Farewell To the 747

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell To the 747

As we all know that SQ is withdrawing the 747 revenue service. With all these fanfare for a decommissioning of a fleet type, it's a big hint that the 747-8I will never be ordered.

SQ has converted 9V-SPQ into an in cabin museum for its stay at the Singapore Airshow, showcasing relics which were used during the 38 odd years of B747 service.

9V-SPQ has been earmarked for the last revenue service on SIN-MEL for 24/25 MAR and the commemorative flights SIN-HKG on 6 APR.

Last edited by Nick C; 26 March 2012, 12:14 PM.

So you get to walk down memory aisle.

Cabin looks immaculate. Like fresh from a C-Check. No idea how it will look like after the hoards trod through it the next 2 days.

Relics from the yesteryears

Comment

LD J (Looking through my flight log, I realised I have yet to sit in J on the LD before. )

Wedgie Seat fully deployed

UD J

Knowing SQ, the flight deck is out of bounds but they had posters of 747 cockpits on display. Had a peek at our favourite seats - 17A & 17C, looked rather worn from too many bums.

Comment

There was a familiar figure upfront! Anyone recognizes her?

Still the best bed in the sky (Though I dislike the container housing it )

Stuff used in F over the years

Comment

Oh gosh... the memories!! I'm trying to work out from my Log how many miles I flew on SQ's 747's, just for remembrance

Comment

My SQ 747 "career" in numbers :

Flights: 163, totalling : 357,603 miles
            • 747-200: none
            • 747-300: Big Top - 6
            • 747-400: Megatop - 157

• Shortest flight: SQ117, 31 August 1997 9V-SMA SZB-SIN
            • Longest flight: SQ1 - which i only had the pleasure of doing once 13/12/2005 on the Sarong Party Girl

Flown frames:
            N118KD
            N123KJ
            N124KK
            9V-SKA
            MA, MB, MC, MD, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, MM, MN, MP, MR, MS, Auckland Tail strike special, MU (whilst wearing the 1000th logo), MV, MW, MZ (most flown 12x), PA, PC, PD, PE, PF, Sarong Party Girl, PH, PI, PJ, PL (whilst in tropical livery), PM, PN, PO, PP (in both star and regular livery), PQ

Notable absentees: the late PK.

Bye bye SQ747 - I will miss you! (a bit)

Long live the 380 . I flew on SQ25 JFK-FRA-SIN last week in Blueberry. Gotta say that DOES have 4F on the 744 well beaten

Comment

My first F trip was on a Jumbo, the version before the Megatop. The F seat then was much simpler. Remembered that I was quite intoxicated by the champagne; rescued by the steward who very kindly gave me warm towels to cover my lobster red face in. During that time they even had a mini-library onboard. Good memories. But yes, goodbye to a very tired product.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

• 747-200: none
                • 747-300: Big Top - 6
                • 747-400: Megatop - 157
                Do you have a little book to note down every flight you've taken, SQflyergirl?!?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  Do you have a little book to note down every flight you've taken, SQflyergirl?!?
                  Yes, I keep records, and all flights have a commentary line to remind me of it. Here's an example:

Friday, 25 November, 2011 KUL SIN SQ 107 51K 333 9V-STJ - Lady took my seat, then moved back to her own seat 50K to be with her child and hubby and then rammed the seat in my face.

Comment

Yes, I keep records, and all flights have a commentary line to remind me of it. Here's an example:

Friday, 25 November, 2011 KUL SIN SQ 107 51K 333 9V-STJ - Lady took my seat, then moved back to her own seat 50K to be with her child and hubby and then rammed the seat in my face.

Comment

That's probably the total number of flights and miles I have flown in the last 9 years since I started logging.

Comment

Makes me wonder where will the F seats go after they're out of service

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          Makes me wonder where will the F seats go after they're out of service
                          I am quite certain that, given the opportunity, a few members here will pay for the privilege of having them installed in their living rooms.

Comment

Excellent pics, Nick C. Brings back fond memories.
                            Thanks again for sharing your pictures with the rest of us.

Comment

Love this...I would certainly look at my favorite 17A and 17K this Sunday when I visit the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X