In Pursuit of the Last SQ 747 Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Pursuit of the Last SQ 747 Flight

9V-SPQ on finals in MEL. Penultimate landing on foreign soil.

Where shall I begin?

Sometime in Sept last year, I was told that SQ had plans for a couple of 747 farewell flights. However, details were really sketchy back then and not firm. Nonetheless, I was already tipped off/hinted to/whispered to/tweeted to that the last regular scheduled service was on 25MAR12 ex-MEL on SQ238.

Since I had nothing planned 6 months out, why not do a MR and get back to SYD the following morning. KVS indicated that 17A/K on the UD were available, so I rang SQ up and made the necessary arrangements for ex-MEL/SIN. Booked myself on the first DJ SYD-MEL shuttle using outstanding credit from DJ. So the final itinerary was SYD-MEL-SIN-SYD, 24hrs 55 mins of travel time.

With the booking locked in, things lay dormant and largely ignored until the Singapore Airshow last month. SQ exhibited one of the remaining 747s during the event and I got a preview before it was opened to the public (Farewell to the 747). Around the same time, SQ announced the final 2 flights of the 747 will be on Good Friday to HKG on SQ747 & SQ748. At the same time, I was informed that there will be no planned festivities on SQ238 and they will be reserved for SQ747 & SQ748.

So all I had to do now was reschedule and reroute my flights and book the new flights (SYD-SIN-HKG-SIN-SYD). Unfortunately the biggest hurdle meant requesting permission from you know who (the significant other ).

Safe to say, everything's a go right now.

Disclaimer: This is an ongoing trip report. Some events have yet to occur.
    Last edited by Nick C; 27 March 2012, 01:21 PM.

So with the 747 flights changed to Good Friday, I was now I was stuck with a SYD-MEL sector on DJ.

My domestic runs are often on the flaming kangaroo so experiencing virgins have been pretty rare. So I thought why not try out their new domestic J product.

All I have to say, after 2 J flights on DJ. I'm sold and will probably not fly QF anymore. John Borghetti is doing an awesome job in turning DJ around and challenging QF.

The SYD lounge still has the old Virgin Blue interior and has yet to be refreshed to the new signature flagship styling. Whereas the MEL lounge has. While the new look is a welcome, I found it very cold, empty and sterile compared to the new generation QF Business Lounges & Clubs.
    More Pictures

MEL Lounge

Last edited by Nick C; 27 March 2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Wait, is this the HKG farewell or final MEL flight?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
        Unfortunately the biggest hurdle meant requesting permission from you know who.
        I don't. Who?

Back to the TR proper..

Comment

I have to say that I'm truly impressed by the deep passion (aka OCD by others) some of you guys are displaying in getting on this last flight/s.

On behalf of all SQ shareholders, I thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            I don't. Who?

Back to the TR proper..
            The SO who isn't a fan of metal birds.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            I have to say that I'm truly impressed by the deep passion (aka OCD by others) some of you guys are displaying in getting on this last flight/s.

On behalf of all SQ shareholders, I thank you.
            I'm channeling my dividends back to SQ.

Comment

*Virgin Australia TR Placeholder*

Will do SQ747/SQ748 first.

Comment

SQ747 SIN-HKG

Will skip the part of positioning SYD-SIN on SQ222. It was another routine commute for me. Same ol' same ol'.

Now on to SQ747. I got the usual birdy info early on but the time spent deliberating resulted in all the premium savers being snapped up and by the time I booked, I was stuck in whY on SQ890. Thanks to SilverChris, some switches were flicked up in KUL and I was moved to SQ747.

Holding Room Bravo 7, where the magic happened. Didn't take much photos of the performance but I'm pretty sure there were many other cameras recording the action. The selection of songs were befitting the occasion, especially "Glad You Came - The Wanted" (The chorus was something like "When the sun goes down...")

Sierra Papa Quebec being prepared for the penultimate revenue service. Was told that she was given a good scrub down in the wee hours of the morning before the flight. Kudos to the folks in SIAEC who I heard worked pretty hard in making sure the aircraft was 101% serviceable for the final flights. There was even a yellow LD3 ULD full of spares that was loaded into the belly hold.

The atmosphere on SQ747 was subdued compared to SQ748. There were many folks on board who were oblivious to the significance of the event. Guess they booked on SQ860 before the flight got cancelled. I had 48F & 48G to myself, the lady at the check in desk graciously blocked it for me. Mr I from SQ was going around apologizing to the folk who were mildly annoyed by the multiple groups congregating around the cabin.

Rachel Kelly from CNA was on board as well. I believe there's a short footage of feb01mel posing for CNA.

Last edited by Nick C; 10 April 2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The meals served on SQ747 was definitely on par with the "old" SQ. 3 choices in YCL and 4 choices in JCL.

YCL

JCL (Took 'em from my friend (with permission of course) - all shot with the new Canon 5DM3 )

Last edited by Nick C; 10 April 2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

A purchase of at least $74.70 entitled one to a free SIA Heritage Series 2 collection. Never in all my years of flying have I seen KrisShop have such brisk sales!

Since the flight had an extra hour added to it, our route headed towards MNL before being vectored to HKG.

Comment

Very very nice pics, Nick C!
                      Looking forward to the rest.

Comment

A purchase of at least $74.70 entitled one to a free SIA Heritage Series 2 collection. Never in all my years of flying have I seen KrisShop have such brisk sales!

post deleted
                        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          I don't. Who?

Back to the TR proper..
                          hahahahaha
                          HUGE AL

Comment

The atmosphere on SQ747 was subdued compared to SQ748.
                            I guess some turnaround pax were only just warming up...

Comment

SQ748

SQ747 touched down ahead of schedule in HKG and docked at Gate 25.

Turnaround Pax (>100) were directed to clear security and proceed to part 2 of the planned festivities. Same song and dance routine but the atmosphere was definitely different than B7's (More on that later).

The Megatop being prepared for its final passenger service for SQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X