Asiana Airlines SIN-ICN-SIN, GMP-CJU-GMP Economy Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asiana Airlines SIN-ICN-SIN, GMP-CJU-GMP Economy Trip Report

Hope this trip report is useful for those who are intending to travel SIN-ICN with Asiana on Y.

October 23
    OZ 0752
    SIN-ICN (Singapore – Seoul Incheon)
    2359/0720+ (Next Day)
    Airbus A330-300 (HL 7741)
    Seat: 42D

To be honest, Asiana Airlines isn't my desired choice of getting from Singapore to Seoul even though ut might be a 5 star carrier, and I like Korean pop and drama. However, I wanted to go to Jeju and it is cheaper than Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways as I could book the itinerary on one ticket. And it allows to me to accrue mileage to Miles and Bonus. I paid about $1078 for a return trip that includes a domestic flight to Jeju.

However, I must compliment the Singapore ticketing office for helping me with my itinerary. Getting the GMP-CJU connection was a little difficult as the flights were fully booked. But the ticketing office managed to assist me and all other queries. I'm really thankful. So thumbs up to them for being so helpful.

OZ 752 was a full flight. It was originally scheduled to depart at 2240 hours, but there had been a change in flight timings which were made known more than a month before departure.

I settled down into my seat 42D, a row of 3. There was a group of Singapore tourists around me. I don’t really adore the Asiana crew uniforms or interior. Too grey/dull for my liking. The IFE screen isn’t that big either.

Cabin shots
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

IFE Screen
    [IMG][/IMG]

Entertainment options

The movie selection wasn't extensive but I guess it's ample for such a flight. There were six newer Hollywood movie releases and 30 other films selections. (Hollywood + Asian + International) offered on the flight. A different set of movies are shown on SIN-ICN and ICN-SIN sectors.

By the way, there are no Korean subtitles for their Korean entertainment programs. Asiana offers a good selection of Korean programs including popular variety programmes. However, there are no English subtitles for the programmes. If you like K-pop, there's a good selection of new hits to keep you entertained on the flight.

Legroom is pretty standard, though there was a metal fixture due to the seating arrangement which affected the way I could stretch out my legs. So a note of advice, avoid 42D. Avoid the window seats before the entertainment box eats into the legroom. I think the G seats also have entertainment boxes that eat a little into the legroom.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hot towel service after take off (cloth towels).

There are no amenity kits given out. Toothpaste/toothbrush sets and combs are available in the lavatories.

I'm not really impressed by the meals. It’s still better than UA, but definitely much behind TG.

To be honest, given that the flight was rescheduled for 2359, I’m surprised they didn’t change the supper option to breakfast. It is much preferable to do a round of drinks, dim the cabin lights and wake the passengers for breakfast 1.5 to 2 hours before landing. I certainly would have preferred such an option. I prefer to start the day on a half full/full stomach.

Options that night were a beef bibimbap or a black bean chicken with rice and broccoli. Many of the passengers around me didn’t eat beef so the crew thought I was one of them. So they just dumped the chicken option on me instead without asking. They seem hurried to get the service over and done with. I would have gone for the chicken anyway as I didn’t want something spicy just before sleep. But I would have appreciated being given an option.

The taste wise of the main course was okay. The salad was certainly unappetizing. Some beans. Dessert was a fruit cup.

The meal photos

The main course

[IMG][/IMG]

There was no second meal on this flight.

Flight attendants were Koreans and of other various nationalities like Thais. Overall, they were pleasant.

They also made several rounds of drinks on the flight.

October 24
    OZ 8915
    GMP-CJU (Seoul Gimpo – Jeju)
    1015/1120
    Airbus A321-100 (HL 7703)
    Seat: 33C

Luckily I had more than 2 hours to make my connection. Due to my late arrival, I reached Gimpo about 1 hour 20 minutes before my flight. Luckily, check-in wasn’t pretty long, but there was a queue at security screening. Boarding started 15 minutes before departure so I had time to grab a bun from one of the bakeries.

On a side note, you can get from Incheon to Gimpo by train or bus. I think train is the better option though.

A total of four crew members worked the A321-100 aircraft. Drink service offered. No snacks of any kind. At least on a comparable stage length, LH did offer me one small bar of chocolate. But I found OZ's A321-100 very comfortable, even more comfortable than the A330. It may not have personal entertainment, but the seat was well padded and not hard. Seat pitch was good, and much better than those found on LH.

Seat pitch

[IMG][/IMG]

Cabin shot

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway, just to share some tips about Jeju. It's a big island that has no rail options. So if you want to get about the island, I would recommend renting a car or going on group tours. It is difficult to cover the sights on your own. The Jeju New City area is pretty good to live in with many shops and restaurants. The intercity bus terminal is however not located in the new city area though. There is public transport (bus) to the new city and intercity bus terminal from the airport. But if you’re living in the new city, it might be a better idea to take a cab since it’s near to the airport. It costs me about 2800 Korean Won from my hotel in the area to the airport.
    Last edited by zilchster; 2 November 2012, 06:20 PM.

October 26
    OZ 8910
    CJU-GMP (Jeju – Seoul Gimpo)
    1020/1125
    Airbus A321-100 (HL 7594)
    Seat: 10C

Requested for an emergency exit row as I arrived at the airport early and got it. Incoming flight was late as were many other flights from Gimpo due to fog at the airport delaying the flights.

