Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Jumbo Jets: SQ & TG

A Tale of Two Jumbo Jets: SQ & TG

This is a trip report of flights that happened in April 2011 on another trip to Thailand that I took where I was going to volunteer with elephants again. I didn’t have the time to write up a report until now, so I apologize for that. This booking is mainly a combination of Delta Miles Redemption and My Aeroplan (*A) Miles Redemption. The Delta Miles (these DL miles actually came from my mom’s DL account) were used to get a roundtrip ticket from YYZ to JFK, and the other was used to obtain a roundtrip ticket between JFK and BKK. While I agree that JFK is a mess of an airport that’s best avoided, I really wanted to have another ride on the SQ “MEGATOP” 747-400 before they are finally retired.

The Jumbo Jets have been my favorite planes since I was a toddler, beginning with the –200s and then later the –300s, which SQ dubbed as “BIG TOP.” While KLM may have been the airline to provide me with my first ride on the Jumbo Jet (I wasn’t even 2 at the time), my ride on an SQ 747-200 was the first one as far as my actual memories go (first flight logged in my flightmemory account). I remember when the BIG TOP 747-300s were introduced, I thought no aircraft would be more beautiful than that, but 1989 proved me wrong when the MEGATOPS were introduced into the fleet, and my first flight on one of those was over 20 years ago in 1991 when SQ used to operate SIN-VIE-AMS-YYZ-AMS-VIE-SIN. I still remember 9V-SMB being the aircraft that served my very first 747-400 flight ever. This was the most photographed bird back then, and I believe she was also the bird that was used on the very first SQ 747-400 scheduled flight (9V-SMA was second). Back then, this was the flagship of the airline, and at one point, SQ was the largest operator having 42 frames in the fleet. Now, decades later, the airline is phasing out the remaining 3 planes (maybe even less or all gone, depending on when you’re reading this) in favor of the A380 and the B777-300ER. So here's my farewell to them.

Because these planes were being phased out, I needed to have one last trip on the upper deck, and if I had to go through JFK for it, so be it. While I do agree with most regular SQ 744 travelers that the Sky Suites, which is only found in SQ 747-400 first class (nose section) are arguably the best seats in the plane, and possibly even in the SQ entire fleet, for me (a non seat connoisseur), the 747 is all about the upper deck, and my favorite seat is #11A, followed by #11K. I’m happy with the SpaceBed and the comfort it provides, so I did a roundtrip Business Class Redemption from JFK-BKK where the following sectors were involved:

JFK-FRA SQ25 744
    FRA-BKK TG921 744
    BKK-FRA TG922 744
    FRA-JFK SQ26 744

I’ve also listed all the planes that were included in the entire trip. I will discuss the BKK-CNX-BKK on a separate trip report (The Jumbo to Jumbo Trip #3) later on when I get a chance to wrte that.

The Shuttle Flight to New York JFK International Airport

I arrived at Pearson Airport in Toronto at Terminal #3 on Tuesday April 12, 2011 about 3 hrs before my departure. This was the first time for me in 20 years where I was departing from Terminal #3 (I had picked up and dropped off friends and family members here plenty of times). This terminal seemed dull compared to Terminal #1, which is where I’ve caught most of my flights, but then again, Pearson isn’t really a great airport to boast about anyway. I had to pay $25 at check-in for the luggage for this flight. After checking in and clearing US Customs at Pearson, I decided to walk around the limited space of the terminal sections that I was permitted in. Because I had no lounge access for this flight, and because this was not Changi (where there’s always something interesting), the next 1.5 hrs would prove to be really, really boring.

Delta Connection (Pinnacle Airlines) DL4043
    Aircraft type: CRJ 200
    Reg #: N8672A
    Seat #: 6A

After finding ways to kill time, we were able to board N8672A, which was a CRJ 200 operated by Delta Connections Pinnacle Airlines. Seating arrangement is 2-2 and as seen in the pics, legroom was horrible, but I had both seats to myself. The only positive part of this ride was the set of shots I took of downtown Toronto with CN Tower, which used to be the world’s tallest free standing structure, the Rogers Center (formerly known as SkyDome), where the Toronto Blue Jays host their baseball games, and the Toronto Island Airport. Other than that, the whole time I was in this aircraft, I was just anticipating my ride on the Megatop.

We landed at JFK around 4:00pm (delay of about 30mins). I collected my luggage and decided to walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 4, since I still had an hour and a half to kill before the SQ counter opened.

