Swimming On Top Of The World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming On Top Of The World

Last December I got a free night at the Marina Bay Sands with its stunning infinity pool at the SkyPark on the top floor. Hearing how impressive it is I didn't pass on the chance to check it out. Heard the rates start from SGD500 so that's another reason to redeem!

Sounds luxurious, but the same can't be said about the way my journey started.

Yep, the LCCT of KUL. "Nothing more than an air-conditioned shack" says Tony Fernandes. Well, that's exactly what it is.

But after paying MYR39 (versus MYR390 for MI) for a one way ticket, one can hardly complain.

AK703 departs at 1240 but it wasn't until 1235 that boarding was called.

Boarding the AMAZING A320

Niner Mike - Alfa Foxtrot Quebec

Settled for 29A. No EMEX for me today. But at least I got a whole row to myself Loads were about 70%

Gear up at 1251

Circling around the islands near Batam

Arrived at 1355.

The immigration at T1 was unbelievable. Never before had I seen such a long queue although this isn't supposed to be peak hour.

Off to T3 then. The immigration there was literally empty. As I was on the escalator going down all the officers were staring at me

The X'mas tree at the lobby

Queued for 30 mins to check-in, only to a room at the 7th floor. No view at all

To be continued

Comment

Open the windows... let the mozzies fly in from the planter box beneath... then argue your way in the good name of customer services. I got op-ed up from 9th to 53rd last time...

Oh what a PITA I am.... looking forward to your review.

Comment

Had to interchange between lifts twice before getting up there. On the 55th (or so) floor your room key is checked before you're directed to yet another lift that goes up to the 57th which is the skypark.

Wasn't very crowded, thankfully. It was evident that most people there were North Asian.

Was really stunning when you swim to the edge and look down. Practically the whole island was in view! Oh, and if you're wondering whether or not the edge of the pool is really the edge of the skypark (as it seems in photos), there's still another corridor below where the lifeguards constantly patrol. Too many suicide cases perhaps

On the south side you get a clear view of the Straits of Singapore and jets approaching Changi.
        [
        Last edited by SilverChris; 20 January 2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Great post and pics!

Comment

Enjoying this TR. Thanks

Comment

That pool is truly breath-taking. Thanks for pics, SilverKris.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                That pool is truly breath-taking. Thanks for pics, SilverKris.
                You've got me confused with this chap http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=2740

But thanks for reading!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                  You've got me confused with this chap http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=2740

But thanks for reading!
                  Mea culpa!

Comment

Great HR

North Asian.
                    Middle Kingdom?

Comment

Great review and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Am I correct in saying that most hotels would not allow cameras at the swimming pools? But I guess this place would be different, since it has such a view! Since it's akin to a tourist attraction, I guess cameras are allowed?

Comment

I was thinking to see another "whale" here .. lol .. i love MBS will be there next week..cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

Am I correct in saying that most hotels would not allow cameras at the swimming pools? But I guess this place would be different, since it has such a view! Since it's akin to a tourist attraction, I guess cameras are allowed?
                          Indeed they do. When they opened a few years back, I was invited for a "private" tour of the rooms and the top floor. Since it was such a novel place back then and dinner was included, I dragged my SLR along with my tripod, snapping at the pool ... and the background. But I didn't post them, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

Thanks! I wasn't aware of any restrictions there, if any at all. In fact there were dozens of guests snapping away, even IN the pool.

Originally posted by Handiman View Post
                            I was thinking to see another "whale" here .. lol .. i love MBS will be there next week..cheers..
                            FYI, there was a bathtub in my bathroom

Comment

FYI, there was a bathtub in my bathroom
                              What are you waiting for?

Thanks for this TR

Comment

Working...
                              X