Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying the Kangaroo to Oz (6 sectors, 5 aircraft types)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying the Kangaroo to Oz (6 sectors, 5 aircraft types)

Couple of weeks back, I need to travel to Canberra for 11 days on a working trip. As my company has the policy of "flying with the cheapest full-service carrier" available, I was booked on Qantas for the trip. Over the weekend, I had also booked myself a short trip to Sydney. Overall, I would be flying Qantas on 6 sectors! How exciting can that be... On the bright side, I had booked on 5 different aircraft types, from the prop to the whale (Dash 8-Q400, B734, B738, B744 and A380) and as I had not flown QF internationally before, it would definitely be an experience. This report would be picture extensive, as per my previous reports.

27 November 2011
    Qantas
    QF 6
    Singapore (SIN) - Sydney (SYD)
    B747-400
    VH-OJA (QF's First B744)
    Economy Class

I had done online check-in 24hrs before and had grabbed myself a window seat in the mid-section of the plane. The plane was almost all sold out and on check-in, the middle seat was still vacent. Crossing my fingers it would be remain vacant! True enough (unfortunately), it was 100% full in economy when I enquired with the check-in agent at the baggage drop at Terminal 1. OMG, I am gonna get stuck at the window seat for the 7hrs flight...

Got a proper boarding pass at the bag drop counter. Was also issued with the boarding pass to Canberra. However bags needed to be retrieved at Sydney for customs clearance and re-checked in to Canberra.

Proceeded through immigration to the departure hall. The plane had already arrived from Frankfurt. It would be operated by Qantas's first B747-400! That is a 22 year old plane!

More plane-spotting. It was kinda boring with Jetstars and more Jetstars.

Seeing "stars" by now.

Departing from Gate C15. Boarding has already commenced but there was still a long queue clearing security. Boarding the legendary B747 again!

Welcomed by the crew and directed to the correct aisle. Almost all the crew today were "experienced" guys (only saw 2 ladies). However most were friendly and professional with the exception of 1 or 2 crew who did not really smile much.

Boarding in progress and passengers settling in. It was a horribly full flight! Guess it doesn't help much with the A380 operating the morning departure to Sydney instead. The seats are not re-upholstered in red covers yet. Unlike my previous flight a few yrs back where the seats were in red.

Seat width and pitch are really tight! It was going to be real torture...Thank goodness I can stretch my legs under the seat in front.

At the gate. Slightly delayed due to a no-show pax whose baggage needed to be off-loaded. Flight time was announced to be 7hrs.

On each seat was placed a blanket, large pillow, amenity kit and headset.

Unlike SQ, QF offers toothbrush set and an eyeshade in its amenity kit.

Stuff in seat-pocket. My seat was missing the inflight magazine.

As we were still waiting, the crew distributed menu cards. However no hot towels offered, haha. Interestingly, most of the crew on this flight were bilingual (seen from the national flags on their name-tags), probably due to the many code-shares. The 2 crew members serving my aisle can speak Spanish and French too! All announcements were also made in English and German.

Nice menu card. At least QF has not got rid of this.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Lets look at the menu. There is also an interesting time-line of the services provided during the journey of the flight.

SINGAPORE TO SYDNEY

MENU

Mediterranean Summer Salad

Choice of
    Braised Chicken in Tomato and Olive Sauce with
    Polenta and Beans
    or
    Kung Po Style Pork Stir Fried with Fragrant Rice
    and Greens

Soya Bean Pudding with Lychee

Chocolate
    Grinders Coffee Dilmah Tea
    Cadbury Hot Chocolate
    Peppermint-Tea

Fresh fruit will be served throughout your flight

CAFE BREAKFAST

Orange Juice
    Strawberry Yoghurt
    Pain au Raisin
    Grinders Coffee Dilmah Tea

The beverage menu is eye-boggling!!