Comment

The Ride to Frankfurt in the Megatop

After making my way to Terminal #4 arriving by foot at 4:50pm, I sat in a corner of this chaotic terminal playing with my Rubik’s cube, just to kill time until 5:30pm. When that time came about, I stood in line for the Business Class queue for check-in. Check-in was a breeze, and with my boarding pass, I also received an invitation card to the Oasis Lounge.

I am pretty sure I was told that the lounge was indeed before security, but for some reason I zoned out and walked through security only to realize that I had to go back out again. But that’s ok! It gave me an opportunity to photograph the SQ 747-400 side-by-side with an Emirates 380-800, which most people I know were happy about.

Singapore Airlines SQ25
      Aircraft type: Boeing 747-400
      Reg #: 9V-SPO
      Seat #: 11K

After leaving the airside area and coming back to landside, I made my way to the Oasis Lounge. Food Choices were very decent here. Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka were the main attraction dishes, complimented with vegetable pasta, steamed rice, vegetables, salad, and assorted sandwiches & wraps. Liquor choices were also fairly adequate, although as far as beer went, with the exception of Heineken, they had crappy choices (Sorry, but I hate American beer). I had a few bites and drinks, and spent some time on the workstations to check up on email/facebook updates just to kill more time. I even took a few shots from the lounge of various aircraft, including the SQ bird being towed to our gate.

It was getting closer to boarding time, so I decided to go through security (again) and wait by gate A7, where my ride was parked. Even though I’ve travelled on SQ Jumbo Jets plenty of times, I still get the nostalgic feeling whenever I board one. For me, this is Post #412 at the moment, which is also the Boeing model number for SQ 747-400. Sorry Kyo and sutrakhk, I enjoyed your recent TRs, but wanted to hold off on posting to maintain post #412 for this one for nostalgic reasons (I know I’m weird.. lol). The bird that would be taking me to Frankfurt was 9V-SPO, which was one of the two 747-400s I hadn’t travelled on previously (other being 9V-SPM), so I could check that off my list. I made my way to the upper deck, which is my favorite spot in the airline. My seat was 11K. I requested this because my favorite seat 11A had been occupied, unfortunately. My welcome drink was Bollinger Champagne, which was very refreshing.

We taxied towards the runway where we had to wait about 30mins before we got the clearance because of heavy air traffic (A common situation at JFK). After Take-off, I was watching a movie and dozed off, and I missed my SilverKris Sling, which I had ordered as my post take-off drink.

One of the kind stewardesses (I think her name was Kavitha) woke me up when it was dinnertime. Funny thing is she was very apologetic for waking me up, but I was actually thankful. I did the BTC for this flight and ordered the stir-fry chicken dipped in Chinese wine and chicken flavored rice. It was complimented with a lobster salad. Now, I did try to take pics of meals, but I apologize for not taking a pic of the salad because I had consumed it before I remembered. I’m sorry I’m new at this. Dessert was a choice of either mango ice-cream or chocolate ripple ice cream. Entire meal service was very delicious and it hit the spot. I was also given a SilverKris Sling to make up for the loss of the previous one.

I woke up a few hours later and started to watch the in-flight movies. Continental breakfast was also served. I apologize because I forgot to take any pics of the entire meal here. I had some Danish, croissant roll, and a small bowl of corn flakes, which were all adequate before my next flight from Frankfurt. I also had a few cups of Green Tea to go with that.

We descended at FRA at around a few minutes after 11:00am. As I exited 9V-SPO, I was greeted once again by the same pleasant staff that welcomed me into the aircraft. At my request, they greeted me just by my first name, making me feel young again. Even though I knew I would have another SQ 744 sector on the return, I still had semi-mixed emotional feelings as I made my way through transit security, before my next flight.

This would be my last proper pic I'd take of a Singapore Airlines 747

Comment

The Ride to Bangkok

After clearing security, I walked over to the gate where TG 921 was going to depart from in order to print out a boarding pass (They couldn’t do this at JFK). Unfortunately there was another flight departing from that gate at that time so they couldn’t issue me a BP until an hour later. However, I was able to use my ticket and my *A Gold card to gain access to the LH Business Class lounge where I was able to use the shower. Since there wasn’t much of a crowd at this time, I was able to gain immediate shower access.

