Hello Malaysia & Hong Kong! An Airbus Affair MEL-KUL-PEN-HKG-SGN-MEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Malaysia & Hong Kong! An Airbus Affair MEL-KUL-PEN-HKG-SGN-MEL

Welcome to my first trip report on SQTalk !

This is one of many vacations, and been reading trip reports for a while now inspired me to write my own little report!

Background Story
    Looking for some places to Holiday this year, we looked at numerous destinations in Asia, including Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. But looking at ticket prices D7/AK was the cheapest with the MEL-KUL-PEN-HKG legs costing just under $700 Australian crazy ! The return however was a little pricey but still adequate, QF & CX wanting to charge well over 1100 in Y - no thank you! Luckily VN offered cheap promotional tickets for flights via SGN, they sure are trying to make an effort to turn SGN in a sort of HUB! Hope you enjoy this Trip Report

Route
    MEL-KUL-PEN-HKG-SGN-MEL

Flight #1 25/11
    MEL - KUL
    Air Asia X
    D7 213
    Airbus A333
    Departure Time: 01:25 AM

I arrived at MEL at around 23:00 for this red-eye flight, already long queues were already forming at the assigned check-in desks, later I was notified that the flight was actually over booked and some very unhappy customers were left behind. D7 however were offering people who were willing to stay back 1 Night accommodation as well as a complimentary return ticket anywhere in the Air Asia network, pretty good deal !

After check-in I headed straight to immigration and security check with TG, SQ, PR, BI, QF, QR, EK all departing within the same time frame, I'm not waiting to find out how long the queues will be !

MEL upgraded its facilities around 2 years ago, it still looks very nice !

Cafe View, great place for coffee and some nice sandwiches

For those who has a little more to spend...

MH waiting for its pax to load to KUL

FID's, MEL is getting more and more busier, hopefully more destinations and new airlines come soon!

Getting ready for departure, MH already left !

Finally touched down at KUL LCCT early, went straight to collect our bags, to check-in for our next leg to PEN

Flight #2 25/11
    KUL - PEN
    Air Asia
    AK 5362
    Airbus A320

After check-in we decided to have some noodles from Old Town Coffee, didn’t know they had that! They really need the new KLIA 2 built quickly, the place is showing its age and as a foreign tourist to Malaysia it doesn’t leave a very good first impressions.

This leg was pretty much uneventful and landed at PEN just about an hour later.

We took a taxi straight to Holiday Inn Penang, a great resort and highly recommended! But it did have a distinct smell of lemon grass!

Pool

Thai Food, very expensive, but worth trying atleast once

Flight #3 29/11
    PEN - HKG
    Air Asia
    AK 1574
    Airbus A320

Unfortunately our paradise and relaxing part of the holiday had to come to an end and now its time for Hectic and crazy Hong Kong! Todays loads was 100%

Cruising through the skies just after take off

The cabin

Getting Darker

Landed at HKG !

Some Pictures of Hong Kong

Comment

Flight #4 01/12
      HKG - SGN
      Vietnam Airlines
      VN 595
      Airbus A321

After and enjoyable time in Hong Kong, fitting as much in in many little days, we were pretty tired and it was time to return home! Due to tight schedules I always have to leave on New Years day. Today we will be flying Vietnam Airlines back to Melbourne, as mentioned before it was cheaper to fly with them rather than direct HKG-MEL.

Parked next to Kingfisher (who sadly font fly to HKG anymore) and PAL

CX waiting for clearance, but we somehow got in-front

Cabin Shot

Some Lunch

Touch Down in SGN

Welcome to VN Land

I’m guessing J Van? For J pax?

In the bus

VN Premium Lounge - All SkyTeam FF’s welcome

Comment

QR & AF having a little rest

Comment

Flight #5 01/12
          SGN - MEL
          Vietnam Airlines
          VN 781
          Airbus A332

After a lengthy 4 hours stay at SGN, it was time to board to go back to MEL ! At the gate, it looks like todays load was going to be light. To my surprise VN-A381, VN's newest bird just barely a few months old will operate today's flight. I wonder why VN skipped VN-A380 ? Today's load was about 65% in Y with plenty of spare seats all over the place, I managed to occupy 2 seats next to the window all to myself. VN has a 2-4-2 configuration on it's A332's, the newer A332's have new Panasonic AVOD touch screen and the seats are very comfortable.

Today it’s Gate 9

Supper

Morning

Breakfast

Over central Australia

Near Touch down, with CX hiding under the wing ready for, HKG!

Touch down!

Melbourne in the early hours of the Morning

Overall I had 5 great flights, all flights were on-time or early and had great staff and crew. I would highly recommend AK, D7 & VN!

Interesting Fact: for the past 2 years all my trips to Asia have been on Airbus planes! MEL-KUL-SIN-MEL was on A333/A320/A388 and this trip on A333/A320/A320/A321/A332

Comment

Comment

Great stuff, MLFlyer!

Comment

thanks for the review. Interesting to see VN offer 2 hot meals on the overnight flight to Melbourne, same as Thai (but unlike SQ and QF)
                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Thanks for your report, glad you had a good trip.

Comment

Working...
                  X