Finally we are good to go. Safety demo was done both through video and manual demonstration by the crew. Lights were slightly dimmed (QF does not fully dim cabin lights for takeoff/landing). Had a rather long taxi to Rwy02C for takeoff.

Passing a Cathay B773 at Terminal 1.

And Lufthansa's A380 at Terminal 2!

Took off! Surprisingly no queues for takeoff. No video though as it was very dark. We made a right turn over Tekong and was on our way to Sydney.

After seatbelt signs were turned off, the crew sprang into action. First up, distribution of bottled water to all passengers.

No nuts/bar service though. Dinner was served less than an hour after takeoff. Some crew wore aprons while others changed into the service uniform (mandarin collar black shirt). I chose the pork with rice. Also had a Bundaberg Ginger Beer and a Jacobc Creek Sparkling Wine.

Salad and main course. Boring salad. Pork consisted of only very few minute pieces. Vegetables were overcooked. It was just very average.

Pudding and chocolate. The pudding tasted kinda disgusting! A very under-whelming meal overall...

While the meal trays were cleared. crew offered either peppermint tea or hot chocolate. I had the Cadbury hot chocolate. It was served with a marshmallow! Perfect bedtime drink!

Everything was cleared less than 2hrs after takeoff and lights were dimmed.

Visited the lavatory but no amenities in there other than the necessities, so no photos taken. I watched a movie and tried to get some sleep. But it was quite impossible in the cramped seats and I ended up half-awake most of the time.

Slightly less than 2hrs to landing, lights were turned back on the a light breakfast was served. The raisin pastry was served warm and quite nice. A nice change from SQ's muffin and roll.
    Last edited by ycp81; 11 December 2011, 02:00 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

The entire flight was relatively smooth. Even when there were slight turbulences (which felt strong enough for SQ pilots to turn on the seatbelt signs), the seatbelt signs were never once turned on. Apparently Qantas pilots are much less "trigger-happy" with the signs.

Dawn

Cabin after breakfast.

Starting our descent into Sydney. Headsets were never collected and we were free to use them from boarding till landing! Entertainment system were also switched on shortly after boarding with announcements that we can start using the IFE till we were parked at the gate on arrival! So what is the "safety issue" here, SQ?

Speedbrakes up. Leaving the coast before making a turn to line up with the runway.

Flaps down.

Rising sun over the sea. Pardon for the badly-scratched window.

Landing soon on Rwy34L.

Smooth landing into Sydney. No thrust reversers used.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujhw...A&feature=plcp

Taxi to gate.

Parked at the gate.

Disembarking.

My first international flight on Qantas and would I do it again? Probably not long-haul on the B744 as it is really too cramped for me! Coupled with the big recline angle, it was really claustrophobic when the person in front fully reclines. The meals on this sector were probably average (dinner was bad, breakfast was ok) but hot chocolate was great! No complaints regarding the service either. We will see how the return flight on the A380 compares.

Cleared immigration, retrieved my check-in bags and cleared customs and proceeded to the Domestic Transfer counters to drop my bags for the next flight. Took the complimentary Qantas transfer bus to the domestic terminal. The bus went across the tarmac straight to the T3, Qantas's main domestic terminal.

Air Austral B773ER

Qantas B744

My Travel Map

Comment

Visit to Qantas Heritage Museum

Passing the Qantas Hangars while on the transfer bus.

QF B744ER with F1 Livery

Another QF B744ER, in Wunala Dreaming Livery

Reaching Qantas Land, aka Terminal 3.

QF B738

FIDS

Saw a Qantas Heritage Museum on the upper level of the Terminal. Being the aviation enthusiast, of course I paid a visit since I still have some time till my next flight. Entry is free but it is opened only during weekdays working hours.

Lots of Qantas models on display.

Old vs New

The various Qantas uniforms through the years.

Interesting exhibits!

I want that bag!

The heritage museum also had a great view of the tarmac and runways! A QF B763 preparing for the next domestic flight.

More QFs and Jetstars.

