Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN Brussels Airlines Transatlantic BRU-JFK in Business

Brussels Airlines Transatlantic business class trip report

Just a really short report, as there has been reports on SN new business class service to JFK posted here. I wanted to do a short trip report, as this was my last redemption with bmi and I used the miles to try out an airline that I have wanted to fly for a long time. I have always liked Brussels Airlines’ intra-European flight in business class and have always wanted to see how this extends to its long haul flight network. Of course I can’t expect Asian Airlines’ style of service but hopefully it will be a bit better than the North American Airlines and on par with most European airlines.

Flight information:
    October 4, 2012
    LH/CL 1006 FRA-BRU Lv0750 Arr0845 EMB-190-100LR D-AECC “Lutherstadt Eisleben”
    Connect to
    SN 501 BRU-JFK Lv1020 Arr1235 Airbus A330-300 OO-SFV

After spending a day at Frankfurt Airport including an afternoon of airport tour and observation deck, I have decided to use Lufthansa’s “Night before” check-in service, and the agent had no issues to check my bags all the way to JFK and issued both boarding passes for the Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines flights. Sorry there were no pictures of Frankfurt Main airport, as I am sure we have seen enough pictures of it.

I headed over to FRA around 6:30am and the security line was very long, and there was no priority lane, and not all lanes were opened. Things were very slow, but I had sufficient time. As expected, our EMB-190 used a bus gate, A23 this morning. I did not bother with the Lufthansa’s business class lounge, as I knew I would get a small meal on the short flight. There were complimentary newspapers at all LH gates anyway. Boarding supposed to start at 7:20am, but the agent announced there was a slight delay. Finally boarding began at 7:38am and as typically in FRA, they would not depart until all passengers boarded the crowded bus.

D-AECC at position V176

As usual, I waited till last minutes to board the plane, as I knew that no one would bother me with taking pictures of the planes. The flight was pretty busy (given there was an earlier A320 flight at departed at 7am), and half of them were business class fliers. The friendly F/A was handling out Milka Milk chocolate bars in the entrance.

I really like how Lufthansa handled business class on regional jets. They always blocked the seat next to you, so each business class passenger got a pair of seats to yourself, and these Embraer EMB-170/190s are very comfortable. Here are the new Lufthansa slim line seat and tray that occupied the empty neighboring seat.

Our flight was slightly delayed as one of the F/As was stuck on a delayed incoming flight, but door was closed at 8am. Given how close our remote position is closed to R/W18, taxi time was short, and we took off at 8:10am and flying time was forty-two minutes with a cruising attitude of 22,000feet.

Given our short flying time, the meal service commenced six minutes after takeoff, and today’s selection included an entrée of granola with dried fruits and nuts, accompanied by a bottle of TURM milk, a multi-grain roll, and a deli platter with cheese and turkey. It was a very nice continental breakfast and I was impressed.

Beverage trolley followed and I noted the plastic and paper cups were used in business class.

It was a rainy day in both cities and was cloudy all the way to Brussels. Seat belt sign remained on for the whole flight, and descent began at 8:29am, and we landed on R/W25L at 8:52am and parked at gate A47 five minutes later. We all definitely appreciated being given a real gate, instead of the remote gates commonly used by regional jets.

Brussels Airlines’ international flights occupies the gate towards the end of Pier A, instead of Pier B like other airlines, and that area is known as Zone “T.” After going through a passport checkpoint, I immediately spotted our gate, T61 today, and plane, OO-SFV.

Gate T61

OO-SFV at BRU

With ample time, I decided to check out the international business class lounge towards the end of the pier, and since it was raining outside, the pictures did not come out fine. I appreciated the modern design, but the food selection is a bit lacking with only assorted breads, fruits, sandwiches, cheese cubes, meat platter, and other cold food. Wifi is available and please ask for a password with the receptionist. There are computers available as well. However the lounge could be busy as SN seemed to time their African and American flights in the midmorning hours.

Comment

Comment

Boarding began early at 9:30am and the flight was pretty busy in economy class, but business class had only sixteen passengers this afternoon. The new business class cabin looked very smart and I like the use of blue color upholstery.

Best seat in the house – 1K

Newspapers

Comment

After everyone was settled down, the friendly F/As immediately offered a choice of pre-takeoff beverages and my choice was orange juice. Other choices were champagne and water!

Then they came around with noise-canceling headsets and amenity kit:

Door was closed at 10:19am and we pushed back five minutes later. We took off from R/W25R at 10:36am for a short seven hours and forty-one minutes flight to New York JFK. Here is our flight route: De Haan-Chelmsford-380-Leicester-Loughborough-Stockport-Widnes-Liverpool-Dorgheda-Old Castle-Castlebar-Mallaranny-400-Gambo Brook-New Waterford-Plymouth-Warwick-New London-Coram-JFK

Seat belt sign was turned off at 10:44am and F/As immediately got ready for the beverage and lunch service. Printed menus were first pass out, and then beverage trolley was rolled out at 11:05am. Like most European airlines, trolleys are used all for meals and beverage services, which I was fine with it, and let’s be honest. It is more efficient and I don’t think the service is any less.

