Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip on Singapore Airlines: Flying SQ 77W the second time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip on Singapore Airlines: Flying SQ 77W the second time.

Will probably post a trip report this time, not like last time since there were family issues and had to go on an emergency trip....This time I will be flying on Friday early morning on SQ1 at 1:20am SFO-SIN via HKG on the 77W. After that, I will be flying on SQ408 onward to DEL (another 777, but I think its a 772 or 773). Coming back will be TRV-SFO, TRV-SIN will be MI497 on an A320 aircraft by Silk Air, and coming back to SFO on this route SIN-SFO will be via ICN, with SQ16 with 77W aircraft. I will be coming back on the 24th of August. Chances are, we might change to SQ2 at Changi depending upon how the fees are like for changing flight.

How are the regional 777s in SQ's fleet like now? Newer seats, or older purple, and blueish seats?

NOTE: I will post trip report on SQ flights only, MI flight is not worth it since I will be asleep most of the time and its only night all the way.

If I've not mistaken, SQ sends the refurbished 772s and 773s to DEL. Both have the latest regional J seats and "new" Y seats, which are actually the old purple/blue seats but with new seat covers and updated IFE.

IMO these seats are more comfortable than the actual new ones on the 77W, 333 and 380 as they're considerably thicker.

Comment

So how will the maps be like? Anyone wanna post/link a few pics to it?

And seriously, if I want to change my return flight to SQ2 from SQ16, will I be charged a fee at the airport front desk to change the flight? My dad and I might spend a bit more time in SIN and head back on the 5:50pm flight on the way home depending on fees.

Comment

Yeah, SQ408 is scheduled to be the refurbed 73A craft. More often than not it's the same plane that just came in from MEL on SQ238.

Records show it can be substituted quite a bit with the non-refurb 772 (the remaining planes from SQA-SQH). Seems DEL has been getting pretty poor treatment lately.

Comment

Just did an online check in for my flight. Sadly, on SQ001 SFO-HKG-SIN, me and my parents are in separate seats. I am sitting on row 32K on this flight on 777-300ER. On the Delhi flight sector, I am sitting on row 35A on the 777-300 aircraft.

I just wonder how noisy the GE90 115B engines will sound like from that seat. I am looking forward to watching "The Avengers" on KrisWorld from SFO-HKG.

Comment

Got off two flights yesterday. SQ1 and SQ408

SQ1: Excellent flight and service on the Boeing 777-300ER. Loud engine noise while boarding from aerobridge and entering aircraft and also when sitting on the seat near the wing (On Emirates, when you board, there's absolutely no loud grinding noise, and sitting near the wing, there's no loud noise at all, the noise is just the same as sitting on the back of the aircraft on EK, not SQ). This was once again my second time on the SQ 77W.

SQ001 SFO-HKG: Long flight, but enjoyed my veg-lacto-ovo meal dinner and touchdown breakfast. Sleeping wasn't a problem at all. I did watch the movie Avengers, despite not seeing it with any friends. As always, SQ cabin crew were really nice and accommodating to every needs. My parents didn't enjoy the meals that much and are thinking of switching to the meal I'm in. I thank Singapore Airlines for providing it this month. Despite lot of turbulence, it was smooth, didn't bother me much, even though my seat was reclined. Excellent KrisWorld on the 77W. While landing, announcements went back to the old style (used to be "You're required to remain in your seat with your seat belt fastened" to "Please remain seated until the seatbelt sign is turned off"). Captain was very helpful with his announcements from SFO-SIN. Same captain. Landing was very smooth as well as take off on the flight. Also saw the CX 77W which had come in from SFO around the same time as well at a different gate after clearing security.

SQ001 HKG-SIN: Landed around 5:45am. 2 hour transit layover, and reboarding at 7:20am for the 8am flight. Take off and landing were smooth on this flight. Didn't watch any movies or sleep since the flight was only 3 hours and 15 minutes. Captain did his best to keep everything smooth on the 777-300ER. Landed at Changi around 11:15am. Had a layover til next flight to DEL was at 7:05pm and stayed at Transit hotel at T3. Excellent, and better than T1 and T2 combined.

SQ408 SIN-DEL: To the poster that told me my aircraft might be swapped to the older 777-200 (9V-SQA to SQH) was actually wrong. I got a Boeing 777-300 aircraft (9V-SYF), and it's been around 6 years since I've been on a regional 777. Aircraft was quieter than the 77W. No loud startup or take off, due to the Rolls Royce RB211 engines. Touched down in Delhi at around 9:30pm (scheduled time is 10:10pm). Newer refurb seats (same colors as the 77W), but old KrisWorld I missed so much.

One more question.....You know the other older maps the 744 used to have (Distance to Destination City, Time to Destination City, Local Time at Departure City, etc), do they have any of these maps on the regional 777s?

And also, while coming back, TRV flight is for sure, but don't think its worth taking 777 pics since Silk Air is not very interesting nor has any PTVs. Will try to also switch flight from SQ16 via ICN to SQ2 via HKG if possible.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your flight.

2 things though...
              Engines don't start till after push-back not during boarding.
              777s use Trent 800 series not 211s.

Comment

Yeah, that's not what I meant though. I mean when you board the aircraft and pass by business class, you hear the loud grinding engine noise. On Emirates 77W, you don't hear a thing until after pushback. However, when the engines on this aircraft start up after boarding, that's when you're sitting in the wing, you hear lots of grinding noise, whereas on EK 77Ws you don't.

Took pics of the meals too and will post later possibly.