My Travel Map

Comment

Air Austral B773ER taking off.

Boarding gates.

The transit in Sydney was 2hrs. Plenty of time to do the transfer between the 2 flights. My flight to Canberra would be departing from Gate 9. At every gate, there were newspaper racks offering the day's publication for free to all Qantas passengers. A very nice gesture!

28 November 2011
          Qantas
          QF 787
          Sydney (SYD) - Canberra (CBR)
          B737-400
          VH-TJZ
          Economy Class

Operating today's short hop to the capital is VH-TJZ, a 15 years old B734. Certainly younger than the B744 I flew in on.

Boarding was announced 15min prior to STD and passengers trooped onboard. Headsets were also available at the gate. Wow, even inflight entertainment is offered for such a short flight! Was welcomed at the door by name and directed down the aisle to my window seat near the aft of the baby boeing. 4 cabin crew would be looking after us on this flight.

At the gate. The B744 beside would be operating to Perth.

Boarding. Most pax were business travellers who frequent this route i guess, making the boarding very swift and fuss-free.

Seat pitch is acceptable for such a short flight.

The middle seat remained empty. Yeah, more room to stretch out!

Inflight magazine and safety card in the seat pocket.

Long time not seen dial-type IFE controls! Radio channels were already playing during boarding.

Doors were closed on time and we pushed back. However there was a slight delay due to morning congestion and a further delay due to a long taxi to the runway. No wonder QF padded their Canberra Cityflyer flights at 55min when the actual flight time is at most 30min. Again safety demo was shown both on video and manually.

The F1 plane out of the hangar.

SQ A380 being towed to the remote stand.

My Travel Map

Comment

Looong taxi to Rwy34R. For those who knows the layout of SYD, it meant taxiing for almost 5km! Passing a newly painted Virgin Australia B738. LAN A340 just landed in the background.

Rex Beech 340

Jetstar A320. I think I saw more Jetstars in SIN than in SYD!

The taxi was so long that the pilot used the taxi time to gave his announcement.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EJ_-cGAny0

Delta B772LR landing on Rwy34L.

Finally we took off from Rwy34R!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16IsoWTi0Cc

Blue skies and sea.

Making a right turn back inland.

At this time, seatbelt signs were switched off. Crew immediately started the morning refreshment service. 2 male crew were in charge of economy while the female CSM and another guy were in Business. Morning news was also shown on the overhead CRT monitors. Service was from the front to the rear and was very fast but polite.

Spot SYD!

Sydney city in the distance.

We flew along the coast to Wollongong.

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Lovely pics!

Comment

Overflying Wollongong.

For morning snack, we were offered a breakfast bar and a choice of juice or water. I had the juice, which came in a 250ml bottle. More than sufficient for this very short flight! SQ/MI could learn from this on their SIN-KUL flights. There was also a waste bag and a napkin.

Great weather and nice scenery!

Very soon, we were starting our descent into Canberra, barely 15mins after takeoff!

Making some turns.

Flaps down.

Another turn to short finals. See the runway in the distance?

Rough landing into Rwy35, probably due to strong crosswinds. The engines were spooling up and down throughout the approach.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnOFqFbMSE

DJ's new ATR72. Expansion works were going on at the terminal.

At the Qantas side of the terminal.

Parked at the gate, beside a B738.

Disembarking.

It was a very pleasant and short flight on Qantas, just barely enough time to serve a snack and drink but the crew made it happen so effortlessly. Guess they are all well-trained on this very short (even shorter than SIN-KUL) sector. Was also impressed at the availability of free newspapers prior to boarding and inflight entertainment! Qantas really do perform well on the short domestic hops!

My Travel Map

Comment

Scenes of Canberra

Very old Qantas playing cards!

My Travel Map

Comment

More scenes of Canberra and Koko Blacking!

Kangaroo steak!!