Wine list:
          Featured Selection
          Champagne
          Laurent Perrier Brut

Special Offer
          Genoels-Elderen Chardonnay 2010

White Wines
          Chablis Domaine Fevre 2010
          Clay Station Viognier 2011

Red Wines
          Chateau Poujeaux 2007, Moulis
          Salentein Malbec 2010

Monthly Cocktail by Caipi One
          Mojito

Beverage and canapé service:
          I choose the special cocktail – Mojito this afternoon.

Lunch service quickly followed and I like how the F/As really paced the service without feeling rushed like other airlines. They gave you time to enjoy the meals and there were sufficient refills of beverages throughout the lunch service and the breadbasket made frequent rounds. The only strange thing is there is no separate linen to cover the tray table.

Lunch

Starter
          Scallops served on a bed of crisp vegetables

Or
          Mediterranean mezze plate

(Mixed green salad – not listed on menu)

Comment

Main Courses
            Indian-style veal accompanied by basmati rice with peas
            Or
            Roasted fillet of cod offered with curried leeks, shrimp and new potatoes

Or
            Ravioli with sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese

Cheese
            Chimay Beer, Saint Bernardus and Damse Mokke

A selection of warm bread rolls is served throughout the meal

Dessert
            St Honore Pastry

Coffee or tea

Fresh fruit is available at any time after your meal
            I did not snap a picture, as the cabin light was turned off after lunch. Today’s fruit selection includes red & green apples, oranges, regular & white grapes, and there is a box of Neuhau’s chocolates out too.

During the Movie
            We are pleased to serve Magnum Temptation Fruit ice cream
            I was asleep and missed this service.

Comment

Seat

Seat in lounge position

Comment

Seat in full flat position

Note the very little foot space with the solo seats

The seats actually looked very nice and were very comfortable in various lounging positions. I love the large amount of storage spaces, as well as flat surfaces. However there is one major issue with the solo seats, as your foot spaces were severely reduced to that small hole I photographed above. After being placed in a lie flat position, I can’t slide my legs into that space, so it was very uncomfortable. But if you note in the pictures above, the seats in pair positions have much larger leg space. So for solo travelers, the direct aisle access is nice, but lie flat positions will not be comfortable unless you are in 1A and 1K. I preferred Delta’s lie-flat seats on the 767s. But given how short transatlantic flights are, I don’t mind these seats.

Lavatory

Comment

Personal TV

One of the highlights is the newly improved personal television system but Brussels Airlines does not turn on the system till after takeoff. And I have a major complain regarding the nonstop announcements during the pre-takeoff and periods after descent had begun. They played every announcement three times (English, French, and German), and they should really consolidate the announcement like the transit information and US immigration procedures into one announcement, instead of separate ones. The amounts of programs are only sufficient, and I felt that they could do more. The new 3D travel map is very nice but a bit over done, as it was difficult to jog down the information.

There was a hot snack service served an hour and thirty minutes prior to arrival. It was a simple hot meal with a hot entrée (no choice) and a small fruit salad (Orange segments and grapes).
                  Hot Snack
                  Asian noodles with sliced breast of chicken, braised Asian vegetables and sweet chili sauce

BRU-JFK 220C001-1

After the light meal service, the F/As passed out boxes of Neuhaus’ chocolates to each business class passengers, which I definitely appreciate!

Flight attendants on Brussels Airlines are generally nice, but no passengers were addressed by their last names. However they were friendly and some of the passengers were pretty demanding with beverages throughout the flight. They were pretty patient. My request for another copy of the menu was honored with no issues. They are on par with their Star Alliance partners, Swiss and Austrian Airlines, and I felt that they were a bit friendlier than Lufthansa. Anyway they are on par with other European airlines.

Descent began at 11:44am New York local time and we landed on R/W31R at 12:17pm, and parked at gate 9B, which was a towing gate, at 12:27pm. The immigration hall was already busy with them still clearing the earlier JAL flights from Narita and Aeroflot Airbus A330, but at least we arrived prior to the Lufthansa A380-800. It is clear that the immigration and custom facilities at Terminal One were definitely too small to handle all these international flights, especially all these A380 flights. Thanks to Global Entry! It took me literally a minute to go through immigration, but I have to wait for luggage today. Given how small the terminal is, it is mind boggling that it took them more than 30 minutes to deliver the first bag. Remember our docking time was 12:27pm and the first bag did not arrive till 1:03pm. The SN agents at JFK were surprised with the slow delivery of the bags.

In conclusion, I will definitely fly SN Brussels Airlines in the future given their business class fares are pretty reasonable. Brussels airport is not a fancy one, but transit through BRU is easy enough. However the baggage delivery time was too long in JFK.

Thanks,
                  Carfield

Comment

Working...
                  X