No announcement yet.

The B747 farewell flights: SQ747 & SQ748 06 April 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doors closed on time, and I was pleasantly surprised to find 43B empty. Based on the seatmap and EF, I can conclude that it had been that way since SQ748 came into existence.

My neighbour, Mr 43C was a friendly mainland-Chinese gentlemen who was traveling to SIN to attend a wedding. We had a good chat about the 747 and I learned that he was completely unaware of this event when he booked his ticket. (And there's me, who had to make endless phone calls to the SQ office to get a secured seat). I have to admit, I was afraid I'd get one of those "clueless" passengers who choose to ignore the celebrations, as described in Nick C's report

Sorry, was a bit shy to take an SQFG legroom shot™.. What a waste of the waived royalty fees

Next to another 747

We taxied past a new breed of jumbos. There's another SQ B747 in between.

Reminded of home..

Comment

Another SQ B747!

No, it's not SQ856 getting TG'ed (Or should I say, MEL'ed? ). It's a cargo 747. Still though, it would be interesting to hear the ATC conversation

Lined up and ready to go

At this point, the prospect of waking up at 4am (and only mug of coffee so far) finally caught up with me. I nearly dozed off a few times, and I kept reminding myself that I had to take the following video

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
      No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
      I AGREE

Back in the gloomy skies over the fragrant harbour

Cabin view after takeoff

Menus handed out

I'll scan this menu, along with the earlier SQ747 one sometime this weekend.

Champagne for this special occasion

The events onboard were basically a repeat of SQ747. First up, a game of bingo.

Luck just wasn't on my side (again)

Comment

Toast to the Queen!

Yuuuuuum...

SENG!

Towards MNL again

Where the enthusiasts gather. I overheard a lady from row 49 complaining to the crew about the noise. "I actually paid extra for this seat, you know. In return, this is what I get."

Indeed, there were many passengers who wanted the flight to be like a normal one. A passenger behind me got annoyed when the MC continuously went on and off the PA, thus disrupting his movie.

Stuff from the seat pocket

There was this Krisshop promotion where you get a free heritage model airplane set with a purchase of S$74.70 and above. I was tempted at first but reminded myself that it's nearly MYR200.

Then I realized there was another promotion, where you get a lucky dip with ANY purchase. Might as well, I thought. So I went flipping through the Krisshop catalogue, looking for the cheapest item available. I found a screen wiper for $12, and in return I got a makeup kit from the lucky dip worth $80
        Last edited by SilverChris; 13 May 2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Meal time!

Choice of: Fish and rice

Or Beef and potatoes

Had a Singapore Sling to go with it. They've got it perfect this time!

Could've had another serving
          Last edited by SilverChris; 15 May 2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

After laughing non-stop for 20 minutes, it was time for the last walk around the cabin.

There was queue at the back of the cabin. I thought it was for the lavatories, but turns around it was to take pictures of this infamous sign

Don't usually take pictures of aircraft washrooms, but in this case it's now or never!

A very nice touch to remind you that you're making aviation history

The IFE control panel

As I was waking back to my seat I spotted a very familiar face. As I approached the lady, I suddenly remembered that she was the tour guide for this 747 on display at the Singapore Airshow in February! She recognized me almost instantly and introduced me to her friends nearby. "Hey, meet Chris. I met him at the airshow two months ago! He was among the hardcores to did the turnaround!"

All of them were ex-SQ girls, who had fond memories working on the 747 back in the 80s and 90s. If you're wondering, they were onboard as normal paying passengers, not helpers or staff.

The end is so close now...

Comment

Great memories. Thanks SilverChris

Comment

amazing trip report!! Thanks!

Comment

Great trip report, thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    Another SQ B747!
                    Hope you don't mind me adding this pic here.

Singapore 748 Heavy lining up 07R, behind SQ Cargo 747-412BCF, for the final 747 passenger flight on SQ. China Eastern A380 taxiing behind.

Comment

As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end, and so does this unforgettable experience.

9V-SPQ makes a buttery smooth landing on runway 02R, followed by a round of applause by the passengers and crew.

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                      No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

As the legend taxiies back to B7, an LSS could hardly hold back her tears. 38 years of reliable service have come to an end, but this SQTalker is in no hurry to deplane. I bade goodbye to my seatmate, and continue to savour the final moments onboard. The next 15 minutes or so were spent chatting with the former crew SQ girls, who have been with the company since the times of the Super B (747-200B). I gather my belongings, thank the crew for their impeccable service, and reluctantly make my way back into the terminal.

I try, rather unsuccessfully, to capture a decent photo of the legend one last time. In my defence, plane spotting at night is never an easy task

As the 747 continues to be phased out across the globe, in favour of more modern (and more importantly - fuel efficient aircraft), it may well be a matter of time before she flies into the history books, existing as a mere memory in time to come. Boeing may be trying hard to continue the 747 legacy, with the production of the 747-8, only time will tell if it succeeds in doing so, with the somewhat muted response from airlines.

But one thing's for sure. The aircraft which has been synonymous with "The Romance of Flight", will remain in our hearts as the true Queen of the Skies.

Goodbye, 747, and thank you

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Congrats on finishing the TR! Shed a little tear at your last post there - it'll go down in history alright!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          But one thing's for sure. The aircraft which has been synonymous with "The Romance of Flight", will remain in our hearts as the true Queen of the Skies.

Goodbye, 747, and thank you

Thanks for reading.
                          The 747 has been the aircraft of my era, when flying was a rarity and much looked forward to. Many good memories of days gone by. And yes, it truly was synonymous with the Romance of Flight.

Thanks for the TR, SilverChris.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Shed a little tear at your last post there
                            The reason I wasn't on board. The reason I won't be at the A345 farewell flight. Too sad milestones...

Thanks again for the TR SilverChris
                            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 November 2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                              The reason I wasn't on board. The reason I won't be at the A345 farewell flight. Too sad milestones...
                              It's less sad when inebriated...

Comment

Working...
                              X