Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome

Let me begin by wishing everyone Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and wealthy 2012

This trip was taken in November to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Over the course of two weeks, we visited Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome.

The trip began with a nice surprise from Cathay Pacific. We were originally booked on C but were upgraded to F during check-in as it was my birthday. Everyone CX staffs including the check-in agent, the lounge reception and the gate agent wished me happy birthday. Immediately upon boarding, the in-flight service manager and the F crews gathered to hand me a signed birthday card and a bottle of Krug as birthday gifts. It was a very nice and very timely gesture considering my birthday will be over in 30 mins time (the flight is scheduled to depart at 11:45pm on my birthday)!

For the supper, my wife and I opted to dine together. I will let the pictures to do the talking but please excuse for the blurry pictures (the cabin was very dim as many other passengers were sleeping and i dared not use the flash):

Appetiser

My Chinese double boiled soup with preserved Shanghainese style cold cut meat and my wife’s pumpkin soup

Salad with roasted artichoke

Chinese main course option

Steak

All washed down with Krug. We skipped fruit, cheese and dessert as it was late.

Woke up 3 hours before the scheduled arrival. Breakfast was served on a la carte basis whenever you wanted.

Fruit, bread basket, yogurt, mixed berries smoothie and coffee

Dim sums and a small piece of corned beef cake

“Midnight in Paris” accompanied during breakfast – I like the movie very much

Ammenity kits (male version by Zegna; female version by Trussardi) and pajamas

Arrived in CDG fresh, fed and ready to go !

to be continued ....
    Last edited by Flyerfly; 21 December 2011, 01:01 AM.
    When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

sorry guys i will fix the photo when i get home later today ...

FIXED
    Last edited by Flyerfly; 21 December 2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

oh, you've got a very interesting flight
      The picture is beautiful and warm
      I wish Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and wealthy 2012 too

Comment

Happy Chinese New Year ! Gong Hei Fatt Choy and wishing you a healthy, wealthy and prosperous Year of Dragon !

We began our trip in Paris, and for the next 3 days, we called Le Burgundy home. Le Burgundy is at rue Duphot and adjacent to the shopping strip of rue Saint Honoré. We liked the location, which is within walking distance to the Lourve, Place de la Concorde, Place Vendôme and la Fayette.

The decoration of Le Burgundy is modern yet warmth and the room size is considered big for Europe.

View from the balcony

Breakfast was served at the lobby restaurant named The Restaurant (very creative right ahem), Michelin 1 star. There is a lovely courtyard smacked right in the middle ...

We didn't have a set agenda for the 1st day in Paris so we just walked around in the vicinity of the hotel and went to Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe ...

Place Vendôme

Arc de Triomphe

View from Place de la Concorde

Comment

Very, very nice pics indeed Flyerfly! Looking forward to the next update.

Comment

I have no idea what a CX DM is but whatever it is, CX certainly loves you!

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing the report.

Comment

pretty photos and a marvelous find for your hotel in paris! Happy Anniversary!
              I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                I have no idea what a CX DM is but whatever it is, CX certainly loves you!

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing the report.
                DM is CX's highest tier of member of its club.

Comment

Time to resume the trip report .... after a one year lag

The next couple of days, we joined a walking tour along the Seine River, visited Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre, Les Invalides and Eiffel Tower ..

On the last night in Paris, we decided to order room service ... very yummy

Comment

The next morning, we took an AF flight from CDG to our next destination - Venice!

Look who I saw in CDG ...

Ooppss ... Can't find the photos of the AF flight ... but it's really nothing special though .. just a very routine intra-Europe flight
                    After a two hours (or less) flight, we arrived at Venice where we were transported to the jetty to board the water ride to the hotel .. our conceirge (the guy in suit) is very polite and humorous, although he looks just like my impression of a typical Italian gang member from the movies haha

Bump into a Big Foot trying to jump into the water. With his shade on.

some very nice view along the way ...

Approaching Piazza San Marco

Reaching our home for the next 4 days .. Hotel Londra Place, which is just a few blocks away from Piazza San Marco ...

Were given a room on the 1st floor ... despite requesting for a high floor room at booking ...

View from the room - quite noisy at times as it is very close to the main street where many activities/ hawkings were going on

Rather small but comfy bathroom ...

Comment

After a brief rest, we went out to walk about .. first stop, St. Marco Square ...

We stopped by at the very old, very opulent and very touristy Florian Cafe for tea ...

Dinner time !

Comment

With a very very very full stomach, we strolled back to the hotel to find that another room on the top floor (which is the 4th floor) has been allocated to us ...

with very nice view ...

The next morning, we woke up to a rainy and very windy day ...

But we braved on to Murano Island as my misses wishes to buy some glass ...

Murano glass were indeed very nice ... after a few hundred Euro poorer, time for food again ...

Comment

After lunch, we visited Murano glass museum, then took the public water bus back to Venice ... and of course we can't miss the Realto Bridge and the surrounding area ...

And then more seafood !

Night view ...

Comment

The next two days in Venice, were unfortunate rainy and windy again .. so we took it easy and had plenty of rest in the hotel, only ventured out to the surrounding area for dinner ...

one of the best dinners we had during this trip ... at La Caravella

Fritto Misto

very yummy duck meat pasta and lobster risotto

A veal dish

Dessert and coffee

Comment

On the day of our departure, the water started to overflow ...

We took a water taxi to St. Lucia train station for our onwards journey to Florence ... on the way, caught another glimpse of St. Marco Square ...

A nice surprise to see Oriental Express at the station, lots of people posing with the special reception .. including me

From what I can see, passengers today are mostly from a large Japanese tour group ...

First class seat on Oriental Express ... looks very cosy ! very tempted to try one day ... guess it is going to be very very expensive !

Our train to Florence today ... not as glamorous, but very modern, comfortable, and fast !

Bye bye Venice ...

Comment

Working...
                              X