trip to Stonehenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trip to Stonehenge

I am stuck in Southampton due to some schedule changes and the good thing I had a day or two free. So decided that I should do some sightseeing. I know that the Stonehenge is quite near here, asked the hotel reception and was told to take a train to Salisbury and from there, there should be tours going to the ancient monument……… so I just did that…..

Arrived at Salisbury station after a 30 minutes train ride from Southampton Central and out I went and saw this…

Paid for the tour, cost 20 pounds and hopped on, the tour starts on the hour, every hour. The cost includes a small tour around the city of Salisbury, which is a medieval English town, admission charges to the Stonehenge and Old Sarum, which is a castle ruins....

Not many people on the upper deck of the double decker bus, best view is from the back window as told by the driver.

After about 30 minutes, with a drive around the town, the Stonehenge is in sight….

Welcome to Stonehenge……
    Last edited by kapitan; 19 July 2012, 04:42 AM.
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

The following pictures are view of this ancient monument, which is reputed to be 5000 years old….. has always been wondering how these were built in those days, must be labour intensive…. And the stones are said to be imported from Cardiff…….

Comment

You cannot walk into the structure, only around it and no words can describe the magnificent view…. For the longest time, I had wanted to see this…..

Comment

This is an artist impression of how the complete Stonehenge would look like….

For those who decide to go on their won, here are the charges for entry… which include an audio device which you can listen to a running commentary of the monument as you walk along.... and for those who do not want to pay to enter, you can actually view the monument from outside the fence, but it is only from one angle, ……

One last look at the Stonehenge from the bus…..

Comment

Nice! If you have time, try visiting Bath or Salisbury.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Nice! If you have time, try visiting Bath or Salisbury.
            Visited Salisbury when was going to Stonehenge, saw the Cathedral and the Magna Carte..... Bath, will wait next time I am in Bristol... thanks for the tip.

Comment

Stonehenge is amazing. Would also recommend the lake district for something different if you have a couple of days to spare.

Comment

Nice pictures! You could actually go inside and walk around the stones if you signed up for a private tour. I did that when I was in London in 2010. Though you are not supposed to touch the stones, i did anyway!

Comment

very nice scenery pictures , Thanks

Comment

It's not as old as they say it is

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                      It's not as old as they say it is
                      Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Visiting Stonehenge inspired me to do a Stonehenge scape for my fish tank....

tank is still dry as I need to have the plants rooted before adding in water... once the tank mature, will show more pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                          tank is still dry as I need to have the plants rooted before adding in water... once the tank mature, will show more pictures...
                          Hahaha! Long time ago I used to cart very nice stones back from NZ's fiords to decorate my fish tank. Had to come up with long story to the NZ's airport security. Gave up on rearing fish, couldn't keep up with the weekly cleaning.

Look forward to your completed tank, should look very nice. What fish do you keep?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            Hahaha! Long time ago I used to cart very nice stones back from NZ's fiords to decorate my fish tank. Had to come up with long story to the NZ's airport security. Gave up on rearing fish, couldn't keep up with the weekly cleaning.

Look forward to your completed tank, should look very nice. What fish do you keep?
                            fish will not be important to the tank, its the plants that will be the talking point... will probably have a school of neon tetras to eat away mosquitoe larvae if those appear...

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post

How is your water tank is going now?

Comment

Working...
                              X