After the shower, I decided to have a few bites to eat. I didn’t really want to fill myself up on lounge food as I really wanted to enjoy TG’s Business Class cuisine, so I just had some coconut soup with a small chicken sandwich and lots of green tea. As I was in the lounge, I saw 9V-SPO depart from her gate and taxi towards the runway for departure to Singapore. As she was taxiing, I saw HS-TGP, a TG 747-400 wearing the THAI Retro livery, being towed behind her towards the gate. It was evident that she will be my ride to Bangkok. In between all of this, I did make it back to the gate counter to print TG Boarding Pass.

Thai Airways TG921
        Reg #: HS-TGP
        Seat #: 12A

After using one of the complimentary workstations (Yes this lounge had 4 workstations for use) to kill time, I exited the lounge and walked towards the gate where HS-TGP was parked. I made it just in time for the First/Business Class boarding. My seat for this flight was 12A. Unfortunately 11A & K were both occupied. I made my way to the Upper deck of this aircraft, a little excited, as this would be my first time in the Upper deck of a TG 747-400. Unfortunately, my excitement was overshadowed by a little disappointment as I had realized that the overhead compartments of the Upper deck seats are relatively smaller than the main deck. I only carry a small backpack as my hand luggage, and while that is small enough to fit in an overhead compartments of an SQ 744 upper deck, the TG one was too small to accommodate that. I was able to squeeze the bag into the side bin somehow.

We were pushed back from the gate at around 2:45pm. I had orange juice as my pre take-off drink. We taxied for about 15 minutes before take-off. While the GE engines on TG 747 are definitely a little louder than the PW ones of an SQ 747, it was still quite serene in the upper deck.

Meals and drinks were soon served. I had a shot of vodka with orange juice (screwdriver). My meal choice was Chicken with eggplant in Green curry, with steamed thai hom mali rice and vegetables. This was accompanied by Chicken Satay, Duck Liver Pyramid with Wasabi Mayonnaise, smoked tuna and vegetable salad, along with mixed green salad with Italian dressing. Once again, because I am new at this, I forgot to take pics of some of the food before eating, so I apologize again for that.

I enjoyed the IFE and got a few hours of sleep before the next meal service. I found the seats in TG 744 to be very comfortable for a long flight like this, but I still prefer the Space Beds of SQ a little more (easier for me to sleep longer in).

Second Meal service was soon served. My choice was Noodle Soup with Chinese Roast Pork that came with fresh fruits and yogurt. I had plenty of Green Tea and Orange Juice on this flight as well. IFE choices on this fight were also fairly good. Quite a number of same new movies were on both SQ and TG flights, so whatever I could not watch on the SQ flight were viewed on this one.

At about 6:05am, we landed at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). I received the new Fast Track cards (the ones mentioned in this forum) for immigration, but this turned out to be pointless anyway since the regular line-up was a breeze. After claiming my luggage, I took the normal Toyota Corolla Taxi to the Grand Tower Inn (Rama 6), where I’ll be for the 2 next nights. I’ve attached few other photos take in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The elephant volunteer pics will be displayed on the Jumbo to Jumbo trip #3, which I’ll write up when I get a chance.

Comment

Some pictures in Thailand

Here are some random shots in Thailand. Any Elephant Volunteer pics will be on the following Trip Report.

Some Bangkok pics.....

.....and Chiang Mai pics

Comment

The Return

The Ride to Frankfurt

April 26, 2011 was the day that I’d be leaving Thailand. I stayed the night before at the Western Premier Amaranth Hotel at The airport area after arriving from Chiang Mai. I took the shuttle van to the airport around 9:00am because I wanted to check-in early and spend some time in the lounge. After arriving at the TG Royal Silk Counter, I requested if I could have my bags checked in all the way to YYZ using both the *A redemption ticket and the Delta Redemption ticket. I knew I had to clear customs with the bag at JFK and then re-check it in anyway, but I just wanted to try and save $25 on the Delta sector. TG was able to do that, so kudos to them.

After I cleared security, I made my way to the Royal Silk Business Class Lounge. Massage was also available but I opted not to go for it. Some members who are reading this will probably think I’d have to have my head examined for declining the massage, but I just wasn’t feeling like having one at that time. I enjoyed some steamed buns and other finger foods in the lounge. I also had plenty of green tea in there and also my personal favorite of vodka with pineapple juice.