My Travel Map

Comment

Over the weekend, I flew up to Sydney as there is only so much that one can see or do in Canberra. As there are no budget airlines plying the SYD-CBR route, airfares are actually quite expensive for such a short flight. My flights on Qantas booked on short notice cost A$129 tax inclusive each way. Virgin Australia was no better, with fares around the same price. I had also booked on the QantasLink operated flight so as to experience the Dash 8-Q400, a new aircraft type for me!

03 December 2011
                      QantasLink
                      QF 1468
                      Canberra (CBR) - Sydney (SYD)
                      Dash 8-Q400
                      VH-QOA
                      Economy Class

Checked in was done using the self-check in counters at Canberra Terminal.

My boarding pass. The flight was operated by QantasLink (aka Eastern Airlines).

Cleared security without much hassle and entered the small terminal building. Most of the arrivals/departures were from Sydney.

Qantas B734 taxiing to the gate.

Nearing the gate.

Boarding in progress for the earlier baby boeing flight to Sydney.

A Q300 and Q400. I would be flying the longer Q400.

Flight would be departing from Gate 14. Again, free newspapers were available at the gate for all Qantas passengers! I wonder if Virgin also provides free newspapers.

VH-QOA would be flying me to Sydney this morning.

Boarding.

QantasLink supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation!

Fuselage view.

My Travel Map

Comment

Was warmly welcomed at the door by a friendly crew member who greeted me by name. Nice gesture by Qantas again. In fact, out of my 6 sectors, I was only not greeted by name on the first sector SIN-SYD flight. Kind of amazing, I must say. There were 2 female cabin crew looking after us on this flight. Boarding was orderly and plane was quite full. However I still scored an empty seat beside me.

Legroom was very good! Much better than the B744/734 aircraft flown so far. Quite an irony since these props fly the shortest route.

Another view of the seats. The seats cannot be reclined though.

Qantas inflight mag, QantasLink inflight mag and safety card.

At the gate.

Flight time was announced to be 30mins. Quite a standard flight time for the sector, regardless of jet or prop. However departure was delayed for a short while due to, again, a no-show pax whose baggage needed to be offloaded again. The captain apologized for the slight delay though. No worries as the sector time was padded at 50min. Interestingly, the jets have a longer padded time of 55min.

Push-back and we were off! Safety briefing was done manually with a voice recording. No inflight entertainment facilities on the Dash 8.

Takeoff from Rwy35.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjONsoFhpZo

Making a left turn.

Climbing and service announcement after seatbelt signs were switched off.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHNM6Yw8kfc

Clear skies and great weather!

Crew started the refreshment service. One crew distributed snack boxes while the other served drinks. Hot coffee/tea, juices and water were offered. Not bad!

The lovely snack box.

Contents of the snack box: Pastry, trail mix and mints. Impressive!

The strawberry danish was freezing cold though.

My Travel Map

Comment

I had a juice. QantasLink serves bigger bottles of juice (350ml) as compared to Qantas mainline which gave 250ml bottles.

The prop had already started its descent when I was served my drink. Trash was rapidly cleared away by the 2 crew who worked non-stop throughout the flight.

Another cabin view during descent. Whole flight was very smooth.

With the great sunny weather and clear skies, I knew I would be in for fantastic scenery during landing. Flying over the southern suburbs of Sydney.

Beautiful!

Gears down...

Final approach with Sydney skyline in view.

Spot the famous Sydney icons!!

It looked like a miniature city from up here! So unreal!

Landing on Rwy16R and taxi to the gate. Really long post-landing announcement!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xejrLSzlA_g

Back to Qantas land.

Disembarking the plane.

View of the tarmac. Welcome to sunny Sydney!

One word, impressive! Really amazing of QantasLink to serve a substantial snack on the short hop and even offer hot drinks! Kudos to them! Lets see if Qantas can outdo its small sister on the return.

My Travel Map

Comment

I enjoyed your TR and the photos of my old stomping ground, SYD, thanks

Comment

Sydney!

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X