And yes, the 773 has those RRT engines, and of course it's obviously quieter. The wing is not as sharp as the 77W's wing, which has somewhat bigger wingflex. And honestly take off and landing on the 773 is much rougher than that of the 77W, which is smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  Yeah, that's not what I meant though. I mean when you board the aircraft and pass by business class, you hear the loud grinding engine noise.
                  Huh?

And honestly take off and landing on the 773 is much rougher than that of the 77W, which is smooth.
                  Rubbish.

I'm beginning to doubt whether you actually flew anywhere...

Comment

Yeah, that's not what I meant though. I mean when you board the aircraft and pass by business class, you hear the loud grinding engine noise. On Emirates 77W, you don't hear a thing until after pushback. However, when the engines on this aircraft start up after boarding, that's when you're sitting in the wing, you hear lots of grinding noise, whereas on EK 77Ws you don't.

Comment

Rubbish or not, do expect pictures soon.

Comment

Got off SQ16 yesterday after MI497 from TRV. Airport took a while to check my dad in, but apparently, looks like I can make a oral report on it.

Pictures will be posted sometime soon when my jetlag is recovered.

MI497: Was on an A319 aircraft. Upon entering it, new seats, but no PTVs sadly. If only SQ would send their own aircraft to TRV (A330, 777). After take off, there was one meal service provided...meals consisted of rice, paneer tikka, and daal curry. Food was alright, I can say. Though I've flown this route back mostly with SQ, I sometimes wish I could go from a different destination. But it's all good though. However, in this trip report, I did not take any pictures.

Oh, and btw, upon entering, there was an unruly passenger complaining about her lugguage that would have to be checked in and that she'd have to pay for it. She did pay in for the check-in lugguage but did not want to pay for the cargo, and complaning about how the SilkAir service was so ridiculous. That pax sat right behind me. Ugh! People these days.

On SQ16, we saw a family friend of our's on this flight. However, we were not all in the same row. Sadly, my dad was on another row in another section of economy class, while I was near the last row.

SQ16 (SIN-ICN sector): Had 9V-SWQ, a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. As boarding from Terminal 3, before the announcements had come, I had realized that they have changed the airport chime sound compared to the last time I boarded from T3 for SFO. In this case, my plane departed gate A14. During boarding, we went through the same grinding noise while passing J class. Upon entering Y class, we did experience some crowding. Took a while for people to put their bags on. Take off queue was so long, we only took off around 9:55am. Knowing we should've been north, it took us about 45 minutes to cruise up north, and we ended up going in circles due to the airspace traffic. However, on this flight, our ETA got changed from 4:55pm (arrival at ICN) to 5:05pm. One meal was given only in the middle of the flight. Meals had turned out to be great. However, when ice cream was given, I was not given it since I had a veg-ovo-lacto meal. Really? I got ice cream when I flew SQ from SFO-SIN and SIN-DEL. However, when I did approach the SQ F/As, they were able to give me ice cream. The crew were okay though this sector. Afterwards, I did sit back to enjoy the KW, and watched a few movies along with it. Upon arrival into ICN, it was rainy, but also we had to make a few go arounds in circles due to traffic upon the runway and gates. Upon arriving into ICN, it was around 5:30pm local time. Knowing we should have departed for SFO at 5:50pm local time, there was an ETD for 6:25pm for SFO.

In ICN, we were asked to deplane with all hand lugguage and go through security.

SQ16 (ICN-SFO sector): We boarded around 6:15pm. We only ended up pushing back around 6:30pm local time. Pilots did apologize for the delay. The flight time was 10.5 hours, knowing we'd reach around 1:05pm, later it got changed to 1:25pm. It was raining though at ICN. Crew were much better on this sector though. After take off, we did head into the sunset and becoming dark. Meal service was there til around 5am SF time. Meals were good during this timing. I can't believe I had 3 coffees during this flight. When ice cream was being served, the crew did a great job of giving it to everyone including me. Thanks so much! After that, we were asked to close our windowshades as we were eventually going to head into daylight mode. I got 3-4 hours of sleep. Once we reached daylight mode, the breakfast service had started. Overall, breakfast was also good among with OJ they gave despite me not asking. Afterwards, the captain made his announcement upon our descent to SFO with clear skies. Upon arriving in SFO, there was another aircraft landing, so we had to take off and go around again before arriving into SFO. Upon landing, it was around 1:45pm. Late, but at least it's better than evening on SQ2.

Overall, had a great experience again on SQ and flying SQ's 77W the second time (Third time on a 77W, but one with another airline).

Once again, pics will be posted when I don't have jetlag.

Comment

SQ001 (SFO-HKG sector) :

SQ1. Really quiet at night.

SQ Boeing 777-300ER 9V-SWA taking us for HKG and SIN

GE90 115B engines at night

SQ1 signs in SFO. Good thing they switched to HD signs a few years back

Map of the SF Bay Area prior to our departure from SFO

Prior to opening my veg-ovo-lacto meal with the roll on top

Meal opened but already ate the roll ! Great meal to start the flight

First KW Screen cap in Chinese having done about 2 hours of the flight

Photo of our progress and daylight path. This flight was night time all the way

English screen cap of KW

Chinese information of the aircraft routing (includes speed, temperature, etc)

Information in English of the above

Last edited by SQfanatic; 26 August 2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

How about starting a TR instead?

Comment

Chinese characters of cities upon leaving the States for HKG

Flight information in English. Taken around 2 hours into the flight

Close to Japan, but encountering chunks of turbulence

Japan Cities in Chinese

SQ cabin during breakfast service onward to HKG

Breakfast prior to touchdown in HKG

Meal taken prior to descent in HKG

Crossing over TPE prior to reaching HKG

Comment

Working...
                              X