Thai Airways TG922
            Reg #: HS-TGX
            Seat #: 14A

I walked towards gate C10 where I would be boarding HS-TGX, my ride to FRA. I boarded with the First/Business Class passengers, and made my way to the upper deck where I would take my seat. My seat for this flight was #14A. As mentioned on my TG921 sector, the small overhead bins had me try to squeeze my backpack in the side bins. My pre take-off drink was champagne.

We left our gate at around 12:35pm, and taxied towards the runway, where we would experience a smooth take-off. Drinks were soon served, followed by meal service. Starters and Appetizers included rice cracker with prawn dipping, along with smoked salmon parcel with cream fraiche, and salmon roe, wing bean salad with Roasted Chicken Thai Style. My main course choice was the prawns with pepper compote with vanilla veloute, and tossed spinach noodle. Dessert was cointreau crème I had champagne to drink, along with screwdriver, and regular orange juice.

I should also point out that TG was pretty disorganized with their meal service on this particular moment. They brought the wrong dishes for me, the person sitting next to me, and also for several other passengers. It was all rectified, so there was no major issue there for me, but did show a slight unprofessionalism.

Next couple hours were spent napping and checking out the IFE. The second meal service started with Amuse Bouche, along with Italian Smoked Speck with Melon, Marinated Norwegian Salmon Rose, and Stuffed Cherry Tomato with Mustard Dill Pickle. My choice for the entrée was Pork with Champignon Mushroom in Cream Sauce, Tossed Linguine Noodles, and buttered vegetables. I had Chocolate Mousse Gateau for dessert. I also had more champagne and screwdrivers. During the entire flight, I had plenty of green tea as well.

We descended at Frankfurt around 6:55pm. After clearing immigration, I made my way to the Albatross Hotel, which is located in the airport area. My luggage was left at airside because I would be catching SQ26 early next morning to JFK. Hotel wasn’t much to boast about. You have a single bed with a desk and bathroom, which are all the necessities I needed for the night. It was the cheapest hotel I could find around the neighborhood, but it was still more expensive that some of the better hotels I stayed at in Thailand in the past.

Comment

The Ride to New York (My final ride on a Singapore Airlines 747)

The next morning on April 27, 2011, I would be leaving Frankfurt for New York. This was where I had to endure a little fun. After I took a shower and vacated my room and checkout out, I realized that both my ticket printouts with my luggage tag were missing. I searched the entire room and checked with the hotel, and no luck. I decided to go to the airport anyway since I had my passport and my booking reference numbers for both tickets. At the SQ counter, I did encounter the anticipated problem of possibly not being able to trace my luggage. They ended up calling a Frankfurt SQ customer service supervisor, who was able to trace my tag# and things were ok.

Singapore Airlines SQ26
              Reg #: 9V-SPO
              Seat #: 11A

Lufthansa's Big Birds!!

Foreign A330-200s!!

747s again!

I went to the Senator Lounge before my flight. All I had was a chicken sandwich, yogurt, and some green tea. This lounge was very small, and it was the lounge that had direct gate access to the LH A380 flight for JFK. After about an hour, I made my way to gate C4 through security again where my ride to JFK was waiting. The bird here would be 9V-SPO, which was the same bird I took on SQ25 to FRA on journey out to Thailand. I guess this would mean 9V-SPM would remain as the only bird I haven’t traveled in, and will remain that way (It has found a new operator).

As I ascended the stairs into the upper deck, I received my welcome drink of Bollinger Champagne. We pushed back at around 8:35am and taxied towards the runway. Since this ride was probably going to be my last on an SQ 747-400, I even took a shot of the end of the safety video, which did feature a 747-400 in the closing. Other times I’ve flown with SQ in the last 3+ yrs, whenever the final message of “Have a pleasant flight” came, they’d show an A380 or 77W at the end, regardless of what plane it is. So this was definitely sweet.

After a smooth take-off, breakfast was served. Appetizer included fresh fruits, followed by Corn Flakes and milk. For my main course, I decided to go with the Beef Kwei Teoh in Soup, which was very delicious. I had a couple of SilverKris Slings to compliment that. The SilverKris slings I had on this journey would most likely be the last ones I’ll have inside an SQ Jumbo Jet.

For the IFE, I just ended up watching the 2 Harry Potter movies (Part 6 and Part 7a) which pretty much filled in most of the void time on this flight. Nuts were soon served with Bollinger champagne. I actually had quite a few refills of this Bollinger because traveling in J class is a rarity for me, so I decided to take full advantage of it. During this time, the passenger who was sitting on Seat #11K had his b’day celebrated SQ style. Nice to know that if you happen to travel on J class on your b’day, SQ will make sure it gets recognized.