Again a crew of four working on the flight today. Drinks service, no snacks. Crew was apologetic about the delay and apologized several times on the PA about the delay.

Seat was comfortable.

My seat

[IMG][/IMG]

The seats

Good seat pitch

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cabin shot

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For those wanting to get from Gimpo to Myeongdong area, perhaps it’s best to take the train to Seoul Station and transfer to the subway. It isn’t convenient as a lot of walking needs to be done, but it is certainly faster than the bus. It took me 1 hour 20 minutes to get from Gimpo to Myeongdong (Sejong Hotel stop). And I waited about 35-40 minutes to get on the bus. I missed the first one. The next one was full so I couldn’t board. So despite my arrival at Gimpo just after 12, I only reached Myeongdong around 2.20-2.30pm.

But it all worked out well as somehow through a stroke of luck, I managed to get a ticket to watch one of the music programs (Music Bank) that evening at the KBS studio.
    Last edited by zilchster; 31 October 2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

October 29
      OZ 0751
      ICN-SIN (Seoul Incheon – Singapore)
      1620/2145
      Airbus A330-300 (HL 7741)
      Seat: 42J

Arrived at the airport 1 hour 15 minutes before my flight. I lost track of the time due to last minute shopping and the bus journey to the airport took longer than I expected. It takes about 70-80 minutes from Myeongdong to Incheon Airport by bus. I didn't manage to get an emergency exit seat as I was late in checking in.

I found 42J a much more comfortable seat than 42D, perhaps due to the absence of the metal fixture.

Movies selection had been updated for November. Again, nothing much to shout about.

I found the headphones on my seat before take off. However the entertainment system is only turned on after take off. And like SQ, the cabin crew collected the headsets around 30 minutes before landing. And you have to endure a short video about Unicef which Asiana is sponsoring/helping, followed by some travel health tips video.

Meals wise, two options. Drink service with assorted snack mix before meal service. Beef bibimbap or chicken with potatoes.

All I can say, if you are want a much filling option, choose the non bibimbap option. I had a potato salad with raisins, mashed potatoes with chicken and some carrots, a small chocolate cake, a cold bun wrapped in a plastic bag (but thankfully still soft).

Main course

Starter and cake

I don’t have photos of the bibimbap. But the person next had chosen this option so I knew what was offered.

It came with a small packet of kimchi. The ingredients were neatly arranged in a bowl. To be honest, the portion is pretty small (in terms of ingredients). Rice is served separately. Condiments too. You have to mix them yourself. Dessert was a piece of watermelon.

About 1 hour 20 minutes before landing, the crew came round the cabin to serve sandwiches. Well at least OZ trumped SQ on this point. I appreciated the sandwich though it was just a simple vegetarian sandwich. I

Service was ok. At least the crew was smiling and weren’t pulling any sour faces. Again, multi-national crew.

Cabin shots

The seat

Seat pitch

Would I fly Asiana again?

Before this trip, I even considered flying Asiana to New York, but after this, maybe not. Asiana just doesn’t quite cut for me somewhere, somehow. But then again, I’m in Y so I can't expect much. Who knows, the longer flights might be much better. But if the price is right, I would probably fly Asiana for regional flights.
      Last edited by zilchster; 2 November 2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Haha, I was on the same flight Seoul to Singapore as you! Great sunset that arvo!

Comment

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
          Haha, I was on the same flight Seoul to Singapore as you! Great sunset that arvo!
          Cool =)

One a side note, I'm sorry for the atrocious English in this report, especially for the grammatical errors and problems with expression.

I know that the report isn't organised and sounds like a rant/ramble.

I rushed this report in a hurry so I didn't really pay attention to details. My apologies.

I will endeavour to write better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
            Cool =)

One a side note, I'm sorry for the atrocious English in this report, especially for the grammatical errors and problems with expression.

I know that the report isn't organised and sounds like a rant/ramble.

I rushed this report in a hurry so I didn't really pay attention to details. My apologies.

I will endeavour to write better next time.
            Don't know why you're apologising, your report was a great read, and the photos very informative. I found it hard to get some decent Asiana trip reports, until I read yours and realised I was on the same flight haha!

Comment

On the fiirst pic, it looks that no ife on the seat infront
              visit my blog

Comment

Thanks ozdude. One of my friends who read my report said it was full of grammatical errors.

lingua101-->yes, because there was a row of 4 seats, and then it went to a row of 3 seats which explains why one screen is missing on the aircraft.

Comment

i enjoyed reading this trip report, zilchster i agree that the asiana IFE can be improved on. their cabin crew service has its hits and misses too. i was once told off by the in-flight supervisor for snapping photos of the cabin.

the only plus point for me in taking asiana is not having to take the train to the immigration counters.

i took a similar flight in biz class and wrote a tiny trip report on my blog. if anyone would like to see my pics and report, PM me!

Comment

Thank you very much for wonderful & very useful TR, zilchster. Pardon me for not being in a timely manner, though.

I have been interested in OZ, but not quite convinced as they send the most inferior product to holiday destination - down under.

Your TR gave a very clear idea.
                    Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X