SIN-LAX ULH with SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-LAX ULH with SQ

For the past 4 years, I've been travelling between Singapore and Pittsburgh 3-4 times a year and have accumulated a substantial amount of miles. I've flown in C many times (mostly in UA or ANA) but have never flown in SQ's non-regional business. When I got a job offer in the states and had to travel back there in February this year, I knew I had to finally try SQ's long haul business! Also, I wanted to spend the rest of my remaining BMI miles before they were taken over by BA.

With plenty of luck, BMI ran a promotion for buying miles either late last year or early this year (I can't recall) and I bought enough miles so that I could make a SIN-SEA 1-way redemption using Miles+Cash. Taxes and YQ came up to $213.70 GBP which was pretty reasonable. All in all, I spent lesser than $1000 SGD on the ticket including the cash required to buy the miles as well as pay for the taxes and YQ.

After spending a memorable 2 months back home, it was time to leave. I had initially wanted to enter the secure area early and enjoy the lounge but a whole bunch of my friends showed up leading to a teary goodbye... and I only entered the secure area when the flight was showing 'Last Call'.. I bid farewall to my GF and friends and promised that I would be back in December. (Nobody knew I would actually be back in end March to propose to my GF on her birthday But that's another TR for another time..)

Enough of the back-story, here are the juicy details!

Today's flight would be operated by 9V-SGA, delivered on the 31st of December, 2003.

Some champagne?

My favourite magazine.

Pretty empty flight today.

Shortly after takeoff

14 hours left. Seems pretty short compared to the SIN-EWR flight!

Our origin and destination

Satay for a start. To be honest, I thought these were the best satays i've ever eaten. I'm not really a satay lover so I've not hunted for the best satays in Singapore.. but these were pretty damn good!

Guess what movie is this?

A refreshing shrimp starter.

Some garlic bread

Char-siew rice. Something local before when I still have the opportunity..

Desert. Some sort of ice-cream cake?

I fell asleep shortly after meal service and woke up somewhere here. Still about 8 hour to go!

Time for a midnight snack

Ahh, very nice. Loved the dumplings - very succulent.

A glass of "Apple Bliss" to finish it off

The sun began to rise..

Comment

I spent most of my time looking out of the window.. thinking about my family and loved ones and soon, it was time for the next meal service. Damn! I'm still full from the previous one.. but who would refuse?

Can't remember what this is..

Some thai chicken rice

Getting near!

Californian coast.

Turning final

Touchdown. I'm amazed how many qantas jumbos there are at LAX at one time!

Comment

So there ya go, my first long-haul SQ experience in business and it was great. For a Singaporean who has been away for so long.. it really wasn't about the service or hardware that made the flight awesome.. it was feeling right like home in the aircraft even though you might be thousands of miles away.. and this is, I suspect, something that I might start paying a premium for..

Comment

Originally posted by jyflyer View Post

Touchdown. I'm amazed how many qantas jumbos there are at LAX at one time!
          For a moment, I thought you landed in SYD instead! Those 2 in the foreground are 380s, no less; one from SYD and the other from MEL I would guess. Of course we all know why QF has been trying so hard to keep competition out of the SYD/MEL-LAX route (4 same plane services a day - one 747 and one 380 from each of the Oz airports). Kah-ching!

Nice TR, btw, jyfler!! Glad you enjoyed it!

Comment

Nice report! thanks for sharing

Comment

Those are some big pictures.

Very nice report.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Some beautiful views there. Thanks for sharing!
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Working...
                X