Light Meals would soon be served. For the appetizer, I had grilled chicken caesar salad with garlic bread. For the main course, I did the BTC. My choice was honey-glazed duckling with vegetables and Chinese egg noodles. This really hit the spot. I’m sorry, I forgot to take a shot of the dessert, but it was New York cheesecake, which was very tasty.

We soon made our descend towards New York. I also took a shot of the safety card because this would be the last time I step foot inside an SQ 747-400, so I took one for good memories. We made a smooth landing at JFK and taxied past several aircraft, including at EL AL 747-400, to get to Terminal 4. As I walked down the stairs past the very pleasant staff, I thanked them for the excellent service they’ve provided. It was also really cool that they addressed me by my first name as opposed to Mr ….., and this made me feel like a kid again, as opposed to a guy who’s entering his mid 30s. I even told the staff that I hope SQ keeps the 747-400s a little longer or order the 747-8Is, to which the leading steward chuckled and said he wishes for that too. With the "Farewell 747s" that Singapore Airlines is marketing for March-April, it's definitely not in the cards now. I know it’s wishful thinking. But I guess because that the Boeing 747 has played a very important role for the long haul flights for Singapore Airlines for the past almost 40 years, some crew will probably still get that nostalgic feeling when flying and serving for this aircraft. This time when I left the aircraft, I almost got teary eyed because I had a feeling that this would be my last ride on an SQ 747 (most likely the upper deck anyway). And that feeling turned out to be true, as I'm not planning on flying between now and May.

Last edited by sumitsan; 2 March 2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The Delta rides to Detroit and then to Toronto

I cleared immigration and customs and then left my luggage at the transfer counter for it to be taken to the Delta flight and got both my Delta BPs. My return back to Toronto was a 2 flight sector routed as JFK-DTW-YYZ. My flight to Detroit, which was DL1528, was operated by a B767-300 with a registration of N178DZ. I walked to Terminal 3, where I would catch my flight to DTW. After going through security, I decided to walk around the terminal to do some plane spotting. I actually did plenty of walking around because I had no lounge access for these flights. I even walked to Terminal 2 (through airside) to the Wendy’s.

Delta Airlines DL1528
                Aircraft type: Boeing 767-300
                Reg #: N178DZ
                Seat #: 31A

At around 3:00pm, I boarded N178DZ to Detroit. Seats were very crammed, but thankfully, I had both seats to myself again. We taxied towards the runway around 3:30pm, passing 9V-SPO, which brought me to JFK a few hours prior. Unless SQ postpones the withdrawals further, or somehow miraculously decide to order the 747-8I, this would be the last time I see an SQ Passenger 747 in person. We had to wait for an hour before we got the clearance for take-off. This was one the negative factors of JFK. After flight of almost 2hrs, we landed at DTW (Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport). Because my flight to DTW was delayed significantly, I had to literally walk fast (and even run at times) to the gate where DL6462 would be departing. When I arrived at the gate, I asked the gate staff if my luggage made it to this flight. She checked and stated that it made it to DTW, but it’s in the claims area. I immediately told then that I needed it sent to this flight, to which she replied she would put out the request, but there are no guarantees because of the little time given. At this point, I had a little bit over an hour before departure, which I thought was adequate time. But then again, I had to understand that this isn’t Changi, where all staff are efficient, and will get the bag transferred on the next flight, even if transit time was 40mins.

Delta Connection (Comair Airlines) DL6462
                Aircraft type: CRJ 100
                Reg #: N959CA
                Seat #: 9A

So at around 7:30pm, I boarded N959CA, which was a CRJ100 that’ll take me to YYZ. During this flight, my mind was just occupied on whether I’ll get my luggage at YYZ or not. Seats were crammed, and this time, I did have someone sitting next to me, so no way to stretch the legs for me.

We landed at YYZ at around 9:20pm and immigration was a breeze. Unfortunately for me, my possible worst case scenario happened. My baggage did not make it to YYZ (It was traced and still in the claims area in DTW). Wow, the efficiency of DL staff and American airports (my brother had a similar experience at a US airport as well)!! They said they would deliver it to my house the next day, which they did, later in the afternoon.

