browse for something else to watch, but nothing catches my eye. And I hate forcing myself to watch a move then say "Why the hell am I watching this". What does this restless passenger do next? Pay the crew a visit in the galley!

All the crew members serving Business were present, enjoying their period of free time before preparing for breakfast. They kindly offer me a drink and were a lovely bunch to chat with. Incidentally, they were all blue kebayas and ties.

I start the conversation by (indirectly) commenting on the lack of proper amenity kits, but it quickly became clear that wasn't a topic they were keen of. The conversation shifts to, well, pretty much everything about Japan - The people, food, weather, KFC in the air, and food (B is a huge sushi fan). Interestingly, the Japanese FSS decides to keep her distance and hangs around the other side by herself.

By now, we've entered Japanese airspace
                Last edited by SilverChris; 4 December 2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Wonderfully detailed TR. Looking forward to the rest

Goodness, they've even trained the FAs to come up with lame excuses?! I can understand that most passengers would prefer to sleep but 6hrs and 10mins isn't "short" by any means.
                  I tend to sleep immediately. Wake up for breakfast.

If I feel peckish, I'll eat beforehand in the lounge.

Do many airlines have 2 meal services on a six hour flight?

I'm ignorant because I only fly SQ

Comment

Nice TR SilverChris Looking forward for next .

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

Do many airlines have 2 meal services on a six hour flight?
                    Yes, I flown in June JCL ANA CGK-NRT-SIN (both midnite flight), we can have supper of Warm Udon with sea weed straight after TO , its real good actually !

Comment

B walks over and hands me a hot towel, and asks "Ready for breakfast, Mr SilverChris?" "Yes, please"

By now, the sun is starting to rise, over the Land of the Rising Sun. Stunning.

She returns with a tray of fresh fruits. The oranges were awfully sweet!

Then, we flew into some rough skies and we encountered some moderate turbulence. The seatbelt sign was illuminated, but no lengthy lectures by the LSS. A does her quick check to see if everyone has their seatbelts fastened, and returns to the galley, without waking anyone up

The service resumes with the BTC Lobster.

Lobster for breakfast? Sounds odd doesn't it? And so was its taste. The rice wasn't cooked enough and the vegetables tasted rather...disgusting, to say the least.

Can't get enough of this view.

My neighbours slowly awaken, and the crew start to get busy serving the other 7 passengers in the mini cabin.

So close, yet so far. I console myself with the fact that 11A/K is almost as good as the F product

The captain announces that we'll be making a slightly early arrival just as we make landfall over Japan.
                      Last edited by SilverChris; 8 December 2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Our final approach takes us over the factories of Narita.

We make a smooth touchdown at 0730, and the pilots slammed on the brakes.

I spot snow on the taxiway! Yes, it was freezing that day. It even snowed later on!

Taxiing into gate 46. Engines off at exactly 0740.

My seat for the past 6.5 hours.

Thanked the crew for a great flight, and made my way towards immigration.

Goodbye, 9V-SWA!

Thoughts: I'm sure most of you all know how nice 11K is, so I won't comment on that. The absence of amenity kits doesn't exactly reflect an airline which prides itself on being the best, and offering one meal for a 6 hour flight isn't doing it any favours either.

But as I spoke to another FA recently, the crew actually support the sleeper service, the reason being too much food being wasted as a majority of passengers sleep right after takeoff. It's a perfectly fair reason, and I personally witnessed that on this flight. I suppose I can't complain much as I did receive two full meals, which I admit, was a bit too much for me to gobble down at such ungodly hours. I suppose a "midnight snack" option + breakfast would be more justifiable, instead of two full meals.

Overall, it was indeed an enjoyable flight, and I'm eager to see how TG fares with similar timings and products.

Comment

Nice report thank you! I hope you reported the faulty seat to the crew so it could be noted and fixed ?

Comment

Interesting TR. Thank you, SilverChris.
                            I sort of understand why FSS A (Japanese) kept herself distance...

very interested in your coming report for the TG flight

Cheers,

Comment

It's a long walk to immigration, but I'm pleasantly surprised to find it rather deserted. With no queues at the foreign passport lanes, I proceed straight to an empty counter, where I'm greeted by a stern looking officer.

"Finger on scanner please", as part of Japan's biometric immigration system - which Malaysia has proudly emulated.

"Press harder". "Rook at camera". "Take off grasses".

The whole process takes less than a minute, a sticker is stuck on the page beside the visa (in place of a stamp), and I'm good to go.

Bags with priority tags were separated from the belt, to make your life that much easier

I then proceed to customs, where a young officer with a face mask waves me over to his lane.

"Why you come to Japan?"
                              "Holiday"
                              "Ah, horiday?"

He takes a look at my customs form, then flips open my passport, probably to check on how often I travel. He notices the visa, which seems to be an automatic green light for me to go.

"Arigato gozaimas", as he points me straight to the exit.

Having completed all formalities, I'm officially in Japan!

I head for the Narita Express (NEX) which goes directly to the major stations in Tokyo, such as Shinjuku, Shinagawa, Tokyo Station etc. I purchase the NEX + Suica package which costs 3500 yen, which includes a one-way NEX ticket and 1500 yen credit in the Suica card (a stored value card similar to Singapore's ezlink). A return package would cost 5500 yen, but my return flight departs from Haneda.

A futuristic looking train pulls in 5 minutes ahead of STD, passengers disembark, and the staff spring into action to quite literally turn around the train, as they spin all seats around to face the direction of travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X