Comment

All in all, I had a great vacation in Thailand, and had excellent flights in the most part, with the exception of Delta, and the luggage disaster on the return. I really enjoyed the SQ and TG business class flights in the upper deck, but was a lot more impressed by SQ, even though I’ve travelled on the Upper Deck Business Class of SQ a few times already. I had been on SQ business class before this (SpaceBeds on the 747-400), so the comfort of that is not news to me, but the service just seems to get better and better for me. I also liked the fact that they called me by my first name, which made me feel like the same young kid who got excited every time he got on the MEGATOP. My very first ride on an SQ 747 happened when I was 3, and my last ride on an SQ 747 happened over 30 years after that. As I write this, there was a post in the 747-400 withdrawal thread that SPO has been shipped to Transaero Airlines. Hopefully these planes will be used by various operators for a long time to come. Even if SQ miraculously orders 747-8Is (which is pretty much confirmed as a No for now), nothing will rival to the beauty of the 747-400, which always be the most beautiful aircraft to have ever been part of Singapore Airlines. They were the true workhorses for 2 decades on SQ’s medium/long haul routes, and have always felt comfortable when travelling in them, regardless of the incidents with SPK and SMT. It’s great that SQ is at least doing these farewell 747 events, which indicates that they do have some partial nostalgic feeling for the aircraft. Thank you SQ 747 for the three decades (since 1980) of service you provided for me!! You will be missed!!! I'm glad my last ride was inside the MEGATOP section.

TG is also an excellent airline, and I am a huge fan of them as well, but they did lack a little bit of soft skills. They weren’t as personable as SQ was, and while their meals were delicious on both flights, their presentation of the main course on TG921 was pretty bad. The small overhead bins in the upper deck of the 747-400 were also a disappointment. Now I lucked because my carry-on was a small backpack, which I was able to squeeze in the side bin. But there were other passengers with larger carry-on bags that the stewards and stewardesses had to take down to the main cabin (lower deck) for storage, which may have been an inconvenience for those passengers (would’ve been for me). On TG922, the in-flight crew was pretty badly disorganized, giving incorrect meals to the passengers, although that may have been a glitch and not an issue for me. The TG IFE seems a little fancier than the SQ one for J class on the 747-400; both were user friendly, so that wasn’t an issue for me. So SQ wins over TG in overall comfort and service. While TG is an excellent airline, they do have to make some improvements to compete with SQ, based on my experience here. But I will still travel on them.

The other flights, TG102 & TG103, will be discussed on an upcoming TR that will be titled “The Jumbo to Jumbo Trip #3.” Please feel free to leave comments.

Comment

Very interesting TR, Sumitsan. Thank you!

Comment

An enjoyable read sumitsan. I like TRs with a North American perspective. Nice pictures.

On my last SIN-FRA-JFK, we used C gates at FRA. Needed to go through security walking to the lounge. And security check on re boarding.

On the way back, JFK-FRA-SIN, we used B terminal. No need to go through security at all.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome TR! Glad you got to experience both Jumbos and thanks for sharing

My very last experience on the upper deck of the SQ Queen of the Skies shall remain the one on the morning flight to SYD three years ago, I'm afraid.
                        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                          Very interesting TR, Sumitsan. Thank you!
                          You're welcome, and thank you for the compliments.....

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          An enjoyable read sumitsan. I like TRs with a North American perspective. Nice pictures.

On my last SIN-FRA-JFK, we used C gates at FRA. Needed to go through security walking to the lounge. And security check on re boarding.

On the way back, JFK-FRA-SIN, we used B terminal. No need to go through security at all.

Thanks for sharing.
                          You're welcome. and Thank you for the compliments. Your SQ744 TRs on the SpaceBeds and SkySuites (and Kyo's LH TRs) have been inspirations to helping me complete this one, so Thank you for that.

And the double security on flights to JFK can be very annoying!!

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                          Awesome TR! Glad you got to experience both Jumbos and thanks for sharing

My very last experience on the upper deck of the SQ Queen of the Skies shall remain the one on the morning flight to SYD three years ago, I'm afraid.
                          You're welcome too, and thank you too for the compliments!! Was a bit disappointed by TG's small overhead bins in the upper deck.

And I remember the morning 747 flight to Sydney. I believe it was SQ219 at the time. My last experience on that particular flight happened a couple years ago, and was on 9V-SPE, which is now in the Cargo division of SQ.

Comment

Love the TR!

Comment

Working...
                            X